• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

European Super League (Football/Soccer)

Alright

Banned
It would be more green than the actual Champions League, because there are less teams, therefore less matches.

Also, you will not have to travel to Russia, Ukraine, Israel, Turkey and so many other far distant places.
its extra journeys that wouldn't take place if this extra league never existed

Banjo64

cumsessed
its extra journeys that wouldn't take place if this extra league never existed
It’s not going to cause extra journeys because these teams all compete in Europe at the moment anyway. This will replace the Champion’s League and will be split in to two mini leagues of 10 teams. So City would have to play 9 away games minimum but I’m assuming at least 2 would be in England as there’s 6 English clubs - so 7 away trips.

It's kinda funny that Sky and the Premier League are complaining about greed when the Premier League itself was founded to break the top teams away from the lower league ones in order to take advantage of the money that Sky was offering.

I do ultimately agree though. I'm not a supporter of the idea. And I'm a fan of a club (Manchester United) who would absolutely benefit from this.

I expect this is a move by the big clubs to get UEFA to agree to shift the balance of power more in their favour and dangle this as a threat if they refuse.
Man Utd would benefit from it but not the fans. Seeing Utd face the same teams year in year out in a European cup would be a joke. Not to mention, Utd would never win the league a single time with such tough competitions.

This is far from open fair sport, but I'm not settled with people defending FIFA and UEFA also claiming this is detrimental to the sport.

If I recall correctly, they already proposed a champions league expansion which would factor in "historical coefficients" thereby granting two top teams automatic group stage clearance or so*. Someone correct me if I'm misunderstanding this though.

I think they want to make the already long group stage even longer, for the same reason the super league was created. Money.
All the sanctions they're pushing right now are more about keeping their big cash cows in their leagues than the "integrity of the game", in my opinion.

Money has ruled the game for a while and we all know it.

*Yeah, found it: https://www.eurosport.com/football/...e-finalised-this-month_sto8167411/story.shtml

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
Man Utd would benefit from it but not the fans. Seeing Utd face the same teams year in year out in a European cup would be a joke. Not to mention, Utd would never win the league a single time with such tough competitions.

The Super League it's not a league, you will have 8 teams playing quarters, semi-finals and a final at the end of it.

If anything, Manchester United will have actually more chances to win.

The Super League it's not a league, you will have 8 teams playing quarters, semi-finals and a final at the end of it.

If anything, Manchester United will have actually more chances to win.
Utd will probably be in the last 4 of the 12 teams so they won’t even get to the quarter finals.

DKehoe

They need to do something this drastic to counter this Super League insanity.

Its a massive power grab by the richest clubs and the powers that be either let it continue or they need to slap them down hard with actions as strong as the German model
The thing is even if this doesn’t go through, let’s say UEFA makes some concessions to appease them. All that’s going to happen is the greedy fucks that own these clubs are going to keep pushing until the Champions League basically resembles this. So like you say drastic actions need to be taken.

DonJorginho

Banned
I feel undecided on this, on one hand this is immoral, unethical and everything that Football should be against in the name of fair competition.

On the other hand, we can't act like UEFA are some saviour when their reformed UCL model was a pitiful, unethical mess and their recent treatment of large events as well as an inability on their part to take responsibility on several big occasions which has made a mockery of the game.

And as much as I respect Gary Neville and agree with what he says, I cannot take it seriously when he is speaking as a representative for Sky Sports who are obviously going to be against The Super League for one reason and one reason only, Money. I bet you any money that if this goes through these same Broadcasters who are "outraged" will be bending over backwards bidding for the rights to show these matches.

I am disappointed in my club Chelsea for signing onto this but I cannot say it was the wrong decision, at the end of the day Football is now a business and you cannot risk not signing on to this if it goes ahead, being left behind financially. As if these teams do leave all the prize money from the Premier League and Champions League will be reduced massively which means you could have a £500m squad on a £10m budget which is unfeasible.

I think PSG, Bayern, Porto and Dortmund potentially will join in soon, as they cannot afford to miss out, especially in the case of Bayern and PSG who have global superstars who's wages need paying.

This is a sad day for Football but let's hope this is just a scare tactic, however this seems a far too extreme series of actions to be taking if you were just intimidating UEFA and the FA.

For example Agnelli and Woodward wouldn't have left their high standing roles at UEFA if this didn't have a chance of going through, I guess we just have to watch this space.

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
The Guardian:
“The other thing that’s being stressed to me in private is that not all the 12 breakaway clubs are 100% behind going off on their own. While there are certainly several fanatical believers in a closed league, it is suggested that others have jumped expecting a better deal either through the ESL or via Uefa concessions. Some of the 12, it is even said, want to see it fail but feel they have to be on the bus. Admittedly that is coming from those opposed to the deal, but still.”

My money is on these clubs being the likes of Chelsea and Man City who were reportedly "backed into a corner to accept".

DonJorginho

Banned
Worth stating that this new UCL format is even worse than The Super League proposal btw, UEFA are using The Super League controversy to get this travesty signed off under the radar.

Roufianos

I'm sure the Capital Cunt Ed Woodward loves this. Gives Utd a guaranteed place in a CL equivalent meaning even less reason to invest in the squad.

The arrogance is pretty disgusting. Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea and Spurs aren't even getting CL football at the moment.

DonJorginho

Banned
FC Porto president about The Super League: "There were contacts but we did not pay much attention. We are in the Champions League and we hope to continue to be there for many years to come".

DKehoe

A lot of money (and therefore marquee players) will leave English football though which will have a repercussion in the kind of broadcast deals the EPL can negotiate. This is a dangerous slippery slope.
Why? Big clubs like Bayern, Real Madrid and Barcelona are run with fan ownership. Clubs like United would still generate huge amounts of money. They’d just be more focused on football and putting the money into that rather than the money going to a wealthy owner. The Glazers currently drain huge amounts of money out of the club.

Why? Big clubs like Bayern, Real Madrid and Barcelona are run with fan ownership. Clubs like United would still generate huge amounts of money. They’d just be more focused on football and putting the money into that rather than the money going to a wealthy owner. The Glazers currently drain huge amounts of money out of the club.

Bayern is the exception and has utterly dominated German football. It's the only club that's able to attract international stars as there just isn't a lot of money in German football.

As for Real and Barcelona, they have strong relationships with banks (and a shit ton of debt) and benefit from lopsided TV deals with La Liga.

thefool

A lot of money (and therefore marquee players) will leave English football though which will have a repercussion in the kind of broadcast deals the EPL can negotiate. This is a dangerous slippery slope.

Only thing dangerous here is a soft reaction to an attempted leverage buyout of european football by an american bank and a bunch of rich dudes.

The football ponzi can't keep up, everyone has accepted it for a while but corona just accelerated the process. The dirty dozen knows this too well, that's why they are trying to jump ship. Players earnings will never be an issue as unions will not want money to be concentrated in 200 players and there's a lot of dough to be distributed besides the premier league.

Yesterday a chance was given to take back a bit of football. Disallowing private ownerships majority would be a great first step.

acm2000

Bayern is the exception and has utterly dominated German football. It's the only club that's able to attract international stars as there just isn't a lot of money in German football.

As for Real and Barcelona, they have strong relationships with banks (and a shit ton of debt) and benefit from lopsided TV deals with La Liga.
dont forget the highly corrupt local government involvement with those spanish teams finances lol

DKehoe

But that’s not a reflection of the fan ownership system. If anything you’re more likely to attract players because the commercial side of things is in service of the football side rather than the other way around. The kind of thing fans want to see the club use it’s income for is attracting top level players which means offering high wages. So money would go towards that rather than dividends for the owners or only investing enough to qualify for the champions league rather than actually making a push to challenge for titles.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Who has the TV rights to broadcast these matches ?
Watch how now because of this the premiere super league teams are insanely richer compared to other their lower teams.

money talks. This is all a ploy to stop the England team winning the World Cup or something 😜😜😜

DonJorginho

Banned
Who has the TV rights to broadcast these matches ?
Watch how now because of this the premiere super league teams are insanely richer compared to other their lower teams.

money talks. This is all a ploy to stop the England team winning the World Cup or something 😜😜😜
At the moment DAZN but that might be for the US, international broadcasters yet to be announced.

Jon Neu

Banned

Barça and Madrid are the two teams who earn more money in the world, so it's kind of understandable their debts are bigger than the rest because they work at a different level. Only teams with petrodollars behind can compete, otherwise no team in the world would be not even close.

dont forget the highly corrupt local government involvement with those spanish teams finances lol

Did you just called Barcelona a spanish team?

giphy.gif

DonJorginho

Banned
Out of interest, why are people are against this?

I haven't been strongly swayed one way or another to be honest. Especially after the projected changes to the CL itself.
Allows a group of clubs European Football every year regardless of performances, a large amount of money being shared out amongst a small group of Europe's elite, it throws dirt on the domestic league systems and UEFA competitions, takes away the magic of European ties, it will reduce the revenues that the domestic leagues and UEFA can share out amongst participants and welcomes an American like system that some believe stifles competition.

I am 50/50 on it, but these are just some of the reasons the opposing figures bring up.

Jon Neu

Banned
By the way, seems Barça has to put the decision on the assembly for the members to decide. So there's a chance the members will vote against it.

Some voices already saying Laporta isn't 100% on board with the Super League but he is doing the best to deal with the situation.

Crazy times.

Last edited:

DKehoe

I haven't been strongly swayed one way or another to be honest. Especially after the projected changes to the CL itself.
It’s rewarding clubs based on how rich and popular they are rather than their actual ability. With the current champions league you need to earn your way into it. The clubs who have founded this are typically involved in it but they have to play well enough to earn that spot rather than it being guaranteed just because of who they are. If turns out how they hope it’ll drain away the money other European clubs can get. It’s them pulling up the ladder behind them to ensure they remain at the top of the sport.

thefool

Fundamentally, it massively aggravates the inequality between clubs, a product catered to overseas fans vs their own local communities.

The solution to football's problem is exactly the other way. A much stronger redistribution and stronger local leagues, something Uefa has miserably failed to do.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
By the way, seems Barça has to put the decision on the assembly for the members to decide. So there's a chance the members will vote against it.

Some voices already saying Laporta isn't 100% on board with the Super League but he is doing the best to deal with the situation.

Crazy times.

If this goes forward, Barça won't compete in the Spanish league anymore and its players won't play for the Spanish national team.

In the current political climate I can see where this discussion is going and given the makeup of the team members, it will likely pass.

cormack12

Gold Member
It’s rewarding clubs based on how rich and popular they are rather than their actual ability. With the current champions league you need to earn your way into it. The clubs who have founded this are typically involved in it but they have to play well enough to earn that spot rather than it being guaranteed just because of who they are. If turns out how they hope it’ll drain away the money other European clubs can get. It’s them pulling up the ladder behind them to ensure they remain at the top of the sport.

But isn't that the same as buying your way into it? i.e. City, Chelsea etc. As for the other clubs money talks, those with the most money get the qualifying places 99% of the time. I'd say only 03/04 gave us a surprise final in the competition at all. I see it as an alternative to the CL and it's new format. It would be interesting to see if the 5 cycled places is a delta of regular qualifiers versus anomalies in the CL coefficient qualifiers

kiiltz

And as much as I respect Gary Neville and agree with what he says, I cannot take it seriously when he is speaking as a representative for Sky Sports who are obviously going to be against The Super League for one reason and one reason only, Money. I bet you any money that if this goes through these same Broadcasters who are "outraged" will be bending over backwards bidding for the rights to show these matches.
Neville co-owns a club in League 2. He hates this as much as anyone.

A horrible money and power grab from the self proclaimed "elite"

I can't get behind an idea that is fundamentally opposed to what makes football exciting and great, who do these clubs think they are proclaiming themselves as the top tier of football, when clubs like Man U, Arsenal, AC and Spurs have been fairly irrelevant in the last decade or more?

Glamour ties become a lot less glamourous once they are they norm. Fuck the ESL.

Also, no thank you I don't want an americanised version of Football, that can kindly fuck right off too.

Last edited:
But that’s not a reflection of the fan ownership system. If anything you’re more likely to attract players because the commercial side of things is in service of the football side rather than the other way around. The kind of thing fans want to see the club use it’s income for is attracting top level players which means offering high wages. So money would go towards that rather than dividends for the owners or only investing enough to qualify for the champions league rather than actually making a push to challenge for titles.

You overstate how much dividends team owners pay themselves. The Glazers perhaps, but PSG, City and Juve shareholders haven't seen a dime (and would assume same for the likes of Chelsea), and if anything the latter has been issuing new shares and debt to be aggressive in the transfer market. In a scenarios where fans own the team (or a majority), this isn't happening, or at least not as aggressively.

Barça and Madrid are the two teams who earn more money in the world, so it's kind of understandable their debts are bigger than the rest because they work at a different level. Only teams with petrodollars behind can compete, otherwise no team in the world would be not even close.

Barca et Madrid benefit for a highly lopsided TV contracts; they receive nearly 25% of all La Liga TV money. It makes sense given that they are massive draws, but is a key reason why they are relatively healthy financially despite being owned by their fans. For context, EPL TV money redistribution is fairly even (with small performance-based bonuses) which the EPL Big 6 has been trying to dismantle.

Top Bottom