• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

European Parliament pushes for reimposition of visas for US

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sölf

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...24ccab94435_story.html?utm_term=.8322cc50859c

BRUSSELS — The European Parliament is pushing for the bloc's executive to temporarily reimpose visa requirements for U.S. citizens visiting the European Union in a standoff over Washington's failure to grant visa-free travel for nationals of five EU countries.

The legislature on Thursday urged the European Commission to act within two months. The Commission was legally bound to propose by last April that visas be reintroduced for U.S. citizens for 12 months but the 28-nation bloc's member countries preferred to take no action.

U.S. citizens can travel to all EU countries without visas but the U.S. hasn't granted visa-free travel to citizens of Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Poland and Romania. The Commission has cautioned that suspending the visa waiver for Americans would also hurt trade, tourism and the European economy.

And another source:
http://www.europarl.europa.eu/news/...sion-to-press-for-full-us-eu-visa-reciprocity

According to the visa reciprocity mechanism, if a third country does not lift its visa requirements within 24 months of being notified of non-reciprocity, the EU Commission must adopt a delegated act - to which both Parliament and the Council may object - suspending the visa waiver for its nationals for 12 months.

I just heard this in a german radio news report. Apparently, the US should have done something about this until April 2016. They didn't do anything. Then the European Comission (I think) should have done something about that... which they also didn't. As a result, we gis this situation now.

Ask for my visa if old.

Jasup

Wow, it's like no one cares about this news. It potentially only affects a bit over 12 million tourists traveling from the US to Europe annually plus all the business travellers and the like.

Sölf

Wow, it's like no one cares about this news. It potentially only affects a bit over 12 million tourists traveling from the US to Europe annually plus all the business travellers and the like.

Yeah, this is definitly not good news. But it's a fail on both ends, the US with the visa requirement for the few countries and then the EUs lack of response to that. Then again, I am not sure what their response would have been other than the current one.

Giolon

Real Americans don't go and don't want to go to Europe. Their ancestors left that place for a reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom