• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

European Parliament votes to end visa-free travel for Americans

Status
Not open for further replies.

nitewulf

Damn it!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...ricans-european-parliament-vote-a7609406.html

Mod power abuse: It's not a done thing yet. From the EP's press release:

According to the visa reciprocity mechanism, if a third country does not lift its visa requirements within 24 months of being notified of non-reciprocity, the EU Commission must adopt a delegated act - to which both Parliament and the Council may object - suspending the visa waiver for its nationals for 12 months.

Feels like west (or at least the post WW1 allied west) is falling apart bit by bit. How long had the previous reciprocity gone back?

Setmeni

What does this mean for me? I go to Rome in two months!

Nothing really, each individual country has to ratify it separately which could take years depending on the country. So far they've just voted to start the process, also if we remove the travel restrictions to several EU countries they'll drop it like they did with Canada.

No, you were supposed to go to Rome. Can I interest you in Toledo, Ohio, instead?

Please don't make me go to Ohio

Nothing really, each individual country has to ratify it separately which could take years depending on the country. So far they've just voted to start the process, also if we remove the travel restrictions to several EU countries they'll drop it like they did with Canada.

whew ok so breathing room for now

Better check with the italian embassy/consulate and request a visa

wot no

butzopower

proud of his butz
My friend is visiting from SF to U.K. Sunday night? We are all going to Amsterdam next week (we are all Americans). Does this take effect immediately?

nitewulf

for a lot of these countries with huge tourist industries, this doesn't make much sense, does it?

It does, since the US makes EU citizens pay for a security scheme, its only fair these countries also earn money by mandating on arrival visas or making you get visas earlier.

Chichikov

Freedom fries to make a comeback!
Along with freedom waffles and freedom omelets, you'll have so much freedom you're going to get tired of all that freedom!

Had to be done. If the US adds visa free access to the remaining EU members then this should go away.

I doubt that would happen. Can you really see The Donald going on TV to say "The EU basically threatened us, so we decided to relax the Visa Waiver Program requirements for the countries of Poland, Bulgaria, Romania, Croatia and Cyprus in order to give them what they want"? That'd look pretty weak.

Mimosa97

As a french dude, I don't mind having to ask for a visa to go to the US. We already get treated like shit at the border and it's only one country anyways. No big deal.
I hope every EU country starts asking american citizens for visas until the US get their shit together and starts hiring human beings as border agents and not heartless robots who treat you like a criminal just because you want to spend your hard earned money in their country as a tourist. We'll lose a lot of money from american tourists but it shouldn't even be an argument. No country should accept that their citizens be treated so badly by an ally. We need to grow some balls as a continent and stop bending over.

Keep your Daniel Bryan.

VgJ9w0L.jpg

asdad123

Wait I'm confused. I have dual citizenship, Polish and English, and was going there in May. I was going with my girlfriend, who is an American Citizen. Does this mean she needs something else other than her US passport?

sturmdogg

There's a simple solution to this: make California a visa free state anyone can visit, like South Korea's Jeju Island. California has almost everything tourists want to go to anyway. Make the rest of the US restricted like it is now.

This is misleading, didn't they only vote for it? It hasn't gone through. And each individual country would have to agree to these changes, right?

As a European passport holder living in America as an LPR, I think this is terrible.

The EU should have taken the moral high ground here instead of stooping to Trump's level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom