• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: For Sony, Destiny treated as if it's a first-party release this xmas

Man

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-09-09-sony-destiny-playstation-4

Sony is treating Bungie's first-person shooter as a first-party PlayStation game, despite it also being available on Xbox.

Sony has partnered with Destiny publisher Activision to co-market the game, and has forked out for a raft of exclusive content.

"We're treating it, for all intents and purposes internally, as if it's a first-party release," he said. "We're wrapping our arms around it on all levels of the organisation. It's a special project and an important project and it has the power to launch Christmas. It's hugely important."

Destiny launches at an important time for both the PS4 and Xbox One. In January 2014 Gara revealed that the sales ratio of PS4 to Xbox One in the UK was 1.5:1, and eight months later this remains the case. That means that if the PS4 has sold 1m units, then the Xbox One has shifted 666,666.

The ratio marks a significant shift compared to the last generation of consoles. In the UK, the Xbox 360 outsold the PlayStation 3 by a ratio of around 1.5:1. Clearly, Sony has won market share from its competitor - and then some.

The early months of this generation's console war are well documented, and Gara's assessment of the current landscape tallies with much of the established analysis. In the months before launch, the PS4 was positioned as a "gamer first" console, and Sony did well to continue with policies it had in place for PS3 at a time when Microsoft drew criticism for doing the opposite.

"The whole way we positioned the console from the start was strong and appropriate," Gara said.

"We said, this is the ultimate machine we can create for gamers, and the ultimate machine we can create for game creators. Then we did not pursue controversial policies. The ethos we described, as 'for the players,' does mean something in the decision making. We didn't change one decision. We just kept going with the decisions we already had. But the fact we were able to cleanly execute there and not raise doubt or lose trust with the gaming community was very strong."

But there's more to the shift than that, Gara said. He pointed to a "latent love" for the PlayStation brand that PS4 sparked into life.

"What we found brewing was this latent love for PlayStation that had got, not lost, but went semi-dormant for some people at least through the PlayStation 3 era. We saw an outpouring of emotion around the announce event itself, with #playstationmemories trending, and then we created a celebratory video. The tens of millions of views that footage had is an illustration for the latent love for the brand that was there.

white_PS4_destiny_bundle_open1.jpg

The co-marketing and exclusive content is part of a concerted effort to create the perception that Destiny is a PlayStation exclusive in the minds of gamers - or, at the very least, that Destiny is best on PlayStation. And in an interview with Eurogamer, Sony UK boss Fergal Gara said the company had backed Destiny to such a degree that it considers it a first-party title.

"We're treating it, for all intents and purposes internally, as if it's a first-party release," he said. "We're wrapping our arms around it on all levels of the organisation. It's a special project and an important project and it has the power to launch Christmas. It's hugely important."

So I can only assume they weren't able to afford actual exclusivity? Timed or otherwise. Sounds like they really wanted it too...

Riky

$MSFT
I'm sure all the advertising helps all versions though, it's obviously not an exclusive when you walk into any store.

I would assume most people would know that it isn't a PS4 exclusive when they walk into a store and see advertising for both versions, but I guess the extra content will sway people too.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Weird wording. It's the huge title for ps4 xmas, but "first-party" makes zero sense

Raide

I'm sure all the advertising helps all versions though, it's obviously not an exclusive when you walk into any store.

Pretty much. Sony obviously wanted a big new shooter to hang their banner around. Any advertising they do works to MS's benefit too. Plus the cosmetic DLC will come later anyway.

I wonder how much money MS will throw around for Destiny 2 or the DLC Expansions? They like to wrap CoD stuff up.

Some Nobody

lol, they're treating it that way because they don't have any other choice. Destiny's the biggest game to release this year like it or not.

So I can only assume they weren't able to afford actual exclusivity? Timed or otherwise. Sounds like they really wanted it too...

Given the plans that Activision have for this IP I don't think anyone could have afforded exclusivity on the title.

I'm sure they would have loved to have seen something like this tied up but it seems they have almost a year head start on some of the DLC.

Almighty

Seems that way. If I didn't know better and was just going off the TV ads I would of thought that Destiny was a PS4 exclusive.

Riky

$MSFT
Call of Duty is still gonna be bigger they probably should have went with that.

Although Destiny seems a huge deal to the gaming community at the moment it doesn't have the hype in the mainstream that Call Of Duty does, maybe that will come with time but I can't see it outselling Call Of Duty.

Just look back at the the CoD franchise and marketing deal MS had. Considering how much it helped propel the 360 as THE go-to console in NA, it might as well have been exclusive.

This. Activision treats Destiny to PS4 the same way Call of Duty was treated to xbox 360.

bebop242

One of my son's friends at school (age 10) who has an Xbox One at home, was telling my son how much it sucks that destiny is exclusive to Playstation. lol.

Rurunaki

Not surprising seeing as Microsoft is trying to get the word out that this game is also available for the Xbox platform. The marketing for this game has already done its job of making Destiny look to be a Playstation exclusive for the general consumers.

terrier

sony doing what MS did last gen, partnering with the right games so people associate with their console.
They really learnt a lesson or two from previous gen. And MS allowing it is kinda surprising.

REV 09

This makes no sense. It isn't exclusive. If anything, it speaks to Sony's lack of holiday exclusives. It's sorta like MS saying, "we got CoD this fall".

Destiny is quite good so far though!

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
While it technically isn't an exclusive, to be honest, it might as well be.

I'm fairly confident sales will reflect that. You might even possibly see the PS3 version outsell the 360 version WW.

adin75

You would think it was an exclusive. When I picked up my copy this morning PS4's and and Destiny where flying out the door. I didn't see that much activity on launch day.

Toki767

And yet, it's currently console exclusive.
Do I think it will remain so? No.
But that doesn't change the fact that it currently is.

So what, are you saying Sony and Microsoft got together to pay off Activision to only release Destiny on their systems and not on PC?

Trey

It might as well be a Playstation exclusive. Sony wasn't playing around with that marketing deal.

smurfx

get some go again
sony doing what MS did last gen, partnering with the right games so people associate with their console.
They really learnt a lesson or two from previous gen. And MS allowing it is kinda surprising.
so did microsoft not go after destiny because of titanfall?

Top Bottom