• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer: NX = portable w/ carts, detachable controllers, Tegra, TV Out, no BC, Sept

Status
Not open for further replies.
This isn't about Nintendo. The Wii U was a system almost exclusively supported by Nintendo games and we saw how that worked out for them. Heck, my Wii U library is over 90% Nintendo published titles. (Only Shovel Knight and a couple others are my 3rd party representation). Nintendo cannot support a console without significant reliance on 3rd parties. I would say to be successful, Nintendo needs at least 50% of all software sales to come from 3rd parties, otherwise they aren't doing a good enough job getting 3rd parties to their system. Its going to be yet another uphill climb if this system is still a generation behind XBONE and PS4

3rd parties aren't coming back until Nintendo gets a successful platform. It's a bit of the chicken and egg paradox, but regardless there's little downside to third parties simply taking a wait and see approach. Without third parties themselves, it's easy for them to bet against a Nintendo platform being successful.

StereoVsn

But they would be matching power with their competitors. Their competitors are mobile gaming & the last gen of portable systems. These specs blow the last gen of portable systems away & compete just fine with mobile games.

Nintendo doesn't view Sony & Microsoft as competitors and hasn't for quite some time now.
Last gen of portables is pretty much done/dead in the West. Phone SoCs will overtake this in 2017. I understand why Nontendo is heading this way and hopefully things work out, but I have doubts.

Galava

We know Nintendo will be using gyros in the last 2 gen portables.

We know this screen is going to be higher resolution, most likely 1080p at minimum.

Even if it's a gimmick like PSVR or Google Cardboard I don't think Nintendo would pass up the opportunity. It's also the only logical explanation in my mind for an otherwise poor design choice of removable controllers.

I can do VR on a last gen Samsung or iPhone. The technology is here. Maybe not at the VIVE or Oculus level we all want but neither was AR on the 3DS.

When I mean tech on the VR thing I mean it because it needs to be cheap enough for kids to buy it (parents to say yes to buy it).

About the resolution, 1080p is too much, it would make graphics worse and the battery life be complete shit. 720 is fine, 1080p when docked and pulged to TV.

ZeroX03

Banned
The portable NX is not going to be phone sized. Think more like a tablet.

People aren't going to carry around a tablet that size for games, this is the 3DS successor as well. This is Japan's bread and butter. No way in hell is it using an 8inch display like the Shield Tablet. Bigger than 3DS XL, sure, but even the Gamepad was only 6.2inch and that also used a battery comparable to a smartphone (that you could upgrade to phablet levels).

So basically...

We get to play handheld games on our TV, we get a shitload of Mobile games and of course the exclusives from Nintendo we all know and love. Unless that patent for a device that improves the console, it will be a big no for the third party titles basically?

So, very similar to Wii U, in that it will be interesting for only their own games again because i can Mobile games on my phone anyway.

CSX

If this is the solution of having HD Fire Emblem, take all of my fucking money Nintendo !!!

Oh man cartidges and screens and docking stations....please dont be expensive as hell

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Anyone else think this sets them up to potentially refresh the hardware continuously with later revisions of the Tegra board?

orochi91

I'm loving the hardware concept so far, but no BC?

I wanted to play XBX and other games, but does that mean I'll have to buy a Wii U?

Neiteio

If all I want is new F-Zero and Metroid Prime games, I am not sure if this is good news.
I think it's good news.

Since every Nintendo game is on one system, it eliminates redundancies. Instead of making a Mario Kart 9 and a Mario Kart 10, the Mario Kart team can make Mario Kart 9... and then do something else, like a new F-Zero.

Heck, Miyamoto might look at NX and think, "We haven't had a 3D F-Zero on a portable," and deem that good enough reason to make a new one.

Seik

Banned
Well everyone seem happy.

Most Nintendo fans think the idea is neat and are positive on the matter.

Most haters think Nintendo are leaving the console market, while they didn't really grasped the concept of an hybrid, whatever suits them.

In my case, if this is really what's going to happen, I'm fucking glad that they're fusing the two markets together because we'll get an insane amount of first party softwares since they don't have to develop for two different hardware. The potential is big, let's just see how the execution will go.

Branduil

Exactly, I don't think two tiny nunchuk sized controllers is the right conclusion to jump to with this rumor.

Two full-sized controllers attached to a handheld would be the dumbest thing ever. I think Tom is just bad at explaining because the picture he showed completely contradicts his explanation.

Tegra X1 = 256 Cuda Cores.

My GTX 770 = 1536 Cuda Cores, it is already showing its age and not going to compete with Neo/Scorpio.

Good luck. Even with all the architecture gains Kepler vs Pascal, it is going to be Wii U level hardware at best.

Nintendo still can't let the cartridge thing go all these years later. Ha, almost amusing how stuck in the past they are. Well, best of luck to them I guess, but it is hilarious they were worried about people copying this.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
The portable NX is not going to be phone sized. Think more like a tablet.

That's going to be extremely expensive though at that size.

Anything over $300 is practically out of the question for this system. How are they supposed to sell a hybrid handheld/console at that price or under, even at a loss, if they go with a 7-9" tablet sized form factor?

Comparable tablets alone cost well over $400 with far worse internals and they easily go up to well over $600.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
So basically...

We get to play handheld games on our TV, we get a shitload of Mobile games and of course the exclusives from Nintendo we all know and love. Unless that patent for a device that improves the console, it will be a big no for the third party titles basically?

So, very similar to Wii U, in that it will be interesting for only their own games again because i can Mobile games on my phone anyway.

So basically we have 5% of the needed information to form an educated opinion.

Look at it this way: Nintendo will be the only dedicated handheld on the market.

There are two consoles by other companies for big console like experiences, and Nintendo is really going to be the only option in the industry for portable experiences that pack a decent graphical punch and traditional non-touchscreen controls.

Basically, they are the bastion of handheld gaming going forward.

And they only had to sacrifice their tradionatl console gaming legacy to do it

If all I want is new F-Zero and Metroid Prime games, I am not sure if this is good news.

How would you know? What kind of announcement would be good news if all you wanted was F-Zero or Metroid Prime? The NX coming with the NX Zapper or the console resembling the shape of captain falcon's helmet?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
they better go after the indies as 3rd party with this

JohnTinker

Limbaugh Parrot
If they're targeting the kids market, this thing has probably got to be fairly durable. Remarkable too, considering what's likely inside of it.

Galava

If this is the solution of having HD Fire Emblem, take all of my fucking money Nintendo !!!

Oh man cartidges and screens and docking stations....please dont be expensive as hell

Expect launch packs with 1 game for $300. Standalone console with dock $270. Maybe a no-dock version for $230ish. No less than 200, no more than 300.

Sucks that their is no backwards compatibility but emulating Wii U games shouldn't be impossible. I just hope Nintendo follows what Microsoft doing with 360 titles.

Yes. I think this is right with a large battery and a full 1080p screen. This is not going to be 3DS size.

I'm not so sure. They could still be wrong, but that IHS report from a few months back was right about the handheld. They've said it's an LCD (not OLED) between 3" and 5". I think Nintendo want this to be a true portable. Also, the pixel density should be nicer, I'd assume.

they better go after the indies as 3rd party with this

It seems safe to say that any developer who supported the 3DS - and indies on the Wii U - would be down with this.

Anyone else think this sets them up to potentially refresh the hardware continuously with later revisions of the Tegra board?

I definitely see Nintendo's future being iterative. i.e. From now on, the Nintendo machines will just be a line of updated NXes, like the Apple model.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Not sure I understand the detachable controllers. Are you supposed to dock the console and detach the controllers to play? But then it says there is a dock which made me think it'll stream like wiiU. That would then allow neat functionality like touchscreen in your hand while playing on TV

Or maybe they detach so you can just play it like a tablet/smartphone?

Curious how it all connects together. Having one I it solves the cross buy question at least. And the relatively limited performance means likely one set of assets on cart so no need to download HD textures etc for the home version

Guevara

A tablet just seems so big, even if it's Mini sized.

Is this really what people want?

iPadMinigaming.png

Nintendo still can't let the cartridge thing go all these years later. Ha, almost amusing how stuck in the past they are. Well, best of luck to them I guess, but it is hilarious they were worried about people copying this.

Have you even given it a moment's consideration as to why Nintendo would opt for cartridges for a console like this?

Go ahead. Think about it for a moment, lol.

While you're at it, tell me what's wrong with cartridges in this day and age, since you seem to think that cartridges are as limited as they've ever been.

Nintendo might be stuck in the past but this is hardly an example of such.

cchum

What i dont get is why Iwata outright denied this many times

There's a marketing effect where essentially your last product's sales will tank when the new one is announced. There is even a term (that I can't remember right now). Considering this is in both their segments, I think that it makes sense.

Kid gets the NX, they now have a portable game system, and when they go over to their friend's house, they can easily plug it into the TV and play multiplayer games with their friend without any additional expenses. That's something you don't get with a tablet or a traditional portable system.

It seems safe to say that any developer who supported the 3DS - and indies on the Wii U - would be down with this.

As well as an indie on the Vita.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom