• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Is Uncharted more 'walking simulator' than action game?

Griss

All these years after Uncharted 2, and I must say I can no longer really accept the platforming sections as anything more than quasi-interactive cutscenes. QTEs in new clothing. The 'edge-grab-lock-on' range that Drake has in UC4 is insane. The designers desperately don't want you failing one of these segments. It's just more of the linear story as far as they're concerned. And there's almost never a second path to take, or an incorrect path to take. I was really expecting that this part of the game would have been improved in this one, but it hasn't been. The only challenging part of the platforming remains 'knowing where to start' - ie. finding the beginning of the trail of linear edges.

Not a lot, interactively. Sometimes you simply watch cutscenes and have zero input whatsoever. The rest of the time you're being funnelled through intentionally frictionless scripted puzzles or button-tapping your way through automated platforming sequences. Technically you're still "playing" the game, but your agency is left out of your hands.

I mean, that really nails it, right there.

And yet, no one seemed to mind.

Well, I'm starting to mind. 10 chapters into UC4 and I can't pretend I'm hugely impressed by anything other than the visuals and acting. This is leagues below what they accomplished in TLOU from the perspective of gameplay, writing, pacing... most of the important stuff. But I'm not yet halfway through, and in a game that relies this heavily on narrative that means that everything could change if the story comes together.

Also, it's absolutely astonishing how Naughty Dog threads bring out the worst in GAF. If ever you wonder where the site gets it's 'Sony-biased users' label from, these are the threads to check out. Fortunately it appears the mods are sick of this shit. Glad to hear it.

EDIT: Oh shit, in after Evilore. Welp, guess no one's reading this! lol

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Anyone else feel there's a fundamental flaw in that the point the writer is making is reliant upon reducing Uncharted down to solely its single-player story campaign?

The multi-player aspect, which incorporates all the games combat and traversal systems, is not an inconsequential part of the overall package, its kind of a big deal.

The whole point of the "walking simulator" (hate that term, personally) is that their whole approach is antithetical to that sort of high-energy competitive/cooperative thrills offered by online shooters. Yes, you could probably mod EGTTR's environmental assets into Crysis or some other fps's framework, but the end result would just be that shooter with a themed reskin.

I'm on chapter 9, and I think I've had the controller in my lap as much as in my hands.

Maybe it's just the first half is super slow. But I can see where the author of the article is coming from.

Probably the worst first half of an Uncharted game.

With that said, I really don't see what's wrong with the article. It's asking a good question, in my opinion. And like I said before, I see their point.

nib95

Banned
To be clear, I'm enjoying the game. I'm just saying it's mechanically light, because each mechanic (in terms of traversal) is more or less tapping X at the right time.

Stand at the edge of a platform, and tap X to automatically make jump. Reach out to outcropping, and tap X to make the jump. Stand over ledge, and tap Circle to drop to ledge. Slide to end of slope, and tap X at edge to make jump. Swing up rope, and when rope is near edge, tap X to make jump. Etc. There's no modifying said jump, no deciding where it goes or how it sticks the landing, no increasing its distance or height or angle or speed, no air control over trajectory, etc. It's just... wait until you stand/swing/slide to edge, then tap X. A minimal timing element, and a flat input.

But again, that's OK. It doesn't make for much of a game, but the way I see it, it's in service of an experience akin to a Disneyland ride, and that's perfectly valid in its own right. I'm thoroughly enjoying my time with UC4.

You can actually change and modify the ropeswing jumps in terms of both height and distance, depending on how much you descend or ascend the rope before you start swinging (though most of the time you don't need to), as well as how much you actually swing or gain momentum for the longer jumps etc. It's actually a requirement to get some off the beaten track treasures here and there, that are a little tricker to get to. Likewise with the rockpick, where you actually place it in a wall or area determines how far you can actually reach out to, though granted it's quite liberal in it's implementation. Then there's the vehicles, which talking about the jeep specifically, allows for some skill with your control efficiency, how you manoeuvre, use the terrain, your handbrake to do drifts etc. That said, I do see where you're coming from and appreciate your points.

Griss

I'm on chapter 9, and I think I've had the controller in my lap as much as in my hands.

Maybe it's just the first half is super slow. But I can see where the author of the article is coming from.

Huh, I'm not the only one thinking this? I was just on a wiki looking at the first 10 chapters of each of the games, and I was surprised to see how much incredible stuff had already happened by this point in U2 and U3. (Of course U3 also had the Syria section by this stage, so it wasn't perfect, but still).

I'm thinking the back half must be fucking spectacular considering the rapturous reviews. Either that, or reviewers were giving ND reflected credit from just how good TLOU and UC2 were.

Neiteio

You can actually change and modify the ropeswing jumps in terms of both height and distance, depending on how much you descend or ascend the rope before you start swinging, as well as how much you actually swing or gain momentum for the longer jumps etc. It's actually a requirement to get some off the beaten track treasures here and there, that are a little tricker to get to.Likewise with the rickpick, where you actually place it in a wall or area determines how far you can actually reach out to, though granted it's quite liberal in it's implementation. Then there's the vehicles, which talking about the jeep specifically, allows for some skill with your control efficiency, how you manoeuvre, use the terrain, your handbrake to do drifts etc. That said, I do see where you're coming from and appreciate your points.
All fair points.

I'm really enjoying the game, and it'll probably go down as one of my favorites, I'm sure. I'm just saying I can see where people are coming from when they feel it's a bit light in terms of mechanics.

I like all kinds of games, so I'm fine with Uncharted doing its own thing.

All these years after Uncharted 2, and I must say I can no longer really accept the platforming sections as anything more than quasi-interactive cutscenes. QTEs in new clothing. The 'edge-grab-lock-on' range that Drake has in UC4 is insane. The designers desperately don't want you failing one of these segments. It's just more of the linear story as far as they're concerned. And there's almost never a second path to take, or an incorrect path to take. I was really expecting that this part of the game would have been improved in this one, but it hasn't been. The only challenging part of the platforming remains 'knowing where to start' - ie. finding the beginning of the trail of linear edges.
I've actually found this to be the only Uncharted where there seemed to be a decent amount of secondary routes and paths.

My first play-through for a game like this (atmospheric, cinematic, story/character driven) is to take it at the pace the story provides, and to sort of play it in-character and cinematic, like I'm playing through a movie. So if the characters need to rush, I rush. If they're taking a breather I shift gears and take it easy and explore. Second play-throughs for me are about exploration, collectibles off the beaten path, admiring scenery, taking screenshots, etc. I only mention this because in following the game's pace I've left several side areas and climbing paths unexplored.

I can't say whether any of those alternate paths are anything more than just small nooks with little gleamy treasures in them, or dead ends that I was expected to run into before going the correct way, or whatever else, but I've been surprised by how many of them I have passed by entirely without exploring. Definitely more than any previous Uncharted game I've played.

Griss

I've actually found this to be the only Uncharted where there seemed to be a decent amount of secondary routes and paths.

My first play-through for a game like this (atmospheric, cinematic, story/character driven) is to take it at the pace the story provides, and to sort of play it in-character and cinematic, like I'm playing through a movie. So if the characters need to rush, I rush. If they're taking a breather I shift gears and take it easy and explore. Second play-throughs for me are about exploration, collectibles off the beaten path, admiring scenery, taking screenshots, etc. I only mention this because in following the game's pace I've left several side areas and climbing paths unexplored.

I can't say whether any of those alternate paths are anything more than just small nooks with little gleamy treasures in them, or dead ends that I was expected to run into before going the correct way, or whatever else, but I've been surprised by how many of them I have passed by entirely without exploring. Definitely more than any previous Uncharted game I've played.

Well, I play like you. On my first playthrough I just go... wherever. Wherever looks like 'forward'. And the fact that I've only gone down a tunnel / corridor and found it to be a side area once suggests that by definition, there aren't many alternate / wrong routes to take. Because if there were, I'd have found some by chance on my travels. As for climbing, I think maybe three times I've hopped in one direction about three steps before realising I need to go a slightly different way.

I'm not talking about well-hidden secrets here, I'm talking about different paths out in the open that a normal player would find on a first playthrough. The game appears to be pretty much without them to me so far, same as the original trilogy pretty much was. I was expecting more.

I'm only at Madagascar, but so far, U4 is boring me to tears. TLoU is one of the best games I've ever played, and is similar in conceit. But the conceit works better for that game due to the atmosphere and premise being way more stimulating.

U4, needs more combat, IMO. This has been said all over the place, and I'm repeating it here. It's obviously been improved, I really wish there was more of it.

Even in areas that seem "open", like Madagascar, there's plenty of invisible walls and one track to your destination. There's not much to "explore".

The "platforming" sections are truly tensionless, due to the high magnetism of Drake, the general lack of any precision control, and the straight linearity of it all.

But it's Uncharted. I've always bought the games to simply awe at the spectacle on display. They justify the Sony hardware every time. Naughty Dog got some real credit with me due to TLoU - that game affected me as a person.

But every time I play an Uncharted game, I quickly remember why this series just isn't for me.

With that said, I really don't see what's wrong with the article. It's asking a good question, in my opinion. And like I said before, I see their point.

Interesting.... The first 4 chapters maybe a bit long and slow, but it introduces the new versus old Drake in a very good way. I think it did even better than The Last of Us with Joel and Ellie.

Kind of dumb to compare since the relationship in The Last of Us is the main focus during the entire game. But the slow and frequent stops during the traversal to relate to Sully, Sam and Ellena puts a big smile in my face.

LiK

I'm only at Madagascar, but so far, U4 is boring me to tears. TLoU is one of the best games I've ever played, and is similar in conceit. But the conceit works better for that game due to the atmosphere and premise being way more stimulating.

U4, needs more combat, IMO. This has been said all over the place, and I'm repeating it here. It's obviously been improved, I really wish there was more of it.

Even in areas that seem "open", like Madagascar, there's plenty of invisible walls and one track to your destination. There's not much to "explore".

The "platforming" sections are truly tensionless, due to the high magnetism of Drake, the general lack of any precision control, and the straight linearity of it all.

But it's Uncharted. I've always bought the games to simply awe at the spectacle on display. They justify the Sony hardware every time. Naughty Dog got some real credit with me due to TLoU - that game affected me as a person.

But every time I play an Uncharted game, I quickly remember why this series just isn't for me.

keep going, I think you will be quite pleased.

Neiteio

Funny enough, I'm kind of thankful for the light combat, since I plan to show this game to a non-gamer friend and I don't want to bore them to tears. (Combat is fun when you're playing, but if you're a non-gamer who struggles to control these sort of games and prefers to watch, it's best to stick to story beats.) I'll probably play on the easiest setting and maybe even use lock-on combat just for the sake of storytelling speed when doing that run.

Gren

Can you imagine if Halo or Doom spent approximately 40 per cent of their running time trying to tell a story or mixing up their core mechanics with lightweight platforming or puzzle elements? Chances are it wouldn't be good.

I know UC is a hot-topic right now, but this article seems a bit forced. It gushingly compares it to Rapture & Stanley Parable, while seemingly ignoring titles that like Half-Life & Bioshock that preceded it (as many have pointed out). Exposition through lulls in combat is hardly a new thing, & I wouldn't even say UC popularized it.

Tansut

I think the article missteps from the beginning by going on the assumption that the Uncharted series is some sort of progenitor to the 'walking simulator' genre. I'm going to use that term again a few times in this post, because it's easy short hand, but for the record I find it to be reductive and passive-aggressively mean-spirited to the games it describes.

But that said, with this mindset the author has I feel like we could argue that MGS series is the granddaddy of walking simulators, considering how much of those games are non-interactive cutscenes. What would have been a more interesting take would have been looking at how walking simulators have come into their own as a genre, in part inspired by the cinematic storytelling of the Uncharted series, and then how Uncharted, and to a larger extent Naughty Dog, has itself taken inspiration from what it had a hand in creating.

As it stands I feel like the article throws out an argument without giving me much of a reason to change my mind, regardless of how I felt going in.

Kind of dumb to compare since the relationship in The Last of Us is the main focus during the entire game. But the slow and frequent stops during the traversal to relate to Sully, Sam and Ellena puts a big smile in my face.

You don't see a similar parallel between how U4 is designed/the significance of Sam and Nate's relationship and TLoU?

keep going, I think you will be quite pleased.

I definitely will finish it.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
You can actually change and modify the ropeswing jumps in terms of both height and distance, depending on how much you descend or ascend the rope before you start swinging (though most of the time you don't need to), as well as how much you actually swing or gain momentum for the longer jumps etc. It's actually a requirement to get some off the beaten track treasures here and there, that are a little tricker to get to. Likewise with the rockpick, where you actually place it in a wall or area determines how far you can actually reach out to, though granted it's quite liberal in it's implementation. Then there's the vehicles, which talking about the jeep specifically, allows for some skill with your control efficiency, how you manoeuvre, use the terrain, your handbrake to do drifts etc. That said, I do see where you're coming from and appreciate your points.
Ir's pretty much meaningless though because it's borderline impossible to fail these sequences. A longer jump just makes you get through the platforming slightly faster. The player is really in very little danger during these segments which can drag on especially in the opening segment of the game. The different paths aren't very different either, (imagine different puzzles based on where the player went). This type of game most definitely works better for TLOU than UC4 specifically, because like TLOU it has very similar pacing issues that don't get excused by the type of story they're trying to tell. The game never really maintains momentum because of the quiet moments always coming directly after a large set piece or a time where it's feeling more like previous games.

Jay Seven

Banned

I'm with you on that. I've put the game away after five chapters because it's just so boring, and the melee combat in this series continues to be just the worst, but they insist on making players use it. I liked UC1, loved 2 until the end, and was bored with 3. I think I just may be done with this style of game. Also didn't help that I came to 4 after playing a week of Overwatch.

wouwie

I quite agree with the article but i don't see it as a positive evolution. I'm a big Uncharted fan (loved both 1&2 so much) but i'm not enjoying UC4 all that much so far (i'm on chapter 10). I'm surprised at how little game there actually has been. Take away the splendid, dazzling presentation and packaging and you're left with what feels like quite an empty box inside: a bit of light traversal without challenge, a few very easy puzzles and a bit of exploration in a beautiful but empty world, a lot of story and cutscenes and a few bigger shootouts in areas that were probably made for multiplayer first and foremost. It surprises me that UC4 was done by the same people who made UC2 so great.

This type of game most definitely works better for TLOU than UC4 specifically, because like TLOU it has very similar pacing issues that don't get excused by the type of story they're trying to tell. The game never really maintains momentum because of the quiet moments always coming directly after a large set piece or a time where it's feeling more like previous games.

Yup. TLoU's open-ended premise and universe is a constant stimulation for the player, so assuming they're sold on it, they're never bored.

Who/what is Joel?

Who is Tess?

What are the Fireflies?

Ellie?

How did this police state develop?

How did these circumstances even come about? And how did things get this oppressive?

Those are just the obvious questions starting out.

The art in the environment feeds this stimulation. You feel as though every nook and cranny in the game is trying to fill in blanks for you - but they only tease the bigger picture. It's just more stimulation.

In contrast, moving through the environments in Uncharted 4:

"Well, this looks pretty. Where do I mash 'X'?"

I think the problem is with the preconceived idea of what a "game" is, some people believes that all games should achieve certain gameplay/design criteria to be called a game. Some people don't mind this, or are interested in several things that might not fit in the traditional game conventions.

Uncharted is a linear story based "game" even if you have more open enviroments this time around, those who love this new iteration aren't wondering if the game gives you situations in which requires skill to advance, in fact most are complaining that in some set pieces they actually die and don't look awesome as intended.

Maybe he should have used cinematic, something life is strange is a walking simulator. And its a damn good one
Life Is Strange is an adventure game. Walking simulator would be something more limited where you're mostly walking and looking at objects with no failure state nor many more gameplay verbs (choices, puzzles).

TissueBox

Emerson's got the jist of it. TLOU's story is complimented by roaming the environment, walking and talking in it, taking the time to feel the characters' fixations and trappings through the screen; in Uncharted, the plot is an epic larger-than-life backdrop with lighthearted story elements sprinkled in between action-adventure tropes and shootouts. By trying to emulate the former and placing focus on the otherwise thin story (one that doesn't always have the weight to support the same emotion-fueled gameplay TLOU did) the latter feels like putting a pizza in a hamburger -- which, for some, is marvelous, no doubt. But it can be hard to digest at first, and for others, not quite practical.

You don't see a similar parallel between how U4 is designed/the significance of Sam and Nate's relationship and TLoU?

A little bit of topic....

You can say there are similar things, but WAY MORE toned down.

That's why I think it's not good to compare both of them.

Even in terms of Game Design, I was constantly looking at Ellie in The Last of Us (and it's game over if Ellie dies). I don't care what Sam is doing at the gunfight, he always manage to save himself.

Emerson's got the jist of it. TLOU's story is complimented by roaming the environment, walking and talking in it, taking the time to feel the characters' fixations and trappings through the screen; in Uncharted, the plot is an epic larger-than-life backdrop with lighthearted story elements sprinkled in between action-adventure tropes and shootouts. By trying to emulate the former and placing focus on the otherwise thin story (one that doesn't always have the weight to support the same emotion-fueled gameplay TLOU did) the latter feels like putting a pizza in a hamburger -- which, for some, is marvelous, no doubt. But it can be hard to digest at first, and for others, not quite practical.

So pushing forward to progress in TLOU is OK, but not in Uncharted 4? When you look around at the nature in Uncharted 4, it's not a similar sense of adventure than TLOU offers within it's dilapidated world?

Nah I don't buy that. Uncharted 4 is just as much about the character relationships as TLOU is, and about taking in the scenery and adventure.

Sure it's not Gritty(tm) story where in the typical post-zombie-apocalypse world, but that doesn't mean it isn't about Drake, Elena, Sully, and Sam's relationships or the fantastical adventure landscape you get to explore.

So many free passes to every game, yet Uncharted is the successful poster-boy all the connoisseurs have a problem with. Even TLOU getting free passes for the same stuff. Incroyable.

The funny thing is TLOU got the same flak when it released. And now fast forward a few years, everything about TLOU is super duper and U4 is horrible at everything.

Lanf

I think the problem is with the preconceived idea of what a "game" is, some people believes that all games should achieve certain gameplay/design criteria to be called a game. Some people don't mind this, or are interested in several things that might not fit in the traditional game conventions.

Agree with this.

I think that gameplay has always been the weakest point of Uncharted. The shooting is serviceable, the hand to hand is atrocious, the climbing becomes real tedious, real quick.

But the rest, oh man, the rest more than makes up for this. The characters, the presentation, the art direction, the unbelievable great animation work, the attention to details,... just the overall feel of the game is incredible.
The entire section in Nate and Elena's house in the beginning is so real, so believable and authentic. Not seen or experienced that much before in a game.

Yes, the entire thing has a very "Hollywood movie" feeling, but they do it better than most Hollywood movie studios.

So call it a "walking simulator" or "interactive movie/story" or whatever you want, I love it. And I can understand not everyone does, and that is fine, but for me these are just as much "games" as the Spelunky's, Street Fighters or Dark Souls' of this world.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Even in terms of Game Design, I was constantly looking at Ellie in The Last of Us (and it's game over if Ellie dies). I don't care what Sam is doing at the gunfight, he always manage to save himself.
...? When you don't control Ellie she can't die...?
Maybe there are times when she gets grabbed and you need to help but I don't remember, they were probably few and far between.

Curufinwe

The shooting is far better than serviceable, and has been since U2. You don't get a huge multiplayer community around a shooter with mediocre shooting.

I agree that U4 needed more combat. There are several parts where it just drags on without any combat whatsoever. Although I enjoyed these moments for the experience, some may not like it at all. I felt for TLOU it was fitting because, it made sense sort of.

So pushing forward to progress in TLOU is OK, but not in Uncharted 4? When you look around at the nature in Uncharted 4, it's not a similar sense of adventure than TLOU offers within it's dilapidated world?

Nah I don't buy that. Uncharted 4 is just as much about the character relationships as TLOU is, and about taking in the scenery and adventure.

Sure it's not Gritty(tm) story where in the typical post-zombie-apocalypse world, but that doesn't mean it isn't about Drake, Elena, Sully, and Sam's relationships or the fantastical adventure landscape you get to explore.

So many free passes to every game, yet Uncharted is the successful poster-boy all the connoisseurs have a problem with. Even TLOU getting free passes for the same stuff. Incroyable.

The funny thing is TLOU got the same flak when it released. And now fast forward a few years, everything about TLOU is super duper and U4 is horrible at everything.

I have never played an uncharted game before this and said to myself "the reason I love this is the relationship between drake and sully!" No it's " HOLY SHIT I can't believe I just fought a helicopter while on an exploding train!!!! WOW!!!!!"

TLOU and Uncharted are different games, they should not be judged the same way. TLOU down time allows for inventory management and it's story is more dramatic. Uncharted by its very theme is an action movie simulator, it's an interactive Indiana jones movie and every excellent gameplay mechanic this series has revolves around the action, not the exploring, puzzles or platforming.

Plus I don't see other series getting a free pass. In general uncharted is viewed as one of the best franchises of its genre, with good reason. But when this game slows things down considerably it should be talked about. This is a slower paced game than any uncharted, then most any action games of its kind. I don't feel this is some nitpicky thing a few guys are commenting on, it's a clear shift in the uncharted game design.

gamerMan

I quite agree with the article but i don't see it as a positive evolution. I'm a big Uncharted fan (loved both 1&2 so much) but i'm not enjoying UC4 all that much so far (i'm on chapter 10). I'm surprised at how little game there actually has been. Take away the splendid, dazzling presentation and packaging and you're left with what feels like quite an empty box inside: a bit of light traversal without challenge, a few very easy puzzles and a bit of exploration in a beautiful but empty world, a lot of story and cutscenes and a few bigger shootouts in areas that were probably made for multiplayer first and foremost. It surprises me that UC4 was done by the same people who made UC2 so great.

Yah, I feel the same way. The game can't stand on its own without the story and graphics. The puzzles, the repetitive crate puzzles, and traversal mechanics are automatic. There is really no skill required as these elements on serve to push the story forward.

In the first scene, from a story perspective it's so cool what happens. The idea on paper and from a story perspective is wonderful, but the execution is pretty terrible from a gameplay perspective. It doesn't even feel like you are riding on waves. It just feels like a cutscene with scripted events. It auto completes itself. You aren't doing a whole lot that mechanically challenges you aside from shooting. You are just watching series of scripted unfold as you are tunneled through them.

Maybe the idea of games is changing, but saying you got through Uncharted 4 is like saying you watched Transformers. It shifting from skill based to movie based.

If you somehow separate the gameplay from the story, there wouldn't be much left to Uncharted. There are a ton of games out there where you could strip out the story and it would still be able to stand on its own.

Still, it's okay that this kind of game exists, because there is nobody else in the industry making games where the primary objective is to entertain through storytelling. And until another developer comes up with a way to make the gameplay as good as the story, Naughty Dog will be in a league of their own.

Curufinwe

Yah, I feel the same way. The game can't stand on its own without the story and graphics. The puzzles, the repetitive crate puzzles, and traversal mechanics are automatic. There is really no skill required as these elements on serve to push the story forward.

In the first scene, from a story perspective it's so cool what happens. The idea on paper and from a story perspective is wonderful, but the execution is pretty terrible from a gameplay perspective. It doesn't even feel like you are riding on waves. It just feels like a cutscene with scripted events. It auto completes itself. You aren't doing a whole lot that mechanically challenges you aside from shooting. You are just watching series of scripted unfold as you are tunneled through them.

Maybe the idea of games is changing, but saying you got through Uncharted 4 is like saying you watched Transformers

Most ridiculous analogy of the thread so far.

dreamfall

Quite frankly, the less combat the better. Every encounter feels like it was well thought-out, instead of waves of enemies approaching like in UC3. The quieter moments of simple exploration with vehicles also lends a sense of real adventure to the whole thing - trying to find little treasures may seem like a waste of time and pointless, but for someone trying to appreciate the craftsmanship of their game - it's a treat.

I think learning to appreciate cinematic linear adventures that are especially narrative driven are a make or break for a lot of gamers. In scripted sequences that flow in and out of combat, I was really impressed with the transitions and how natural it all feels. So you're watching cutscenes, and moving around blocks or giving boosts - it's all very "gamey" but so what? I think the combat mechanics are some of the strongest in the genre, so if you want more of that, there's always multiplayer. Giving a team the creative freedom to tell the story they'd like, and to let them design based on slower moments of exploration and limited encounters - it feels better this way. I'd say that for me, set pieces in UC3 were pretty amazing with a lack of a cohesive narrative and combat scenario after combat scenario started to feel tiresome for me. I like this way better - the puzzles are still simple but good, the pacing is a lot slower but far more majestic, and the combat mechanics are the best they've ever been in the series. The appreciation for stealth as a real method to clear out enemies is awesome, and it's fun to play hide and seek (like in TLOU) to get past combat encounters.

I love it. In fact, I wish all the games in the series had this direction. Each encounter felt well-timed and utilizing vertical takedowns, being creative with stealth, running and gunning - it's all very good. Definitely my favorite game in the entire franchise.

I think the combat mechanics are some of the strongest in the genre, so if you want more of that, there's always multiplayer.
I really dislike how much I see this said, especially with current gen games where its been a lot more common because of the multiplayer focus to everything.

Multiplayer is no substitute for quality single player content. They're fundamentally difference experiences.

In UC4 single player you'll fight a combination of enemy types and behaviors across different stealth and alerted states. In multiplayer everybody is frantically running and jumping around like chickens with their heads cut off or otherwise camping around corners with their shotguns or popping their mystical supers and upgrading gear with their match currency. There's also lag issues, matchmaking issues, balance issues (parties steamrolling solo players) and exploits in the competitive online realm.

I want more UC4 combat, but competitive isn't at all what I'm looking for when I say so. I feel like a dinosaur even pointing this out ;p

Agree with this.

I think that gameplay has always been the weakest point of Uncharted. The shooting is serviceable, the hand to hand is atrocious, the climbing becomes real tedious, real quick.

But the rest, oh man, the rest more than makes up for this. The characters, the presentation, the art direction, the unbelievable great animation work, the attention to details,... just the overall feel of the game is incredible.
The entire section in Nate and Elena's house in the beginning is so real, so believable and authentic. Not seen or experienced that much before in a game.

Yes, the entire thing has a very "Hollywood movie" feeling, but they do it better than most Hollywood movie studios.

So call it a "walking simulator" or "interactive movie/story" or whatever you want, I love it. And I can understand not everyone does, and that is fine, but for me these are just as much "games" as the Spelunky's, Street Fighters or Dark Souls' of this world.

Truth in the sense that it's a pretty barebones combat system and doesn't require any skill at all other than avoid bullets while attempting to doing it, but the animations and the feel of accomplishment is what some of us look for, you get to say "men! that was a really good punch", I mean, In 4 some of my favourites moments are the Nadine fights and you have little involment there but it looks so awesome and you feel like a participant on such amazing moment. I understand that many people don't want that, they want complexity, challenge. I, personally, can fix my "gamestate" depending of what I'm going or want to play.

I thought we had decided on light adventure instead. Eurogamer what the hell. Stick with the times. Jeez.

Is that like the "Easy Listening" of shooters?

In regards to the article, I am pretty sure this type of game existed well before Uncharted. Hell, MGS on the PS1 had as much dialogue as it had gameplay. Maybe not the exploration but definitely downtime.

Please give me more games that fit the UC4 and TLOU mold!

Tutomos

I don't know but the article seems to celebrate it instead of complain about it. Video game is an audio and visual medium and ND is better than anybody on how to make a game look and sound great. A lot of are entertained by this package ND has assembled and I agree it's something worth celebrating.

dreamfall

I really dislike how much I see this said, especially with current gen games where its been a lot more common because of the multiplayer focus to everything.

Multiplayer is no substitute for quality single player content. They're fundamentally difference experiences.

In UC4 single player you'll fight a combination of enemy types and behaviors across different stealth and alerted states. In multiplayer everybody is frantically running and jumping around like chickens with their heads cut off or otherwise camping around corners with their shotguns or popping their mystical supers and upgrading gear with their match currency. There's also lag issues, matchmaking issues, balance issues (parties steamrolling solo players) and exploits in the competitive online realm.

I want more UC4 combat, but competitive isn't at all what I'm looking for when I say so. I feel like a dinosaur even pointing this out ;p

I guess I didn't intend to say "hey, if you like combat go to multiplayer" even if it came across simply as that. I just think that for the type of adventure they created this go-around, it felt better having combat scenarios spread out because they made each section feel unique. And I never felt like the combat focus on certain set pieces dragged - I felt like they paced it really well. But I didn't want more of it, I liked the openness of levels with vehicles and tightly knit shootouts in between.

And I agree, that multiplayer is a very strong component but plays very differently. I'm wondering if a two player co-op/horde mode will be in the works to satiate that element of wanting more tactical firefights against AI (rather than frantic PvP).

gamerMan

Uh huh. Keep telling yourself that.

The narrative drives the gameplay. That means that everything in Uncharted 4 from the all the game design, puzzles, traversal, art, animation, and everything they have created is done for only one purpose. The story. There is no separation between the gameplay and story. The story is the gameplay and the gameplay is the story. Naughty Dog calls this game design "The Active Cinematic Experience."

If you are interested in the game design process at Naughty Dog, they gave a talk at GDC on how they develop games and how every decision revolves around the story. http://www.gdcvault.com/play/1012348/Creating-the-Active-Cinematic-Experience

eaeAYAB.jpg

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Certainly feels like it so far. I shut it off yesterday because it bored me to death so I hope it picks up because if not dear god...

It does start fairly slowly. I just hit chapter 10 and while there's definitely less action than past entries in the series (or at least it feels that way) I'm ok with it.

This feels like Drake's Fortune to me. Which is my favourite one.

Holy FUCK those first couple of pages. What a graveyard.

And I agree, that multiplayer is a very strong component but plays very differently. I'm wondering if a two player co-op/horde mode will be in the works to satiate that element of wanting more tactical firefights against AI (rather than frantic PvP).
I think it probably would for me if it ends up being as interesting as Uncharted 2's adventure mode and siege scenarios anyway. And to tell you the truth, most of the battle spaces in UC4 seem like they would work well in co-op, though they'd be over pretty quickly. But whatever that co-op is going to be in UC4 its a long ways off.

And I didn't mean to jump on your case about the multiplayer thing, its just something I see a lot with current gen that irks me.

Top Bottom