• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

European Super League (Football/Soccer)

ACESHIGH

Banned
Casual fans don't follow clubs. Just the players, NBA style. With european football I am a casual fan. I just follow the teams where argentine players/coaches are. That's why leeds got to be pretty popular here even when playing in the Championship.

Most leagues are as boring as watching paint dry though. How the heck can you be a say Sevilla or Roma fan and know that you have 0 chance to win the league each season? And those are good teams.

1 round tournaments should be the norm. 2 tournaments per year and if you want you can have a final to decide which was the best team That way is more likely for all clubs to have a shot at the title.

Hopefully Conmebol does not copy this superleague. The imbecile of Dominguez already got rid of the 2 leg finals in club competitions. Fuck that shit.

Wizz-Art

Well, the attractiveness of the Champions League and how it became an international powerhouse is because of the quality of the teams involved, and more importantly, the vast amounts of prize money it gives.

The broadcasters will not pay the amount of money to watch Genk, Porto and Napoli instead of Real Madrid, Barcelona and Manchester United. It's basically the Europa League, and you know how little money that pays. Clubs will still transfer their players to clubs in the Super League, especially now that Covid has destroyed the finances of most teams. That's why UEFA is having its tantrum, the big clubs just killed its money mine.

Not THAT much has changed really, except that the Super League is now owned by the clubs and it's much more closed, with only 5 places for qualification to it.

Yes, but with the Super League alongside it - as I understand those 12 teams are in it and there is no relegation promotion system in place? It get's boring fast I reckon. I also wouldn't be surprised that broadcasters still have to take CL football to have a chance to bid on EC/WC rights for instance like FIFA and UEFA say there will be sanctions to players competing in the Superleague. I mean FIFA/UEFA have a valid point, if you don't compete in FIFA/UEFA sanctioned competitions you also forfeit the rights to play for your country on EC/WC level in FIFA/UEFA sanctioned events, seems plausible that they will impose something like that.

I also feel that those 12 teams will be charged more for talent by Ajax for instance. Oh Real Madrid comes, we up the price for our players because they can afford it. De Ligt and De Jong went for 75-80 million a couple of seasons ago. I can see talent like that being sold for way more by Ajax if one of those superleague clubs come knocking and the players have a long contract in place. Same for other clubs with very strong youth development. This means the extra cash the Superleague pays will go into the hands of the clubs that develop the talent.

Azurro

Banned
Exactly. Serial losers like Juventus riding the coat tails of Madrid, Barca and Liverpool because they can't do it legitimately on the pitch. So they weasel their way in with promises to sell jerseys in the US etc. Even changing the club logo to the current abomination for a bit of extra cash.

Still couldn't beat Porto over two legs. Or Lyon. 9 championships in a row and 9 abject failures in Europe to go with them. Couldn't even get out of the group stages a few times.

"Oh but we got absolutely pumped by Barca and then by Madrid in the final a couple of times please let us in."

Almost unbelievably shameless to think a club that tried and failed NINE consecutive times to have an impact in the Champions League and hasn't been champions of Europe for a quarter of a century deserves to waltz right in to some Super League.

Ah, a xenophobic Brit, that's new. You are just salty that the Premier League is no longer the most important league in the world. Foreigners gave you your money, bruv, now they are taking it away.

Go and wave some Boris Johnson flag or whatever. Probably a supporter of some shitty no name British team that got their money off of the coattails of the Premier League.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Casual fans don't follow clubs. Just the players, NBA style. With european football I am a casual fan. I just follow the teams where argentine players/coaches are. That's why leeds got to be pretty popular here even when playing in the Championship.

Most leagues are as boring as watching paint dry though. How the heck can you be a say Sevilla or Roma fan and know that you have 0 chance to win the league each season? And those are good teams.

1 round tournaments should be the norm. 2 tournaments per year and if you want you can have a final to decide which was the best team That way is more likely for all clubs to have a shot at the title.

Hopefully Conmebol does not copy this superleague. The imbecile of Dominguez already got rid of the 2 leg finals in club competitions. Fuck that shit.
I always follow the team in sports, with exception I used to be a Celtics fan back in the Bird days, but when he retired I didn't follow basketball until Raps had Carter. I root for Raps now no matter what. Same goes for shitty Leafs and hit and miss Jays.

But by far the biggest fan migration to players I saw was when Gretzky went to the Kings. In the mid 80s, everyone around here was either a Leafs, Habs, Oilers or Islanders fan.

The second Gretz got traded, all those Oiler fans became Kings fans overnight with black and silver jerseys, even though Oilers still had a good team and won another cup without him.

Ah, a xenophobic Brit, that's new. You are just salty that the Premier League is no longer the most important league in the world. Foreigners gave you your money, bruv, now they are taking it away.

Go and wave some Boris Johnson flag or whatever. Probably a supporter of some shitty no name British team that got their money off of the coattails of the Premier League.
You're somewhat missing the point.

The point being that an exclusive Super League that only contains the 12 richest clubs basically constitutes a Football "safe space" where so-called big clubs can't suffer the embarrassment of being displaced from the Champions League by underdogs like Roma, Leicester, Ajax, Porto, Monaco or whomever. There is no longer any value to competition. What's the point of having a league table at all then? What's the point of reaching Top 4 in the league, if it doesn't matter and doesn't hurt your chances in playing in the European Cup. Without the big clubs the UCL will die out and will be replaced by the ESL, which is exactly what these powerful clubs want.
They want the consistent revenue from being involved in a European Cup without the risk of potentially missing out due to bad performances, recruitment or coaching.

The likes of Stan Kroenke doesn't want to invest serious money into Arsenal for example - he just wants to take money out from it. Now he can have all that delicious European money without having to worry about something silly like investing in a good Team and Coaching set-up to have Arsenal earn their way into Europe.

Even Liverpool and John Henry. They've invested enough for Liverpool to have two breathtaking seasons; a CL and PL win. But when the injuries came and the time came for further investment to reinforce the squad they disappeared. Only coughing up the resources for some loans in January because their position in the Top 4 is at risk. Well they don't have to worry about that any more.

I don't like FIFA or UEFA. They're corrupt money-grubbers too, but at least under their system competition has value. If you want to play in the Champions league you must earn the right to do so. If you want to play in the Europa League you must earn the right to do so. The tiered league system in most footballing countries speaks for itself. Any team can improve themselves and bring themselves up to the Premier League. Not too long ago the likes of Burnley were languishing in the English 4th division, but over the course of 30 years they dragged themselves to the Premier League, and even more recently made it into the Europa League. A few more years and some more investment and they have an outside chance at making the Champions League and facing off against European Royalty. Not with the ESL they don't. West Ham right now are playing very well, in spite of their stature as a club. They could very well make the Top 4 this season and make it into the Champions League. Nope, not any more. With an Elites-only playground, no room for that any more.

You could argue its all about the money, and that which is more profitable should always take precedence, but that's cynical and frankly boring. People say that nobody would watch the likes of Burnley play in the Champions League, but believe me if Burnley pull out a Sean Dyche masterclass in shithousery and beat Real Madrid - even in a Group Stages game - you can bet your ass people will be tuning in to watch the madness - and that is what European football is all about.

ACESHIGH

Banned
I also feel that those 12 teams will be charged more for talent by Ajax for instance. Oh Real Madrid comes, we up the price for our players because they can afford it. De Ligt and De Jong went for 75-80 million a couple of seasons ago. I can see talent like that being sold for way more by Ajax if one of those superleague clubs come knocking and the players have a long contract in place. Same for other clubs with very strong youth development. This means the extra cash the Superleague pays will go into the hands of the clubs that develop the talent.

Or the superleague teams can lure the young talent players by offering huge wages and sign them for free when their contract expires Bayern Munich style, thanks to the Bosman rulling.

I'm afraid we are going to see even further concentration of talent in european football. You will see even more worldclass players wasting their careers on the bench of top clubs.

Instead of players like Batistuta, Shearer, or Le Tissier that chose to play for smaller clubs and got them to punch above their weight.

Last edited:

Azurro

Banned
Or the superleague teams can lure the young talent players by offering huge wages and sign them for free when their contract expires Bayern Munich style, thanks to the Bosman rulling.

I'm afraid we are going to see even further concentration of talent in european football. You will see even more worldclass players wasting their careers on the bench of top clubs.

Instead of players like Batistuta, Shearer, or Le Tissier that chose to play for smaller clubs and got them to punch above their weight.

Take a look at your examples. How long ago was that? 20 years?

A year ago the British public voted for a party known for cronyism , sustaining corporate greed and protecting profit at any fucking cost. Documentaries ran about children starving on tv, nhs underfunding, personal debt crisis etc all was covered, all well known. Very well known.

The labour party ran a totally opposite manifesto and also wanted more fan ownership of football clubs and stop local teams being a billionaires play thing.

The public chose option 1. They want the unfettered profiteering to continue unabated. Damn the poor, damn the starving, damn the nurses, sod the workers. The british electorate spoke very clearly.

Now we cry about it?! It's a bit shitty of me, but come the fuck on. Bend over and take the next four years of it like everyone else.

Seeing kids crying about over hunger pains, scraping ice off the inside of their unheated homes windows was hard.

Seeing people cry that private firms are being ran exactly like private business ventures do, in line with the history, culture and policies of the party of business who won a landslide election is farcical. Be glad they haven't moved the teams offshore yet.

The only vote consumers of the luxury football products have now is with their wallets. I suggest supporting your lower league local club if you want to watch some sport instead.

It is kind of funny that it seems these owners are willing to blow up a good thing to try and attract American viewers like me who still won't watch this boring ass sport.
Don't fool yourself, if this actually happens, in about 5-7 years everyone's panties will untwist and the Yuros will love big name matches every week... and easy wins against Spurs.

ACESHIGH

Banned

Yeah, I was talking about how I would like things to be. Just because European football is unbalanced now, that doesn't mean its necessary to perpetuate that situation with the Superleague. Besides, what if the best teams on it always stay at the top thrashing sides like Arsenal, Tothenham, Milan or one of the invited clubs Would they put together an Ultra League then?

Would you like your team that used to be a contender on the national league to be a punching bag on the Super League?

How about letting the owners play a few games of FIFA,sorry "EA Superleague 22" and decide who is the champion then or better yet: Have the team with the best Balance Sheet win (audited by PwC KPMG E&Y and others)

Also, with teams with nothing to lose on the last few weeks of the league since theres no relegation for founders, match fixing will be rampant.

Last edited:

MrS

Banned
I'm ok with this, UEFA is just throwing their toys out of the pram because they just took away their cashcow. Football has changed, the financial implications are enormous, the big teams have become a global product and there's no going back. The big teams are what makes the CL, after COVID hitting the finances of these teams, it proved the perfect catalyst for this.

All of this morality grand standing is ridiculous, you can't win without money in this sport, little teams becoming competitive happens so, so rarely that they can't come out and tell the BS that football is for "the little guys". It hasn't been, for decades. Now UEFA and FIFA come out with all that BS? With their shit Club World Cup competition? How about the BS in Qatar that actually is costing lives, building stadiums that will never be needed again with actual people dying to make it happen? With their international friendlies, which aren't anything but an excuse to line up the pockets of the federations and damage the clubs that are actually paying the players. With CONCACAF directors becoming insanely rich through shady dealings. Oh but no, NOW they are actually for morality and the little guy, don't make me laugh.

Instead of watching Juve in the CL, I'll watch Juve in the Super League, big deal. Serie A was already kind of a secondary competition for the fanbase, winning it was kind of a requirement and a consolation prize compared to the big eared trophy.
Nobody gives a shit about your garbage matchfixing loser club.

Last edited:
You should know. It was around the time Juventus last won the Champions League.

Peruzzi, Ferrara, Pessotto, Toricelli, Vierchowod, Paulo Sousa, Dechamps, Conte, Vialli, Ravanelli, Del Piero.

A team that actually EARNED their place in history.

Not some mob who weasel their way in through dodgy boardroom dealings.

"Oh but we'll sell loads of jerseys in the USA, Mr Perez, please let us join, slurp slurp, we couldnt get past Porto or Lyon so don't let them in, gobble gobble."

• Fire
Reactions: MrS

Azurro

Banned
You should know. It was around the time Juventus last won the Champions League.

Peruzzi, Ferrara, Pessotto, Toricelli, Vierchowod, Paulo Sousa, Dechamps, Conte, Vialli, Ravanelli, Del Piero.

A team that actually EARNED their place in history.

Not some mob who weasel their way in through dodgy boardroom dealings.

"Oh but we'll sell loads of jerseys in the USA, Mr Perez, please let us join, slurp slurp, we couldnt get past Porto or Lyon so don't let them in, gobble gobble."

Ah, I knew it, your team is probably some PL parasite that got money just for being there. What is it? Burnley, Wolves or some other joke like that? Get out of here, call me once your team is relevant and doesn't just ride the coattails of the actual successful team. Just please don't call me while you are getting it on with family members or sheep, I heard that's quite popular amongst your ilk. Parasite.

Last edited:

Donwel

Neo Member
Agreed, local rivalry will be mostly lost in the European league. (Except the Utd-Liverpool or Utd-City).

What about Liverpool-Everton? Lost.
As an Everton fan this would be an absolute travesty, the atmosphere in the city (even in families since they're usually split down the middle between red and blue) is just different when there's a derby match on, it's electric and it's always a brilliant spectacle.
Taking this away from both sets of fans (hell even the city) is nothing short of a crime and it's all fuelled by greed. Disgraceful.

Prison Mike

Banned
As an Everton fan this would be an absolute travesty, the atmosphere in the city (even in families since they're usually split down the middle between red and blue) is just different when there's a derby match on, it's electric and it's always a brilliant spectacle.
Taking this away from both sets of fans (hell even the city) is nothing short of a crime and it's all fuelled by greed. Disgraceful.
Im a city fan n i agree hands down ive been at everton once for a Derby as mates a season ticket holder was amazing.

A year ago the British public voted for a party known for cronyism , sustaining corporate greed and protecting profit at any fucking cost. Documentaries ran about children starving on tv, nhs underfunding, personal debt crisis etc all was covered, all well known. Very well known.

The labour party ran a totally opposite manifesto and also wanted more fan ownership of football clubs and stop local teams being a billionaires play thing.

The public chose option 1. They want the unfettered profiteering to continue unabated. Damn the poor, damn the starving, damn the nurses, sod the workers. The british electorate spoke very clearly.

Now we cry about it?! It's a bit shitty of me, but come the fuck on. Bend over and take the next four years of it like everyone else.

Seeing kids crying about over hunger pains, scraping ice off the inside of their unheated homes windows was hard.

Seeing people cry that private firms are being ran exactly like private business ventures do, in line with the history, culture and policies of the party of business who won a landslide election is farcical. Be glad they haven't moved the teams offshore yet.

The only vote consumers of the luxury football products have now is with their wallets. I suggest supporting your lower league local club if you want to watch some sport instead.
This is so fucking stupid. In the grand scheme of things, do you think football will decide who people vote for? Not a more important issue such as immigration or border control? But feel free to gloat.

Fuck all those clubs. The state of football is fucking disgusting, with these richer teams getting more richer while the others get left behind. Champions League is fucking boring, Europe League same.

I don't give a fuck about these competitions anymore, only follow my club on the national competitions.

Prison Mike

Banned
Fuck all those clubs. The state of football is fucking disgusting, with these richer teams getting more richer while the others get left behind. Champions League is fucking boring, Europe League same.

I don't give a fuck about these competitions anymore, only follow my club on the national competitions.
What club

Thats a good back up.
I also used to follow Juventus and United, always loved those teams since a little kid. After these recent events, I feel disgusted.

Can't imagine the Portugal national team not being able to use Cristiano, Ruben Fernandes or Bernardo Silva because of this fucking decision.

Jon Neu

Banned
Sporting Clube De Portugal.

tumblr_m7cip7oZWe1rr6cyuo1_500.gif

Agreed, local rivalry will be mostly lost in the European league. (Except the Utd-Liverpool or Utd-City).

What about Liverpool-Everton? Lost.

If this plays out like the SL teams want it to, the local derbies would be untouched. They're only dropping out of the CL, not their respective domestic leagues/cups.

This is so fucking stupid. In the grand scheme of things, do you think football will decide who people vote for? Not a more important issue such as immigration or border control? But feel free to gloat.
No. I am not gloating. But the hysteria over this on the news is far from proportional to the problem. And who you vote for affects more than just the 1 or 2 policy issues you are told to care about.

Private firms want to start a different competition = outrage.

Kids going hungry, or fire and rehire = meh.

This is one of the smallest and insignificant problems of our business system let alone country.

Over 1000 British gas engineers were sacked for not accepting a 15% pay cut last week despite the company making profit. The reason being the bosses and shareholders want to go back to the profit levels they enjoyed pre regulation when the gas cartel literally had pensioners freezing to death at home because they could not afford both heat and food. Nobody gives a single toss.

And yet in the uk there is much whailing and knashing of teeth because rich football clubs are getting richer whilst the poor are left behind, accusation of football cartels, monopoly - rigged rules to keep the elite on top.... but has fuck all to do with politics m8! Get real.

It's a fucking ignorant position. The worst fans have to face is a 3rd subscription to premium football. I don't agree with the ESL, but the surprise is questionable and tears are childish in my view.

No. I am not gloating. But the hysteria over this on the news is far from proportional to the problem. And who you vote for affects more than just the 1 or 2 policy issues you are told to care about.

Private firms want to start a different competition = outrage.

Kids going hungry, or fire and rehire = meh.

This is one of the smallest and insignificant problems of our business system let alone country.

Over 1000 British gas engineers were sacked for not accepting a 15% pay cut last week despite the company making profit. The reason being the bosses and shareholders want to go back to the profit levels they enjoyed pre regulation when the gas cartel literally had pensioners freezing to death at home because they could not afford both heat and food. Nobody gives a single toss.

And yet in the uk there is much whailing and knashing of teeth because rich football clubs are getting richer whilst the poor are left behind, accusation of football cartels, monopoly - rigged rules to keep the elite on top.... but has fuck all to do with politics m8! Get real.

It's a fucking ignorant position. The worst fans have to face is a 3rd subscription to premium football. I don't agree with the ESL, but the surprise is questionable and tears are childish in my view.
Even with 1 or 2 policy in mind, Labour’s proposal would have been far down the list of priorities.

And you realise that there is more outrage about this because it has more international impact than the 1000 British engineers, right? That news is local and did not make it all the way to Australia, for example.

And you’re thinking that it’s only fans of the 15/20 clubs who will be affected with a 3rd subscription. This will bring down revenue for the smaller clubs in the Premier League for example. And even for the fans of the founding teams - do you think the Glazers will invest in Manutd if they’re getting a lot of money no matter the performance on the pitch? I can see it now - Utd will never win anything ever again but that won’t bother the owners because there will be no repercussions for the owners.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
At some point, someone will do a survey for fans of only the teams included in the ESL.

Would be interesting to see how many of those fans affected like the ESL or not.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
Well, when the proto Champions League started in the 50's and Barça was invited to play in it, the club declined to participate because the fans didn't care about it.

Madrid then went and won the 5 first editions and turns out 60 years later that tournament was actually like the best thing ever.

Sometimes people lack perspective. And somehow this mass hysteria sounds a lot like it.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Just to show how little I know about the Premiership, I didn't know it made it's own league 30 years ago breaking away from the rest of the pack.

What was the response back then? Of course there was no internet or social media for everyone to vent, but in terms legality, media response, fans response, what was it like back then in the UK?

Last edited:

Wizz-Art

Can also be, but don't we already have that now with the Dutch, Belgium and Serbian leagues for instance where a lot of the big talents come from that never can't compete with the wages on offer in the top 6 countries so the youth leaves at even 15-16-17 years old and mostly waste their talent because the clubs they choose have deep benches and every position is filled three or four times with strong players. The chances to get into the starting line up if you're not a supertalent like De Jong or De Ligt aren't that great. Fortunately there will always be young players that realize that and choose playing time over money but also many won't and that's a shame seeing talent not developping further and going to waste like you said.

I really was excited for the new CL season without those clubs as there could be some upsets and maybe a surprise winner which should be refreshing but there are also a lot of downsides.

As I understand; Those clubs will still compete in their national leagues which makes ranking for those clubs not that essential anymore as they have entry in that SL anyway so I can see them competing in their national leagues with glorified B-teams and resting their star players for the SL where the big money is made. Who would like to watch teams without their best players and those national competitions will feel watered down talking about Premier League mainly. The longer I think about it the more I don't like the idea at all.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
As a Man United fan, I can understand this vs UEFA's greed. Imagine the Sheffield relegating and yet earing nearly as much as the Champions League amount of money, not to mention that the champions of EFL League One are actually as close as a Champions League winner. Even though the EPL made smaller clubs stronger using the fame and money of the big 6 in a Robin Hood style, they at least give a good sum of money.

Although this is disturbing, UEFA is the one should be under pressure only, not national leagues. Also if the British government can really get these clubs back to the public from foreign owners that would as well be great.

This wouldn't be a big problem if players aren't outrageously expensive to begin with. Those massive wages and pricetags should be toned down before anything as the big clubs might really collapse.

Last edited:
As a Man United fan, I can understand this vs UEFA's greed. Imaging the Sheffield relegating and yet earing nearly as much as the Champions League amount of money, not to mention that the champions of EFL League One are actually as close as a Champions League winner. Even though the EPL made smaller clubs stronger using the fame and money of the big 6 in a Robin Hood style, they at least give a good sum of money.

Although this is disturbing, UEFA should be under pressure only, not national leagues. Also if the British government can really get these clubs back to the public from foreigner owners would as well be great.

This is wouldn't be a big problem if players aren't outrageously expensive to begin with. Those massive wages and pricetags should be toned down before anything as the big clubs might really collapse.
Doesn't the fact that there are two Manchester teams in there worry you?

If you look at the American system, which seems to be the model they want to ultimately use here, then they aren't going to have the entirety of European football spread over only a few cities.

Is there a worry that 10 years from now there is a rebrand and someone thinks "Doha Red Devils" would be better?

No way Manchester has two clubs in a few decades if this pushes through. They'll rebrand some of these clubs.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Doesn't the fact that there are two Manchester teams in there worry you?

If you look at the American system, which seems to be the model they want to ultimately use here, then they aren't going to have the entirety of European football spread over only a few cities.

Is there a worry that 10 years from now there is a rebrand and someone thinks "Doha Red Devils" would be better?

No way Manchester has two clubs in a few decades if this pushes through. They'll rebrand some of these clubs.

I can live with Newton Heath where all trophies are preserved, and Glazers can fuck off with a shell club.

Honestly, that would be the best result out of it. Also players and agents need to tone the fuck down with their outrageous pricetags and wages.

Last edited:

West Texas CEO

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
For me, this is very simple.

Every football fan in Europe boycotts these teams, and enjoys their national leagues without these 12 teams. Then these corporate globalized behemoths can rot and enjoy their group stage matches in Riyadh taking photos with Bin Salmon.

It does depend on how many sheep decide to follow this new thing but speaking to hardcore fans at work, at least locally there is zero support for this shit and they are not going to continue following the teams if this goes through. It all depends on the fans overseas now....

Yes. What gives organizations the right to participate in the things they want to participate in!?!?!?

Yes, one of the best teams vs another of the best teams is too boring. Give us more Krasnodar vs Rennes matches! Atalanta vs Midtjylland too!

Oh, this should be fun... what, pray tell, is the sport's "real" name?
It will become quickly boring when they will play every other week you cretin.
I can live with Newton Heath where all trophies are preserved, and Glazers can fuck off with a shell club.

Honestly, that would be the best result out of it. Also players and agents need to tone the fuck down with their outrageous pricetags and wages.
This is another topic. One guy in his 20 play great season and suddenly everyone puts 150$ mil on the table. And wages 35$ mil a year. How can these so called elite teams cry about losing money when they themselves are putting unsuistainable money on the table first.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It all depends on the fans overseas now....

I spend $300/year just to watch Manchester United, not a single other channel in the package, nor other competitions. But hating the Glazers comes as a standard if you ever care about the club, Ed Woodward, his tool, as well. Those are just suits, and Glazers don't even watch Man United/football to begin with.

The best thing to happen here is to somehow find a loophole and save those majestic clubs from the greedy thieves and bring back power to the fans.

love_united_hate_glazer_by_mg91_d2lo1a8-fullview.jpg

GettyImages-1177190869.jpg

The yellow and green colors are the original club colors known as Newton Heath, built in 1878 before becoming Manchester United in 1902.

Last edited:
Top Bottom