• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: For Sony, Destiny treated as if it's a first-party release this xmas

Guymelef

Destiny is a PlayStation exclusive in Japan, isn't it?

Did Somy pay for that, or did Bungie / Activision figure it's just not worth releasing over there?

Activision doesn't distribute games in Japan.
Usually Square-Enix does.
Activision's games like Transformers, Spider-Man 2 or Diablo III are "PS exclusive" there, this time is the same with Sony instead of Square-Enix.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Well, they have to treat it that way, don't they? With just Driveclub and LBP3, it's not like they have many big first party releases this holiday.

They don't 'have' to do anything, really. The big releases this fall/winter are mostly multiplatform titles, played best on a PS4.
COD:AW, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Far Cry 4, NBA 2K15, GTAV, Battlefield Hardline, AC: Unity, etcetera.

And it's not like Sony's first-parties are asleep. February drops both The Order 1886 and Bloodborne. God, I'm already feeling tingly just thinking about that last one.

nubbe

Sony's own internal development has been really weak
Besides TLOU, everything has been mediocre or poor

mocoworm

Makes no sense. It's multi-platform. What a weird thing to say. If they want to kickstart Christmas like he says, they should release some actual first party games. The console is almost 12 months old and been in r&d for 2 years before. You would think that they would have a games schedule that had started dropping some heavy hitters by now.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Makes no sense. It's multi-platform. What a weird thing to say. If they want to kickstart Christmas like he says, they should release some actual first party games.

It's like MS has been doing for years with CoD, brand association. Lots of casuals might think Destiny is a PS exclusive because of the marketing. Im sure MS is doing the best it can to inform the masses, but they can only do so much around the contracts, like Sony can do with CoD.

MaulerX

They don't 'have' to do anything, really. The big releases this fall/winter are mostly multiplatform titles, played best on a PS4.
COD:AW, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Far Cry 4, NBA 2K15, GTAV, Battlefield Hardline, AC: Unity, etcetera.

And it's not like Sony's first-parties are asleep. February drops both The Order 1886 and Bloodborne. God, I'm already feeling tingly just thinking about that last one.

Really? And how do you know that?

so did microsoft not go after destiny because of titanfall?

When those court documents leaked in 2012 it listed the game as an Xbox exclusive for one year; not as a promotion deal or anything, but because that was the only system Bungie had worked on. Fast forward to 2013 and they have shifted form just 360 to all four major systems and a marking deal with Sony! My educated guess? Microsoft saw the leak and thought "we already got this" while Sony saw it and said "Awwwww hell no!" One said was active and the other a little complacent. That sentence could accurately describe this entire gen up to this E3...

kyser73

Sony is hitching itself to the coat-tails of a potential 10-year franchise in a way so intimate it could be a Japanese Vita game.

The value inherent in that for the Playstation brand is huge - Sony gets its own gargantuan 3rd party FPS that it can market like a 1st party product, and could potentially be selling units on the back of that into the next-gen.

What a ridiculous statement. What makes it a first party title? it's a multiplatform game on two other consoles outside of your brand and it may also come to PC. Is it the marketing deal? If that's the case there's not that many "AAA" games that aren't first party titles. Is it a combination of that and the bundle? Titles like CoD and most likely Rise of the Tomb Raider will also have the exact same thing. Does this make them first party titles as well? At the end of the day they are multiplatform titles that can be played on many other platforms. Pump an actual exclusive instead of stating such nonsense.

What a ridiculous statement. What makes it a first party title? it's a multiplatform game on two other consoles outside of your brand and it may also come to PC. Is it the marketing deal? If that's the case there's not that many "AAA" games that aren't first party titles. Is it a combination of that and the bundle? Titles like CoD and most likely Rise of the Tomb Raider will also have the exact same thing. Does this make them first party titles as well? At the end of the day they are multiplatform titles that can be played on many other platforms. Pump an actual exclusive instead of stating such nonsense.

Cannot the same thing be levied at Microsoft? ^^

iceatcs

Sony's own internal development has been really weak
Besides TLOU, everything has been mediocre or poor
That's understanding because transform to new kind system with same small team - x86 which total new and too cheap for PS3 coders therefore they need spent more time on it, and expensive PS3 coders are no need. ND hired Yu for new kind programming.

That's why some are still look like cross-title or rush game that gameplay could done more.

Loudninja

Again they are treating as if its a first party title not that it is one.
"We're treating it, for all intents and purposes internally, as if it's a first-party release," he said. "We're wrapping our arms around it on all levels of the organisation. It's a special project and an important project and it has the power to launch Christmas. It's hugely important."

I'm not sure if English is your first language, or if you read OP.

"We're treating it, for all intents and purposes internally, as if it's a first-party release," he said.

The words "as if" mean that it's really not first party but they are treating it like one. But they know it's not. Hence "as if".

The weird thing is, I thought it was leaked back in some lawsuit documents that Microsoft actually did have a deal with Activision around Destiny. Indeed, that the first Destiny would come initially only to Xbox (360 & next-gen), then later to PS3 the following year (depending on technical analysis). Then the sequels would be day one on all the next gen systems.

I think it's interesting to ask whatever happened to that... it made the Sony announcement at the PS4 reveal all the more surprising.

Fake edit: see here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=474970

wROK6Kl.png

Maybe because the timetable slipped the agreement was void and Sony swooped in?

Or perhaps this was not any formal agreement but just a 'default' fallout of Bungie's affinity/history with MS hardware, and the slipped schedule just made them more open to Sony SKUs and then ultimately a Sony marketing deal?

You, like a lot of people, have completely misread that document. It doesn't imply any contractual exclusivity at all. It only outlines how Bungie is to deliver certain version at certain points in time. There was never anything to prevent them from delivering the PlayStation versions sooner, and it's likely that was always the preferred scenario for both parties. But the fact is Bungie had been Xbox exclusive for a decade and they had the contract constructed to protect them should PS3 development lag behind the Xbox versions. That's all there is to it.

Furthermore, even if MS had wanted to outbid Sony for the exclusive co-marketing of Destiny, it's not necessarily the case that Activision would have accepted. They have very cannily hedged their bets by not putting all their eggs in the Xbox One basket like EA did. This is paying them pretty big dividends right now to Microsoft's obvious chagrin.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
is the 30 day PS+ stackable or for new users only?

People seem to forget about this. Sony spreads their releases throughout the year, whereas MS seem to focus more heavily on Q4.

p3tran

Banned
Eurogamer: For Sony, Destiny is the first-party PS4 game this xmas

well, if they tried to push the "playstation exclusive games" thingy, I think driveclub and lbp would not be effective enough this xmas.
this way, they have a better chance on the uninformed public (the majority).

It's like MS has been doing for years with CoD, brand association. Lots of casuals might think Destiny is a PS exclusive because of the marketing. Im sure MS is doing the best it can to inform the masses, but they can only do so much around the contracts, like Sony can do with CoD.

I agree with this, but it's foolish to call a multiplatform game on many platforms "first party" regardless of timed exclusive content, marketing and the bundle. If this was criteria for being first party, then not many "AAA" games wouldn't be under this umbrella. Brand recognition and the above things obviously work as Microsoft and Sony wouldn't engage in such tactics if they didn't. CoD and many other titles have proven that to be the case. However, that still does not make it a first party game.

Loudninja

I agree with this, but it's foolish to call a multiplatform game on many platforms "first party" regardless of timed exclusive content, marketing and the bundle. If this was criteria for being first party, then not many "AAA" games wouldn't be under this umbrella. Brand recognition and the above things obviously work as Microsoft and Sony wouldn't engage in such tactics if they didn't. CoD and many other titles have proven that to be the case. However, that still does not make it a first party game.
They are not calling it first party.

MaulerX

Where the hell have you been this gen? What would make you think Microsoft closed a 30%+ hardware gap? PS4 multiplats look or play better. This is just kind of how the hardware works...

Where did I say anything about closing hardware gaps etc...? Those are unreleased games and to prematurely say they'll "play better" is absurd imo.

TheOddOne

In recent weeks, sales of Xbox One in the UK have almost matched sales of the PS4, Eurogamer has been told. And as we head into the crucial Christmas sales period, Microsoft will be looking to close the gap even further with a raft of eye-catching bundles and exclusive Xbox One games. Launching exclusively on Xbox One in time for Christmas are racing game Forza Horizon 2, first-person shooter Halo: The Master Chief Collection and action adventure game Sunset Overdrive. It also has exclusive content for Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare and Assassin's Creed: Unity.
Wat.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Maybe it just means they're handling it internally like a first party title - eg their go to market plans are being executed as though it is first party, they might get access to above the line marketing that normal 3rd party co-marketing wouldn't etc.

Obviously it isn't literally 1st party, and the guy from Sony explains that pretty clearly I think.

Hello there, how are you?

"We're treating it, for all intents and purposes internally, as if it's a first-party release," he said.

The words "as if" mean that it's really not first party but they are treating it like one. But they know it's not. Hence "as if".

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Slow your roll. They're treating it as if it's a 1st party title, in terms of marketing support and buy-in at every level. Nobody's taking Destiny away from your other platform - and Sony certainly didn't pay for X months full exclusivity, unlike some other titles I could mention.

Man. You're really upset!

Treated as if a first party = first party?

Treated as if a first party = first party?

Slow your roll. They're treating it as if it's a 1st party title, in terms of marketing support and buy-in at every level. Nobody's taking Destiny away from your other platform - and Sony certainly didn't pay for X months full exclusivity, unlike some other titles I could mention.

Man. You're really upset!

Ah to be honest, while reading through some posts in the thread I forgot that qualifier, but I still don't think it's a statement that makes much sense. It would be ridiculous for Microsoft to say such a statement for CoD, when it will sell many millions on other platforms, just like it is for Sony to say that with Destiny.

I'm not really mad actually I'm currently enjoying destiny :) as we speak, I just thought it was a weird thing to say although I do see what they were going for.

Edit: Also, Bish Tomb Raider has nothing to do with this and I have never said it was a good thing or anything of the like so that's really irrelevant to the conversation. No one claimed anyone is taking anything away with Destiny and I've never even come close to suggesting this. I just thought it was a weird statement.

BokehKing

Banned
I'm sure all the advertising helps all versions though, it's obviously not an exclusive when you walk into any store.
It's no different than COD, advertised as an Xbox game, walk into any store and it's also for Playstation

Unlike COD though, the dark below releases the same day on Sony as it does on Xbox

Ah to be honest, while reading through some posts in the thread I forgot that qualifier, but I still don't think it's a statement that makes much sense. It would be ridiculous for Microsoft to say such a statement for CoD, when it will sell many millions on other platforms, just like it is for Sony to say that with Destiny.

To be honest? Wait you were not being honest all this while???

Oh sorry English is my first language I can't talk like that

ilib0y

Neo Member
Why is everyone assuming MS could just outbid Sony for the exclusivity/marketing? This is Activision controlling the market. They gave COD to MS and Destiny to Sony. They're propping up both consoles because it means more money for them.

is the 30 day PS+ stackable or for new users only?

People seem to forget about this. Sony spreads their releases throughout the year, whereas MS seem to focus more heavily on Q4.

Never been stackable before here in the UK, had codes from GoW:A and Soul Sacrifice that I ended up giving away. Same as the 14 day trial that you could redeem with the PS4 wasn't available for those already with +

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
When those court documents leaked in 2012 it listed the game as an Xbox exclusive for one year; not as a promotion deal or anything, but because that was the only system Bungie had worked on. Fast forward to 2013 and they have shifted form just 360 to all four major systems and a marking deal with Sony! My educated guess? Microsoft saw the leak and thought "we already got this" while Sony saw it and said "Awwwww hell no!" One said was active and the other a little complacent. That sentence could accurately describe this entire gen up to this E3...

Yeah, I'm guessing Sony swooped it up. It makes so much sense for Sony to get a deal with a game from the makers of Halo, your main competitor's biggest franchise. I wouldnt be surprised if Sony spent more on this deal than any other deal that wasnt full exclusivity.

Where did I say anything about closing hardware gaps etc...? Those are unreleased games and to prematurely say they'll "play better" is absurd imo.

You are setting yourself up for a lot of heartache if you are waiting for Digital Foundry to tell you what we all ready know, but do as you please^^

Why is everyone assuming MS could just outbid Sony for the exclusivity/marketing? This is Activision controlling the market. They gave COD to MS and Destiny to Sony. They're propping up both consoles because it means more money for them.

Exactly Activision gets both slices of the pie with this deal, which is great for them unlike what EA is doing.

Woo-Fu

Banned
I'm pretty sure the average consumer won't be reading DF analysis of the game. All they will see is both being 1080p/30fps

The average consumer won't even be seeing that. They'll be buying the game on the platform that most of their friends are on so they can play the game with them.

USC-fan

Banned
Why not? People already misuse the term. 2nd party develop game are now already first party. Now 3nd party games with marketing deals are first party.

Slippery slope.....

stryke

Does it really matter what they say? From their actions alone, its very easy to see the manner in which they treat titles like Destiny or COD or any other marketing partnership.

smurfx

get some go again
The average consumer won't even be seeing that. They'll be buying the game on the platform that most of their friends are on so they can play the game with them.
alright and what if the friends haven't bought a system yet? better graphics is something the average consumer knows and wants even if most of them couldn't really tell the difference. those kind of things end up being important when choosing what system to buy.

Loudninja

"We're cautious about assuming anything looking forward. We're here to compete. There's a long way to go. One million is very important, but there are many more millions to come, clearly.

"I think it'll be competitive. I have every respect for the team at Xbox, and we know they're going to give us a strong run for our money. But we're delighted to be in a strong position and have every determination to do the very best by PlayStation gamers and bring loads more of them on board."
Good to hear this.

Lucreto

I can see why Sony embraced Destiny to such an extent.

After cancelling the Sci fi from Santa Moncia they needed something to plug the exclusive gap. Destiny is where they are putting their money.

le.phat

Nothing 'makes' it a 1st party title. They TREAT it like a 1st party title, meanin things like marketing, sony produced featurettes in the blog, official support of the gold headset, stuff like that. They're not saying we should treat it like its their 1st party title. The amount of bucking in this thread is hilarious. Go grab a cup of tea or something.

Top Bottom