• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EVANGELION (PSP): New Info + Screens:

Matix

-(Source: *Famitsu*)-

EVANGELION (PSP): New Info + Screens:
http://www.famitsu.com/game/coming/2006/02/01/104,1138786773,48180,0,0.html

Info:
-Release Date: 4/27/06:
-Genre: Adventure:
-Improved Real-Time Battles:

h-104_48180_eva1.jpg.jpg
h-104_48180_eva2.jpg.jpg

h-104_48180_eva3.jpg.jpg
h-104_48180_eva4.jpg.jpg

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
not that i'm going to play this, but i'm surprised it isn't a creepy pedo dating simulator of some sort.

...pleasantly surprised, for my part. can't speak for my fellow gafers. many of whom, as i've learned, are big pedophiles!

Zen said:
Evangelion is the greatest freaking anime out there for about the first half...

Yeah seriously. What the hell happened? The director like lost it to depression or something? I mean...what the hell?! I both like and hate this series. Gah, I hate being attached to characters. I read the summary of the Eva End of Evangelion movie...I'm not even going to bother with it, screwed me up enough!! It sounded like they went a local nuts with that movie. It's like we screwed up so much, here's another version of the ending!!!

Fusebox

Banned
Top 2 shots look cool bottom 2 look not-so-cool.

PSP is the anime lovers heaven atm, Bleach, Eye 21, Eureka 7, Initial D, Neon Genesis.. woot!!

The last 2 levels will consist of no graphics, but only black screen with text questions, asking you about your existential being.

Tamanon

Banned
Although to be fair, I'd prefer the text ending to an ending involving Shinji wanking it over injured Asuka's body.

Fusebox

Banned
Can't wait to play the dating sim as Shinji...

Asuka Langley wants to kiss you. Do you:

1. Run away

2. Scream and run away

3. Make bubbles come out of head and jaw drop to floor then scream and run away

mosaic

go eat paint
I always hoped they'd make an Eva game using the Virtua On or Armored Core engines, but historically they've always been lame point-click adventures.

Is this the same?

Any chance of Crapdai releasing it in North America?

Is Evangelion the anime that was milked so much that there was actually a game based on a dream sequence in one episode where the characters were high school students? Or am I thinking of something else?

Fusebox said:
Can't wait to play the dating sim as Shinji...

Asuka Langley wants to kiss you. Do you:

1. Run away

2. Scream and run away

3. Make bubbles come out of head and jaw drop to floor then scream and run away

Damn Shinji, you wuss!!! :lol

Tabris

Zen said:

Funny enough, I think the complete opposite. It wasn't until the first half was over before it started actually getting good.

The first half is stereotypical cliche'd anime fluff. At least the majority.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Tabris said:
Funny enough, I think the complete opposite. It wasn't until the first half was over before it started actually getting good.

Agreed. It wasn't until the last two episodes that it really went off the deep end...It got better, better, better and then blew it's load two episodes too soon.

Maybe the whole series is a metaphor...Shinji's premature ejaculation should he have ever gotten with a girl...

Tamanon

Banned
Speaking of Eva mindtrips, the first real mindtrip episode is on.

"Who's bad?"
"Father is bad"
"No I am bad!!"

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I know homer doesn't like the word but this word fits the series like a glove, this series is soooooo overrated. sure the series is good but nothing earth shattering like New Type for example make it out to be.

with that said game looks crappy.

7Th

The End of Evangelion is an amazing example of how a great director works. Features some of the best scenes anime has ever seen. The storyboard and cinematography were made by god himself I say!

Too bad Anno's skills as a writer suck.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
HomerSimpson-Man said:
Yeah seriously. What the hell happened? The director like lost it to depression or something? I mean...what the hell?! I both like and hate this series. Gah, I hate being attached to characters. I read the summary of the Eva End of Evangelion movie...I'm not even going to bother with it, screwed me up enough!! It sounded like they went a local nuts with that movie. It's like we screwed up so much, here's another version of the ending!!!

I'm not 100% but I heard that some other director took over later on.

Docpan

Zen said:

Whoa... I'm the total opposite.

I thought the first half was filled with retarded, run-of-the-mill shit anime fanfare.

It's the second half that threw in all that mindfuck stuff, which was awesome. And the movie... Good God. That was awesome.

Red Scarlet

Tabris said:

Yeah, I'm in the same boat..don't really care for the first half.
Although I haven't watched any form of the show/movies since around 1998, it probably has my what will stay favorite character in anime (I don't watch it anymore really):

asuka_4.JPG

Don't most of the games kinda suck though?

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
I could have sworn that one of the reasons for the different episodes was that EVA cost Gainax too much money to produce and sustain. Something in the area of over $1 million per episode.

ghibli99

Thaedolus said:
Agreed. It wasn't until the last two episodes that it really went off the deep end...It got better, better, better and then blew it's load two episodes too soon.

Maybe the whole series is a metaphor...Shinji's premature ejaculation should he have ever gotten with a girl...
I thought it started to walk the plank around episode 21 or so (of course, it's been nearly a decade since I watched it), and then dove off headfirst into an empty pool at 25. The first few volumes were pretty typical and run-of-the-mill, but that 5th volume (17-20) was some of the best anime I'd seen up to that point. Seeing what happened to characters like Touji (his scene in the hospital) was heartbreaking. Then the series just goes into WTF territory and stays there.

I was an "Eva For-Eva" fanboy before that, though... the Eva HG model was one of the only ones I've ever built and painted, and I still think the character designs are very strong. Asuka is by far my favorite character of the series... Yuko Miyamura's best role! I loved her Konjou Sentai Gutsman track on one of her first albums, too. Awesome!

Zen

Banned
A thousand plagues upon anyone who actually liked the bitch queen. Has there ever been a bitch as absurdly bitchy as Asuka? I think not.

olubode said:
I could have sworn that one of the reasons for the different episodes was that EVA cost Gainax too much money to produce and sustain. Something in the area of over $1 million per episode.

A million back in like 1996?! For anime? That can't be right.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
HomerSimpson-Man said:
A million back in like 1996?! For anime? That can't be right.
No, I'm almost positive. I am recalling this info from a friend of mine who runs an anime store in Toronto. Maybe the million might be off, but it was definetly on the north end of 6 figures an ep.

Zen

Banned
They made money on Eva though, a lot of money. The directory (who was never replaced) has talked about how suprised all the companies involved were that they were making money on the series.

Beezy

I'll never have and never will watch Evangelion unless I can get it in japanese with subtitles. The english voices hurt so bad.

Only other show I've ever seen that even compares to Evangelion is Utena. Both of these shows just have something that takes them far beyond the ususal stuff.

How did the N64 game fare?

Raven.

Banned
I liked eva alot, I found the series got better as it progressed, the last 2 regular episodes were a bit on the downside, but endofeva fixed that.
hmmm, I wonder if something with a few similarities will actually happen here on earth... ;)

TehOh

Here's some *ahem* leaked images from the english version :D

parodybattle.jpg

parody3.jpg

parody9.jpg

(actually, these were from the ps2 game that this is a port of)

NeonZ

Thaedolus said:

Heh. Those last two episodes weren't exactly Gainax's fault. Their budget ran out, and they had several censorship problems with the original episode 25 (which was almost identical to the first half of End of Evangelion, anyway)...

Ronok

I read the summary of the Eva End of Evangelion movie...I'm not even going to bother with it, screwed me up enough!! It sounded like they went a local nuts with that movie. It's like we screwed up so much, here's another version of the ending!!!

Seriously, watch EOE! It really is quite amazingly good..... I mean you can call me crazy, but, I had no problem with the original ending in the first place, but, EOE really is cool. XD Infact, even if you watch it for the one scene where Shinji is saved from under the stairs!

drama2.gif

I used to like eva, but not anymore. I still think the fight scenes in end of eva and the episode in the series where they kill the 3d shadow angel (zebra ball :lol ) are worth drudging through everything else.

bjork

I got this series when rightstuf had the box on sale for $39. I watched it after about 8 months of it sitting there, and I took it to work the next day and exchanged it for some manga. :lol

Zen said:

You have to be kidding... second half is when it gets really really really good.

and for the record, the director went off his depression meds and didnt tell anyone so he could be as creative as he wanted to be. The reason the final television episode ended up the way it did was because the show had gone so far over budget that they couldnt afford produce what ended up being the movie. iirc. been years since ive watched eva.

bjork

meltpotato said:
You have to be kidding... second half is when it gets really really really good.

and for the record, the director went off his depression meds and didnt tell anyone so he could be as creative as he wanted to be. The reason the final television episode ended up the way it did was because the show had gone so far over budget that they couldnt afford produce what ended up being the movie. iirc. been years since ive watched eva.

The second half would be good on its own, but not as the ass end of a show that's about robots kicking ass and whatnot. It's like someone mashed two totally different show plots together and forced them to coexist.

The second half of that show is what I'd expect if they ever made an anime about emo bands.

bjork said:
The second half would be good on its own, but not as the ass end of a show that's about robots kicking ass and whatnot. It's like someone mashed two totally different show plots together and forced them to coexist.

The second half of that show is what I'd expect if they ever made an anime about emo bands.

haha. that emo bands part is pretty funny. when i rewatch the series i tend to skip a lot of the introductory episodes. i agree with you. but at the same time, the show probably couldnt have been produced in the first place if it didnt have the typical kids in high school girls punching boys fan service bullshit panguins kid with DAT player crap. it feels a lot like they made a lot of sacrifices to get out the story that they wanted to tell.

Top Bottom