• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: Lego City could blow the franchise wide open/save the WiiU [Dont port beg]

Pociask

Not really..to be honest I'd have thought they would have announced a bundle by now if they really intended to give it even a minimal push.

A bit of online advertising on gaming sites won't do anything (online ads are usually so intrusive that they actively put me off buying the product as the first thing the do is annoy you). If they want sales they need to blanket advertise on kids channels, a few ads in primetime..and have demo's up in all Walmarts and places that sell LEGO.

Yeah, this. Lego is an expanded audience title. You don't advertise to that market by putting up web page ads on niche web sites.

One of the main reasons I bought a WiiU is to have the capability to play games Off TV. If the devs have constructed the game around the Gamepad in such a way that stops the ability to run the game Off TV then I'm not going to buy it. No matter how good it is.

As far as I'm concerned. Nintendo should have mandated that all games could be played using OFF TV.

no they shouldn't, off tv is great feature but its a bonus, i'm more than happy if a dev wants to use the pad for a different purpose

Taker666

One of the main reasons I bought a WiiU is to have the capability to play games Off TV. If the devs have constructed the game around the Gamepad in such a way that stops the ability to run the game Off TV then I'm not going to buy it. No matter how good it is.

As far as I'm concerned. Nintendo should have mandated that all games could be played using OFF TV.

Well if they mandated all games have off tv play then they might as well have released the Wii U with the old remote for $200 and sold the gamepad as an add-on for $150 ...as there's no point in bundling it if it's not being used for dual screen gameplay.

NotLiquid

See I would have understood this opinion a lot more if Lego City Undercover wasn't an exclusive.

That's kind of like saying you wouldn't buy a damn good book if it wasn't offered as a paperback.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

You are picking up MH 3G HD right?

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I'm pretty sure Zeruda HD will use the controller as the game's 'hook' in a way that makes off-screen play not possible. Something like a magical mirror that reveals an alternate world or history.

So this is already in port begging mode?? typical on Nintendo threads where a potentially decent third party game pops up...

Actually, I think this conversation started (by me) more as GDDR5 begging than port begging.

deviljho

From Jeff Gerstmann's tumblr:

Anonymous asked:
Have you had a positive experience with your Wii U yet? Most of the Bombers seem very cold on it, but I've been enjoying Mario U and ZombiU, plus look forward to checking out Lego City Undercover and NfS:MW in a couple weeks.

Jeff: I’m really interested in seeing Lego City Undercover, though I haven’t heard the greatest things about it from folks who have played it.

"As a responsible journalist, I'll withhold my opinion until I actually check out that game, but since lots of people are interested in my thoughts, I'll plant seeds that this game might not be so great based on random anecdotes."

There is more value to a Wii U than just that, but certainly you have the right to purchase the games that you find value in.

Effect

Not really..to be honest I'd have thought they would have announced a bundle by now if they really intended to give it even a minimal push.

A bit of online advertising on gaming sites won't do anything (online ads are usually so intrusive that they actively put me off buying the product as the first thing the do is annoy you). If they want sales they need to blanket advertise on kids channels, a few ads in primetime..and have demo's up in all Walmarts and places that sell LEGO.

Sadly they aren't even doing that. Haven't see a single web ad for the game.

Sadly so far noone has asked what Nintendo's involvement in the game was.

I am surprised this hasn't been asked at all.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Goddammit, Nintendo! How hard is it to advertise your fucking products! Where are the ads for this game? Seriously, where?

schuelma

Do ads always come out more than 2 weeks before a game releases?

sammex

I don't think that every Wii U game needs off-screen play. I wish more games used the second screen like Lego and ZombiU do.

Me too - ZombiU's use of the gamepad is excellent. Having the radar beeping for zombies in the area added to the tension. I want more of it, off-tv is fine if they can't think of a decent way to use the extra screen. The Cave is the only game that did nothing with the pad and didn't support off-tv.

Lego City uses it for a scanner, map and for communications apparently.

deviljho

No off screen play, like ZombiU. Game looks pretty good. Nice lighting/shadows, and motion blur. Framerate seemed 30fps, some dips. Atrocious loading times, but it was a dev build so *shrug*.

EC, can you tell us how many different press sites/people were at your event? Did you speak to them about their opinion of the game? Thanks.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
What games have you enjoyed on your Wii U?

So far. Nintendoland. It's okay. Not brilliant. Not as good as WiiU Sports.

I also got ZombiU but it didn't impress me. Maybe I need to give it another go.

Sonic Transformed is pretty good though. Really enjoying that.

schuelma

So far. Nintendoland. It's okay. Not brilliant. Not as good as WiiU Sports.

I also got ZombiU but it didn't impress me. Maybe I need to give it another go.

Sonic Transformed is pretty good though. Really enjoying that.

I am struggling to figure out why you spent more than 300$ for a system you don't seem to like.

roddur

I am struggling to figure out why you spent more than 300$ for a system you don't seem to like.

it's a defense mechanism. this way the wii lovers wont recognise them as trolls/haters when they don't have anything good to talk about about the console.

sorry

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

I know. Well I was really looking forward to Rayman and the Aliens game. Sadly the Rayman game got pushed back and the Aliens game is apparently rubbish.

I'm hoping that Nintendo will manage to release their new 3D Mario and Mariokart this year and then I'll love the system. There just doesn't appear to be much on before then that appeals to me.

I know. Well I was really looking forward to Rayman and the Aliens game. Sadly the Rayman game got pushed back and the Aliens game is apparently rubbish.

I'm hoping that Nintendo will manage to release their new 3D Mario and Mariokart this year and then I'll love the system. There just doesn't appear to be much on before then that appeals to me.

....I don't think Rayman will have off-tv play..

Dragon

Banned
"As a responsible journalist, I'll withhold my opinion until I actually check out that game, but since lots of people are interested in my thoughts, I'll plant seeds that this game might not be so great based on random anecdotes."

Have you played the game? Seems like you're doing the same thing yourself.

Rayman has very little chance of using Off TV Play. So does 3D Mario if they use the pad for innovative gameplay. This propably won't like Pikmin 3 where the gamepad was basically a map...

Since Nintendo wants to sell the main feature of the console to the audience: Asymetric gameplay.

Amir0x

Banned
So this is already in port begging mode?? typical on Nintendo threads where a potentially decent third party game pops up...

No, it's not, and if you read the conversation and the context you'll know it's not. Please put effort into things if you're going to make accusations

Crom

From Jeff Gerstmann's tumblr:

Anonymous asked:
Have you had a positive experience with your Wii U yet? Most of the Bombers seem very cold on it, but I've been enjoying Mario U and ZombiU, plus look forward to checking out Lego City Undercover and NfS:MW in a couple weeks.

Jeff: I’m really interested in seeing Lego City Undercover, though I haven’t heard the greatest things about it from folks who have played it.

Why would anyone listen to that tub?

This is a guy that rated State of Emergency ( a terrible game) higher than Majora's Mask.

He gave State of Emergency somewhere between a 8.8 to a 9.0 when he worked for Gamespot.

What a joke.

deviljho

That's a shame. I know the demo didn't but I was hoping that the final game would allow it.

Don't worry. There will be content that depends on the Gamepad and content that doesn't. By September, when it is ready for all platforms, you will get a chance to better judge.

JDSN

Banned
Why would anyone listen to that tub?

This is a guy that rated State of Emergency ( a terrible game) higher than Majora's Mask.

He gave State of Emergency somewhere between a 8.8 to a 9.0 when he worked for Gamespot.

What a joke.

State of Emergency is awesome.

Amir0x

Banned
It is fun but I wouldn't call it a 9.0 fun. Maybe 7.5 fun.

Although who cares if we agree or not? It's one guys opinion and just because it's on a particular persuasion that you disagree with doesn't mean you invalidate all his positions - the important question is whether he bothered to do well justifying why he loved State of Emergency that much or whatever. How much more he rated it than Majora's Mask is pretty immaterial.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
EC, can you tell us how many different press sites/people were at your event? Did you speak to them about their opinion of the game? Thanks.

Including us, four or five. But we were one of many scheduled meetings. They'd been doing them the week earlier, and had done a few more in the days before us.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Based on TT's other Lego games, and guesstimating LCU will be on the high side (like Lego Batman 2) with all the time and care they've put into it, I think the biggest stopper for a lot of people may be a relatively relaxed, slow pace.

That's what the Lego games are. They have to be tuned so that both true kids (not just teenagers) and adults can play the games at both their levels and have fun. So LCU is probably not going to be a heart stopping game, and probably will not "blow you away" in the way that a lot of big boy games are designed explicitly to achieve.

Having said that, the strength of TT's better Lego games is in the granularity of the game world, where exploring and interacting with the environment is made fun. There's always stuff to break, studs (resources) to hoover up, secrets to find, and gadgets built into the game world to operate. The Lego games are not very difficult, they're not overly intense, but if you can get into them they keep your attention engaged. Because you're always doing something and usually with a lot of variety.

For this game, I'm hoping what helps carry it is the theme, characters, humor, and such. Since what we've seen in those areas is very promising. It looks like TT has been very much freed up to go all-out with their imagination by not having to work with a license. There may also be some concern about a large open world maintaining the packed nature of previous Lego games, so that it doesn't get boring between major points of interest. The fact that there's a lot going on around the buildings and on rooftops in the city is promising.

Essentially, before anyone gets unrealistic expectations, this isn't going to be GTAV. It has the potential to be a "soul food" game however. Pretty much just a celebration of the mechanics and activities at the center of playing video games.

BlackJace

Is kotaku's review out already?

XYpy.gif

Top Bottom