• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: For Sony, Destiny treated as if it's a first-party release this xmas

Bishop89

well there were people on here (A hardcore gaming community) who once upon a time thought this was exclusive too

Toki767

so did microsoft not go after destiny because of titanfall?

Who knows really. They might have rather hitched their wagon to Titanfall and Call of Duty, or they may have thought Destiny was too much like Halo. It's pretty clear that this marketing deal took place while Don Mattrick was still at the helm so who knows what he was thinking.

I wonder who will spend more money, Sony on Destiny or MS on Halo 5?

Halo 5 is a 3 year Dev cycle game that will have what is probably the most lavish launch MS ever spent money on.

Destiny is a marketing deal.

Not even remotely comparable.

fedexpeon

Banned
I don't understand...why didn't MS outbid for the exclusive marketing?
They have a working partnership for COD...This should be even easier with the rapport between the two companies.
Did Bungie step in and say no? Because there couldn't be a way that Sony outbid MS in these type of deals.

Raide

Halo 5 is a 3 year Dev cycle game that will have what is probably the most lavish launch MS ever spent money on.

Destiny is a marketing deal.

Not even remotely comparable.

Sorry, should have said how much money on marketing. MS do like to go all crazy for Halo stuff.

Kayant

Co-marketing it sure works especially with a new IP. Asked my friend earlier if he was getting it. Thought it was a PS4 excluisve :p. Disclaimer he hasn't a massive gamer/none does he actively search for info.

It's easy to see why manufacturer's do these deals and will continue to do so. I wonder how much they spent on this marketing deal? Must of be quite pricey.

Toki767

They have a working partnership for COD...This should be even easier with the rapport between the two companies.
Did Bungie step in and say no? Because there couldn't be a way that Sony outbid MS in these type of deals.
As far as I can tell? This probably makes the most sense.

DaNlpd4.jpg

kunonabi

I would assume most people would know that it isn't a PS4 exclusive when they walk into a store and see advertising for both versions, but I guess the extra content will sway people too.

You would be surprised at how often that isn't the case.

This is the same MS that thought always online and no used games were brilliant ideas at the time. They may have thought Activision would offer them a deal on it anyways since they expected to own this generation just like the last one. They may have been too enamored with Titanfall to care. More than likely it was a combination of factors. Or perhaps they felt they didn't need it or a marketing/dlc deal for a new IP.

Interestingly at my Gamestop there were about ten or so folks walking out with the Xbox One version. I saw one PS3 buyer and the rest I saw before I left were PS4 buyers.

terrier

i don't know, but since they had some 'relations' with bungie they could at least have had a similar approach to destiny as they did with CoD previous generation. Or at least search parity with Sony's marketing deal.
They probably thought the big game was titanfall though.
I can't wait to see XBone Destiny numbers and compare them with titanfall.

smurfx

get some go again
This is the same MS that thought always online and no used games were brilliant ideas at the time. They may have thought Activision would offer them a deal on it anyways since they expected to own this generation just like the last one. They may have been too enamored with Titanfall to care. More than likely it was a combination of factors. Or perhaps they felt they didn't need it or a marketing/dlc deal for a new IP.

Interestingly at my Gamestop there were about ten or so folks walking out with the Xbox One version. I saw one PS3 buyer and the rest I saw before I left were PS4 buyers.
maybe EA wrote something in the exclusive contract that forced microsoft to only push their game this year? after all EA probably thought titanfall would be selling a ton of games and would be fighting destiny this fall.

MS went with Titanfall. Sony went Destiny. Sony won with the better deal.

StoopKid

So I can only assume they weren't able to afford actual exclusivity? Timed or otherwise. Sounds like they really wanted it too...

I hate when people do this jump to conclusion bs.

They are treating it the same way ms treats cod.

Hell ms even had a huge event just for the multiplayer reveal.

Toki767

But Titanfall is only on xbox, and Destiny is on ps and xbox?

Well Microsoft also chose Call of Duty for another generation which couldn't have been cheap.

I bet Destiny sells better on PS4 than Titanfall did on XBO.

I bet Destiny sells better on PS4 than Titanfall did total. It outselling Titanfall on XBO alone seems like a given considering the install base over 2x as much.

stryke

I'm more curious as to what point they thought a PS3 and PS4 version would be worth pursuing and the circumstances behind them.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
They're certainly seem to be treating it like a first party game, from a marketing POV.

I remember back at E3, some SCEA marketing exec said 'we will make Destiny the biggest hit of the year'. That struck me as somewhat unusual at the time given its a third party game, but they seem to be really all in in maximising the association between Destiny and PS. I think it'll probably pay off for them.

raven777

I think it's quite a good move for Sony. With PS4's improved controller, bringing Bungie to Playstation they are making it feel like PS4 is a great console for FPS, whereas PS3 had some bad reputation for FPS due to the controller and lack of strong exclusive FPS games. Of course MS still has COD partnership but still this is great for Sony.

terrier

I bet Destiny sells better on Xbox than titanfall does on ps4

the thing is ,since TItantfall didn't help that much moving XBO hardware, which is the point of exclusivity, at least one of them imo, and Destiny may move some PS4 hw , this time sony did the right choice.

Krilekk

Banned

No, that ship has sailed long before Titanfall was bought. When Bungie was allowed to become indie the contract made them do two more games for Microsoft (ODST and Reach) and gave Microsoft right of first refusal for the next IP. So back then they could've gotten Destiny as an exclusive but were not convinced of its appeal. Only then did Activision get into the game.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
i don't know, but since they had some 'relations' with bungie they could at least have had a similar approach to destiny as they did with CoD previous generation. Or at least search parity with Sony's marketing deal.
They probably thought the big game was titanfall though.
I can't wait to see XBone Destiny numbers and compare them with titanfall.

The weird thing is, I thought it was leaked back in some lawsuit documents that Microsoft actually did have a deal with Activision around Destiny. Indeed, that the first Destiny would come initially only to Xbox (360 & next-gen), then later to PS3 the following year (depending on technical analysis). Then the sequels would be day one on all the next gen systems.

I think it's interesting to ask whatever happened to that... it made the Sony announcement at the PS4 reveal all the more surprising.

Fake edit: see here http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=474970

wROK6Kl.png

Maybe because the timetable slipped the agreement was void and Sony swooped in?

Or perhaps this was not any formal agreement but just a 'default' fallout of Bungie's affinity/history with MS hardware, and the slipped schedule just made them more open to Sony SKUs and then ultimately a Sony marketing deal?

Hoo-doo

Banned
I bet PS4 hardware sales will get a substantial bump as well, those bundles are seemingly selling like hotcakes.

Sony really bet on the winning horse with this game.

Chao

I'm ready to eat crow if Destiny ends up being the best game ever, but having played the beta it pisses me off to see this huge marketing push. It's like they know this game is screwed unless they advertise it like crazy because it really is nothing special

Mario007

Oh great I see you're using the assumption of MS=Xbox Divsion=All the money in the world, Sony=Playstation Division=going bankrupt any minute guys!

El-Suave

MS has multiple deals with EA on lots of games. They surely cost a pretty penny. Fifa co-marketing alone must be very expensive, but I guess MS thinks it'll help them in Europe. Add to that the first party build up that needed to happen for the Xbox One launch and the new deals with Ubisoft (Assassin's Creed co marketing isn't cheap either but might help in Europe) and the deal with 2K for Evolve. Their budget isn't endless while Sony "saved" their previous Fifa and Assassin's Creed expenses and they're going all in with Destiny. The fact that it's a Bungie game probably is a big deal for Sony, too.
Platform holders want to spread their investments and publishers want as many partners as they can get, too. It didn't make sense for Activision to shut out Sony completely.

The exclusive advertising has worked.

My co-worker who is a casual player had the 360 last gen.

He liked the white console and thought Destiny was a PS4 exclusive.

He's gone ahead and bought it. (and the last of us!)

Well, they have to treat it that way, don't they? With just Driveclub and LBP3, it's not like they have many big first party releases this holiday.

Destiny is a PlayStation exclusive in Japan, isn't it?

Did Somy pay for that, or did Bungie / Activision figure it's just not worth releasing over there?

Top Bottom