• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer/CVG Rumor: Sony to have new controller for PS4; CVG: PS4 unveiling in weeks

Ashes

Banned
old mockup (read: fake):

Uuv0zcS.jpg

Ashes

Banned
i thouth it was not a screen but rather something like the ps vita back touch pad thingy.

Kotaku have a different source. They claim to have a dev with a dev kit.
CVG/Eurogamer have sources, probably devs, that appear to have knowledge of the many iterations of the control pad.

Monas

The Dualshock is the most iconic gamepad in gaming, from the late 90s vg bloom and after.
It would be wrong to replace it. They could enhance it by dumping the crosspad for a touch pad or something, but to dump it all together would be a bad move.

BadWolf

The Dualshock is the most iconic gamepad in gaming, from the late 90s vg bloom and after.
It would be wrong to replace it. They could enhance it by dumping the crosspad for a touch pad or something, but to dump it all together would be a bad move.

They can just have a DS4 as an optional accessory for those that really want it.

After 3 generations a new controller is a must imo.

jaosobno

It would be wrong to replace it.

So no progress for the sake of nostalgia? No thx, redesign the thing. DS3 is too small, has crappy plastic and abysmal L2/R2 buttons. It needs to improve considerably. And yeah, add a small LCD on it for the sake of easier text chat, search functions, etc.

tzare

And yeah, add a small LCD on it for the sake of easier text chat, search functions, etc.

In fact LCD screen could be used , not only for gaming (options, maps, stats, items/menus, leaderboards, seending locations on maps or other online strategies with friends for multiplayer games) but as a OS notification screen too, as an optional method to receive PM's, notifications (trophies, invites, real time chat/like whatsapp for example)

That's doesn't mean they can't change size or add some elements.

Whatever the controller ends up being, I bet it won't have a DPAD.

dpad is mandatory for legacy gaming purposes. if Sony wants to continue to sell ps1,2,and 3 games through psn it has to be there. especially since touchscreens are terrible at emulating them. fighters in particular require dpads with extremely high accuracy.

jaosobno

In fact LCD screen could be used , not only for gaming (options, maps, stats, items/menus, leaderboards, seending locations on maps or other online strategies with friends for multiplayer games) but as a OS notification screen too, as an optional method to receive PM's, notifications (trophies, invites, real time chat/like whatsapp for example)

I agree, all great suggestions.

Whatever the controller ends up being, I bet it won't have a DPAD.

Of course it will have d-pad. It makes no sense for them to remove it.

Of course it will have d-pad. It makes no sense for them to remove it.

It actually does, since 90% of games today basically use the dpad for things like switching weapons or something similar. Not even sports games use them anymore.

Compatibility with PS1/PS2/PS3 can be resolved via the touchscreen/touchpad.

amar212

And why is that? Take a look at 20 best selling PS3 or 360 games. Not one of those games actually require the use of dpad. It's an ancient relic.

I presume how more-less 50% of Gran Turismo players wouldn't agree with you ;)

Also, I would argue about X/O/S/T buttons being killed before D-pad in some future, but that's just me..

And why is that? Take a look at 20 best selling PS3 or 360 games. Not one of those games actually require the use of dpad. It's an ancient relic.

That's not true at all. I use it all the time. Typically it's for menu selections and precise choice selection. The PS3 controller is better in this regard. It's easier to mis-select something on the 360 controller.

The more I read about Sony, the more apparent it becomes that no one has a clue what they're doing. They've likely only shed light on the PS4 to major third parties and their in house talent to keep leaks from jumping out.

I presume how more-less 50% of Gran Turismo players wouldn't agree with you ;)

Also, I would argue about X/O/S/T buttons being killed before D-pad in some future, but that's just me..

Well, GT is perfectly playable with sticks (I play it like that) and there's always the superior option of buying a wheel. Dpad is not necessary.

Draft

Next gen systems could probably lose the d-pad. I hope they don't, but Lagspike is right. It's a menu tool in practically ever AAA game. It selects weapons or special powers or some other thing from a list.

Razgreez

Next gen systems could probably lose the d-pad. I hope they don't, but Lagspike is right. It's a menu tool in practically ever AAA game. It selects weapons or special powers or some other thing from a list.

Force people who want to play fighting games to get a stick. Prefer to use the D-pad for 2D games as well amongst others

Limanima

So no progress for the sake of nostalgia? No thx, redesign the thing. DS3 is too small, has crappy plastic and abysmal L2/R2 buttons. It needs to improve considerably. And yeah, add a small LCD on it for the sake of easier text chat, search functions, etc.

Crappy plastic? Since when? My controllers have +4 years and look perfect, and I have 2 children that keep dropping them.

Hold up your DS3 controller...

Notice how all fingers have use except for your pinkie and , Those fingers will now have a touch interface that will allow for pinching, pushing, clicking(under ring finger) and swiping.

And I think its gonna be pretty terribly implemented at first. But it would keep the DS form and use 100% of your hand.

SonnyBoy

All they have to do is switch the dpad with the thumbstick and I'll be on board.

I loved the DS during the PS2 era. This gen, it felt old. I need offset thumbsticks, plz & thank u.

Ashes

Banned
no d-pad? Needs a futuristic update?

6eFkhVo.jpg

Looks cool, but low on functionality.

I like the thought that went into this one:

HlevNSB.jpg

Limanima

All they have to do is switch the dpad with the thumbstick and I'll be on board.

I loved the DS during the PS2 era. This gen, it felt old. I need offset thumbsticks, plz & thank u.

I don't get this. Why should they be offseted? Doesn't that depend on the game?

DESTROYA

The more I read about Sony, the more apparent it becomes that no one has a clue what they're doing. They've likely only shed light on the PS4 to major third parties and their in house talent to keep leaks from jumping out.
How do you figure?
From all reports I've read and seen it pretty much keeps pace with whatever MS is doing, the new controller will be fine and keep all the elements of the DS3 while adding new features. I just hope it's not the break away mess I have seen but with rumors of the new PS4 controller having a OLED screen I don't see that happening .

Trogdor1123

My god i wish something firm would just come out from both MS and Sony to stop all this speculation... i just want to talk about games!

Apath

I'm hoping we'll see something like this:
WFybIxP.jpg

Functional and doesn't affect traditional gaming.

My god i wish something firm would just come out from both MS and Sony to stop all this speculation... i just want to talk about games!
Discussing hardware can be just as interesting or more interesting than discussing games. Hardware shapes how the games look and play.

iceatcs

Dualshock 3 still support if the new controls have different function. Like Wii with GC controller ports but bluetooth.

DBT85

I can't see them dropping the D-Pad personally, not so soon after the got it spot on with the Vita pad.

I played Rayman Origins with that pad and it was beautiful.

wwm0nkey

I'm hoping we'll see something like this:
WFybIxP.jpg

Functional and doesn't affect traditional gaming.

Discussing hardware can be just as interesting or more interesting than discussing games. Hardware shapes how the games look and play.

Needs to happen!

ZaCH3000

The position of the analog sticks doesn't seem very comfortable. They must be closer.

I think this would be the perfect solution:

jblPmDhaPIwUoz.jpg

I like your design the most. This controller design would pump me up for next gen. The ergonomics look great, the screen can be useful, and the design is simply gorgeous. Touch pad integration in the back could work well with the interface at that size as well. Implementing commands for your index finger on the back of the controller wouldn't impair gameplay as much either. E3 can't come soon enough.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I like your design the most. This controller design would pump me up for next gen. The ergonomics look great, the screen can be useful, and the design is simply gorgeous. Touch pad integration in the back could work well with the interface at that size as well. Implementing commands for your index finger on the back of the controller wouldn't impair gameplay as much either.

Yeah, I love the ergonomics on that mock up. It looks so goddamn comfy and the wider controller would also probably stop complaints about the sticks being even.

Top Bottom