• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurovision Song Contest 2010 Thread of Legal Torture

Status
Not open for further replies.

CassSept

Oh Christ, it's that time of year again. I'm not gonna watch any entries before the final itself, I don't wanna spoil all the horribleness for myself. Poland's song is actually not as disastrous as in the last few years, so maybe this time if we qualify we finally won't take the last place:lol

And Eurovision 2k6, when Lordi won was so so delicious. Nobody believed even for a second that they had even the slightest chance of winning:D

soepje

For some reason it's incredibly popular within the gay community in Norway. Is it the same in other European countries too?

In the Netherlands its also quite popular under the gay community. Or it least it has the name Eurovision = gay fest. One of the big events next to the gay parade. :p

Btw, am i the only one that is reminded by Alice Cooper's song poison when hearing Lordi's Hallelujah? The refrain's seem kind of similar to me.

Alice Cooper
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3U2KY12z6c

jorma

is now taking requests
Wes said:
Having watched all the songs already this year is a pretty crappy crop.

Azerbaijan have been the favourites for about a month now but not a clear favourite like Norway's was last year. Plenty of people could beat them on the night as the song isn't all that great.

The German song is actualy one of the better entries. Reminds me a lot of Kate Nash which is no bad thing.

At the moment I'm swinging towards betting on Sweden. Although if the French chuck a football on the stage during their song I think they'll do well.

Swedish contribution is actually not that shit this year, but i figure it's way to bland to have any sort of impact.

Last time I watched this it was sooo bad... yet kind of entertaining. mor ve ötesi (Turkey) was one of the few artists/groups that didn't sound generic and boring.

Not sure if I want to watch 2010 Eurovision but this thread sure does serve as a reminder :D

AVclub

GCX said:
One of the best songs of the last few years yet nobody noticed. :(
It might be a good song if the lyrics weren't all the same note or delivered by tone-deaf and strange looking performers.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
CassSept said:
Oh Christ, it's that time of year again. I'm not gonna watch any entries before the final itself, I don't wanna spoil all the horribleness for myself. Poland's song is actually not as disastrous as in the last few years, so maybe this time if we qualify we finally won't take the last place:lol

That makes it sound like Poland has a history of being last. Poland has finished last only once.

Mael

I actually heard the french song and.....well I'm impressed they chosed something pretty 'unsafe' to represent the most egotistical people in Europe.
One of the guy presenting it thought it was a girl too :lol
The song still sucks and we'll still lose badly but that way WAY better than last year

Hammer24

Banned
Whats the current drinking game for this event?
- one shot for every participant in a too short skirt
- two shots for every carneval costume?

Kabouter said:
Dutch GAF still remember this from the 1999 national song contest? :lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCBmuxH0XJw

Probably the worst thing ever associated with the Eurovision song contest. And a damn shame we didn't send them :lol

2009 says hello

Toppers-silver-samenLR_small-RESIZE-s925-s450-fit.jpg

Next year we either need to send a hot girl or a DJ

Mael

Hammer24 said:

that's gonna be one short night :lol

Hammer24 said:
You're dead within an hour.
Kabouter said:
And overall?
Wouldn't know. I'm sure there are quite a few great songs I've never ever heard of. But from what I know, it's probably my favorite, yes.

Hammer24

Banned
Souldriver said:
You're dead within an hour.

Do you know the feeling, when your stomach starts to rise through your throat on his way to strangle the brain, just to make the pain go away?
I´d rather die from alcohol, thank you. :D

Mael

Hammer24 said:
Do you know the feeling, when your stomach starts to rise through your throat on his way to strangle the brain, just to make the pain go away?
I´d rather die from alcohol, thank you. :D

It's the stomach or the eyes and ears ganging up on the brain?
Tough choice

CassSept

John Dunbar said:
That makes it sound like Poland has a history of being last. Poland has finished last only once.
In the last 5 years we got through the semifinal only once, and when we finally did we placed last. That isn't really a great streak, is it :D?

mclem

Party's already planned, I've started to stockpile the Pringles.

As an aside - since we had that Shakira thread a little while ago - I listened to Whenever, Wherever again recently. That is *so* a wannabe Eurovision track.

Peru

Can't wait for this spectacle. More countries than usual have gone for the 'safe, near-credible' choices this year, which is disappointing. Hoping for some outrageous stage costumes to make up for it.

Drinking game:

One shot per:
* Key change
* Awkward punchline from hosts / comedy sidekick

It's an embarassment of riches for drinking games, so you have to pick a few unless you're on a suicide mission.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Bosnian song last year was pretty damn good. French song a year before was amazing. Sébastien Tellier's 'Divine' was not a typical eurovision material, that's for sure.

They were by far the best songs to come from this thing in the last few years. No wonder both songs were completely overlooked.

At least Lordi won so it balances it out a bit

Enosh

CassSept said:
Hey this doesn't start so bad...
Oh wait.
Wat.

This is bad, even for Eurovision:lol
I know, I know

I wanted not to know but I just had to look up what piece of shit we will send
well I regret it

I'm always amazed by the lack of good songs in the ESC.

I mean, every single nation has a whole bunch of legitimately good artists and bands, some even internationally famous. But none of those wouldn't even want to touch this epic kitsch turd with a ten foot pole. It's almost career suicide, which seems so contradictory give the massive audience this event has. :lol

I call it, Lena is at least Top 3.

lena-meyer-landrut2.jpg

I go as far as saying she will win. I like her, shes cute. The studio version of the song sucks, but it works with her charme.
I hope she wins, so I can visit a eurovision show in person next year.
Everyone saying, she'll be lower than top 10 has no sense of how this contest works, or how music works.

Oh and most analysts, even google, suppoirt my thesis. And most of them were right the last years

Kabouter

Souldriver said:
I'm always amazed by the lack of good songs in the ESC.

I mean, every single nation has a whole bunch of legitimately good artists and bands, some even internationally famous. But none of those wouldn't even want to touch this epic kitsch turd with a ten foot pole. It's almost career suicide, which seems so contradictory give the massive audience this event has. :lol
Would the event have even remotely as many viewers if it was anything other than hilarious cheese?

Binabik15

Let´s call it Grand Prix d'Eurovision de la Chanson. It sounds sooo much better.

I love to hate it and I only watch it if greater powers (i.e. people around me) decide that they want to torture me.

I don´t care who wins, I don´t care how much money we pump into this shit, I don´t care about the bloc countries voting each other up. I just want two things: hot gypsy sex with the girl from the Slovenia vid and the chance to punch last year´s winner and the German contestant in their shit eating faces.

Blablurn

Earl Cazone said:
I call it, Lena is at least Top 3.

lena-meyer-landrut2.jpg

I go as far as saying she will win. I like her, shes cute. The studio version of the song sucks, but it works with her charme.
I hope she wins, so I can visit a eurovision show in person next year.
Everyone saying, she'll be lower than top 10 has no sense of how this contest works, or how music works.

Oh and most analysts, even google, suppoirt my thesis. And most of them were right the last years

LEEEEEEEENAAAAAAAAAAAA

i forgot this was coming up... excite.

I don't even remember seeing the qualifier for Irish entry this year. Must have blocked it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom