• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Even if Marvel gets the rights to Fantastic Four back...

RuhRo

Make it a campy period piece matching the tone of the first issues and touching on their Cold War subtext for a little winking commentary on the modern US/Russia tensions.

Disney has The Incredibles already. They don't need two identical properties.

I would love for the Increables to be in the Marvel universe but they are different.

Either way I never found F4 all that interesting aside from their Villains namely Doom, and a handful of others. They are definitely more interesting apart than they are together though I find. Sue Storm especially has some incredible moments for someone who is often broken down to "lol slightly invisible woman" Same with the Thing.

In general though, don't feel like we need the F4 at the moment on screen... though I do have an itch to read their comics at the moment.

Deadpool: 363mil domestic, 84% Rotten Tomatoes score (6.9/10 average)
Logan: 226mil domestic, 93% Rotten Tomatoes score (7.9/10 average)

The PG-13 psychedelic teen horror that will be New Mutants (adapting the Demon Bear storyling) is gonna go somewhere, I'm sure.

People will be quoting Sam Guthrie for months. Mark my words...
Code:
[IMG]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-QngHcuuGXFc/VTkq2-PDM-I/AAAAAAAAYzk/IhAR4CxWmzQ/s1600/Excalibur%2B%2321%2B-%2BNigh%2BInvulnerable.png[/IMG]
He's nigh invulnerable when blastin'.
The F4 are probably my favorite marvel team. Some of these posts in here are so sad.

Yes, F4 villains are probably the best part of the package. Doom will forever be the best villain in all of comics, but you have Galactus, Kang, Mole Man, Annihilus, Terrax, and so many others that would work in the MCU in one way or another.

Not to mention that Reed is probably one of the most complicated characters in comics. Everybody needs to read some Hickman F4 to get the character.

Don't forget Blastaar, the Wizard, and the Mad Thinker. Blastaar fucked them up pretty hard when he showed up.

The F4 are probably my favorite marvel team. Some of these posts in here are so sad.

Yes, F4 villains are probably the best part of the package. Doom will forever be the best villain in all of comics, but you have Galactus, Kang, Mole Man, Annihilus, Terrax, and so many others that would work in the MCU in one way or another.

Not to mention that Reed is probably one of the most complicated characters in comics. Everybody needs to read some Hickman F4 to get the character.

Agreed, Hickman's run from F4 through Avengers to Secret War is probably the quintessential modern F4 read. Marvel Unlimited is having their free first month promotion right now and they have the entirety of his run available, so I'd recommend anyone with even the slightest bit of interest to go check it out.

Silver-Age FF is fun as hell to read, though Stan Lee's dialogue can be rough to get through. If you can manage that, then be prepared for wacky shit.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"

Super science is indeed fucked up.

And I agree with your point. Doom gets a lot of love, but he shines the brightest in contrast with the 4. I'm guessing people have to read the comics to see that, and for some reason people don't want to crack the books.

V_Arnold

Actually, Too Much Ego Reed has been snuck into Marvel universe, via Tony Stark.
So any kind of bullshit that needs to be done with science can be done via Tony at this point.

Imagine the amount of bad rep Reed could have attained by now if he were present since Avengers 1. Just imagine :p

(But yeah, Marvel could make good movies out of the property. Or more importantly, a good Netflix show, where there is time to expand on the details too.)

Hickman's F4/FF run is one of the best stories I have ever read. All these threads, all slowly, inexorably coming together towards a fantastic conclusion... where different stories act as lego pieces, joining together in inventive ways... just incredible.

I had no interest in Fantastic 4. I love them now. Also... Hickman Doom is how I want Doom to always be. Imperious, arrogant... and willing to do the right thing from time to time if it serves his ego and he finds it worthwhile.

Hickman's run is just awesome. Cant say enough good things about it.

jdstorm

Banned
Remember when people thought Wonder Woman was going to bomb because there hadn't been much done with her brand recently?

Fantastic 4 is a bit like that. Its a well known and beloved brand and it features 3 of Marvel's most important characters (Silver Surfer, Doom and Sue Storm) that just hasn't been handled correctly this centuary. (Although FF1 really isn't that bad)

Violater

People really seem to have an interest in Doom, so maybe that should be the movie. Have Doom banish the F4 to some other dimension where they stay off screen for 90% of the movie while some other super heroes take him on.

Garlador

Remember when people thought Wonder Woman was going to bomb because there hadn't been much done with her brand recently?

Fantastic 4 is a bit like that. Its a well known and beloved brand and it features 3 of Marvel's most important characters (Silver Surfer, Doom and Sue Storm) that just hasn't been handled correctly this centuary. (Although FF1 really isn't that bad)

The difference is Wonder Woman didn't have FOUR failed movies under her belt dragging her down. The first proper movie we ever got from Wonder Woman was both a critical and commercial hit.

Volimar

The difference is Wonder Woman didn't have FOUR failed movies under her belt dragging her down. The first proper movie we ever got from Wonder Woman was both a critical and commercial hit.

Were Fantastic Four and Rise Odd The Silver Surfer failures?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Hickman's F4/FF run is one of the best stories I have ever read. All these threads, all slowly, inexorably coming together towards a fantastic conclusion... where different stories act as lego pieces, joining together in inventive ways... just incredible.

I had no interest in Fantastic 4. I love them now. Also... Hickman Doom is how I want Doom to always be. Imperious, arrogant... and willing to do the right thing from time to time if it serves his ego and he finds it worthwhile.

Hickman's run is just awesome. Cant say enough good things about it.

mmm yes.

i hope more people read it after that insane amazon sale

Garlador

Were the first two Fantastic Four films failures?

Well the first first was an ashcan film so bad it was never even released and exists mostly now as a thing mocked on Arrested Development, while the second major one was a moderate box office success whose momentum didn't carry forward to the sequel, which lost a ton of money.

So out of four films, only one really made modest money, and that was back in 2005.

jdstorm

Banned

Fantastic 4 (2005) made over 330M Worldwide despite being decidedly average. Thats similar to Superman Returns 391M. In general that feels about right for the brand. Its A Tier but its not Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman or Spiderman.

Adjusting for inflation and increased ticket prices, that's a pretty nice payday in todays climate.

Yet to see the potential viability of a good Fantastic 4 film you only need to look at "The Incredibles" which made 633M in 2004 as an animated Fantastic 4 palate swap.

The modern audience loves Superhero films and has shown an apetite for the family friendly MCU. I think its fair to say that the brand has untapped potential even if it has 2 or 3 failed films. They failed because audiences don't support bad films not because of a lack of brand awareness.

McLovin

They can, I personally didn't see the last one because fox made it. They don't have a good track record with superhero movies.

beanoboy7

Would they even be able to make a film out of them? I mean, the last movie bombing did some serious damage to the brand (and yet, Fox STILL doesn't seem to want to give the rights back) see, Marvel getting the rights back has created a Catch-22, usually it's because those movie studios don't want to make films out of the property anymore, that's why despite the rights for Blade, Ghost Rider and Daredevil reverting, they haven't been able to make films out of them and why Ghost Rider, Daredevil and Punisher have been relegated to Netflix and TV shows rather than films.

So... even if Marvel gets the rights back, would they be able to make a Fantastic Four movie? Probably not for a good long while.

Fox doesn't have the rights. Constantin films does.

Ravelle

I hope to be alive when Super Skrull hits the screen.
Super_skrull.jpg

mmm yes.

i hope more people read it after that insane amazon sale

Its impossible to find Hickman's Fantastic Four Omnibus Vol. 1... I've had Volume 2 for ages now, and have been looking for Vol. 1 without any success. If its available at all, its at ridiculously inflated prices which make no sense.

I just wish Marvel would print the Vol. 1 Omnibus again so I can own the complete story!

jdstorm

Banned
It's too late to fit it into the MCU, I feel like.

Nah timing is almost perfect for post infinity war. Spiderman is practically the 5th member of the family and he's HS age in the MCU. So if Reed and Ben were 23 right now, Sue was 18/19 and Johnny was a bit younger that would be about right.

They get their powers via fallout from the Infinity War battles. Its set up perfectly.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
How long before the rights revert back to Marvel? I'm assuming it's probably 8-10 years based on the gap between Silver Surfer and the reboot.

As someone that doesn't read comics, it would be nice to finally see the version of Dr. Doom that comic fans say such nice things about. Whenever anyone mentions the character, all I can see is the douchebag from nip/tuck

I don't see why they couldn't make a good movie.

What would be the best embargo period before reintroducing them into the MCU? And would it work best to introduce both the F4 and their villains into the MCU, or would you introduce a few villains first, and then introduce the F4?

Cuburt

I think if Marvel gets to make a Fantastic Four film, they should build them up to be important figures, both narratively as well as in the universe. That's how they establish them to fill the same role in the MCU that they once filled in the comics, and it's not unlike their approach to Spider-Man so far; he's not Spider-MAN yet, he's rookie hero Spider-Teen who is still trying to prove himself to be on par with established heroes like Iron Man or Captain America, but one day he will grow into the shoes that people want to see him fill.

One of the ways Marvel can make the F4 instantly recognizable as a big deal, in a way that Marvel hasn't quite done it in the MCU and kind of goes against many of their instincts, is to cast the whole team as A-List stars. No unknowns, no actors with cult followings. Just straight up stars that will make any casual fan look at the list of actors and think "WTF? Whoa!" and watch it out of pure curiosity.

Something like:
George Clooney - Reed Richards
Charlize Theron - Sue Storm
Ryan Gosling - Johnny Storm
Matt Damon - Ben Grimm

Then talk Daniel Day Lewis into returning to acting to play Victor Von Doom.

My point is that you have audience buy-in because they already know and like the actors immediately so you can do whatever wacky shit and you don't have to spin any kind of concessions to justify the characters or their premise. Casting high profile actors already makes it a sort of hyper reality.

Top Bottom