• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

European Parliament votes to end visa-free travel for Americans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kas

Fuck.

I was hopefully going to Italy and Albania soon. Hopefully this doesn't affect that at all

Maximus.

Feels like west (or at least the post WW1 allied west) is falling apart bit by bit. How long had the previous reciprocity gone back?

This is what happens when you stagnate and don't innovate. Government officials generally just looking out for themselves and working hard to not progress the nation. Now the most the world is looking at America and thinking wtf.

As I said in the other thread, to be expected. The EU needs all the unity and looking out for its members it can get right now.

xk0sm0sx

Welcome to Trade 101 America
Eve7fB8.png

Why do I have to pay huge import taxes on purchases via ebay from the US (I was buying from the UK). Case in point $1700USD Graphics card with $400 import charge?!?!?

There's 0 or 3% tariff on electronics. What You are paying is 20% or so VAT tax on the goods bought outside of EU so you should thank Your local politicians for that.

I don't fully understand this but would a consequence of this would be that out of a mirror reciprocity all Europe countries will require a visa?

Either way i could be wrong I don't think this happen as tourism is probably more important to Europe than the inverse (esp for countries where the tourism industry plays a very important role like France and Italy )

phaonaut

Why are these five countries excluded?

Also its fine if you institute visa, but EU member nations aren't consistent across the board so you can't be angry at America if countries are considered on an individual basis.

Joni

Also its fine if you institute visa, but EU member nations aren't consistent across the board so you can't be angry at America if countries are considered on an individual basis.
The deal was based on the USA treating the EU as one and vice versa. Countries can't be considered on individual basis because it is not a country responsibility.

Koren

i'm not sure that the US wants Georgian tourist dollars like Italy wants American ones ..
Technically, USA want dollars from everyone... Last time I went to the USA, I had to pay, and I'm from the western-most part of EU. Granted, not a visa, but still authorization with fees.

I was wondering whether it's the same for US citizens coming in EU?

eot

Banned

I believe people from these 5 countries have been overstaying their visas in the US to a disproportionate amount.

As a french dude, I don't mind having to ask for a visa to go to the US. We already get treated like shit at the border and it's only one country anyways. No big deal.
I hope every EU country starts asking american citizens for visas until the US get their shit together and starts hiring human beings as border agents and not heartless robots who treat you like a criminal just because you want to spend your hard earned money in their country as a tourist. We'll lose a lot of money from american tourists but it shouldn't even be an argument. No country should accept that their citizens be treated so badly by an ally. We need to grow some balls as a continent and stop bending over.
They treat Americans the same incase you didn't know

Which it seems you don't. They aren't actually being rude to you just cause your french but they do it to see that you are french. Just ignore it like me or whatever you want. Just hate when I'm feeling sick and they keep going.

tonka

I believe people from these 5 countries have been overstaying their visas in the US to a disproportionate amount.

Imagine for a moment that if the process to obtain a visa were easier, there would be less of a problem with this.
The reason people stay for so long is because they're afraid they'll never get back in, even if they followed the procedure to the letter and left the US well in advance of their visa expiry and applied again through the embassy in their own country.

I'm pretty lucky right now in that I can get like a ninety day esta for what is it, 14 dollars and change, and I can apply and pay online and then I scan my passport before I leave Dublin and then I'm legally in the US.
I'm not gonna say I'd be happy with extra hassle, but this whole Europe thing is more important to me than that.

Joni

Technically, USA want dollars from everyone... Last time I went to the USA, I had to pay, and I'm from the western-most part of EU. Granted, not a visa, but still authorization with fees.

I was wondering whether it's the same for US citizens coming in EU?

I believe that at the moment people simply have to show a valid passport, but Europe wants an ESTA-like system in the wake of the terrorist attacks. This would have a similar fee as ESTA.

Gallbaro

Banned
Really? I hear far worse about American security checks than about EU security checks. There are several articles about worrying incidents every few weeks. Especially in the last months.
Lol, customs and border patrol are assholes regardless of nationality.
I feel like a criminal coming home.

sangreal

The deal was based on the USA treating the EU as one and vice versa. Countries can't be considered on individual basis because it is not a country responsibility.

What deal? The US doesn't have a visa reciprocity deal with the EU. The reciprocity mechanism in question here is entirely an internal EU rule. That USA citizens don't need visas to visit these countries is again due to the internal EU decision to remove borders between the member states, most of which had their own recipricol agreements with the US. Due to obvious practical reasons the EU had to decide in 2001 how to deal with that and the decision was made (by the EU alone) to exempt a number of countries and force reciprocity later. The US also has their own internal mechanism which is in conflict with the EU one and that is the issue. It is against the current US law to add these countries to the VWP due to their refusal rate over 3%. That the EU wants to use their leverage by coming together to change the situation is all good and well but its not because the US is violating some deal. Neither is more right than the other.

milanbaros

Member?
Lol, customs and border patrol are assholes regardless of nationality.
I feel like a criminal coming home.

Nah, American border agents are by far the most hostile I have ever come across. Unless you are referring to US border agents in your post?

Do they give them a stuck up and entitled course or something? They talk to you like shit just because you want to visit the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom