• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Europa Universalis IV MP Community Thread of fanboi needing to speaka da English

Who will be the first backstabbing victim?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I have a Wii U... at my parents', on the other side of the country. ;_;

So close, and yet so far.

Uzzy

Back to EU4 a moment, Wiz had this to say over the increased coring costs.

To expound on my reply from yesterday, coring costs have gone up somewhere around 40% compared to 1.11 (more for dipannexation) because we wanted to create some more interesting dynamics where conquering everything around you was not necessarily always the best option.

It is still both possible and rewarding to expand, particularly if you take the right ideas, put money into advisors and use a mix of conquest and diploannexing. As Milan, I was able to unify most of Italy (more than twice starting development of France) in under a century without any core cost reduction, and could easily have done so faster. Growth is slower but it's certainly not 'blobbing now pointless'.

With that said, you are of course free to disagree, but this was an intended change and we knew it would upset some people, so we're not reverting it just because of one angry thread on the forums.

The aim of creating more interesting dynamics where blobbing up isn't automatically the best option is a damn good one, and one I'm totally in favour of. Now they just have to make those alternatives to endlessly expanding interesting. Development is a great step in the right direction, and the new vassal interactions are also pretty cool. Hopefully we'll see diplomacy get a big overhaul soon too.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Development needs to be much cheaper, tho. If you're min-maxing, you will never increase ADM or DIP development except in very particular circumstances (DIP development in gold producing provinces). Conquest is strictly better.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I once had one of their plates of pickled appetizers for lunch.

While it didn't taste bad or anything, I have little interest in ever trying Swedish cuisine outside of Ikea again.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately?) I'm not you or Morfeo.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
This doesn't have to do with the new expansion, but playing it now I remembered something that intrigues me. Why are the forced broken alliances valid longer than the truces? Doesn't make any sense at all. Doesn't have any link to the reality. If anything, re-making the alliance would mean breaking the truce, so it should have exactly the same deadline.

Steeven

The One Night in Paris achevement was never easier to achieve. I just claimed Paris, allied everyone bordering France, and declared war.

CloudWolf

I finally know what I did wrong for my Turn the Table! achievement. You cannot form another nation, so my tries failed because I formed the USA and Brazil >_>

I recently finished my first full Common Sense game (Savoy -> Italy) and it was pretty fun, Italy leaving the HRE around 1500 is a gamechanger.

Some real crazy shit happened by the way. Poland-Lithuania made good use of that decision to instantly westernize off Danzig and formed a super-Commonwealth, who instantly got random PU's with Russia (formed by Novgorod) and France. Lucky for me the Commonwealth loved me, so I abused that alliance the best I could.

And then, after the Commonwealth unfortunately lost the PU's over Russia and France (or not, they were in the process of integrating France, and I'm pretty sure they would've turned hostile if they finished), they randomly got in a PU under me. I was like: "What the fuck just happened?" But I'm not going to complain about getting a PU with the third strongest country for free. And it turned the newly independent France also loved me, so together we absolutely wrecked the rest of Europe.

Post Common Sense France needs some help (also, I didn't really need their land).

But I love the taste of baguette and some creamy white brie.

W7SyQu9.png

mkenyon

Banned
I'm not sure exactly what's going on, but out of ~10 starts on Common Sense, I've seen Bohemia become Emperor and inherit Burgundy every single time. Anyone else?

Uzzy

I'm not sure exactly what's going on, but out of ~10 starts on Common Sense, I've seen Bohemia become Emperor and inherit Burgundy every single time. Anyone else?

I've only played one game (as Venice, surprisingly) since Common Sense, but in mine a virtually bankrupt and impotent Brandenburg became Emperor after the Protestants won the religious war, so the Empire became an irrelevance really. Austria's just gone and snapped most of it up.

No Burgundian Inheritance either, though they're not around anymore. Liege still exists, as does Holland. Though Holland's in North America.

CloudWolf

That achievement is crazy difficult to get.

As for the Burgundian Inheritance, I've actually never seen it fire since Common Sense. Though if it did, it wouldn't change much since Burgundy always seems to end up in a stupid war where they lose all their junior partners.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
So Kab, I have also been trying BBB and I cannot get it for the life of me. Driving me crazy now.

ZZMitch

Have number of ideas taken in a certain group always effected tech cost for that group? Just noticed in my current game that "Ideas" are making my Admin tech cost 14% less (7 ideas taken), Diplomatic 2% less (1 idea taken) and Mil 12% less (6 ideas taken)

Kabouter

Have number of ideas taken in a certain group always effected tech cost for that group? Just noticed in my current game that "Ideas" are making my Admin tech cost 14% less (7 ideas taken), Diplomatic 2% less (1 idea taken) and Mil 12% less (6 ideas taken)

Not always, but definitely for quite a long while now.

I give up now completely. I am like 95% certain it is actually not possible.

Yeah, I've concluded the same.

Uzzy

For Big Blue Blob, I can see two possible ways of doing it. You become the Emperor and start eating up Western Europe, forcing the Burgundian Inheritance. Or you hop over to Ireland, beat on England and Scotland somewhat, then into Norway, then Novgorod/Moscow/Horde Lands. Nice cheap lands to core there.

Kabouter

For Big Blue Blob, I can see two possible ways of doing it. You become the Emperor and start eating up Western Europe, forcing the Burgundian Inheritance. Or you hop over to Ireland, beat on England and Scotland somewhat, then into Norway, then Novgorod/Moscow/Horde Lands. Nice cheap lands to core there.

The problem isn't cheap coring necessarily, it's AE. Also, you'd be amazed at how much you need to conquer to get to 100 provinces.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
You start with 20, so we're talking averaging 1.4 provinces a year for 56 years. The AE is crippling. To put it another way, you have to conquer four France-worths of provinces before 1500.

Uzzy

The problem isn't cheap coring necessarily, it's AE. Also, you'd be amazed at how much you need to conquer to get to 100 provinces.

Well, expanding into areas such as Russia and the Balkans would help keep AE down, I imagine. Just keep rotating from Western Europe, Spain, Britain, Scandinavia and Russia. Could even go into the Balkans too somehow.

Kabouter

Well, expanding into areas such as Russia and the Balkans would help keep AE down, I imagine. Just keep rotating from Western Europe, Spain, Britain, Scandinavia and Russia. Could even go into the Balkans too somehow.

Seriously, try it. I thought it was doable too before I tried it.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Remember you get a flat AE penalty situated on your capital when declaring a No CB war. Operating multiple theatres therefore is unlikely to pay itself off if you do it that way. Hopping via e.g. Fab Claims is pretty hard, you have to fuck with a series of big boys to get anywhere useful.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
That guy got the BI in 1451, tho. You can't strategize that.

Steeven

So, I played some SP games, because you know, achevements.

Game 1: I started with Tuscany. Never really bothered with the Italian states until now. It was a fun game, but way too easy. After I formed Italy I stopped playing.

Game 2: I miserably failed while playing Hungary. I was going for the achevement 'Take that Von Habsburgs', or something like that. Anyway, you start with a regency in Hungary. So I was claiming everything that smelled Habsburg, until it was time to declare war. Just my luck that Austria inherited Burgundy. Exit game? Yes please. That was a wasted 30 minutes.

Game 3: Started my first game with Hesse. Took me at least 60 years to make my economy decent. Meanwhile, German princes thought it would be funny to vote Hesse for emperor. I got dragged in way too many wars, resulting in structural manpower issues. The greatest moment was stripping Burgundy of all its vassals, that felt great. After several decades I lost the imperial crown though. At this moment, I am a decent power, but the religious wars are devasting Europe. Austria seriously got raped, Savoy is on a rampage in this game, backed by France. Also, Great Britain is the worst leader of the Protestants ever. I will probably quit after I achieve the 50 mercenaries achevement.

Edit - It really appeared impossible to reform the HRE. Not a single issue was reformed. I doubt it is even possible. In my other games, no single reform was pushed either.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
I finally know what I did wrong for my Turn the Table! achievement. You cannot form another nation, so my tries failed because I formed the USA and Brazil >_>

I recently finished my first full Common Sense game (Savoy -> Italy) and it was pretty fun, Italy leaving the HRE around 1500 is a gamechanger.

Some real crazy shit happened by the way. Poland-Lithuania made good use of that decision to instantly westernize off Danzig and formed a super-Commonwealth, who instantly got random PU's with Russia (formed by Novgorod) and France. Lucky for me the Commonwealth loved me, so I abused that alliance the best I could.

And then, after the Commonwealth unfortunately lost the PU's over Russia and France (or not, they were in the process of integrating France, and I'm pretty sure they would've turned hostile if they finished), they randomly got in a PU under me. I was like: "What the fuck just happened?" But I'm not going to complain about getting a PU with the third strongest country for free. And it turned the newly independent France also loved me, so together we absolutely wrecked the rest of Europe.
The best PU I've ever gotten in EU4 was over two province Mainz, and I had to fight my ally Spain for it (though in EU3 I once got a PU with Austria).

By the way, I remember Wiz once mentioning that, in the latest expansion, the AI would know whether or not you were helping in a war. Is that in the game somewhere? I haven't seen it.

Kabouter

I've gotten way better PU's in EU4. Best I got was playing Mughals (formed from Timurids), back when Muslims could still get PU's, I was able to force one with the Ottoman Empire, and later with a very large Mali as well lol. Back then no diplo point cost for annexing them either, phew.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom