• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: For Sony, Destiny treated as if it's a first-party release this xmas

Asd202

I don't understand...why didn't MS outbid for the exclusive marketing?
They have a working partnership for COD...This should be even easier with the rapport between the two companies.
Did Bungie step in and say no? Because there couldn't be a way that Sony outbid MS in these type of deals.

IMO it was because of Titanfall.

stevil

Ah to be honest, while reading through some posts in the thread I forgot that qualifier, but I still don't think it's a statement that makes much sense. It would be ridiculous for Microsoft to say such a statement for CoD, when it will sell many millions on other platforms, just like it is for Sony to say that with Destiny.

I'm not really mad actually I'm currently enjoying destiny :) as we speak, I just thought it was a weird thing to say although I do see what they were going for.

With that statement Sony is not saying they are pretending (as in fingers in ears lalalala it is a first party title lalala) that it is a first party title but that for all intent en purpose will treat it internally (and to an extend externally ) as such. Meaning that they are doing all thing they normally only do for a first party title.

Does it really matter what they say? From their actions alone, its very easy to see the manner in which they treat titles like Destiny or COD or any other marketing partnership.

Listen I get the logic, but it is an odd thing to say. The point is there are so many titles with marketing deals on current gen consoles. It is not even close to being limited to just CoD/Destiny. I get that Destiny is a little bigger than most titles and many will buy a White PS4 bundle.

However, to me it would make more sense to pump up the TLOU R, DRIVECLUB, LBP3 or another actual exclusive. I could already see the backlash if Microsoft made such a statement about CoD. Actually, we've seen that this is the case from the negative reaction that the Xbox twitter post had with CoD and Evolve in it. Yes, the games have exclusive content and a marketing deal, but no one cared because at the end of the day they are multiplatform games.

The situation may not be exactly 1:1, but it is similar in what both groups were trying to accomplish. The time spent doing this for a title that doesn't even need it as it's from "The makers of Halo and publisher of Call of Duty" could be spent better promoting a true exclusive game.

Busty

Banned
Anecdotally speaking I know several casual gaming fans (who own PS3/4) who believe that Destiny is a Playstation exclusive (timed or otherwise) to some degree or another.

It seems the PS4 branded Destiny adverts on TV and all the talk of exclusive content 'suggests' that the PS4 is the only place to truly experience the game and clearly people are responding to that.

New IP from Bungie on the PS4 is a really big deal.

This. Always this.

BokehKing

Banned
It's working for them, doesn't matter if people think it's stupid to treat it as if it is an exclusive.

If it wasn't working, why would Microsoft put out that Cologne ad?

openrob

They do this with most big third party titles.
CoD, Assassins Creed ect. These AAA popular titles always have bundles etc.

Look here: Both MS and Sony know that third party titles can move hardware.

Nintendo doesn't realise this and only thinks that exclusive content moves hardware ( which then becomes a self fulfilling prophecy).

carlsojo

Anecdotal evidence from me: when my dad came to visit today he asked me if I was getting that "new PS4 game"... He couldn't tell me what it was called, the only thing he knew was that it's coming out on the PS4. This is going to be pretty huge come the holidays and the public thinks it's only on PS4.

Smurf

Banned
Even if I do enjoy Microsoft's corporate tricks being used against them, the illusion of exclusivity is a very anti-consumer practice.

IvorB

This attempting to colonise multi-platform games is something that MS used to do often with Call of Duty. I thought Sony was above this.

With that statement Sony is not saying they are pretending (as in fingers in ears lalalala it is a first party title lalala) that it is a first party title but that for all intent en purpose will treat it internally (and to an extend externally ) as such. Meaning that they are doing all thing they normally only do for a first party title.

Bravo, sir. This is the best response I've seen so far. I see what Sony is trying to say, but it's not really needed at this point. We already know it's a title where the "Ultimate Experience is only on Playstation." We also know that it's from the "creators of Halo and publisher of CoD." Perhaps you disagree, but at this point there is no reason to continue with a statement like that it's not necessary and it's misleading to say a title that will sell millions on other platforms is being treated the same as a new Uncharted.

There may be a few similarities, but that's not the case and even if it was, they could of used that time to better promote actual exclusive titles that would be better served by it like DRIVECLUB, LBP 3 or The Order. Finally, to me it's a bit hypocritical for some to say go make some actual exclusives to Microsoft when that dumb Xbox twitter post was made with CoD and Evolve and then be fine with this, when both parties were trying to accomplish the exact same thing.

Yes, we understand it works, but it would be better for the consumer if Sony championed the actual exclusives that need it rather than a multiplatform game(such as the Order which has recieved perhaps misplaced backlash lately due to poor marketing).

LBP3 and DRIVECLUB may also experience subpar sales due to them essentially making a multiplatform game, their main draw of the system until Bloodborne. Everyone was already going to buy Destiny anyway because of the pedigree and marketing up to this point.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
This attempting to colonise multi-platform games is something that MS used to do often with Call of Duty. I thought Sony was above this.

No publicly shared company is above any other publicly shared company. All of them care about the shareholders above the customers. This is why Valve is so awesome.

Amir0x

Banned
I hope they don't interpret that "latent love for the brand" as yet another excuse to think gamers will be so loyal that they can do whatever and price the next system at whatever :p

This. I will not accept a double standard for these types of practices. Especially when there are actual exclusives to market.

terrier

I hope they don't interpret that "latent love for the brand" as yet another excuse to think gamers will be so loyal that they can do whatever and price the next system at whatever :p

this seems to be a curse in gaming though, how MS screwed themselves this gen, even if they did not 'win' previous generation is almost Kutaragi-ps3 seppuku level

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
It's crazy how much Sony have managed to dupe people into thinking it's exclusive. Has that really ever happened before with these marketing deals? I wonder what it is this time, is there a change of wording, or is the Xbox logo not on adverts for Destiny, or what?

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
the thing is ,since TItantfall didn't help that much moving XBO hardware, which is the point of exclusivity, at least one of them imo, and Destiny may move some PS4 hw , this time sony did the right choice.

MS should've released those LE Titanfall consoles instead of giving them to staff. :v

King_Moc

Banned

Hopefully they've realised that gamers are a fickle bunch and will happily jump ship before you can even half heartedly shout "Ridgggggeeeee Raceeeerrrr!".

It's crazy how much Sony have managed to dupe people into thinking it's exclusive. Has that really ever happened before with these marketing deals? I wonder what it is this time, is there a change of wording, or is the Xbox logo not on adverts for Destiny, or what?
Wasn't that the same with cod in the US for the Xbox?

Besides, fifa ist pretty much a Playstation exclusive for most of Europe.

Massa

Treated as a first party release? No way. Sony never promotes first party releases like they did this game.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Wasn't that the same with cod in the US for the Xbox?

Besides, fifa ist pretty much a Playstation exclusive for most of Europe.

I don't think anybody ever though that CoD was an Xbox exclusive, no? Just that all else equal, XBL and earlier map packs made Xbox the better place to play it.

Interestingly, when seen in this light the midnight openings at MS stores might be less about desperately trying to seem like they're associated with the game and more trying to get the word out that they're getting the game at all.

Even if I do enjoy Microsoft's corporate tricks being used against them, the illusion of exclusivity is a very anti-consumer practice.

I don't think MS is the inventor of using money to get exclusives. You are correct though to a degree but, people buy consoles for exclusives. Just no way around that.

Joeki11a

Banned

Why?, plenty of consumers are getting pleased.

This game is better on content & performance
not to mention the whole Free upgrade thing,
many gamers will have a PS3 Destiny version
just like that free, unless thats for both?

that is very pro consumer.

I-hate-u

Yep. I hope the capitalize on the "latent love for the brand" by reviving dead IPs from the PS1 and PS2 era.

glaurung

I don't think anybody ever though that CoD was an Xbox exclusive, no? Just that all else equal, XBL and earlier map packs made Xbox the better place to play it.
As far as the mass media was concerned, CoD was synonymous with Xbox.

Whenever you saw some brainless actor playing CoD in a TV series, it'd be on Xbox. The gaming community knew better, but Joe Regular didn't.

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
Did people really expect Sony to be the bigger man and do what's right for this industry? If Sony wanted to win this generation they have to beat Xbox at their own game. And that is exactly what they're doing and it's a goddamn same.

So I can only assume they weren't able to afford actual exclusivity? Timed or otherwise. Sounds like they really wanted it too...

Neither Sony nor MS would have been able to afford full exclusivity on for the prices Activision would be looking for.

Call of Duty is still gonna be bigger they probably should have went with that.

I think MS have a long-term advertising deal on COD marketing?

New IP from Bungie on the PS4 is a really big deal.

Yeah; this is kind of like Naughty Dog jumping ship and cosying up with MS for their next game. It's a pretty big deal and Bungie are one of the most important developers in the world.

Joeki11a

Banned
Do many forget the story about Bungie being very close to the PS4 design phase?, like sony has been talking to them and getting input from them way before ps4 came out.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Just look back at the the CoD franchise and marketing deal MS had. Considering how much it helped propel the 360 as THE go-to console in NA, it might as well have been exclusive.

This is just wrong, only COD didnt make that happen. Xbox Live was leaps and bounds superior to PSN. Multiplayer games like COD is kinda no fun without friends and all the features XBL had. Party chat was one of the big.

Sure the exclusive timed content helped a little but it wasn't the only thing driving the sales. I dont know if Destiny has any advantage over Xbox version beside timed exclusive stuff.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

Whenever you saw some brainless actor playing CoD in a TV series, it'd be on Xbox. The gaming community knew better, but Joe Regular didn't.

OK, but there are (several) posters in this thread saying that their friends were unaware that there even is an Xbox version of Destiny. Are you saying that the same thing was true of CoD? Or just that there was a strong relationship between Xbox and CoD?

I'm not talking about the phenomena where third-party games get associated with certain platforms even when they're multiplatform, I'm talking about the perception that the game is genuinely exclusive.

This is definitely a worry, also.

JP

Makes sense to me, although it's not exclusive everything about it so far makes it feel very much like the the PlayStation 4 version are the only real option for people that have access to both consoles.

I don't know anybody in real life who has picked the XB1 version over the PS4 version when they own both consoles. Got a few XB1 friends who actually bought the white PS4 bundle specifically to play this game rather than buy the XB1 version which says a lot.

I'm guessing that people in Micrsoft is aware of what they've lost out on here hence that ladies perfume thing which got a smile from me but is worthless when it comes to people buying the game.

Did people really expect Sony to be the bigger man and do what's right for this industry? If Sony wanted to win this generation they have to beat Xbox at their own game. And that is exactly what they're doing and it's a goddamn same.

Hahaha haha haha^^ Oh... that wasn't a joke post? Marketing a third party game is now not the right thing for the industry? And the right thing would be... no marketing?

Oh, and Sony was winning this gen loooooong before Destiny^^

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
Hahaha haha haha^^ Oh... that wasn't a joke post? Marketing a third party game is now not the right thing for the industry? And the right thing would be... no marketing?

I think you need to read my post again.

And then we have this.

IMO it was because of Titanfall.

Yeah; you're probably right. I suspect Pachter's estimation that MS paid around $100 million for Titanfall console exclusivity was probably fairly accurate (no way of knowing, of course), but after that they probably didn't see the value in bidding for Destiny as well.

After the PS3 debacle, the PS4 success and the Xbone debacle, I don't think anyone is going to be that foolish next generation. Lots of lessons will be learned.

Oersted

They do this with most big third party titles.
CoD, Assassins Creed ect. These AAA popular titles always have bundles etc.

Look here: Both MS and Sony know that third party titles can move hardware.

Nintendo doesn't realise this and only thinks that exclusive content moves hardware ( which then becomes a self fulfilling prophecy).

Less about thinking and more about not being able to outbid Sony and Microsoft.

Brainless actor? Seriously? Are you upset or something?

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
After the PS3 debacle, the PS4 success and the Xbone debacle, I don't think anyone is going to be that foolish next generation. Lots of lessons will be learned.

I think it's significantly underestimating the hubris of these massive companies if you don't think any of them wouldn't gouge us if they could.

ukpanik

Banned
This makes no sense. It isn't exclusive. If anything, it speaks to Sony's lack of holiday exclusives. It's sorta like MS saying, "we got CoD this fall".

Or something like this:

xbox-twitter-deleted-tweet.jpg

Grief.exe

Destiny launches at an important time for both the PS4 and Xbox One. In January 2014 Gara revealed that the sales ratio of PS4 to Xbox One in the UK was 1.5:1, and eight months later this remains the case. That means that if the PS4 has sold 1m units, then the Xbox One has shifted 666,666.

I would have been completely lost without that little tidbit! Thanks Eurogamer!

terrier

Treated as a first party release? No way. Sony never promotes first party releases like they did this game.

kinda true. I guess multiplatform games is where the meat is and help move hardware as much as a succesful first party IP, which is becoming a rare thing these days. ANd associate a multiplatform Ip to a system may be cheaper than other options

Top Bottom