• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurovision Song Contest 2010 Thread of Legal Torture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wes

venison crêpe
Having watched all the songs already this year is a pretty crappy crop.

Azerbaijan have been the favourites for about a month now but not a clear favourite like Norway's was last year. Plenty of people could beat them on the night as the song isn't all that great.

The German song is actualy one of the better entries. Reminds me a lot of Kate Nash which is no bad thing.

At the moment I'm swinging towards betting on Sweden. Although if the French chuck a football on the stage during their song I think they'll do well.

Kozak said:
:lol :lol

Why?? Damn this comp. sounds absurd
Large amount of Turkish immigrants and Belgians/Dutch from Turkish origin.

To be more exact: for Belgium (and for Holland too?) the standard position for Turkey is 12, no matter the quality of the song. If there is however a very good song in the contest, perhaps that song might get 12 and turkey the 10. Still, completely ridiculous state of affairs, but who cares really.

Wes

venison crêpe
Kozak said:
:lol :lol

Why?? Damn this comp. sounds absurd

Good songs can break the "bloc voting" system as evident last year. I think they changed the voting system to be a mix of judges and callers from each country... not sure if that's still in place or not.

Kabouter

Souldriver said:
Large amount of Turkish immigrants and Belgians/Dutch from Turkish origin.

To be more exact: for Belgium (and for Holland too?) the standard position for Turkey is 12, no matter the quality of the song. If there is however a very good song in the contest, perhaps that song might get 12 and turkey the 10. Still, completely ridiculous state of affairs, but who cares really.
Yes, that's how it works for the Netherlands as well.

Jasup

Wes said:
Good songs can break the "bloc voting" system as evident last year. I think they changed the voting system to be a mix of judges and callers from each country... not sure if that's still in place or not.
It's still the same this year.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Souldriver said:
LET THE CELEBRATION OF EXQUISITE TASTE BEGIN!!!!!!!

Lordi.jpg

People hating on Lordi? smh

Kurtofan

Combichristoffersen said:
God that was the best post-eurovision ever.
Old French media raging and complaining,the internet rejoicing...
Good times.

Mael said:
You mean like always, right?
I guess we'll end up in second to last place or something like always, at least it's not a shitty balad/love song like always, right?

edit : oh and I wikied Jessy Matador.....it's a he, I can see some being disappointed :lol
We used to win!...20 years ago :lol

GCX

Kurtofan said:
Good times.
You should've seen Finnish media.

Before Eurovision: Oh God we're going to humiliate ourselves with that freak show! Somebody please think of the children!!
After: We believed in you from the very beginning!! Welcome our new monster overlords!

Mael

Kurtofan said:
Good times.

That year Eurovision was almost worth it!
and yeah it's always funny watching eurovision especially for the anchor guys, they're a riot :

- 'Well they did well but they're not as good as our singer, Cocorico'
- 'They're chauvinist they gave 10 points to that singer that's not as good as ours and they gave 2 points to France!'

It's always the same and it's really hillarious :lol

Sloane said:
I don't like her either but she'll probably get the best result in years for Germany. Top 5.

More like bottom 5. She has a very weird pronouncation and the the song isn't as catchy as it could be. This kind of song never was succesfull in Eurovision.
Also while she is a cute little girl she doesn't make you say "wow, what a woman!". Her target audience are teenagers not the old people who still watch Eorovision.

Combichristoffersen

Kurtofan said:
Good times.

Even my old man, who usually detests any rock harder than Nazareth or Uriah Heep, thought Lordi were the best that year :lol

Combichristoffersen said:
I wasn't aware I was hating on them. :lol

I was just showing what a freak show Eurovision is. Are you going to deny that these people, and let me repost the picture for good measure...

Lordi.jpg

...these people, are not a freak show?

Kurtofan

Mael said:
-'Well they did well but they're not as good as our singer, Cocorico'
Damn I hate when French presenters say "cocorico".
So ridiculous.

GCX said:
You should've seen Finnish media.

Before Eurovision: Oh God we're going to humiliate ourselves with that freak show! Somebody please think of the children!!
After: We believed in you from the very beginning!! Welcome our new monster overlords!
During Lordi song(not after or before:during):looks like Finland is not going to win this year,hahahaha" "they call that music?"
During the voting:"er what"
When Lordi won:"this is ridiculous" "I don't understand".
The meltdown was delicious.

Oh god, I remember the gaf thread from that year. There where quite a few of Greek gaffer who took the whole thing far to seriously and thought the My Secret Combination song was grammy award material. It was like fanboy war mentality, but for Eurovision... EUROVISION!!! Jfc. :lol

Acosta

Kurtofan said:
During Lordi song(not after or before:during):looks like Finland is not going to win this year,hahahaha" "they call that music?"
During the voting:"er what"
When Lordi won:"this is ridiculous" "I don't understand".
The meltdown was delicious.

:lol I was watching it with my family and I could't stop laughing seeing their faces when they won. One of the best years (and the song rocked).

Dead Man

Kurtofan said:
Good times.

That was the first time I watched it all the way through. So good.

Jasup

Sloane said:
No way. Her shtick gets annoying after you've seen it a few times, but the first time it's still: Hey, she's a bit different. That's nice. I'll vote for her!

Not saying she will win but she'll do much better than Germany's previous entries, and I'll be shocked if she doesn't make the top 5.

Also, http://www.google.com/landing/eurovision/index.html
I remember ages ago when German entry was the blind girl with that eurodisco song. She was predicted to be in top 5 too. My eurovision fanatic friend was shocked it ended up on the bottom.

Germany should just send Guildo every year.
horn114_v-gallery.jpg

I honestly am little confused about the amount of (internet) praise Lordi gets. Is it just because it was something (close to) hard rock? Bordering a music genre you like? Because it was "something else"?

By all means, it deserved to win. Definitely! But that's not saying much given the quality of an average Eurovision song. As a song on itself, taken out of the context of that kitsch extravaganza it entered in, I find it extreeeeemely average. I wouldn't listen to it twice.

I know, different opinion and all that jazz, but I don't think the song itself matches the amount of praise it gets. But I repeat: easily one of the best songs the contest has seen the last decade.

Combichristoffersen

Souldriver said:
I wasn't aware I was hating on them. :lol

I was just showing what a freak show Eurovision is. Are you going to deny that these people, and let me repost the picture for good measure...

http://h.imagehost.org/0573/Lordi.jpg

...these people, are not a freak show?

I misunderstood your post. Sorry 'bout that :lol But yeah, Eurovision is a giant freakshow. For some reason it's incredibly popular within the gay community in Norway. Is it the same in other European countries too?

operon

Hopefully Ireland can do better this year, looks like we're taking it seriuos again instead of sending a turkey.

OMG Aero

Man I love Eurovision. I watch the final all the way through every year and always have a £1 bet with all my friends where we each draw out a country at random and whoever has the highest scoring country wins all the money.

It's always funny when someone gets England because they basically just hand over their money straight away.

Purkake4

Banned
Phantast2k said:
I googled it because I was hoping for a french hottie. I was very wrong :(

Here's the the German entry:

http://i48.tinypic.com/3004b9w.jpg[IMG]

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esTVVjpTzIY"]Lena Meyer-Landrut - Satellite[/URL][/QUOTE]
Wow, she looks totally like Veronica Belmont in the video.

Erebus

Please think twice before voting us this year for obvious reasons. Besides, our song is the worst we've sent in years. :lol

Kabouter

DarkUSS said:
Please think twice before voting us this year for obvious reasons. Besides, our song is the worst we've sent in years. :lol
Plus, a victory might lead to rioting in the streets. And we wouldn't want to do that to an otherwise stable country.

Souldriver said:
I honestly am little confused about the amount of (internet) praise Lordi gets. Is it just because it was something (close to) hard rock? Bordering a music genre you like? Because it was "something else"?

By all means, it deserved to win. Definitely! But that's not saying much given the quality of an average Eurovision song. As a song on itself, taken out of the context of that kitsch extravaganza it entered in, I find it extreeeeemely average. I wouldn't listen to it twice.

I know, different opinion and all that jazz, but I don't think the song itself matches the amount of praise it gets. But I repeat: easily one of the best songs the contest has seen the last decade.

It was just that it was so different compared to what usually wins. Everyone loves the underdog.

I haven't even listened to Sweden contribution yet. It sucks or is boring I am sure.

Xater

Wow I didn't keep up with this at all this year. I only know we again had quite an eleborate process here in Germany to get our entry. Now I hear it and I don't know how this shit got selected. :lol

Probably can't watch Eurovision this year anyway, which makes me happy. Otherwise I would hav suffered through it again.

Erebus

Kabouter said:
Plus, a victory might lead to rioting in the streets. And we wouldn't want to do that to an otherwise stable country.
Right. Like we don't have enough of this already. :p

falconzss

selig said:
Um, no.
Germany just doesnt get what makes you successful in that ridiculous competition: Catchy song AND an eye-candy show. Imo, Germany´s best act was Stefan Raab´s Waddehaddeduddeda. Hate it as much as you want, it was a great, catchy song and he did fantastic live-perfomance.
Unlike Germany´s recent years, where there´s just a small group on stage and singing whatever song.
Meanwhile, countries that had a big show on stage won. Should be a sign, I´d say.

can't argue with that but it's not just this. the performances in recent years where awful in every aspect (at least those i remember). lena has a good voice but the can't dance (not at all) and as you said stuff like this is more important than the actual singing. that's the reason why raab and guildo horn are still the best german entries in how many years?

Ikael

Ah, just gotta love Eurovision. The freak show is awesome, and has produced some incredibly hilarious things like the great and only Alf Poier.

And from time to time, truthly great songs like Hard Rock Hallelluja or this.

So, yay Eurovision!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom