• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Even if Marvel gets the rights to Fantastic Four back...

Bah, any post credit scene which doesn't have Reed looking through the multiverse via the bridge and seeing how fucked up the MCU is and proclaiming "I can fix it" while Susan writes him a "I need seaman" note...

Just not worth the effort.

Got damn. Pure. Hawt. Sauce.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
What makes Dr.Doom so special? Legit question, I only know him from Marvel vs Capcom

What makes Doom special?

35640745196_c6a21a36f6_o.jpg

35640744856_b9d85d290f_o.jpg

35640744156_f0e4b535d2_o.jpg

35640743836_93a856e2e2_o.jpg

35640743236_7224b283a5_o.jpg

35640742596_80b616fb6a_o.jpg

35640742256_02ace77807_o.jpg

That's what makes Doom special. He isn't some cackling madman bent on world destruction. He wants to rule the world because he believes he would rule it best.

And he's right.

At least have FOX return the rights for Doom. I'd rather have problematic marvel villain than FOX's majorly minisnterpented Doom going on 3 movies now.

What makes Doom special?

That's what makes Doom special. He isn't some cackling madman bent on world destruction. He wants to rule the world because he believes he would rule it best.

And he's right.

Eh.. this is tricky. If you follow the logic and the rules set up in these panels... Cat God doesn't actually say that Doom is correct. It's implied but left ambiguous enough for a twist, if the author or a future author so chooses.

Now I don't know if there's greater overall context but in these panels it is established that the Arch simply detects Lies/Deception within the person themselves. Which means that the person need simply be truthful or pure in their beliefs/goals as opposed to being correct in those things. So it just means that Doom actually believes what he's saying. Not that he's correct in his belief.

But, like I said, I don't have any further context outside of what those panels show specifically.

Sinatar

Eh.. this is tricky. If you follow the logic and the rules set up in these panels... Cat God doesn't actually say that Doom is correct. It's implied but left ambiguous enough for a twist, if the author or a future author so chooses.

Now I don't know if there's greater overall context but in these panels it is established that the Arch simply detects Lies/Deception within the person themselves. Which means that the person need simply be truthful or pure in their beliefs/goals as opposed to being correct in those things. So it just means that Doom actually believes what he's saying. Not that he's correct in his belief.

But, like I said, I don't have any further context outside of what those panels show specifically.

Bast the god of Wakanda has viewed the future, and the only future for humanity that is peaceful and prosperous is one in which Doom rules.

In the context of the discussion, the person who claimed they radically changed Ant Man for his cinematic appearance was talking out of his ass.

he may be, but it's a bad way to dismiss his argument. The amount it gets thrown around on this forum has increased a bunch too. If he's making a dumb point, then you should be able to counter it with a substantive argument, not just dismissing him by saying he doesn't read comics.

I've had the same thing told to me at least 2 or 3 times on this board and I've been reading comics for my entire life, so just because someone says something that you find disagreeable doesn't mean that person doesn't read comics.

Bast the god of Wakanda has viewed the future, and the only future for humanity that is peaceful and prosperous is one in which Doom rules.

He doesn't actually say that. Again, it's heavily implied but not confirmed and the rules set forth in the panels themselves about how the test work don't state that the person getting tested has to be right. Just that they have to be honest and pure in their beliefs and goals.

Edit: Unless there's something else somewhere in the book that you haven't posted that straight up says what you're saying. I haven't read it, so I can't confirm or deny that.

theBmZ

I know Marvel is capable of making a great Fantastic 4 movie, but it is so badly tarnished at this point that even if they did make one, every one would be wary of it just because of the name. It's a shame because Doom and Galactus would be awesome in the MCU.

Sinatar

He doesn't actually say that. Again, it's heavily implied but not confirmed and the rules set forth in the panels themselves about how the test work don't state that the person getting tested has to be right. Just that they have to be honest and pure in their beliefs and goals.

Edit: Unless there's something else somewhere in the book that you haven't posted that straight up says what you're saying. I haven't read it, so I can't confirm or deny that.

Last page I posted.

ZDnqyDP.png

LionPride

Banned
Doom is not a businessman though, he is a Puttin-like Dictator, a scientific genius (and student of the magical arts) whose megalomania is only equalled by the love of his country and the desire to see it recognized.

I could totally see a Von Doom as an already established eastern European dictator in a country bordering Sakovia, known as Latveria, who would have recently put his hands on Alien tech (thanks to Hydra) and sick to death of the treatment he is receiving by Nato after the Avenger mess.
I said he would be Tony's foil, which he heavily is if the current Iron Man run didn't tell you

Like, Doom and Tony are very alike

One just does what they do with magic and tech instead of tech

Last page I posted.

ZDnqyDP.png

That's implication. Not confirmation. Context that informs that are the previous panel highlighting Doom really believes it and that his intent is pure.

All Bast is saying in this panel is that he's also seen the future and he also has seen the one path that leads to no evil, hurt, or want. He doesn't actually confirm that Doom's one version is the same as his. And the soul crying out but having to act based on truth part could actually be read from a stance that it's absolutely different but beyond Bast's authority to stop Doom since Doom is being honest in his belief, if one wanted to go that far but it's a bit more of a reach.

It's classic ambiguity but really cleverly done. The author could go either way later on and justify either decision.

caliph95

It blows my mind that we are in 2017 and we have still not seen DOCTOR DOOM on the big screen.
Both modern FF movies in attempt to modernise him keeps ruining him, like at least the FF team even if the movies suck try to maintain the spirit both Dooms are pretty much doom in name only

Film is the only place where a thing can fail multiple times and people will respond to it by saying "keep trying immediately instead of just let it take a breather for a couple years so people actually have time to forget the failures"

"This will definitely work" - nobody ever

Violater

They still made very successful movies out of all of those properties, twice now with GotG with no mention of the Avengers.

What's your point? A good movie can be made with any superhero property, you just need someone who cares about the material, good casting, good writing, and good direction. The most recent effort by Fox had only one of those things (casting), so it's no surprise no one went to see it.

My original point was that relaunching F4 isn't nearly the same as Spiderman.

Film is the only place where a thing can fail multiple times and people will respond to it by saying "keep trying immediately instead of just let it take a breather for a couple years so people actually have time to forget the failures"

"This will definitely work" - nobody ever

Fox has to make a new one every seven years or they lose the rights so they can't really afford to take a breather longer than that.

That's implication. Not confirmation. Context that informs that are the previous panel highlighting Doom really believes it and that his intent is pure.

All Bast is saying in this panel is that he's also seen the future and he also has seen the one path that leads to no evil, hurt, or want. He doesn't actually confirm that Doom's one version is the same as his. And the soul crying out but having to act based on truth part could actually be read from a stance that it's absolutely different but beyond Bast's authority to stop Doom since Doom is being honest in his belief, if one wanted to go that far but it's a bit more of a reach.

It's classic ambiguity but really cleverly done. The author could go either way later on and justify either decision.
This discussion is interesting to me. I wish I could read comics.

Doom may be my favorite villain in comics period

Or is it Reed Richards?

I thought Reed is Mr. Fantastic. Isn't he a hero? Also, why does everyone not call him by his superhero name?

Volimar

Both modern FF movies in attempt to modernise him keeps ruining him, like at least the FF team even if the movies suck try to maintain the spirit both Dooms are pretty much doom in name only

It's a shame because I thought that Julian McMahon was a good fit for Doom, writing aside.

LionPride

Banned

I thought Reed is Mr. Fantastic. Isn't he a hero? Also, why does everyone not call him by his superhero name?
Reed Richards is a massive massive asshole

Like he's such a dick that one of his alternate incarnations is actually a villain that all started because Sue Storm said no to marriage

Temp_User

If there is one change that i would make to the Fantastic 4, movie or comics, is that Sue Richards becomes a tech genius herself in or around the level of Reed and Doom. Someone that could spar with Reed during downtimes because him being a condescending asshole towards his teammates gets old quick.

caliph95

Like he's such a dick that one of his alternate incarnations is actually a villain that all started because Sue Storm said no to marriage
We pretty much had a council of Reeds with ours being the good one since he actually cares about his family with Council being dicks

LionPride

Banned
We pretty much had a council of Reeds with ours being the good one since he actually cares about his family with Council being dicks
And the 616 Reed is STILL a condescending dick himself! Just less so than the rest because he cares just enough for his family

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
If there is one change that i would make to the Fantastic 4, movie or comics, is that Sue Richards becomes a tech genius herself in or around the level of Reed and Doom. Someone that could spar with Reed during downtimes because him being a condescending asshole towards his teammates gets old quick.

Isn't Valeria kinda that?

NeonZ

Because in modern stories he's really more famous for his scientific side and role as a visionary (sometimes portrayed with gray morals), rather than as an action hero.

Reminder that he basically built a trans-dimensional prison to house anyone who wouldn't follow the Registration Act in Civil War. He's done some questionable/dickish things for sure.

Temp_User

Isn't Valeria kinda that?

Yeah but she is generally a supporting character to the core members. She is not usually included in encounters with villains and/or fellow super-heroes. As a core member and as his wife, if Sue was a super-genius herself, she could readily and naturally deflate Reed even on tech stuff if he ever steps out of line.

Not to mention, a Valeria who always show-off her genius is always in danger of being a Wesley Crusher.

caliph95

Yeah but she is generally a supporting character to the core members. She is not usually included in encounters with villains and/or fellow super-heroes. As a core member and as his wife, if Sue was a super-genius herself, she could readily and naturally deflate Reed even on tech stuff if he ever steps out of line.

Not to mention, a Valeria who always show-off her genius is always in danger of being a Wesley Crusher.
I prefer the maybe evil or amoral Valeria than wesley

While we're talking about a comic, the discussion itself has little to do with comics themselves. It's more about interpretation of dialogue, tropes, etc... Writing is writing regardless of the format after all. You can find this type of stuff in lots of media. TV, Films, Books, etc..

Garlador

Evidence #2...
DOOM 2099

Doom is brought to the year 2099, where the world is run by an ACTUAL vile and remorseless tyrant and everybody is suffering and keeping the apocalypse at bay. In this world, Doom is revered as a champion and revolutionary intent on reclaiming his homeland and imposing true order and peace upon a world that's spun into madness. His morals remain the same, his values unchanged, and yet by this contrast he is unquestionably the hero of this story and his eventual success in the 2099 universe brings about a genuine golden age of progress, stability, and peace.

They ain't getting that back. Not unless the mouse pays up, and the mouse doesn't wanna pay unless they get everything from Fox, which Fox doesn't wanna do at this point in time.

Garlador

They ain't getting that back. Not unless the mouse pays up, and the mouse doesn't wanna pay unless they get everything from Fox, which Fox doesn't wanna do at this point in time.

Well, at this point, Fox is LOSING money every time they release a Fantastic Four movie. At the rate they're going, the only money they'll be getting out of the property for the foreseeable decade is by making Disney an offer.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
QowmNle.jpg

Film it. Make mega bank.

My point was the Homecoming exists despite AS2 being a dumpster fire.
AS2 is no where near as shit as that last Fantastic Four film. Not even in the same universe. Shit Gwen stacy alone made AS2 worth it.

For the umpteenth time, Fox doesn't own the rights, so Fox isn't the ones they'd be buying from. At best, they'd have to do with Fox what they did with Paramount after Iron Man 1 where they had to buy back the distribution rights.

The F4 are probably my favorite marvel team. Some of these posts in here are so sad.

Yes, F4 villains are probably the best part of the package. Doom will forever be the best villain in all of comics, but you have Galactus, Kang, Mole Man, Annihilus, Terrax, and so many others that would work in the MCU in one way or another.

Not to mention that Reed is probably one of the most complicated characters in comics. Everybody needs to read some Hickman F4 to get the character.

Top Bottom