• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

European Super League (Football/Soccer)

DKehoe

But isn't that the same as buying your way into it? i.e. City, Chelsea etc. As for the other clubs money talks, those with the most money get the qualifying places 99% of the time. I'd say only 03/04 gave us a surprise final in the competition at all. I see it as an alternative to the CL and it's new format. It would be interesting to see if the 5 cycled places is a delta of regular qualifiers versus anomalies in the CL coefficient qualifiers
To an extent since obviously having money does typically help bring success. But that’s not a guarantee. Whereas this is an even more direct “because you are this team you get to take part” Going forward if a smaller team were to organically (or even “artificially” like City, Chelsea and PSG did) develop themselves then they can’t compete on the same platform as these clubs. And even building yourself up is going to be harder because those clubs will be getting less money. It’s going to make it harder to shake up the current status quo in terms of who the top clubs are.

DonJorginho

Banned
Bruno Fernandes talking out against the ESL.

LXfdqUE.png

JLB

Banned
Fuck everything about it. Fuck "americanisation" of football. Perez you fucking old greedy cunt.
Gary Neville said it best:

And I absolutely agree with him. If these clubs do join together to create a super league, then FIFA/UEFA/leagues should do everything they can in order to punish them. Take the points, ban from WC/EC etc, put restrictions etc.

Sure, but Mr. Gary was more than ok with Sky multibillion contracts and petrodollars. No greedy there, huh?

AJUMP23

The idea is smart because it takes the most popular clubs and saves them from ever being relegated. But overall it seems like a really crappy thing for fans. I can't imagine the Premier League will want to let their teams play in both leagues. I suppose if the fans had a large enough outcry about it, then they would not do it, but also leadership just may say that the fans will get over it.

AJUMP23

Sure, but Mr. Gary was more than ok with Sky multibillion contracts and petrodollars. No greedy there, huh?
He admits Football has been good to him. He is happy for himself to make money, but he doesn't want to see the game structure changed fundamentally. Also change can be a good thing, and I am sure it would be good for the teams in the super league.

Does Premier or UEFA have profit sharing like the US NFL teams? Where the TV money and revenue from the bigger teams gets split and helps the smaller teams. Granted the US NFL doesn't really have smaller teams.

JLB

Banned
He admits Football has been good to him. He is happy for himself to make money, but he doesn't want to see the game structure changed fundamentally. Also change can be a good thing, and I am sure it would be good for the teams in the super league.

Does Premier or UEFA have profit sharing like the US NFL teams? Where the TV money and revenue from the bigger teams gets split and helps the smaller teams. Granted the US NFL doesn't really have smaller teams.

Premier big teams are just moneyloundering machines, from qatar to russia tzars.
Current state of football is full of dirt.

AJUMP23

Premier big teams are just moneyloundering machines, from qatar to russia tzars.
Current state of football is full of dirt.
Well you can launder money easier I suppose if you are going into these other countries all the time.

ACESHIGH

Banned
Which are the odds of a south American superleague? I'd hate to see this happen.

Independiente
Boca Jrs
River Plate
Estudiantes
Racing
San Lorenzo
Sao Paulo
Santos
Gremio
Flamengo
Corinthians
Palmeiras
Peñarol
Nacional
Olimpia
At Nacional
America de Cali
Barcelona
Colo Colo
Universitario

Perrott

I'm not a huge football fan, so I might be missing something, but I don't get why is this a bad thing. Anyone would mind to explain it to me? Because the major sports websites are only reporting on the news and not going deep into what this means exactly.

Who the fuck speaks like this? Go away, keep your distance 😂
I do.

Arrogant and dismissive, I've got a pretty good idea what you think the "real" name of the sport is, and you're wrong.

As I thought, that was fun.

I feel undecided on this, on one hand this is immoral, unethical and everything that Football should be against in the name of fair competition.

Like I get why people are against this, but how exactly is this immoral or unethical? They're voluntarily withdrawing from one competition (UEFA CL, or in the case of Arsenal and Tottenham, UEFA EL) to play in another.

As for "fair competition," I will never understand the European mindset that leagues where only 4-5 teams (if that) have any real hope of contending for the title is "exciting." NCAA football is bad enough with the dynasties.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
lol I was watching the other Gary Neville interview and they started bashing the American owners at first then turned their ire towards American sports in general. Nice little dig at the world series lol.

But they actually had a good point. Because we have no threat of relegation, there is no incentive to win. Thats why we get teams like the Orioles and Pirates who are shit year after year. If anything, we reward them for finishing last by giving them draft picks. Tanking has actually become a real thing in baseball over the last decade or so with teams like the cubs and astros purposefully tanking for years to get the best young players.

That's where this new league is headed. I know its a midweek competition, but if your spot is guaranteed you are just not going to have that drive to continue winning in domestic competitions. You will trade away your best players if the season isnt going anywhere and write it down as a loss. Right now, the EPL at least has like 8 teams still fighting for the top 4 spots. All of that will go away if they take it away.

I dont really care about the NFL of NBA, but I think baseball would really benefit from relegation. 29 teams is way too much. Limit it to 20, cut the playoffs altogether, and do a 162 games season where the team with the most wins gets to call itself the champions. If anything, I think the ratings would go up because every game would matter, and lets face it no one is watching the yankees play the orioles 18 times a year. Now 18 games between the astros and yankees where every game matters? Lets do this.

The three ring leaders from the prem are all American owned teams, Chelsea & City were "pressured" &... Tottenham.

AC & Inter both Chinese owned.

Spanish teams will have to get past their socios.

The amount of money taken will mean less for everyone else. Will kill grass roots & lower league teams.

Im all for sending all these teams down & we'll see who survives.

QPR against it.

So come on Charlie Austin

He is fucking Bostin

He scores goals, goals, goals

SlimySnake

The three ring leaders from the prem are all American owned teams, Chelsea & City were "pressured" &... Tottenham.

AC & Inter both Chinese owned.

Spanish teams will have to get past their socios.

The amount of money taken will mean less for everyone else. Will kill grass roots & lower league teams.

Im all for sending all these teams down & we'll see who survives.

QPR against it.

So come on Charlie Austin

He is fucking Bostin

He scores goals, goals, goals

I thought it was Arab and American money, but was surprised at PSG not being a part of it since they are owned by Arabs i think.

Not surprised to see China in there though. Literally the worst fucking country in the world right now. Ruining just about everything from our way of life to our economies and now our sports. Gaming is next. I just know Tencent is gonna fuck shit up.

I'm not a huge football fan, so I might be missing something, but I don't get why is this a bad thing. Anyone would mind to explain it to me? Because the major sports websites are only reporting on the news and not going deep into what this means exactly.
In short, it keeps a very small total of "elite" clubs at the top of the game by ensuring they can't be removed from this league which would line their pockets with an additional £300m per year. They get stronger, the rest get weaker. Domestic leagues get weaker due to revised TV broadcast deals focusing on where the best talent is.

As a result, the money that trickles down through the leagues dries up and it kills football at a fundamental level. The established football pyramid dies and the collapse of many lower league and historical clubs begins.

Worst of all, this purely seems to be a cynical power grab from a bunch of clubs who have no right to count themselves amongst football's elite having either fallen into irrelevance or haven't competed for years at the top. My club included (Man Utd)

Last edited:
Think of it as a form of extreme gatekeeping.

Imagine, in a video-game context, you started playing DOTA and you and your buddies got quite good and so you went to national competition and you beat some of the established teams. You end up beating one of the super popular teams in a shock result.

Youd be thinking "it's great we did so well and it's amazing we could become a successful team if we keep doing well."

However secretly behind the scenes the other teams are saying "why should this team of nobodies even be ALLOWED to challenge us?". Then they make plans for an invitation only competition that is not based on merit at all. So now nobody can ever challenge their dominance.

cormack12

Gold Member
To an extent since obviously having money does typically help bring success. But that’s not a guarantee. Whereas this is an even more direct “because you are this team you get to take part” Going forward if a smaller team were to organically (or even “artificially” like City, Chelsea and PSG did) develop themselves then they can’t compete on the same platform as these clubs. And even building yourself up is going to be harder because those clubs will be getting less money. It’s going to make it harder to shake up the current status quo in terms of who the top clubs are.

Yeah and I'm not advocating for it, I just think we reached this point a long time ago in terms of cash. It's not level, even in our league. If anything the gulf is widening over time between the top 2, the battling 4 and the rest of the league beyond that.

I get the never being relegated thing because then it becomes a ceremonial league really, and I take more issue with that than the general idea I guess? The idea is that they stay in their domestic leagues, but instead of playing in the CL, they play in the ESL. The CWC was actually merged into the UC in late 90's I think? Let's not forget that politically there is a choice now, it's not status quo. It's the new CL or the new ESL

The so-called ‘Swiss model’ will see teams compete in one 36-team league – instead of the current system where 32 sides are split into eight pools of four – and guarantee each club 10 matches on a seeded basis.

The new format, which guarantees clubs four more games than in the current group phase, takes the Champions League from 125 to 225 matches and would create a huge headache for domestic schedulers.

EFL chairman Rick Parry says it would be a “major threat” to the Carabao Cup and the Football Association also wrote to UEFA to express its concerns.

The new format would see the league’s top eight qualify automatically for the last-16 knockout stage, with the teams finishing ninth and 24th playing off for the remaining eight places.

I think the new CL protects the big clubs just as much, in fact it has done since group stages were drastically lengthened and expanded. Smaller teams now have to upset the odds a massive amount of times whereas previously they could just turn up and cause a couple of upsets and get to the final.

I do.

Arrogant and dismissive, I've got a pretty good idea what you think the "real" name of the sport is, and you're wrong.

As I thought, that was fun.

Like I get why people are against this, but how exactly is this immoral or unethical? They're voluntarily withdrawing from one competition (UEFA CL, or in the case of Arsenal and Tottenham, UEFA EL) to play in another.

As for "fair competition," I will never understand the European mindset that leagues where only 4-5 teams (if that) have any real hope of contending for the title is "exciting." NCAA football is bad enough with the dynasties.
Of course its unethical. They are purposefully creating an invitation only competition that is not based on sporting merit.

ACESHIGH

Banned

Because in US sports you at least have a salary cap and a draft system. That's not possible in football. And US sports do not have the history behind that European and South American football have. You cannot move your team from one city to the other because a pencil pusher thought it would add value.

And european football was already broken due to the Bosman rulling that took place almost 30 years ago. I'd recommend to go over articles on that to further understand how certain clubs got to be so dominant. This superleague thing was bound to happen.

Can't wait to see how this and brexit impact the premier league. I'd love to see proper british football again.

Last edited:
Of course its unethical. They are purposefully creating an invitation only competition that is not based on sporting merit.
That's not unethical.

Because in US sports you at least have a salary cap and a draft system. That's not possible in football. And US sports do not have the history behind that European and South American football have. You cannot move your team from one city to the other because a pencil pusher thought it would add value.

And european football was already broken due to the Bosman rulling that took place almost 30 years ago. I'd recommend to go over articles on that. This superleague thing was bound to happen.

The culture against moving teams in Europe is so strong that I don't think that will be a major concern.

The Bosman ruling gave players the ability to make the money they deserved. It may have had some consequences, but it didn't "break" football. Even if it did, then football deserved to be broken.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
Which are the odds of a south American superleague? I'd hate to see this happen.

Independiente
Boca Jrs
River Plate
Estudiantes
Racing
San Lorenzo
Sao Paulo
Santos
Gremio
Flamengo
Corinthians
Palmeiras
Peñarol
Nacional
Olimpia
At Nacional
America de Cali
Barcelona
Colo Colo
Universitario

Thing this has nothing to do with domestic tournaments. Its to replace Champions league.

Yeah and I'm not advocating for it, I just think we reached this point a long time ago in terms of cash. It's not level, even in our league. If anything the gulf is widening over time between the top 2, the battling 4 and the rest of the league beyond that.

I get the never being relegated thing because then it becomes a ceremonial league really, and I take more issue with that than the general idea I guess? The idea is that they stay in their domestic leagues, but instead of playing in the CL, they play in the ESL. The CWC was actually merged into the UC in late 90's I think? Let's not forget that politically there is a choice now, it's not status quo. It's the new CL or the new ESL

I think the new CL protects the big clubs just as much, in fact it has done since group stages were drastically lengthened and expanded. Smaller teams now have to upset the odds a massive amount of times whereas previously they could just turn up and cause a couple of upsets and get to the final.
The Champions League should have always been the champions of each European league plus last seasons winners.

This is the end result of allowing big clubs, who weren't good enough to earn the right to compete, to bitch and moan until they got let in.

Yes, Real Madrid vs Bayern Munich is more attractive than Sparta Prague vs Red Star Belgrade but the spirit of the game should be fair and just.

Arsenal and Spurs should be utterly embarrassed to find themselves invited into this. When was the last time Spurs were champions of England? Arsenal with their single Champions League final appearance. Swaggering into this "super" league and closing the door on the rest. Nottingham Forrest have a better claim.

That'll be next. Watch it happen.

Two teams based in Manchester and three teams based in London?

How long before it's suggested that a large portion of City's "supporter" base doesn't even live in Manchester and so the team doesn't really need to play there.

Or are we going to see a situation where we just don't have full stadiums anymore in a covid-19 variant ridden future so nobody cares?

They are already referring to people who actually attend matches as "legacy fans".

Guys who grew up in Liverpool going to Anfield are being disregarded in favour of some wee arsehole in the US paying for some Amazon football subscription and buying Liverpool FC branded tat. Until London Arsenals become popular and he can just switch sides and why not just move the whole franchise and become Los Angeles Arsenals or something?

Termite

I welcome this development, not because the ESL is a good idea (it's terrible) but because it fully and firmly shines a light on how shit and broken club football is in Europe. Perhaps this will be the impetus for change.

My issues:
  • Rampant non-competitiveness where most euro leagues are now dominated by one or two superclubs due to CL money. Entire decades where a single team wins 8 to 10 titles, often in a runaway. It's a joke.
  • Financial doping. It's now wildly out of control.
  • Sportswashing the human rights abuses of russian and arab oligarchs.
  • Clubs living beyond their means to keep up and going bust or needing to be bailed out by a billionaire.
  • Ludicrous ticket prices in top leagues.
  • Shit atmosphere due to ticket prices and lack of standing areas.
  • Ridiculous TV package prices among multiple different providers.
  • Too many fixtures, too many non-competitive, shit fixtures.

Time to sort all this out.

I'd love to see the big clubs ejected from their domestic leagues just to shake things up. I suspect they'll simply back down when they realise UEFA and the national FA's won't compromise - and they won't because they can't as this is a clearly existential threat for them.

I'll just say that UEFA and the clubs and national FAs all caused this by allowing feckless billionaires to buy in to the sport and pump limitless money in. Once that happened you either spent beyond your means or you died. And now Covid hits and the bill comes due for these clubs (with many of them like Barca now in dire financial straits and others like the USA owned clubs upset that they can't turn a healthy profit) so they go all looking for bigger, guaranteed money. The people running the game were asleep at the wheel.

EDIT:
What I'd like to see is 3 european "super leagues". The first two already exist, being the Premier League and the Champions League - which is more of a proper league than ever before with today's swiss style arrangement. Both already make ludicrous amounts of money.

The third super league would be a european league where the current superclubs leave their domestic leagues, which frankly they've outgrown. This also works from a Brexit point of view as one of the two super domestic leagues would be governed by UK law and another EU law.

Last edited:
I welcome this development, not because the ESL is a good idea (it's terrible) but because it fully and firmly shines a light on how shit and broken club football is in Europe. Perhaps this will be the impetus for change.
It's not just that.

This is about UEFA and FIFA controlling the entire idea of high level competition. Imagine the balls on these organizations to think they can CONTROL where independent clubs can play and compete. And people are okay with that.

I think this ESL thing is a bad idea but I think UEFA/FIFA controlling billions of dollars and feeding scraps to clubs is the problem this step is addressing. You've got billions of dollars being funneled through FIFA and these bureaucrats in suits are telling players where to play, when to play, assigning the World Cup to Qatar, etc. This move is a reaction to that and about getting the majority of the revenue of a tournament back into the clubs' hands. There is zero reason FIFA/UEFA have access and control over so many billion dollar clubs that they do. And the rampant corruption within these organizations is even worse.

But yeah, let's shit on the clubs for trying to take their own steps to control the funds THEY generate. FIFA/UEFA aren't generating money. The clubs are.

That's not unethical.

The culture against moving teams in Europe is so strong that I don't think that will be a major concern.

The Bosman ruling gave players the ability to make the money they deserved. It may have had some consequences, but it didn't "break" football. Even if it did, then football deserved to be broken.
Yes but the Bosman ruling meant that clubs could basically get nothing for players that they had developed.

Players don't train all alone or gain experience all by themselves. If a club like Feyenoord gives a player a chance and trains them everyday and helps them build experience and a reputation is it fair that the player can just walk away and the club gets nothing?

In this new situation a club like West Ham could build an amazing squad of players on a budget and then hit the English top four and have a shot being champions of Europe only to be told "nope Arsenal, Man U, Man City, Chelsea or Spurs only boys". Fuck that.

When Leicester won the Premiership almost everyone in football thought it was amazing. What a story! Everyone can dream that maybe some day...

Meanwhile, behind the scenes, Man U, Man City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal and Spurs were scheming and asking "how can we make sure this never happens again."

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
For americans or basketball fans in general, this would be like granting the new york knicks a spot in the Finals every single year just because they are a big market team.

I thought it was Arab and American money, but was surprised at PSG not being a part of it since they are owned by Arabs i think.

Not surprised to see China in there though. Literally the worst fucking country in the world right now. Ruining just about everything from our way of life to our economies and now our sports. Gaming is next. I just know Tencent is gonna fuck shit up.
AC Milan are actually American/Israeli now, Paul Singer Elliott are a vulture fund that strips assets, buys defaulted bonds & chases them in American courts. A cancerous entity.

Arabs are the better investors in the UK, speak to Man city fans, they've invested in that community & people. Sheffield United are another.

Termite

It's not just that.

This is about UEFA and FIFA controlling the entire idea of high level competition. Imagine the balls on these organizations to think they can CONTROL where independent clubs can play and compete. And people are okay with that.

I think this ESL thing is a bad idea but I think UEFA/FIFA controlling billions of dollars and feeding scraps to clubs is the problem this step is addressing. You've got billions of dollars being funneled through FIFA and these bureaucrats in suits are telling players where to play, when to play, assigning the World Cup to Qatar, etc. This move is a reaction to that and about getting the majority of the revenue of a tournament back into the clubs' hands. There is zero reason FIFA/UEFA have access and control over so many billion dollar clubs that they do. And the rampant corruption within these organizations is even worse.

But yeah, let's shit on the clubs for trying to take their own steps to control the funds THEY generate. FIFA/UEFA aren't generating money. The clubs are.
You're right about this being about taking control back from UEFA (although Fifa, in this instance, isn't really relevant). And there's an argument that they shouldn't be bound by UEFA at all.

But financially almost all the champions league revenues go back to the clubs. I think UEFA takes 300m to run the yearly tournaments and its operations, and then a further 300m to invest into the game. The other 4 billion or whatnot goes right back to the clubs. Those 300m admin fees would probably still exist if the clubs ran the tournament themselves, so it's really just the other 300m that's at stake - and split between 20 clubs that's not enough to be worth fighting like this over.

So this is more about the clubs wanting to run their own tournament and get the smaller teams that generate less revenue out of it than it is about UEFA taking too much money, imo. And in the way they've set it up, it's about having yearly GUARANTEED money, which is the part that seems to really upset people. It's clubs not wanting to have to compete yearly for access to that money any more. That goes against the whole ethos of european football.

SlimySnake

Arabs are the better investors in the UK, speak to Man city fans, they've invested in that community & people.
Well, now they are abandoning them altogether.

Just watched a clip where this guy had one of the board directors as a source saying how this league will take precedence over the domestic leagues when it comes to resting players. And they would be happy if they did get banned from domestics leagues and international teams because they dont want their players getting injured outside of the super league.

Yes but the Bosman ruling meant that clubs could basically get nothing for players that they had developed.

Players don't train all alone or gain experience all by themselves. If a club like Feyenoord gives a player a chance and trains them everyday and helps them build experience and a reputation is it fair that the player can just walk away and the club gets nothing?
Is it fair that after their contract expires that a "player can just walk away and the club gets nothing?" Yes, absolutely.

You know what is unfair? Owning people and restricting a worker from working after their contract expires. The club get the services of the player while they develop them during their contract. If the club wants more, either extend the contract or sell their contract before it expires.

Ogbert

The only reason PSG aren’t in is because Qatar is hosting the World Cup, plus they’ve chucked a load of cash at UEFA to be whitewashed.

They’re as plastic as they come.

Well, now they are abandoning them altogether.

Just watched a clip where this guy had one of the board directors as a source saying how this league will take precedence over the domestic leagues when it comes to resting players. And they would be happy if they did get banned from domestics leagues and international teams because they dont want their players getting injured outside of the super league.
This wasn't all done yesterday. It's been years in the making. It would've been even worse to come in without The dominant team in the premiership who've invested a lot of money in Manchester & Tottenham who last won the title in 1961.

Perez of Real Madrid is Chairman.
Vice chairmen are from Manchester United & Juventus. All greedy pieces of shit. MU already released their lobbyists & ESL statement.

I suspect its done to get a bigger piece of the pie & timed to the release of new champions league format announcement. Which is shit. No wildcards, Earn your spot. Thats competitive sport, no participation medal! Get relegated, earn your way back. Vardy is a great product of that.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Fuck everything about it. Fuck "americanisation" of football. Perez you fucking old greedy cunt.
Gary Neville said it best:

And I absolutely agree with him. If these clubs do join together to create a super league, then FIFA/UEFA/leagues should do everything they can in order to punish them. Take the points, ban from WC/EC etc, put restrictions etc.

I don't follow soccer one bit, aside from knowing a touch about Premier League, Man U, David Beckham and whatever other ultras casual stuff sports fans will know about just by checking sports sites and seeing info about other sports.

But got to say this guy's videos might be among the best statements from an athlete I've ever heard ever. I've heard of Gary Neville, but had to google what he did and who he played for.

It sounds like this Super League is based on money and the biggest markets???

It would be like hockey where they form a super league of the biggest market teams. A league with only Toronto, Montreal, Boston, NYR etc.... then add in a few Russian teams bankrolled by giant oil barons.

Ridiculous.

Does anyone have any idea why this was announced now, and not during pre-seasons?
Almost every domestic league is drawing to a close, we just reached the semis in the champions League.

Who does the timing benefit? Are they trying to force UEFA/FIFA's hands by placing themselves in a better bargaining position?

As it stands, every single game I looked forward to this weekend has been suspended indefinitely.

longdi

Banned
This will not pass, fifa uefa will go nuclear and ban players from international and domestic games. 🤷‍♀️

Just a crazy bet to force uefa hands

perkelson

The balance in world football has been in shambles since the Bosman ruling. Football is not a regular job and should not comply with the free movement of resources principle of the European Union . You have to limit foreign players per team to 3/4 tops just like it is in South America, at least that's how it is in Argentina.

The Bosman ruling is what got European football in this situation. The wealthiest teams in the bigger leagues get the best players with no restrictions whatsoever and once historical teams like Ajax, Benfica, Celtic, Red Star and more fall into oblivion.

Also the Champions league is a joke, a snorefest until the knock offs, and don't get me started with the Europa League. They should bring back the old format with only the champions from every league. And then the UEFA cup and Cup Winners Cup. Those 3 were truly great tournaments. I'd argue the UEFA Cup was even better than the European champions cup at times.

This Superleague is the natural conclusion of letting the Bosman rulling and the Champions League run for almost 30 years. The damage is already done.

Hopefully Infantino strong arms all the federations that have clubs in the Superleague removing those countries from any international competition. Ideally they would send all the clubs that decided to take part in the Superleague to the last echelon of club football of each respective country, Glasgow Rangers style.

There is a problem though. If FIFA or UEFA will go against players themselves then they welcome open they ass for huge ass anti-thrust lawsuit in EU. As much as i hate Superleague concept i hate as much FIFA and UEFA.

Imho they should go along and do it. No penalties involved outside of removing them from champions league and national league and cup.

After year or two after everyone realize "wins" or loses are boring they will want to go back. But this time they will have to start from 4th-5th league

perkelson

Does anyone have any idea why this was announced now, and not during pre-seasons?
Almost every domestic league is drawing to a close, we just reached the semis in the champions League.
Who does the timing benefit? Are they trying to force UEFA/FIFA's hands by placing themselves in a better bargaining position?
As it stands, every single game I looked forward to this weekend has been suspended indefinitely.

There are few things:

1. Superleague concept is not new. The first rumors about it were talked about 10 years ago
2. UEFA champions league went from winners of respective league to 2-4 top clubs from each league to now 32 club competition (3-5).
3. Due to additional investement money from big money holders like arabs there are now more "top" clubs than ever and clubs see this as threat as they no longer can expect CL.

So yes it is both bargain and a threat to new UEFA rules which expanded amount of clubs competing which means less chance for big club to win mathematically. They saw US shit football and decided that maybe this will work out better for them than CL where they have to compete.

Either way normal "fans" don't care and this is where Superleague makes sense. Those people don't care about national leagues they only care about CL. Say ManU local fans might be fuming but 200mln worldwide fans won't and this is where they want to strike.

It is hard to tell whatever it will go through or not. Make no mistake it was 10 year plan in making and they have some big money in it to make it happen.

cormack12

Gold Member
The Champions League should have always been the champions of each European league plus last seasons winners.

This is the end result of allowing big clubs, who weren't good enough to earn the right to compete, to bitch and moan until they got let in.

Yes, Real Madrid vs Bayern Munich is more attractive than Sparta Prague vs Red Star Belgrade but the spirit of the game should be fair and just.

Arsenal and Spurs should be utterly embarrassed to find themselves invited into this. When was the last time Spurs were champions of England? Arsenal with their single Champions League final appearance. Swaggering into this "super" league and closing the door on the rest. Nottingham Forrest have a better claim.

I don't disagree with anything you've said to be honest. But the clubs have had their cake and ate it too really. From putting a priority on finishing fourth over the domestic cups and in unique cases over UEFA Cup ties.

For me, whether I like it or not, the people involved have played a blinder and I think this will happen. The Premier League etc. will just be empty threats. They kick them out the domestic league who's going to pay out those contracts for Sky, BT, ESPN etc. No way the broadcasters will be holding the bag with a hole in the bottom when the decision to devalue the product is taken by the PL. Banning them from International Football? All the England players donate their cash for appearances to charity anyway so that's not gonna be a great look for the FA. I think the permanent residency is a smokescreen that will be reviewed - for now they have to show they can operate independently with a quorum. If the proposal depended on domestic football entirely then as soon as it was threatened to be revoked, the proposal would lose its impetus.

At the moment, it's really a case of brinkmanship and a blinking contest because on the surface the ESL can't afford to cover the shortfall of domestic and UEFA losses. But the domestic leagues and UEFA can't afford to lose the big teams from creating the revenue. In an ideal world this butting heads will start a real change in football but right now, The FA, UEFA, BT, Sky, BBC etc all being up in arms about this is down to their inaction over many, many years. Even Citys lawyers cleaned UEFA right out. The likes of FFP have been a joket, the paltry allocation year on year for final tickets, the absolute disregard for fans when choosing final venues, the sketchy incidents like publishing winners of ties on sites and promotional material before the game has been played - even right now the new proposed changes to the format of the competition.

Top Bottom