• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: For Sony, Destiny treated as if it's a first-party release this xmas

I think his point is that Destiny will outperform TitanFall ON THE XBONE. If that's his point, he may have something. If it does (which is looking like a real possibility) that is more damning than just which title each company (MS and Sony) chose to back.

Not that I have any problem with TitanFall.. for a first title from a new studio it was damn impressive. I have much bigger hopes for TF2 (and will hopefully be able to play it on PS4 this time)

The first problem we're going to have is that EA has never explicitly stated how many copies of Titanfall were sold on each platform. So it's unlikely we're going to have an answer to this question anytime soon.

your statement is weird.. and kind of pointless.. DC and LBP3 are each well over a month out.. no way are they going to be marketed yet. The Order best case scenario is almost 5 months out.. Complain about marketing in a month or so... not months before the games release..

Well, it's not like Sony started marketing Destiny last month.

I don't really understand, what possible reason there would be for Sony to dilute the message of the largest new IP launch of the year, which happens right now, where they have an exclusive marketing deal and when they want to keep up the momentum. This is the only sensible thing for them to do to strengthen the Playstation brand. And I would imagine that there is a clause in the deal with Activision about a set sum of money being spent for advertising, so whether they wanted or not, that money was going to be spent.

They will have time to advertise Driveclub and LBP when their launch is closer. I'm not sure if they even need to with Driveclub, though, because there will be a huge install base due to PS+, and if the game is good, Sony will have a bunch of ambassadors making sure that the world knows.

They wouldn't be "diluting" anything. They have already done the most that is logical to do with a multiplatform game. They have a white PS4 Destiny bundle, exclusive content, "ultimate Destiny experience on Playstation" "makers of Halo and publishers of CoD."

Now they are adding a meaningless statement to the mix that doesn't accomplish anything, when they could be promoting real exclusives that add real value to your system.

Why is so much time dedicated to a multiplat in comparison to the competition when you have many exclusives worthy of more marketing like The Order, LBP3 and DRIVECLUB, which all need it more than Destiny does.

Many PS4 owners were tired of them showing Destiny over and over at games shows and wanted more emphasis/marketing on some of those exclusives so clearly I an not alone on this.

If Sony believes they can do nearly all the marketing for these games in the month of release, then I feel that is very, very short-sighted. They didn't start marketing Destiny on September 1st. Many times impressions are made about games months in advance(i.e.The Order and LBP3 to a lesser extent in terms of what's new in it) and games that are promoted months in advance tend to sell better than those that are not unless the brand is unusually strong. There's is to much focus being placed on a multiplat, we are already aware of what it will do/is doing. Spend some time on games with lesser hype that are actually true exclusives to the system and add value for the consumer. Imagine if Microsoft started promoting Sunset so late?*

*Hint: It would I bombed very hard

Call of Duty is not being pinned as the main reason to buy a XB1 in the near future, so it is odd that Sony would do this to such a huge extent to push a multiplat as the primary reason to buy a PS4 until Bloodborne, when they have many upcoming exclusives.

Many people on GAF have stated they want to see more marketing of those upcoming games like this guy

While LittleBigPlanet 3 and DriveClub get virtually no marketing and The Order is a PR clusterfuck.

Nice cherry picking a long post btw

Destiny will sell far more than Driveclub and LBP3, so Sony co-marketing it and pushing it as a Playstation release is understandable. They're not claiming it's exclusive, but they're pushing it hard because it will benefit the console and consumers will associate the game with Playstation. We'll also see the same thing with Destiny 2 in a couple of years, whether Sony still have a co-marketing deal or not.

I understand why this is being done man, but why are they pushing it so much harder than their real exclusives, when their competition is not doing the same and they have exclusives they should be promoting in a better manner? There's no need to make tasteless staments about it being similar to a first party game at this point. This is just a short post as I can't fully reply long posts to every single person who quotes me. Refer to my reply post to another user on this immediately before this one for a much more detailed and better explanation.

I understand why this is being done man, but why are they pushing it so much harder than their real exclusives, when their competition is not doing the same and they have exclusives they should be promoting in a better manner? There's no need to make tasteless staments about it being similar to a first party game at this point. This is just a short post as I can't fully reply long posts to every single person who quotes me. Refer to my reply post to another user on this immediately before this one for a much more detailed and better explanation.

Because it will sell much more. Much more.

The end.

EGM1966

Dude they're treating it like an exclusive because they believe it can sell more consoles than any other title in this timeframe (exclusive or not). Its a business decision nothing more.

When (if) we get a view of sales and understand uplift we'll know of they were right.

Personally I believe the role of exclusives has changed as has role of titles perceived to be better on one platform vs another.

Non exclusives if marketed right can deliver the same or better results than an exclusive in terms of driving hardware spikes and that's what this is all about as a strategy.

For all the noise that gets made about MS's marketing machine, Sony's is far more canny in this regard. Although I bet that locking up marketing deals with Destiny and GTAV probably cost them a pretty penny.

I get the distinct impression that the GTAV co-marketing deal is a replacement for Agent possibly never coming out (or not being exclusive when it does). It doesn't make sense for Rockstar to make a platform exclusive game at this point, and IIRC Agent was supposed to be part of the agreement for Sony letting Rockstar publish LA Noire.

Because it will sell much more. Much more.

The end.

That's irrelevant. It's a multiplatform game, the exclusives are what should be marketed more, period. Many in the userbase have agreed with this. It's fine to market a multiplat, but this meaningless statement adds nothing and will not affect sales in anyway, shape or form. They need to spend more time marketing exclusives that add real value to the system and need the marketing more.

Refer here for more insight:
I don't really understand, what possible reason there would be for Sony to dilute the message of the largest new IP launch of the year, which happens right now, where they have an exclusive marketing deal and when they want to keep up the momentum. This is the only sensible thing for them to do to strengthen the Playstation brand. And I would imagine that there is a clause in the deal with Activision about a set sum of money being spent for advertising, so whether they wanted or not, that money was going to be spent.

They will have time to advertise Driveclub and LBP when their launch is closer. I'm not sure if they even need to with Driveclub, though, because there will be a huge install base due to PS+, and if the game is good, Sony will have a bunch of ambassadors making sure that the world knows.

They wouldn't be "diluting" anything. They have already done the most that is logical to do with a multiplatform game. They have a white PS4 Destiny bundle, exclusive content, "ultimate Destiny experience on Playstation" "makers of Halo and publishers of CoD."

Now they are adding a meaningless statement to the mix that doesn't accomplish anything, when they could be promoting real exclusives that add real value to your system.

Why is so much time dedicated to a multiplat in comparison to the competition when you have many exclusives worthy of more marketing like The Order, LBP3 and DRIVECLUB, which all need it more than Destiny does.

Many PS4 owners were tired of them showing Destiny over and over at games shows and wanted more emphasis/marketing on some of those exclusives so clearly I an not alone on this.

If Sony believes they can do nearly all the marketing for these games in the month of release, then I feel that is very, very short-sighted. They didn't start marketing Destiny on September 1st. Many times impressions are made about games months in advance(i.e.The Order and LBP3 to a lesser extent in terms of what's new in it) and games that are promoted months in advance tend to sell better than those that are not unless the brand is unusually strong. There's is to much focus being placed on a multiplat, we are already aware of what it will do/is doing. Spend some time on games with lesser hype that are actually true exclusives to the system and add value for the consumer. Imagine if Microsoft started promoting Sunset so late?*

*Hint: It would I bombed very hard

Call of Duty is not being pinned as the main reason to buy a XB1 in the near future, so it is odd that Sony would do this to such a huge extent to push a multiplat as the primary reason to buy a PS4 until Bloodborne, when they have many upcoming exclusives.

Many people on GAF have stated they want to see more marketing of those upcoming games like this guy

While LittleBigPlanet 3 and DriveClub get virtually no marketing and The Order is a PR clusterfuck.

Nice cherry picking a long post btw

That's irrelevant. It's a multiplatform game, the exclusives are what should be marketed more, period. Many in the userbase have agreed with this. It's fine to market a multiplat, but this meaningless statement adds nothing and will not affect sales in anyway, shape or form. They need to spend more time marketing exclusives that add real value to the system and need the marketing more.

It's not irrelevant at all. It's the most important part in all of this. If Destiny sells 9 million on Playstation compared to 4 million on Xbox, Sony's decision to put a lot of marketing behind it will be vindicated. Just because Sony are pushing Destiny doesn't mean their exclusives coming out soon cease to exist.

Of course it's going to sell more copies. It's on the 4 biggest platforms. [/B

But suggesting that they bet on the wrong game, when Destiny isn't even exclusive, seems strange to me. Microsoft still has the benefit of Destiny being on their console.

This is far from the truth because Destiny is not on PC and PC is biggest platform you can get depending on the game and with this being fps it would be right at home.

Dude they're treating it like an exclusive because they believe it can sell more consoles than any other title in this timeframe (exclusive or not). Its a business decision nothing more.

When (if) we get a view of sales and understand uplift we'll know of they were right.

Personally I believe the role of exclusives has changed as has role of titles perceived to be better on one platform vs another.

Non exclusives if marketed right can deliver the same or better results than an exclusive in terms of driving hardware spikes and that's what this is all about as a strategy.

Yes I understand that this is the basis of the reason they're dong this, but they've already marketing it more than reasonably enough for a multiplat. This statement won't affect sales AT ALL so it's kind of pointless for them to say. They should've spent this time on REAL exclusives. Most have already played Destiny due to the Alpha and Beta and those that have not have seen the massive Activision/Sony marketing campaign.

No one is being swayed by anything said anymore other than if they're waiting for reviews/user opinions. If they want the game they've bought it/will buy it. If they don't want the game then they don't. It is not necessary to add anymore to the marketing campaign with strange statements such as this.

We differ on the issue of multiplatform games generally being bigger system sellers than exclusives if marketed right. I believe that a Halo or Gears bundle will far outsell a CoD bundle as it multiplatform and can be played elsewhere similarly just as I believe that and Uncharted or Gran Turismo bundle would sell far more than a Destiny bundle. I'm certain that neither of us will be swayed on this issue so I'll leave that there. The numbers will show which is the case just as you've suggested.

There are legitimate concerns on how the marketing has gone for the nearest upcoming Sony exclusives like DRIVECLUB, LBP3 and The Order in comparison to a multiplatform Activision game like Destiny. There has to be a legitimate build up to the full on marketing and so far there has been little. All of these should be major upcoming games for Sony yet they've largely ignored them in favor of a multiplat. I mean c'mon how many times can they show that same The Order demo that many had negative impressions of. That's the furthest game away and even that released in
~5 months. Little Big Planet has also had content concerns in comparison to the previous games that need to be addressed and marketing needs to better for all three of these games instead of continuing to champion a multiplatform game that will undoubtedly sell well regardless of what is being said.

That's irrelevant. It's a multiplatform game, the exclusives are what should be marketed more, period.
The product which will make you the most money is the product that you should market the most.

Also I see people complaining about The Orders marketing. WTF? That game isn't even out for another half year practically.

A_Gorilla

Banned
Cool story. Obvious typo. I just woke up on the west coast here. Interesting to see sucky ass user review scores for Destiny so far on both console versions.

I imagine you did since there's nothing to fight of my post before that. Nowhere in that ad does MS say those are all exclusives or say anything about those being all exclusive. All they say is what you see in that ad.

Grasping at straws aren't we? They put multiplats in with exclusives and then boast about they have the best exclusives. What is the Average Joe supposed to infer?

It's not irrelevant at all. It's the most important part in all of this. If Destiny sells 9 million on Playstation compared to 4 million on Xbox, Sony's decision to put a lot of marketing behind it will be vindicated. Just because Sony are pushing Destiny doesn't mean their exclusives coming out soon cease to exist.

If we look at pre order charts and the fact that it is a Bungie game, this CLEARLY will not be the case. It will obviously sell more on PS4 due to the higher user base, exclusive content and bundle, but I highly doubt that will be the ratio and there's not much evidence to suggest this looking at the trends.

Even if this did happen, what exactly was accomplished? This particular statement affected nothing. They've already done enough marketing for Destiny and this wasn't necessary. Plus, there are twice the amount of PS4 users as well as the other above stated factors, so it wouldn't really be a huge win.

At this point they might as well not exist because there is no spotlight on them at all compared to Destiny. CoD will clearly sell more than Sunset Overdrive and the like, but Microsoft hasn't placed all it's eggs on a multiplats basket. That is the point. Cod and Destiny will obviously sell well and there's no need for statements like this.

Handy Fake

The product which will make you the most money is the product that you should market the most.

Also I see people complaining about The Orders marketing. WTF? That game isn't even out for another half year practically.

Indeed. People also forget that this is the is the precursor to a series with a ten year life-cycle. They want as much coverage and hype as possible from the get go because if it doesn't take off at the beginning who is going to want to invest money in a game with such a shelf-life if there's no-one playing it?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Cmon dude. Marketing dollars aren't allocated in the way you're describing, and certainly not for titles nearly 6 months out. The way you're telling it, the fact that Sony is spending money on Destiny means they can't do the same when the PR campaign for #Driveclub and The Order come on deck.

That's not how this works.

FmBqA0S.jpg

Destiny is fucking everywhere here in the Netherlands. Cant turn on the TV without seeing the commercial and billboards promoting the game. It was even in the news, last time a game got so much promotion was GTA V. In contrast i haven't seen any ads for the Xbox One.

If we look at pre order charts and the fact that it is a Bungie game, this CLEARLY will not be the case. It will obviously sell more on PS4 due to the higher user base, exclusive content and bundle, but I highly doubt that will be the ratio and there's not much evidence to suggest this looking at the trends.

Even if this did happen, what exactly was accomplished? This particular statement affected nothing. They've already done enough marketing for Destiny and this wasn't necessary. Plus, there are twice the amount of PS4 users as well as the other above stated factors, so it wouldn't really be a huge win.

At this point they might as well not exist because there is no spotlight on them at all compared to Destiny. CoD will clearly sell more than Sunset Overdrive and the like, but Microsoft hasn't placed all it's eggs on a multiplats basket. That is the point. Cod and Destiny will obviously sell well and there's no need for statements like this.

You are talking nonsense DC will have more marketing than sunset overdrive will have due to fact there is free version to play that you can upgrade.
Marketing is not only ads plus you don't how much money Sony spend on Destiny compare to other games.

EDIT before i forget looking at some games they sell 2 to 1 on PS 4 especially in Europe so sales can end up like that .

labaronx

I expect sony to start any marketing for driveclub next week.

Driveclub is a special case as a portion of the game comes with plus and you have the option to buy it at a discounted price if you like it.

How is sony supposed to market that exactly

Every major game conference has already passed and no spotlight was placed on these games at all. They will likely not be marketed much, until a few weeks before release and by then it will likely be too late.

Impressions/Opinions of games are usually formed much before a games release week. Don't you think it's strange that we've seen the same The Order demo over and over, when there has been so many negative impressions? There needs to more done on this front to get this and concerns for other games out of people's heads and have them excited for the game.

Obviously, the game that makes the most money should be marketed more overall. However, this additional marketing changes nothing and won't impact sales. No meaningless statement will. They would be better served promoting the exclusives than this multiplat, which will already sell well. The exclusives are better sell for your system and need the marketing in comparison to this HUGE budget multiplat that is already all over the place.

SerTapTap

3 people I know on Twitter (so far) who either loathe consoles or strongly prefer Xbox picked up a ps4 because of Destiny.

They're really doing this well and I can't really blame them for it.and they're pretty up front about it unlike certain times exclusive deals.

Also goes to show that yes third party games, yes even multi plats, sell consoles. But this should have been obvious.

Every major game conference has already passed and no spotlight was placed on these games at all.
Wait what? Sony showed off the Order and LBP3 at the last E3. Driveclub was showed to people at the show.

They will likely not be marketed much, until a few weeks before release and by then it will likely be too late.
The best time to market a game is right before it comes out. The average person swayed by a TV ad isn't going to remember a game is coming out in 3 months.

Impressions/Opinions of games are usually formed much before a games release week. Don't you think it's strange that we've seen the same The Order demo over and over, when there has been so many negative impressions?
I'm sure RAD and Sony aren't happy about the poor impressions (I'm not sure about 'so many') but demos take a lot of time and manpower to make. Maybe they're just focusing on finishing the game.

Anyway I wouldn't get so concerned. These things they take time.

Wait what? Sony showed off the Order and LBP3 at the last E3. Driveclub was showed to people at the show.

The best time to market a game is right before it comes out. The average person swayed by a TV ad isn't going to remember a game is coming out in 3 months.

I'm sure RAD and Sony aren't happy about the poor impressions (I'm not sure about 'so many') but demos take a lot of time and manpower to make. Maybe they're just focusing on finishing the game.

Anyway I wouldn't get so concerned. These things they take time.

C'mon man, if we're being honest, me and you both know Sony has not promoted these games like they should or in the same way that Microsoft has done with their exclusives. DRIVECLUB was not apart of their E3 conference, although it was apart of their show floor. The Order has had the same gameplay for ages, and hasn't been promoted like it should be as many other users have stated such as Amirox and Naughty Doge.

Of course the marketing will be most strong just before release, but there also needs to be a bigger push than this far BEFORE this release. It's undeniable that this would lead to better sales.

Hopefully, Sony does do this in a timely manner, but up to this point they have not given us reason to believe that will be the case. I sincerely hope that they prove many of us wrong though. DRIVECLUB will be released in under a month and LBP3 in two months, while the Order will be released in ~5. There has been a little promotion, but the marketing for them is not where it should be.

I've said before that I don't think either platform has any blockbuster exclusives this holiday, and as such, I expect the Destiny split will set the trend at least through the holidays, and possibly throughout the next year.

I don't understand...why didn't MS outbid for the exclusive marketing?
They have a working partnership for COD...This should be even easier with the rapport between the two companies.
Did Bungie step in and say no? Because there couldn't be a way that Sony outbid MS in these type of deals.
To hear Bungie tell it, it's not so much they said no to MS, but rather they said yes to Sony.

"Sony's been a really good partner all the way back to the beginning when we were first talking next-gen, and when we first started building Destiny," Osborne said. "We really didn't know where anybody was going, but it became really clear talking with Sony at the outset that their vision really aligned with where we wanted to go."

But it was more than their visions aligning - Osborne said Bungie even influenced the PlayStation 4's design.

"They worked with us, of course, on core systems and the controller itself - making it better for shooters, helping improve that for players, helping include and improve the social aspects of the game," he said.

Osborne continued, "But when we lined our pillars up with what we believed we wanted Destiny to do and put them against their pillars with what they wanted the PS4 to do it was like looking into a mirror."

Cmon dude. Marketing dollars aren't allocated in the way you're describing, and certainly not for titles nearly 6 months out. The way you're telling it, the fact that Sony is spending money on Destiny means they can't do the same when the PR campaign for #Driveclub and The Order come on deck.

That's not how this works.

FmBqA0S.jpg

Fair enough. I just don't like how they've treated the exclusives so far and feel there is already enough promotion for Destiny and not much they say will deliver a change in sales at this point.

Perhaps the PR campaigns for those games will eventually be much better than what they've shown thus far, but I still think it's disappointing that this is the case currently. I don't mean to suggest that Sony won't have money to promote the other titles or it's because #SonyBroke( sarcasm for the more serious posters). I just haven't seen much to think that this will change in a really significant way in the weeks leading up to release.

I'd love to be proven wrong by Sony though if this does happen. I am not alone on this view though and don't want to come across as disingenuous. These are just my personal feelings on how they've handled this so far. Sorry if that offends some.(not directed to you specifically at all or everyone who replied, but to a few individuals)

Fair enough. I just don't like how they've treated the exclusives so far and feel there is already enough promotion for Destiny and not much they say will deliver a change in sales at this point.
I don't think you have a realistic view of marketing. Sony is going to keep advertising and promoting Destiny for weeks and months. It's a huge game and they want people to keep buying their system and that game this entire holiday season.

We all live in a bubble of being hyper aware of what's coming and what's out, and buying games day one, but the wider market isn't necessarily like that. They need to be told and reminded even after the game is out.

Now if the time comes and Sony does nothing to advertise or promote LBP, DC or The Order maybe I'll agree with you but we're just not there yet.

I honestly don't know why you care so much. For what it's worth, I'd say MS pushed Titanfall harder than Sony is pushing Destiny.

Also, we'll see how Destiny sells on Xbox vs. PlayStation, but I'm willing to bet on current-gen consoles it will lean heavily in the PS4's favour. Like, probably in 2.5:1. I wouldn't like to guess about last-gen machines, ie whether the Sony marketing will be enough to eclipse the 360 being the go-to console for shooters.

I honestly don't know why you care so much. For what it's worth, I'd say MS pushed Titanfall harder than Sony is pushing Destiny.

Also, we'll see how Destiny sells on Xbox vs. PlayStation, but I'm willing to bet on current-gen consoles it will lean heavily in the PS4's favour. Like, probably in 2.5:1. I wouldn't like to guess about last-gen machines, ie whether the Sony marketing will be enough to eclipse the 360 being the go-to console for shooters.

And I'd bet that it won't be 2.5:1 for the reasons I've stated before. The numbers will speak for themselves though. None of us can say for certain, until the numbers are released, but from what evidence we do have that does not appear to be the case

As for last gen, I'm certain that the PS3 version will not outsell the 360 version. The Bungie fanbase on 360 is too strong from this to happen regardless of the marketing and both consoles have sold basically the same.

The 360 also was the main console for FPSs as you suggest and many prefer the controller. I have not seen a single retailer site where the PS3 version is ahead of the 360 version in the charts much less anywhere near it. Even on Gamestop the 360 version has been at the top of the charts for quite a while. It will probably get outsold but the PS4 version though, but definitely not the PS3 version.

http://m.gamestop.com

There has yet to be a multiplatform shooter that ever had such a disparity between Xbox and Playstation, in Playstation's favor even on current gen consoles. I highly doubt the things in favor of the PS4 will swing it that largely in terms of sales especially, when there are many Bungie fans on Xbox. Until something like this actually occurs I wouldn't deem it likely.

Finally, Titanfall has nothing to do with this. I'd say they were pushed around the same by both parties, but others may share a different view one way or the other. Also, Titanfall was different because although both are multis atleast Titanfall wasn't on their main competitors console. Regardless what you think of Titanfall or Destiny, it is not the same situation.

Sotha_Sil

I will say this, Sony is reallyyyy happy that Bungie separated from Microsoft and went multiplatform. It takes the pressure off them to try and make their own FPS games (no Resistance follow-up, Guerrilla supposedly moving onto an new RPG IP), and negates what was previously a huge Microsoft advantage.

I don't think you have a realistic view of marketing. Sony is going to keep advertising and promoting Destiny for weeks and months. It's a huge game and they want people to keep buying their system and that game this entire holiday season.

We all live in a bubble of being hyper aware of what's coming and what's out, and buying games day one, but the wider market isn't necessarily like that. They need to be told and reminded even after the game is out.

Now if the time comes and Sony does nothing to advertise or promote LBP, DC or The Order maybe I'll agree with you but we're just not there yet.

I'm not saying they should completely stop promoting it. That would be impossible as they have bundle in place as well as many advertisements and commercials. I AM saying that outside of what they've already done and can continue to do, not much else will do anything to produce sales. Statements like this won't produce any extra results.

In addition, to continuing their previous promotions for Destiny they CAN and SHOULD promote the exclusives in a better fashion. They may do this in the future as you suggest, but they have not done a good job up to this point. Hopefully, the PR will be better in the coming weeks though, but no one can say that they WILL do it definitively as there's no evidence to suggest that as of yet.

Don't make up "trends" that don't exist. You are free to support your claims with evidence.

Oh your moral highness.

Oh.. your moral highness. Please pardon teh lowly Sony for making statements like this.

I'm not saying they should completely stop promoting it. That would be impossible as they have bundle in place as well as many advertisements and commercials. I AM saying that outside of what they've already done and can continue to do, not much else will do anything to produce sales. Statements like this won't produce any extra results.

In addition, to continuing their previous promotions for Destiny they CAN and SHOULD promote the exclusives in a better fashion. They may do this in the future as you suggest, but they have not done a good job up to this point. Hopefully, the PR will be better in the coming weeks though, but no one can say that they WILL do it definitively as there's no evidence to suggest that as of yet.
Except Driveclub and LBP, while likely to be great games, aren't really "system sellers." Destiny is, and it comes out first. So better to use Destiny to sell systems now, and then in a month or two, when those buyers are looking to play something else, you offer them your exclusives. Those people then buy your exclusives too, and advise their friends to join them in PlayStation country this Christmas.

Sounds like a pretty good plan to me. /shrug

This makes no sense. It isn't exclusive. If anything, it speaks to Sony's lack of holiday exclusives. It's sorta like MS saying, "we got CoD this fall".

Destiny is quite good so far though!

Are we doing this again? PS4 has more games and more exclusives.

Don't make up "trends" that don't exist. You are free to support your claims with evidence.

Oh your moral highness.

Oh.. your moral highness. Please pardon teh lowly Sony for making statements like this.

Seriously? How hard is it to look at any retailer sites best selling list. The disparity between the two versions is nowhere near great enough to suggest a 2.5 to 1 disparity.

Looking at the history of Xbox and Playstation there has never been a multiplatform FPS with such a disparity in favor Playstation even on current gen consoles. There is nothing to base this off of from what we see on retailer charts or in the history of the video game market especially not for a Bungie game.

People cannot claim this as likely with nothing at all to base this figure off of.

This is far from the truth because Destiny is not on PC and PC is biggest platform you can get depending on the game and with this being fps it would be right at home.

If Activision believed the PC would provide a huge number of sales you can be certain they'd have this game on PC at launch.

JAYSIMPLE

Banned
Sony can treat it as first party but the reality is.... It isn't.... I think it's because they know their Xmas Is light this year

Wynnebeck

Banned
And I'd bet that it won't be 2.5:1 for the reasons I've stated before. The numbers will speak for themselves though. None of us can say for certain, until the numbers are released, but from what evidence we do have that does not appear to be the case.

Considering how many PS4 copies and PS4s ended up leaving my Gamestop this morning when I worked the midnight release, uh yeah. I can very well believe that ratio. Time will tell though.

As for last gen, I'm certain that the PS3 version will not outsell the 360 version. The Bungie fanbase on 360 is too strong from this to happen regardless of the marketing and both consoles have sold basically the same.

That would have to do more with many PS3 owners migrating to the PS4 than people shunning PS3 since the 360 is a "shooter console". We can see this with the drop-off of PS3 sales for the last almost year since PS4's release.

The 360 also was the main console for FPSs as you suggest and many prefer the controller. I have not seen a single retailer site where the PS3 version is ahead of the 360 version in the charts much less anywhere near it. Even on Gamestop the 360 version has been at the top of the charts for quite a while. It will probably get outsold but the PS4 version though, but definitely not the PS3 version.

Same reason as above.

There has yet to be a multiplatform shooter that ever had such a disparity between Xbox and Playstation, in Playstation's favor even on current gen consoles. I highly doubt the things in favor of the PS4 will swing it that largely in terms of sales especially, when there are many Bungie fans on Xbox. Until something like this actually occurs I wouldn't deem it likely.

Bungie fans being on Xbox doesn't mean squat if Bungie/Activision are partnering up with Sony to promote the PS4 version as the defacto version of the game. That kind of marketing has implanted itself in the minds of the masses who actually believe the game is exclusive to Sony platforms. I had a guy come in he other day to shop and was sad he couldn't get Destiny because it was exclusive to PS4 and PS3, and he had a Xbone. That's the reason why everyone in the thread is scratching their collective heads at your statements. Sony and Activision realize this is the biggest game of the year and will continue to advertise the biggest moneymaker in their stable. That doesn't mean however that Sony has forgotten about their other exclusives. They will market them when the time comes. Right now however, it's Sony's and Destiny's time to shine.

This game is going to get pushed the same way MS is pushing COD. Activision wins end of story. Also, who just said Sony's Xmas is light so that's the reason why they are pushing Destiny? That's almost asinine.

Except Driveclub and LBP, while likely to be great games, aren't really "system sellers." Destiny is, and it comes out first. So better to use Destiny to sell systems now, and then in a month or two, when those buyers are looking to play something else, you offer them your exclusives. Those people then buy your exclusives too, and advise their friends to join them in PlayStation country this Christmas.

Sounds like a pretty good plan to me. /shrug[/QUOTE

Regardless of how many consoles Destiny sells. The exclusives will sell BETTER if they are promoted in a better fashion. This is undisputable. Relying on solely Destiny instead of spreading the marketing around to some of the exclusives will lead to LESS sales for those games.

It doesn't matter whether you personally consider them system sellers, they should be promoted better than they are currently. Not everyone is interested in Destiny and that combo of exclusives could be very appealing to another set of individuals. For those that are interesting in Destiny, better marketing would also lead to better sales.

An even BETTER plan would be spreading some of the a love to a few of those exclusives instead of almost solely Destiny at this point.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Relying on solely Destiny instead of spreading the marketing around to some of the exclusives will lead to LESS sales for those games.
I'm just going to stick this here because it's obvious you're concern trolling at this point:

Sony and Activision realize this is the biggest game of the year and will continue to advertise the biggest moneymaker in their stable. That doesn't mean however that Sony has forgotten about their other exclusives. They will market them when the time comes. Right now however, it's Sony's and Destiny's time to shine.

USC-fan

Banned
People are not buying ps4 for exclusives. They are buying it because it the best next gen system.

Exclusives matter very little to most people when buying their first next gen system. Since most only buy one system every game is an exclusive...lol.

This game is going to get pushed the same way MS is pushing COD. Activision wins end of story. Also, who just said Sony's Xmas is light so that's the reason why they are pushing Destiny? That's almost asinine.

There are 80 million+ PS3 owners, the majority of them have not migrated to PS4. In fact, I'd argue that it's a very minuscule number to what your suggesting because some PS4 owners were 360 owners, Wii owners or NEVER owned a console at all.

It little to do with PS3 owners migrating to PS4, in comparison to my reasons. Last gen there were 160+ million consoles sold, so the PS4 cannot have a very significant effect to the degree you are suggesting.

Sure, not all of them are still there, but the majority of them are and there have only been around 15-16 million total current gen consoles sold.

Your experience at your one Gamestop is anecdotal and can not be used to show some larger trend that is happening.

At my Gamestop that was not the case and the 360 was by far the most popular version. It would be asinine for me or you to compare our personal experiences at a single Gamestop to the entire Destiny market especially when retailer charts are not showing the ratio our experiences suggested.

Yes some may think it's exclusive just as some think CoD is exclusive, but even that sold a very large number on Playstation and was never anywhere near 2.5 to 1. Multiplat shooters on current gen have also been nowhere near this hypothetical figure some are spouting. This is a baseless figure made up by some users.

Call of Duty will also sell a great amount that does not mean that they will give less promotion to other games because of this.

Sounds like a pretty good plan to me. /shrug

I think this is a great point.

Games like Driveclub and LBP3 you can start throwing advertising around close to release. They are exclusives, appeal to their respective genre supporters, and will likely have legs through the holiday season. The truth is, as good as these games could (hopefully) be, they don't have a naturally generated trail of hype behind them and throwing months of marketing/advertising budget at them wouldn't create that, IMO. DC has been visible for over a year and LBP3 was just unveiled during E3.
Driveclub is a delayed launch game in a genre that is fairly specific to those who like those types of games (racing) and LBP3 is an established franchise that isn't straying too far from it's usual formula enough to attract a lot of excitement. If you haven't bought into the LBP series by now, constant bombardments of ads probably aren't going to do it at this point. I'm very excited about DC, but it's not a game that even Sony is probably expecting to set the world on fire. It covers a need for Sony to have an arcade racer in the line-up for holiday 2014 and its amazing visuals will likely do most of the talking come release. Positive reviews will do the rest.

For a game like Destiny, which is in a very popular genre, has amazing pedigree due to the developer, and just looks interesting, you are dealing with possibly a generation defining experience so early in the gen. It's not exclusive, obviously, so you have Sony planting a long-term seed to associate it with the PS brand.
Sony doesn't want you to even consider buying an X1 for this game. Hell, if you only have a PS3 and/or 360 they want you to buy a PS4 for it. That's why it's been so important for Sony to push the advertising of this game so heavily with that big PS4 logo at the end of the commercials.

That's why you've been beaten over the head with marketing and the association with the PS4. The seed was planted last year. Now it's growing. The fruits of that will be so much more beneficial to Sony and the PS4 brand than Driveclub and LBP3 could ever be.

On a side note- I'm confident Sony will treat The Order like a big deal. It's a 3rd person shooter with fascinating art direction and could possibly be seen as Sony's way of scratching a 'Gears of War' itch.

I'm just going to stick this here because it's obvious you're concern trolling at this point:

That particular statement may be slightly hyperbolic for effect, but let's not pretend as if others do not share the same views I've stated. I'll stop posting in this thread though as my points have already been made. At this point everyone is just running in circles. I'm not sure why some are so defensive because of a viewpoint some share though. However, there's no need to derail this thread any further really.

Top Bottom