• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: For Sony, Destiny treated as if it's a first-party release this xmas

Even after Bungie leaving, Microsoft should have used the $400 million from the NFL deal to secure some sort of exclusivity with Destiny - whether marketing, content or even timed-exclusivity. Sony is going to do extraordinarily very well attaching the playstation brand to Destiny.
At the time MS was focused on Titanfall not Destiny. They thought that would be the big game for the XB1 not Destiny. They simply choose the wrong game to back.

Not to mention from what I hear Sony planned on backing Destiny from the get go even before the PS4 unveiling. So even if they wanted to "steal" Destiny from Sony it was probably too late to make a move.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Even after Bungie leaving, Microsoft should have used the $400 million from the NFL deal to secure some sort of exclusivity with Destiny - whether marketing, content or even timed-exclusivity. Sony is going to do extraordinarily very well attaching the playstation brand to Destiny.

I still don't understand the idea behind the $400 million NFL deal. What a waste of money. Just think of the games they could have produced with so much money. All of it thrown away in an attempt to make the Xbone a must have media center with Kinect as its center piece.

you people,

activision is the mastermind.

they positioned their games to be "exclusives" to either consoles.

cod for xbone, destiny for ps4.

that way, they win no matter what. ms closed with cod during their reveal and their e3. sony closed with destiny during their reveal and their e3.

they had horses on either camps, and i say they actually took a bigger risk with destiny.

cod will be a sure-fire hit no matter where it lands. funny thing is, ms probably wanted cod more for the same reasons.

Exactly, why are people not getting this? Activision wanted all of the current gen marketshare, they weren't going to limit themselves to one platform holder like EA did. Microsoft wouldn't be allowed to outbid Sony period.

Most people I know think its a Ps4 exclusive.
Most people know about the game from ads and all the ads only mention Ps4.
Two of my friends actually bought a Ps4 for Destiny.(interestingly neither of them had a last gen console)

I think Destiny is the most important title for Sony this fall/winter, but Driveclub, LBP3, and Planetside2 are also important for Sony.
LBP3 might not sound like a big deal, but I think LBP has a huge fanbase amongst more casual gamers I can see it sell better than Infamous.

I still don't understand the idea behind the $400 million NFL deal. What a waste of money. Just think of the games they could have produced with so much money. All of it thrown away in an attempt to make the Xbone a must have media center with Kinect as its center piece.
As others have said it was a MS-wide deal, not just an Xbox deal. Hence Surface Pros on NFL sidelines that coaches were using.

But some players and coaches opted to punt and use the old standby paper copies instead of the newfangled interactive device. During the broadcast, players could be seen flipping through paper printouts of game action.
Bills coach Doug Marrone told the Associated Press that his tablet didn't work for the first half of the game.
The tablets offer a speed advantage over paper printouts
http://news.investors.com/technolog...fits-teams-with-microsoft-surface-tablets.htm

Or something like this:

xbox-twitter-deleted-tweet.jpg

This is just silly.

It kind of reminds me a little bit of Insomniac situation too.

Insomniac creates the Spyro the Dragon series for Sony.
Insomniac creates the Ratchet & Clank series for Sony.
Insomniac creates the Resistance series for Sony.

And yet, Sunset Overdrive is an Xbox One exclusive.

Insomniac isn't and never will be Bungie. Their output has been at worst mediocre and at best average as of late. Sony knows full well Sunset Overdrive will have minimal effect on Xbox One sales. I mean Spyro is now Skylanders, Ratchet and Clank is a non-entity and Resistance is dead. Their last game, Fuse, was horribly mediocre. MS hedged their bets on a meaningless exclusive in Sunset Overdrive.

I know a dozen people at my work who are getting the Destiny PS4 bundle so it seems life Sony's position of trying to treat it as a 1st party title is working.

TrounceX

People in here acting like the average person doesn't know shit about video games, and I'm not buying it!. I'd bet that very, very few people are going to actually believe Destiny is exclusive, no matter the deceptive marketing techniques, such as only showing Playstation logos during advertisements etc etc.

No one buys a $400 console and then a $60 game without doing a basic amount of research (except maybe the most naive and indifferent parent, I'll give you that one). This type of information is too easily obtained...Consumers aren't morons anymore. For example, Microsoft tried so hard to obfuscate the power difference between the PS4 and Xbone....who fell for that? Nobody falls for this shit. I'm sick of hearing about it!

Quotient

It kind of reminds me a little bit of Insomniac situation too.

Insomniac creates the Spyro the Dragon series for Sony.
Insomniac creates the Ratchet & Clank series for Sony.
Insomniac creates the Resistance series for Sony.

And yet, Sunset Overdrive is an Xbox One exclusive.

You are right in that they are similar but different in that Sony never owned Insomniac, and Sony has a far larger stable of 1st party studios producing IP's that lately have sold better than Insomniac's - Sony Santa Monica, Naughty Dog, Polyphony etc. Having insomniac go 3rd party is a loss for Sony, but a comparable example would be Naughty Dog, Polyphony or SSM going independent.

Bungie was Microsoft's big studio, the one studio that would create system-sellers,

Karatechop250

Neo Member
It's a smart move considering they don't have any heavy hitters left for 2014 stateside (exclusive wise). Driveclub will probably be a big hit in Europe but I don't know if it will have any traction here.

Drive Club lost me when there was no performance customization and very little overall car customization besides a few decals. Looks good but I just feel it needs more time seems like Sony has been rushing Evolution Studios way to much.

At the time MS was focused on Titanfall not Destiny. They thought that would be the big game for the XB1 not Destiny. They simply choose the wrong game to back.

Not to mention from what I hear Sony planned on backing Destiny from the get go even before the PS4 unveiling. So even if they wanted to "steal" Destiny from Sony it was probably too late to make a move.

Wow. You've already made that assessment. Impressive.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
This shouldn't be a huge deal as we have deals Microsoft and Sony have done in the past that have been beneficial to each other. Sony got it right.

I-hate-u

Insomniac isn't and never will be Bungie. Their output has been at worst mediocre and at best average as of late. Sony knows full well Sunset Overdrive will have minimal effect on Xbox One sales. I mean Spyro is now Skylanders, Ratchet and Clank is a non-entity and Resistance is dead. Their last game, Fuse, was horribly mediocre. MS hedged their bets on a meaningless exclusive in Sunset Overdrive.

I think its more that Microsoft would let IG keep the IP and Sony probably didn't. Also, MS loves their betrayalton announcements, so it works out well for both parties.

I am sure Sony loves working with Insomniac. I have never heard anything bad about Ted Price and his crew.

I think its more that Microsoft would let IG keep the IP and Sony probably didn't. Also, MS loves their betrayalton announcements, so it works out well for both parties.

I am sure Sony loves working with Insomniac. I have never heard anything bad about Ted Price and his crew.

Fair enough. Sony probably still feels they aren't missing much letting Insomniac go third party. Sunset Overdrive is going to get lost in the jumble of big third party releases this season.

This is subjective other than Fuse, but I agree with your overall points. Insomniac even at their best was not comparable to Bungie. Bungie would be more comparable to a Naughty Dog. However, these situations are not 1:1 at all, so I'm not sure why the comparison was made by that user.

Insomniac initially went to Sony with Sunset Overdrive and Sony did not want to let then keep the IP, while Microsoft did when approached.

The two games we are comparing are not even remotely the same case. One is a multiplatform game across current and last gen consoles with the chance of a possible PC release. The other is a fully exclusive game.

Microsoft are in no way "hedging" their bets with Sunset Overdrive, they were approached with an idea and accepted it.

Microsoft allowed Bungie to leave and make a multiplatform game. Sony had no choice in the matter as Insomniac are third party. I'd argue that it was a mistake to let Bungie leave because they could of had Halo from 343 plus Destiny from Bungie as exclusives, but alas that did not happen.

Destiny for Sony is more comparable to Advanced Warfare for Microsoft in all almost every single sense(bundle,marketing, exclusive content,multiplat,etc.) Even then Sunset is not even second on the list of the biggest games for Microsoft this fall.

I'm sure no one would argue Sunset is more important than Halo MCC or Forza Horizon, surely?

These situations are not even close to being the same. People need to stop with this comparison. I'm not saying you were doing it specifically as you were just responding to that user btw.

This is subjective other than Fuse, but I agree with your overall points. Insomniac even at their best was not comparable to Bungie. Bungie would be more comparable to a Naughty Dog. However, these situations are not 1:1 at all, so I'm not sure why the comparison was made by that user.

Insomniac initially went to Sony with Sunset Overdrive and Sony did not want to let then keep the IP, while Microsoft did when approached.

The two games we are comparing are not even remotely the same case. One is a multiplatform game across current and last gen consoles with the chance of a possible PC release. The other is a fully exclusive game.

Microsoft are in no way "hedging" their bets with Sunset Overdrive, they were approached with an idea and accepted it.

Microsoft allowed Bungie to leave and make a multiplatform game. Sony had no choice in the matter as Insomniac are third party. I'd argue that it was a mistake to let Bungie leave because they could of had Halo from 343 plus Destiny from Bungie as exclusives, but alas that did not happen.

Destiny for Sony is more comparable to Advanced Warfare for Microsoft in all almost every single sense(bundle,marketing, exclusive content,multiplat,etc.) Even then Sunset is not even second on the list of the biggest games for Microsoft this fall.

I'm sure no one would argue Sunset is more important than Halo MCC or Forza Horizon, surely?

These situations are not even close to being the same. People need to stop with this comparison. I'm not saying you were doing it specifically as you were just responding to that user btw.

No worries, I think people are curious to see what exactly Destiny does for PS4 and if it will justify the marketing spent to have it associated more with the console.

BriGuy

As successful as Destiny is poised to be for the PS4, I can also see it biting Sony in the ass down the road. If Activision can show that the majority of PS+ traffic is used for Destiny, they'll use that to extort more money out of them (and by extension us). That's the reason Xbox Live went from $50 to $60 after all.

No one is hurt at all. I do not care about what a game does for game companies. I will most likely be buying a PS4 when Bloodborne comes out as it is the console where most JRPGs will come out and I am a fan of that genre as well as Naughty Dog games. People are confused that it's multiplatform as some have even stated in thread and we're on a GAMING forum. If your not following the game closely, you may think it's an exclusive with all the and marketing. Many people on GAF have said casuals think this is the case.

Regardless that's not the primary issue at hand here. The question is why champion destiny over and over. The general public already gets what is trying to be conveyed. There is no need to throw out meaningless statements at this point as it's not accomplishing anything.

The exclusives aren't any more far off than Microsoft's exclusives that they've been promoting and one of them comes out next month, c'mon man really? You get the issue but you choose to look past it. Destiny needs no further promotion at this point, everyone is already buying it. spread some of that attention to true exclusives that add better value to your system like LBP3, The Order and DRIVECLUB.

They are trying to make it seem like Destiny is the big first party game from the until Bloodborne, which is not the case. Showcase actual exclusives especially when they need it more than this multiplat does.

I jus find it funny that so many got worked up over Microsoft and that tweet and shouted from the rooftops "Make your own first party games Microsoft", yet they have no problem with this.

Finally, the only reason I've spent a lot of time on this is because many people replied to me.
Is it really that hard to understand for you?

Destiny will sell far more than Driveclub and LBP3, so Sony co-marketing it and pushing it as a Playstation release is understandable. They're not claiming it's exclusive, but they're pushing it hard because it will benefit the console and consumers will associate the game with Playstation. We'll also see the same thing with Destiny 2 in a couple of years, whether Sony still have a co-marketing deal or not.

jryi

Senior Analyst, Fanboy Drivel Research Partners LLC
Destiny needs no further promotion at this point, everyone is already buying it. spread some of that attention to true exclusives that add better value to your system like LBP3, The Order and DRIVECLUB.
I don't really understand, what possible reason there would be for Sony to dilute the message of the largest new IP launch of the year, which happens right now, where they have an exclusive marketing deal and when they want to keep up the momentum. This is the only sensible thing for them to do to strengthen the Playstation brand. And I would imagine that there is a clause in the deal with Activision about a set sum of money being spent for advertising, so whether they wanted or not, that money was going to be spent.

They will have time to advertise Driveclub and LBP when their launch is closer. I'm not sure if they even need to with Driveclub, though, because there will be a huge install base due to PS+, and if the game is good, Sony will have a bunch of ambassadors making sure that the world knows.

On the marketing?

You know they are going to milk this into several parts.

damn it, it seems that way

i bet they are gonna start with a same platform holder comparison(ps4Vps3-360Vxb1) then last gen as a separate article(ps3V360) then they are gonna cross next gen and last gen from both ms and sony(ps4V360 - xb1Vps3) and the last one will be ps4 vs xb1

Oddduck

I wasn't suggesting that Insomiac will ever be Bungie.

I was suggesting that Sony let a big exclusive slip by them.... from a studio that normally makes Sony exclusives.

Boke1879

Most people I know think its a Ps4 exclusive.
Most people know about the game from ads and all the ads only mention Ps4.
Two of my friends actually bought a Ps4 for Destiny.(interestingly neither of them had a last gen console)

I think Destiny is the most important title for Sony this fall/winter, but Driveclub, LBP3, and Planetside2 are also important for Sony.
LBP3 might not sound like a big deal, but I think LBP has a huge fanbase amongst more casual gamers I can see it sell better than Infamous.

LBP3 is a huge deal for Sony. I can imagine that franchise generates a lot of money with it's costume and DLC packs. I would not be surprised if Sony had 3 bundles for Black Friday and going forward. The Destiny Bundle, LBP3 Bundle, and a GTAV bundle.

Toki767

LBP3 is a huge deal for Sony. I can imagine that franchise generates a lot of money with it's costume and DLC packs. I would not be surprised if Sony had 3 bundles for Black Friday and going forward. The Destiny Bundle, LBP3 Bundle, and a GTAV bundle.

Sony does seem to have the marketing agreement for GTA V don't they? That GTA V PS4 bundle is going to be a big seller too I'd imagine.

I could very well be wrong but, it just seems that Destiny so far will out perform better than Titanfall. Again though I'm not psychic.

Of course it's going to sell more copies. It's on the 4 biggest platforms.

But suggesting that they bet on the wrong game, when Destiny isn't even exclusive, seems strange to me. Microsoft still has the benefit of Destiny being on their console.

MilesTeg

Banned
Sony does seem to have the marketing agreement for GTA V don't they? That GTA V PS4 bundle is going to be a big seller too I'd imagine.

Well they definitely had a marketing agreement for the PS3/360 release. Not sure it extends to next gen, but considering at E3 it was shown during Sony's press conference, seems like a safe bet.

NastyBook

Sony did well with this one. Great strategy.
Yup. Some people in this thread are just booty blustered. Sony pulled a Microsoft with a big name release in the same vein as COD, and now all of a sudden this particular practice should be frowned upon.

Good for the goose, etc.

Hyunashi

I could very well be wrong but, it just seems that Destiny so far will out perform better than Titanfall. Again though I'm not psychic.

Remember when people thought Titanfall would sell more than Destiny? The overhype for that game was insane. It will be interesting to see if Destiny will fall off the cliff in terms of coverage or not
I doubt it though

Me and a few friends picked up our beautiful white machines after exams today. Sony really did market this well, especially with a white console.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Of course it's going to sell more copies. It's on the 4 biggest platforms.

But suggesting that they bet on the wrong game, when Destiny isn't even exclusive, seems strange to me. Microsoft still has the benefit of Destiny being on their console.
I think his point is that Destiny will outperform TitanFall ON THE XBONE. If that's his point, he may have something. If it does (which is looking like a real possibility) that is more damning than just which title each company (MS and Sony) chose to back.

Not that I have any problem with TitanFall.. for a first title from a new studio it was damn impressive. I have much bigger hopes for TF2 (and will hopefully be able to play it on PS4 this time)

While LittleBigPlanet 3 and DriveClub get virtually no marketing and The Order is a PR clusterfuck.

your statement is weird.. and kind of pointless.. DC and LBP3 are each well over a month out.. no way are they going to be marketed yet. The Order best case scenario is almost 5 months out.. Complain about marketing in a month or so... not months before the games release..

Boke1879

Well I'm just assuming they'll have one. They'd be stupid not to. If they do those 3 bundles that will drive sales in a major way for them.

This holiday is Sony's to lose in my opinion. I'm just going to go ahead and assume September is a lock for them. Don't see why October would be any different.

With November and December being huge drivers for sales I don't see why they can't come out on top those months either.

Black Friday deals for both consoles will be INSANE I think.

Top Bottom