• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: For Sony, Destiny treated as if it's a first-party release this xmas

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I don't understand...why didn't MS outbid for the exclusive marketing?
They have a working partnership for COD...This should be even easier with the rapport between the two companies.
Did Bungie step in and say no? Because there couldn't be a way that Sony outbid MS in these type of deals.

I'm sure the Xbox division doesn't have an unlimited budget(as people incorrectly believe). The investor vultures are already circling the division, the last thing they're going to get is an unlimited budget.

Or something like this:

xbox-twitter-deleted-tweet.jpg

Ha ha; what the fuck?!

Kill3r7

In order for Destiny to reach COD like sales it had to be marketed as a Sony product. It made little sense to go with MS as Bungie is already beloved by Halo/X1 fans. The name alone will carry the X1 crowd (besides the people who feel spurned) and I think sales figures will back this up. IMO, Activision made the right decision and quite frankly so did MS.

Shabad

The huge difference between Sony marketing Destiny and Microsoft marketing Call Of Duty, is that it actually work, and many people actually believe this is a PS exclusive title.

I think the reason for that is really simple. Destiny is a new licence, the regular never heard of that game before he watched that commercial that of course only mention Playstation. When someone watch a Call Of Duty: Xbox One Edition, he knows that it will be on Playstation as well, because all of his other Call of Duty games were. This is a huge difference...

Of course, there are those that are more interested in Video Games, and will know it's coming out on both platforms... but that guy will also know that the Playstation version will have more content, and will probably perform better, ...

I truly expect the sales difference between Xbox and Playstation will be huge for this game... And I do expect it to sell a shit load of Playstation 4. Even though I am not a fan of these kind of deals, we have to admit that a/ it doesn't take much away from Xbox fans (I even believe DLCs are timed exclusive), b/ it makes a lot of business sense for Sony.

The huge difference between Sony marketing Destiny and Microsoft marketing Call Of Duty, is that it actually work, and many people actually believe this is a PS exclusive title.

I think the reason for that is really simple. Destiny is a new licence, the regular never heard of that game before he watched that commercial that of course only mention Playstation. When someone watch a Call Of Duty: Xbox One Edition, he knows that it will be on Playstation as well, because all of his other Call of Duty games were. This is a huge difference...

Of course, there are those that are more interested in Video Games, and will know it's coming out on both platforms... but that guy will also know that the Playstation version will have more content, and will probably perform better, ...

I truly expect the sales difference between Xbox and Playstation will be huge for this game... And I do expect it to sell a shit load of Playstation 4. Even though I am not a fan of these kind of deals, we have to admit that a/ it doesn't take much away from Xbox fans (I even believe DLCs are timed exclusive), b/ it makes a lot of business sense for Sony.

The sales difference will be quite significant in the end but don't forget that on release this was the first big Xbone title for months, so likely we'll see a spike in sales at launch window before Xbone sales die down owing to the smaller userbase and the Sony marketing kicks in.

Jimez

Banned
At least it's not a timed exclusive like Tomb Raider, at least Destiny is out on Microsoft consoles as well. Microsoft do this all the time with Call of Duty with promoting it only for Xbox and has exclusive maps/content for it., so this doesn't fase me at all.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Call of Duty is still gonna be bigger they probably should have went with that.
The last thing I read about COD was from Wario64 saying on Twitter that preorders were at record lows for the game a month or two back.

I have a feeling it's going to be a bad year for COD. Will still sell tons, but still trending downwards.

EGM1966

What I find interesting is that this gen the appearance of exclusivity seems more powerful than timed DLC or timed exclusives, particularly if linked to new IP.

Not sure why this should be but it seems to work and Sony seems to be leading with this strategy vs MS focusing on trying to secure timed exclusives on known IP

Slayven

Destiny ads were hammering TV and they all end with that big Playstation box. Every commercial break during the Simpsons marathon had a Destiny ad, a marathon that did huge numbers. Sony played it like a G and they going to get huge numbers for it.

]What I find interesting is that this gen the appearance of exclusivity [/B]seems more powerful than timed DLC or timed exclusives, particularly if linked to new IP.

Not sure why this should be but it seems to work and Sony seems to be leading with this strategy vs MS focusing on trying to secure timed exclusives on known IP

That is going to be the new thing, making people think the game is only for their system.

It's a smart move considering they don't have any heavy hitters left for 2014 stateside (exclusive wise). Driveclub will probably be a big hit in Europe but I don't know if it will have any traction here.

x-Lundz-x

The thing is, Destiny doesn't have to be bigger than Call of Duty. Destiny just needs to be huge on PS4, which is what it looks like is happening and what Sony banked on. I mean the game is one step away from being marketed as a PlayStation Exclusive.

Destiny is going to sell a shitload of copies, and personally I think it's going to be in the top 3 sales charts for the year. Also, September NPD is going to be a slaughter with PS4 crushing the XB1 IMO.

If Destiny does as well as expected then Microsoft definitely bet on the wrong horse, which is frankly pretty surprising given Bungie's history with them and the increasing popularity of space/sci-fi settings in games over the last few years.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Halo is exclusive?

:v
Yeah Halo, Sunset and Forza are exclusive but what's being point out here is that Microsoft is treating the other 3 multiplatform games as exclusive too.

EGM1966

If Destiny does as well as expected then Microsoft definitely bet on the wrong horse, which is frankly pretty surprising given Bungie's history with them and the increasing popularity of space/sci-fi settings in games over the last few years.
I do wonder if MS saw it as too close to Halo vs other IP. In the same vein you could see why Sony wouldn't be too interested in focusing on Tomb Raider whereas MS see it as very interesting.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Sony got a marketing deal with GTA5 PS4 haven't they? They're in marketing beast mode.

For all the noise that gets made about MS's marketing machine, Sony's is far more canny in this regard. Although I bet that locking up marketing deals with Destiny and GTAV probably cost them a pretty penny.

Handy Fake

For all the noise that gets made about MS's marketing machine, Sony's is far more canny in this regard. Although I bet that locking up marketing deals with Destiny and GTAV probably cost them a pretty penny.

Well, to be fair, Bungie was never going to jump back into bed with MS.

I do wonder if MS saw it as too close to Halo vs other IP. In the same vein you could see why Sony wouldn't be too interested in focusing on Tomb Raider whereas MS see it as very interesting.

I'd agree on the first point if not for all the exposure Microsoft has given to Mass Effect previously, which seems about as close to Halo as Destiny does IMO. The second point I tend to agree with more, although the feedback from Yoshida suggests that they were caught unaware so we can't really know what level of interest they had.

I actually thought of that image when I read his post. But alas…

Good score for Sony I'd imagine. Though getting marketing rights to COD isn't exactly a small deal for Microsoft either.

/dead

...aaaaaannndd we're done here..

Exactly. This is the tweet I was referring to earlier in the thread. They're trying to accomplish the same thing with Destiny that Microsoft was with CoD/Evolve due to marketing and exclusive content, the practice made little sense then and it makes little sense now. How can some people not get this?

These are multiplatform games regardless of brand association in the general media, they will sell millions on other platforms so they cannot be used in the same manner an exclusive would. Every AAA game nowadays usually has some type of marketing/exclusive content deal at this point. We already were told that "the Ultimate Destiny experience is on Playstation."

We were also told that Destiny is from "the creators of Halo and the publisher of CoD?" AND on top of that there's a white PS4 bundle. The statement that was made had no real point to it others than to make it seem like they HAD Destiny like Microsoft did in that tweet, which is complete nonsense. Everyone was already going to buy the game because of the pedigree and marketing up to this point. There was nothing needed to be said further.

Instead of showing off a true exclusive that actually needs the marketing like The Order, DRIVECLUB, LBP3, etc., they instead champion a multiplatform game that does not strengthen their platform in anyway in terms of value with their competitor to a consumer. They instead try to mislead us into thinking Destiny is an exclusive.

They're basically trying to push Destiny as their main exclusive, until Bloodborne comes out, when it's a multiplatform game. Even Microsoft isn't doing that with CoD. They atleast put some attention on their actual exclusive titles that are relatively smaller than Destiny or CoD and need the attention. I just don't understand why a company with so much first party talent and third party partners that deliver exclusives would resort to this type of lowbrow tactic.

I think it's fine to push the title for brand recognition, but it seems like they are trying to do a little more than that now, when they are not really pushing any of their upcoming exclusives to even a quarter of the extent they're doing with Destiny. (i.e. The Order, DRIVECLUB, LBP3) No amount of marketing and bundles can make Destiny have the same importance as a first party game as it will sell MILLIONS on other platforms and adds no true value to your system in relation to your competitor. It is not similar to a new Uncharted or Halo release regardless of what Sony says, which makes the statement have no real meaning other than that it has a marketing deal like nearly every other AAA game.

At my gamestop midnight release, I'd definitely say the 360 sku was easily the most popular, which also aligns with Gamestop's best selling chart. The 360 version has been ahead of the PS4's for a very long time so that alone makes it laughable that one would compare it to a first party game.

Obviously, I'm not stating that Gamestop=the World, so the PS4 version will in all likelihood outsell the 360 version due to last gen sales dropping off and the XB1 version due to bigger userbase, bundle and marketing. The PS4 version is also ahead on other sites like Amazon so there's that. All I'm saying is that the gap is definitely not going to be as large as I think a lot of people think. Pre order retailer charts are proving this to be the case. The only sku not selling relatively well is the PS3 version.

Trying to use this as the main selling point for your system is hilarious to me, when you have many quality exclusives on the horizon that are getting little attention.

BibiMaghoo

That is no difference at all. I often speak with people that think COD is an Xbox exclusive, and are surprised any of them are out on PS3. Like, actually surprised.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
At the end of the day Sony was MUCH smarter with the games they chose to partner with.

Watch Dogs sold quite a bit more on Sony systems than on MS (having higher marketshare certainly helped) and Destiny will no doubt help move PS4's and I am willing to bet that Destiny bundle will sell reasonably well.

IIRC, the GTAV/PS3 bundle enabled the PS3 to finally outsell the 360 for that month.

Destiny could be a title that further separates the PS4 from X1.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Well, to be fair, Bungie was never going to jump back into bed with MS.
Do they have much of a choice? I presume that ActiBlizz call the shots.
At the end of the day Sony was MUCH smarter with the games they chose to partner with.

Watch Dogs sold quite a bit more on Sony systems than on MS (having higher marketshare certainly helped) and Destiny will no doubt help move PS4's and I am willing to bet that Destiny bundle will sell reasonably well.

IIRC, the GTAV/PS3 bundle enabled the PS3 to finally outsell the 360 for that month.

Destiny could be a title that further separates the PS4 from X1.
Well it's a chicken/egg scenario too, to some extent. The popularity of PS4 is helping. I'm sure TitanFall would have been more hyped if it were in Destiny's position.

Yeah they had to actually try and compete this gen. For almost the entirety of last gen's 8-year cycle they were being beaten in marketing terms like this Destiny one. They had some deals but MS had all the major ones like FIFA and COD. Now Soony has pulled one to their side, assuming Destiny is the next major franchise.

They have a working partnership for COD...This should be even easier with the rapport between the two companies.
Did Bungie step in and say no? Because there couldn't be a way that Sony outbid MS in these type of deals.

Because Xbox One didn't exist when Destiny was announced at the PlayStation meeting.

EGM1966

I'd agree on the first point if not for all the exposure Microsoft has given to Mass Effect previously, which seems about as close to Halo as Destiny does IMO. The second point I tend to agree with more, although the feedback from Yoshida suggests that they were caught unaware so we can't really know what level of interest they had.
I would never think of Mass Effect being like Halo and TBH I'm not sure many would. They are very different games in different genres IMHO. Destiny on the other hand seems very similar in design and approach as well as genre.

My point on TR is I doubt Sony would consider approaching SE about it in the same way MS would.

In the end it's hard to be sure but it seems to me MS decided to focus on IP where they are weaker genre wise - such as TR Rise - on new IP they felt would compliment their own exclusives - such as TitanFall - and of course continuing their strategy of deals with CoD.

So far Sony seems to have made the better bets on new IP to target for deals - Watch Dogs and Destiny - vs MS but that's just the way it goes sometimes.

gtj1092

Exactly. This is the tweet I was referring to earlier in the thread. They're trying to accomplish the same thing with Destiny that Microsoft was with CoD/Evolve due to marketing and exclusive content, the practice made little sense then and it makes little sense now. How can some people not get this?

These are multiplatform games regardless of brand association in the general media, they will sell millions on other platforms so they cannot be used in the same manner an exclusive would. Every AAA game nowadays usually has some type of marketing/exclusive content deal at this point. We already were told that "the Ultimate Destiny experience is on Playstation."

We were also told that Destiny is from "the creators of Halo and the publisher of CoD?" AND on top of that there's a white PS4 bundle. The statement that was made had no real point to it others than to make it seem like they HAD Destiny like Microsoft did in that tweet, which is complete nonsense. Everyone was already going to buy the game because of the pedigree and marketing up to this point. There was nothing needed to be said further.

Instead of showing off a true exclusive that actually needs the marketing like The Order, DRIVECLUB, LBP3, etc., they instead champion a multiplatform game that does not strengthen their platform in anyway in terms of value with their competitor to a consumer. They instead try to mislead us into thinking Destiny is an exclusive.

They're basically trying to push Destiny as their main exclusive, until Bloodborne comes out, when it's a multiplatform game. Even Microsoft isn't doing that with CoD. They atleast put some attention on their actual exclusive titles that are relatively smaller than Destiny or CoD and need the attention. I just don't understand why a company with so much first party talent and third party partners that deliver exclusives would resort to this type of lowbrow tactic.

I think it's fine to push the title for brand recognition, but it seems like they are trying to do a little more than that now, when they are not really pushing any of their upcoming exclusives to even a quarter of the extent they're doing with Destiny. (i.e. The Order, DRIVECLUB, LBP3) No amount of marketing and bundles can make Destiny have the same importance as a first party game as it will sell MILLIONS on other platforms and adds no true value to your system in relation to your competitor. It is not similar to a new Uncharted or Halo release regardless of what Sony says, which makes the statement have no real meaning other than that it has a marketing deal like nearly every other AAA game.

At my gamestop midnight release, I'd definitely say the 360 sku was easily the most popular, which also aligns with Gamestop's best selling chart. The 360 version has been ahead of the PS4's for a very long time so that alone makes it laughable that one would compare it to a first party game.

Obviously, I'm not stating that Gamestop=the World, so the PS4 version will in all likelihood outsell the 360 version due to last gen sales dropping off and the XB1 version due to bigger userbase, bundle and marketing. The PS4 version is also ahead on other sites like Amazon so there's that. All I'm saying is that the gap is definitely not going to be as large as I think a lot of people think. Pre order retailer charts are proving this to be the case. The only sku not selling relatively well is the PS3 version.

Trying to use this as the main selling point for your system is hilarious to me, when you have many quality exclusives on the horizon that are getting little attention.

How hurt are you? Really you've spent alot of words in this thread talking about this. It's not a big deal. I've seen plenty of LBP3 adverts and DC promo. Those games are months away when the time comes they will get commercials. Destiny is going to help Ps4 sales big time and that helps DC and LBP3 and other games by increasing the buying audience. You just come across like you are dying inside because Destiny is going to be big for Sony and Ps4, especially with your remarks about the 360 version which are totally irrelevant. No one disputes that its a multiplatform title not even Sony, so why all the whine?

pixlexic

Banned
My theory is at the beginning of development both activision and sony thought the ps4 version would be the hard sell and and everyone on 360 would go to xbone....

They put forth these deals to "try" to push that market.

It really paid off for sony.

newjeruse

I see 3 exclusives on that ad. I don't see anywhere on that add that they claim those are all exclusives. But that they have exclusives and then show 3 out of the 5 games on the list.
I don't think anyone is reading it differently, but it is misleading and deceptive.

How hurt are you? Really you've spent alot of words in this thread talking about this. It's not a big deal. I've seen plenty of LBP3 adverts and DC promo. Those games are months away when the time comes they will get commercials. Destiny is going to help Ps4 sales big time and that helps DC and LBP3 and other games by increasing the buying audience. You just come across like you are dying inside because Destiny is going to be big for Sony and Ps4, especially with your remarks about the 360 version which are totally irrelevant. No one disputes that its a multiplatform title not even Sony, so why all the whine?

No one is hurt at all. I do not care about what a game does for game companies. I will most likely be buying a PS4 when Bloodborne comes out as it is the console where most JRPGs will come out and I am a fan of that genre as well as Naughty Dog games. People are confused that it's multiplatform as some have even stated in thread and we're on a GAMING forum. If your not following the game closely, you may think it's an exclusive with all the and marketing. Many people on GAF have said casuals think this is the case.

Regardless that's not the primary issue at hand here. The question is why champion destiny over and over. The general public already gets what is trying to be conveyed. There is no need to throw out meaningless statements at this point as it's not accomplishing anything.

The exclusives aren't any more far off than Microsoft's exclusives that they've been promoting and one of them comes out next month, c'mon man really? You get the issue but you choose to look past it. Destiny needs no further promotion at this point, everyone is already buying it. spread some of that attention to true exclusives that add better value to your system like LBP3, The Order and DRIVECLUB.

They are trying to make it seem like Destiny is the big first party game from the until Bloodborne, which is not the case. Showcase actual exclusives especially when they need it more than this multiplat does.

I jus find it funny that so many got worked up over Microsoft and that tweet and shouted from the rooftops "Make your own first party games Microsoft", yet they have no problem with this.

Finally, the only reason I've spent a lot of time on this is because many people replied to me.
Is it really that hard to understand for you?

Quotient

The whole Destiny story is a fascinating - a Microsoft owned studio, leaves to become Independent and now it's new IP is being marketed and pushed by Sony (Microsoft's biggest competitor in games).

Perhaps the biggest mistake Microsoft has made is not the xbox one debacle but losing Bungie. Destiny should be an exclusive holiday game for Microsoft. How they lost the studio that arguably established the xbox as the first-person-shooter console and introduced one of the biggest IP's is baffling.

Even after Bungie leaving, Microsoft should have used the $400 million from the NFL deal to secure some sort of exclusivity with Destiny - whether marketing, content or even timed-exclusivity. Sony is going to do extraordinarily very well attaching the playstation brand to Destiny.

I don't trust anyone who can't count to 6.

Cool story. Obvious typo. I just woke up on the west coast here. Interesting to see sucky ass user review scores for Destiny so far on both console versions.

Lol came here to post this.

I imagine you did since there's nothing to fight of my post before that. Nowhere in that ad does MS say those are all exclusives or say anything about those being all exclusive. All they say is what you see in that ad.

you people,

activision is the mastermind.

they positioned their games to be "exclusives" to either consoles.

cod for xbone, destiny for ps4.

that way, they win no matter what. ms closed with cod during their reveal and their e3. sony closed with destiny during their reveal and their e3.

they had horses on either camps, and i say they actually took a bigger risk with destiny.

cod will be a sure-fire hit no matter where it lands. funny thing is, ms probably wanted cod more for the same reasons.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm curious to see if this holds out to be true.

The series has become a bit long in the tooth and I do think it's starting to wear out its welcome. The latest game does seem to be the most interesting since Black Ops 1, though, so we'll see.

Either way, it's a victory for Activision. :\

badb0y

Just because Microsoft has money in the bank doesn't mean Xbox division can spend it willy nilly.

Oddduck

The whole Destiny story is a fascinating - a Microsoft owned studio, leaves to become Independent and now it's new IP is being marketed and pushed by Sony (Microsoft's biggest competitor in games).

Perhaps the biggest mistake Microsoft has made is not the xbox one debacle but losing Bungie. Destiny should be an exclusive holiday game for Microsoft. How they lost the studio that arguably established the xbox as the first-person-shooter console and introduced one of the biggest IP's is baffling.

Even after Bungie leaving, Microsoft should have used the $400 million from the NFL deal to secure some sort of exclusivity with Destiny - whether marketing, content or even timed-exclusivity. Sony is going to do extraordinarily very well attaching the playstation brand to Destiny.

It kind of reminds me a little bit of Insomniac situation too.

Insomniac creates the Spyro the Dragon series for Sony.
Insomniac creates the Ratchet & Clank series for Sony.
Insomniac creates the Resistance series for Sony.

And yet, Sunset Overdrive is an Xbox One exclusive.

Top Bottom