• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europa Universalis IV MP Community Thread of fanboi needing to speaka da English

Who will be the first backstabbing victim?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Poland AAR
Right at the tail end of our technical difficulties, Crimea, being supported by the Ottomans, tried to declare independence. Luckily, I had Austria on my side, and I used Warmia as a bargaining chip for Brandenburg to join on my side as well.

Although it looked rather grim at first, Austria only was fighting in my war, so their enormous stacks helped quite a bit. Mazovia was incorporated into my country during this war as well, and I inherited a 9-stack of troops that I put to good use.

Eventually, the tide of the war had turned more into my favor, but the Ottomans were too dangerous to keep in the war. I decided to accept their demands of releasing Riga's vassalage, and some money. Well worth it to get the Kebab out of the war; I can take Riga later.

This left a weakened Crimea as the enemy. I took their Ruthenian provinces to increase my size, gave a few provinces to Chernigov (my most loyal vassal), and cancelled their treaty with the Ottomans. This, together with losing Riga and annexing Mazovia, heavily reduced the liberty desire of all my other vassals. I also started incorporating Silesia.

Just as the war ended, a big stack of Lollard Heretics popped up. My luck is uncanny. But Poland can into space.

Also, upon gazing on the newly updated maps, I see that Fitz is bordering me... again. Oh Fitz, what are you up to this time.

Gains: Mazovia is part of my country, the other vassals are nowhere near as disloyal as they used to be; liberty desire should be gone by the time I annex Silesia.
Losses: Warmia to Brandenburg, Riga's vassalage.

Fitz

Yeah, just one of the minors in my backyard. :p

Your backyard! There's that imperialist attitude again!
:p

To be fair, it seemed like Crimea was on the verge of breaking free for a time. I was planning to integrate my new vassal there and use the Genoese core to westernise, but Milan wiped them out at home, meaning they'll forever be too far behind in tech for me to abuse use.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
AAR: Was ready to board the hype train for the Nintendo Direct, so wasnt able to concentrate much (a train that crashed hard I might add), but managed to integrate those lucky south slavs so they can get even more peace and protection. I then saw that Hungary shared a long border with the terrifying ottomans, so I decided to take over the defense of Europa from them, which they agreed to - after some persuasion of course. I then turned my protective eyes on the remnants of the Byzantium Empire, which I was in the middle of negotiating with when we ended. Fun session!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
There will be no Christianity to unite after I, the Songhain Caliph, am finished with Europe.

All will pay obeisance to the Star and Crescent.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
What do merchants know of war? Your ships will not save you when the armies of the faithful are marching on your gates.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Are the Aztecs completely unplayable? They were my favorite part of the game so far.

Basically. After I passed the second reform, I got DoW'd by all 5 other Nahuatl States at once. Not a coalition, but because Aztec are right in the middle, they separate the others allowing them to ally more easily. It wasn't that much of an issue, because I was big enough to lose the war and move on, but they wouldn't accept any peace offers or suggestions, and took a really long time to occupy me, so I went bankrupt because my income was very slightly below my interest repayments from the last war. They only took 3 provinces that I'd have given them at like, - 20%, but the bankruptcy is too large a setback. - 100% morale for 10 years means you can't go to war for 10 years and lose any time someone declares on you. It's frustrating because I'd rather have just conceded immediately, unlike the comeback war I was too big to vassalize by now so I didn't care.

That would take me up to ~1518 with only two reforms, which means finishing around 1543ish. That's simply too late. You have to have all five reforms by the time the AI finds you, or you've lost, they DoW as soon as they discover you and can 100% annex regardless of your size because you're primitive and you can't win. Normally the deadline is like 1525ish on average in my experience, and that was going to be a challenge after my start anyway.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
R.I.P Sextecs

And GG Uzzy! That was a brutal order to give, but it made too much sense, given the direction I wanted my game to go in (which I had decided on even before you picked Pasai), and the tough spot you were already in.

Kabouter

R.I.P Sextecs

And GG Uzzy! That was a brutal order to give, but it made too much sense, given the direction I wanted my game to go in (which I had decided on even before you picked Pasai), and the tough spot you were already in.

Things looking extremely good for you now then with all that delicious free base tax to grab in Indonesia/Philippines/Siberia. That's how I got a ton of my base tax last game :D

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
Basically. After I passed the second reform, I got DoW'd by all 5 other Nahuatl States at once. Not a coalition, but because Aztec are right in the middle, they separate the others allowing them to ally more easily. It wasn't that much of an issue, because I was big enough to lose the war and move on, but they wouldn't accept any peace offers or suggestions, and took a really long time to occupy me, so I went bankrupt because my income was very slightly below my interest repayments from the last war. They only took 3 provinces that I'd have given them at like, - 20%, but the bankruptcy is too large a setback. - 100% morale for 10 years means you can't go to war for 10 years and lose any time someone declares on you. It's frustrating because I'd rather have just conceded immediately, unlike the comeback war I was too big to vassalize by now so I didn't care.

That would take me up to ~1518 with only two reforms, which means finishing around 1543ish. That's simply too late. You have to have all five reforms by the time the AI finds you, or you've lost, they DoW as soon as they discover you and can 100% annex regardless of your size because you're primitive and you can't win. Normally the deadline is like 1525ish on average in my experience, and that was going to be a challenge after my start anyway.
That's probably true. You'd already want to be westernized by that point to catch up with the other players in a reasonable span of time. As for the AI, the only major threat left is probably England (I have seen them colonize Mexico fairly often, but I have no idea how they act since 1.10).

fanboi

Banned
giphy.gif

Uzzy

So, inspired a bit by Crab's efforts with the Aztecs, I decided to give them a whirl. My first game went terribly, as Castille found me in the 1500s and started conquering my neighbours really quickly. They left me till last, but the moment they DOWd it was over. Shame. I only got to the third reform sadly.

My second game, however.. well, that went fantastically. I planned out my expansion so that I'd be bordering as many countries as possible, allowing me to rotate who I vassalised, which let me storm through the religious reforms by the 1500s. It was actually rather enjoyable, the endless aggression. After hitting all five reforms and having only OPMs around me, I gobbled the rest of them up and waited for the Spanish to arrive. Which they did, eventually. But luckily for me, they landed and said 'Bonjour'.

Never been happier to see the French! I quickly reformed my religion, got a ton of tech instantly, and set about Westernising while I launched my colonial efforts. 80 years of peace (apart from smacking some Native American minors to rob them of all their money), and this is the situation.

200 years to get the Sunset Invasion achievement. I wonder if I can do it.

Kabouter

Should've made a full post-WW2 map with custom nations :p
(And just using console commands to get France, Netherlands, Spain, Sweden etc. To exist/fit their current borders :

CloudWolf

Hey guys, I won't be able to join tonight because I have a date.

I predict that my Portuguese Empire will crumble without my leadership.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Frankly, if she/he's not the sort of lady/gentlemen to fully indulge your Europa Universalis 4 fetish, I'm not sure you should go through with it.

I'm probably going to have to drop out of Poland as well.
When telling me about the Polish situation, Kab failed to mention that their Legitimacy and Prestige were utterly shot. I was able to recover my prestige, but had to install a pretender because the Civil War disaster broke out due to the low Legitimacy - so my prestige broke down again. Trying to fight the rebels also completely depleted my manpower.

Once the pretender had taken the throne, I decided to start westernizing, because my country was at +3 stability and I had no unrest... but I did not know that when a pretender takes the throne in Poland, you'll get Sejm events that pull you down even further, one of which gives me a diplomatic rep -5, so I can't even ally anyone (I barely managed to ally Sweden). Add that to the shitty Westernization events and its rebels... yeah. Oh yeah, and Internal Conflicts also broke out to top it off. 2 disasters within one session.

So here I am, at -2 stability, -90 prestige and really shitty legitimacy (below 50), Chernigov is starting to get unruly, my country is drowning in 4 or 5 20-stacks of rebels - and not even all of them have fired - and all constantly roll 7-9 while I'm rolling 0-2.

And to top it off, I'm getting boxed in by Brandenburg, Venice, Timurids and soon Uzbek. I don't think it's worth continuing anymore.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
AAR: France 1514

Having two wars still going since last session the first part of today's session was mostly about waiting for diplo points. Finally I got only one province from Burgundy leaving them open for Provence greediness. Then I turned my attention to the Spanish brothers in the South. They obviously needed to be saved from themselves and the nasty Portuguese and they accepted the superior French logic and rule. Meanwhile the stupid Granada got again involved in a war that was not theirs (Morocco-Portugal) losing thus a province to Portugal. As this kind of stupidity must be avoided for a third time, I decided to save them from their rulers too and because Morocco didn't want a white peace I decided to help our African friends and allies with some Moroccan lands. Now I'm waiting for a heir or a succession war against Provence. Lol.

Provinces conquered: Charolais, Granada, Almeria
Vassal gained: Castile
Vassal integrated: Auvergne

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
AAR: Japan

Finished of the War with Pasai/Brunei, and then chaos broke out in Ming. Spent the rest of the session helping out with Chinese rebels, while not being quite able to deal with my own, which means the Korean provinces broke lose. Oh well, should be easy enough to take back after stabilizing Ming again.

Apart from that, still colonizing Alaska and in Indonesia.

mkenyon

Banned
Haly is the Red Blob, right?

Damn.

I'm probably going to have to drop out of Poland as well.
When telling me about the Polish situation, Kab failed to mention that their Legitimacy and Prestige were utterly shot. I was able to recover my prestige, but had to install a pretender because the Civil War disaster broke out due to the low Legitimacy - so my prestige broke down again. Trying to fight the rebels also completely depleted my manpower.

Once the pretender had taken the throne, I decided to start westernizing, because my country was at +3 stability and I had no unrest... but I did not know that when a pretender takes the throne in Poland, you'll get Sejm events that pull you down even further, one of which gives me a diplomatic rep -5, so I can't even ally anyone (I barely managed to ally Sweden). Add that to the shitty Westernization events and its rebels... yeah. Oh yeah, and Internal Conflicts also broke out to top it off. 2 disasters within one session.

So here I am, at -2 stability, -90 prestige and really shitty legitimacy (below 50), Chernigov is starting to get unruly, my country is drowning in 4 or 5 20-stacks of rebels - and not even all of them have fired - and all constantly roll 7-9 while I'm rolling 0-2.

And to top it off, I'm getting boxed in by Brandenburg, Venice, Timurids and soon Uzbek. I don't think it's worth continuing anymore.
I know that feel. I'd probably start a new game if it were SP at that point.

But hey, you never know what sort of fun you can take part in with the other players. Maybe start offering X thing in the future for Y assistance now?

Plus, who knows, luck can turn around quick in this game.

:/

I can't offer anything for help with my rebs, that's the issue. I'd have to make concessions of land I own right now, and I'm already one of the smaller countries atm (don't let the map fool you, either, almost all of my land is garbage), plus I've been boxed in (except for in the direction of Muscovy), so I can't even make concessions by telling people I won't expand into X place.

Plus, that is obviously no guarantee that these players are not going to go over me regardless of what agreements we come to. In the original Mamluks position, Fitz promised me to not join Toma in a war against me. He joined Toma in a war against me.

Then after last session, I talked with Morfeo (Venice) and asked him to leave Kaffa to me, but he took it himself, and established himself into the Caucasus, which is bordering me, now right next to me on 2 fronts. I also talked to Brandenburg, and told him I'd like to take the Livonians + Riga. Today, he conquered the Livonians + Riga, and rivaled me. And mgoblue (Uzbek) has started bordering me and taking land from Lithuania, although we've talked about wanting to take out Muscovy together.

All of these actions lead me to believe that I cannot trust anybody. Icing on the cake is that I'm getting mocked, whatever I say or do.

And all just because I said that one of my potential personal goals was to unify Islam. ~_~

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
:/

I can't offer anything for help with my rebs, that's the issue. I'd have to make concessions of land I own right now, and I'm already one of the smaller countries atm (don't let the map fool you, either, almost all of my land is garbage), plus I've been boxed in (except for in the direction of Muscovy), so I can't even make concessions by telling people I won't expand into X place.

Plus, that is obviously no guarantee that these players are not going to go over me regardless of what agreements we come to. In the original Mamluks position, Fitz promised me to not join Toma in a war against me. He joined Toma in a war against me.

Then after last session, I talked with Morfeo (Venice) and asked him to leave Kaffa to me, but he took it himself, and established himself into the Caucasus, which is bordering me, now right next to me on 2 fronts. I also talked to Brandenburg, and told him I'd like to take the Livonians + Riga. Today, he conquered the Livonians + Riga, and rivaled me. And mgoblue (Uzbek) has started bordering me and taking land from Lithuania, although we've talked about wanting to take out Muscovy together.

All of these actions lead me to believe that I cannot trust anybody. Icing on the cake is that I'm getting mocked, whatever I say or do.

And all just because I said that one of my potential personal goals was to unify Islam. ~_~
To be fair, if I didn't declare war on Lithuania when I did, Muscovy would have taken those provinces instead (just as they would have taken provinces from Kazan and the Golden Horde if I didn't block them). I think that, instead of vassalizing Crimea and trying to westernize, you should have focused on Lithuania, Polotsk, and Kiev. Crimea wasn't worth the trouble.

To be fair, if I didn't declare war on Lithuania when I did, Muscovy would have taken those provinces instead (just as they would have taken provinces from Kazan and the Golden Horde if I didn't block them). I think that, instead of vassalizing Crimea and trying to westernize, you should have focused on Lithuania, Polotsk, and Kiev. Crimea wasn't worth the trouble.

Crimea was 4 provinces small (the 3 Ruthenian ones that I took in the independence war and one other one) and a quick conquest when I vassalized them first. It wasn't until Morfeo blew up Genoa that Crimea grew exponentially, which was when the independence war started.
But yes, I agree. I wouldn't have started westernizing either if I had known about the dumb Sejm events (I never played Poland before).

If it had been an option, I would've just taken the land from Crimea and released them from my vassalage.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Crimea was 4 provinces small (the 3 Ruthenian ones that I took in the independence war and one other one) and a quick conquest when I vassalized them first. It wasn't until Morfeo blew up Genoa that Crimea grew exponentially, which was when the independence war started.
But yes, I agree. I wouldn't have started westernizing either if I had known about the dumb Sejm events (I never played Poland before).

If it had been an option, I would've just taken the land from Crimea and released them from my vassalage.

Peaceful destruction at its finest right there! Was in a small conflict with Genoa over some trade - managed to cripple mighty Poland as a consequence. The Chuck Norris of Peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom