• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Even with the EGS exclusivity, Borderlands 3 seems to be 2K`s highest selling PC game on PC.

Shifty

You know, numbers that would actually be useful in determining what effect---if any---going EGS exclusive had. They left those out for some reason, hmmmm.
But of course, that won't stop the local blockheads from waving it around like some kind of victory flag.

Tygeezy

Great for them, but I will continue to wait.
It might end up requiring epic store anyway... The friends list is pooled from epic game store. They would have to have some link between steam and epic store, change your friends list system to one that gearbox later develops (doubt it) segregate the community, or require that epic store launch with the steam version like ubi soft games still launch uplay.

joe_zazen

So why is their stock down?

And lets be honest, numbered sequels sell based on how much people liked the predecessor. Will bl3 have the same postlaunch love as 2? IDK

Last edited:
So why is their stock down?

And lets be honest, numbered sequels sell based on how much people liked the predecessor. Will bl3 have the same postlaunch love as 2? IDK
Borderlands Pre-Sequel came out before Borderlands 3 and wasn't very well received if I remember correctly. I think the complaint was it felt very much like a reskinned Borderlands 2 with minor to no improvements and the story was mediocre.

lukilladog

I can´t see that twitter link, but I doubt their PC games can sell a lot on consoles. But assuming it sold well, then we need to double our efforts on informing people why it´s not wise to support that store.

Ps.- But I´m glad it just abandoned Twitch top 20, seeing it at the top for a few days had me worried :messenger_downcast_sweat:

Last edited:

scalman

highest selling PC game on PC ?
you-dont-say-memes-com-14014390.png

Bootyful

Banned
5 milions for what feel like a fucking expansion with the same mediocre gunplay and shitty humor but a great game like control is probably under 500.000 copies.

Gamers :lollipop_sad_relieved:
I bought three copies and I'm about to buy another to gift to you.

Of my current front runner for GOTY, Borderlands 3

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Did someone in their right minds believe otherwise?

Let's be honest those who do not like EGS, are only a small amount of people who believe they are entitled to have the games they like on a different store, most people do not care about it. People will purchase where the game is available, cheaper or free.

Bold is a true statement. Did Epic put this game on the front page with flashing lights?

ethomaz

Banned
If anybody wants to add the PR to the OP.

2.5m on PS4
2.4m on Xbox One
0.1m on PC

I don't actually know, I was just pulling the numbers out of my ass as a joke.
Yeap...

"Fun Fact” began Pitchford, letting us know this is probably a fact which is only fun for him, “On PC, the data is that the launch day peak concurrent players of Borderlands 3 is about *twice-as-high* as the all time peak concurrent players of Borderlands 2. WOW! You guys are great! "

Last edited:

Dada55000

Yep, and consider that the last big release from them was.... Bioshock Infinite back in 2013 (Mafia 3 doesn't count, really).

Lots changed since then, these numbers mean nothing

But yeah, of course, everybody knew that BL3 would sell well, question is: how well?
Mafia 3 shipped 5 million copies in its launch window iirc. Sell-through was I think questionable, but 5 mil to stores is 5 mil. It's like the only real GTA knockoff of the generation, despite it being shit and playing like Godfather the Videogame 3, aka not like a Mafia game at all.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
5 milions for what feel like a fucking expansion with the same mediocre gunplay and shitty humor but a great game like control is probably under 500.000 copies.

Gamers :lollipop_sad_relieved:
DUDE I CAN PLAY THIS WITH MY BROS DAY ONE YOLO

Just because you don't like it doesn't dudebros won't!

MMaRsu

Banned
Normal people mean they do not CARE about silly thing ideology on where they buy game. They buy games to play, not to worry about how they launch the game, nor do they care about friendlist or w/e stupid things steam have.

It has nothing to do with ideology 😂

Sure i dont care about useful functions that make it way easier to play said games

whatever dude u dont even know what ur talking about

lukilladog

Yeap...

"Fun Fact” began Pitchford, letting us know this is probably a fact which is only fun for him, “On PC, the data is that the launch day peak concurrent players of Borderlands 3 is about *twice-as-high* as the all time peak concurrent players of Borderlands 2. WOW! You guys are great! "

That type of data by itself could be very misleading, that´s the nature of peaks in data graphs. It´s suspicious that he isn´t offering more meaningful information.

If anybody wants to add the PR to the OP.

Yeap...

so about 250k on PC according to SteamDB.

How's performance on PC now? I read some worrisome comments.

Pretty decent, still rocking an old 1060 GTX 6GB and get around 80-100 fps on low settings 1080P, fluctuates from 78-90 on medium. That's what it's in game fps counter was giving me.

There's texture pop-in when loading new environments but other than that it's a gorgeous game. I put hundreds of hours into BL2 maxing out two characters and played all of the dlc including Tiny Tina, and I'm absolutely loving BL3. I'm at lvl 34 and almost finished the campaign.

Sentenza

250K players is a pretty big number, actually. And typically the peak of concurrent players ranges between 10 and 20% of the player base near a launch window.
It tends to be a bit higher for highly anticipated games and multiplayer titles, but still, it's very rarely above the 30% of the entire user base.

Conversely, we have absolutely NO WAY to check their peak of concurrent players, we just have to take the man's word for it AND it's Randy Pitchford we are talking about here. He isn't exactly stranger to bullshit when he thinks he makes him look good.
Remember when he claimed that he won the name "GearBox" playing poker against Gabe Newell and so the sad man was "forced to settle just for Valve". Except after he told this story to the press a confused Valve representative had to explain that the two never even met before years later.

Last edited:

Graciaus

Most of those statements aren't really that surprising. It's a very anticipated sequel after quite awhile.

But that reads like pr deflection. Shills gonna eat it up.
Probably around 1m... there is no way to make any claim.
They are talking about concurrent players not sales. BL2 peaked at about 125k however many years ago that was. Considering 6 months ago almost 60k people played BL2 again the x2 number might not be that impressive.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Most of those statements aren't really that surprising. It's a very anticipated sequel after quite awhile.

But that reads like pr deflection. Shills gonna eat it up.

They are talking about concurrent players not sales. BL2 peaked at about 125k however many years ago that was. Considering 6 months ago almost 60k people played BL2 again the x2 number might not be that impressive.
That is why I said probably 1m units sold to have a 250k concurrent players... to be fair you need even more due most players not playing at same time/period.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
It’s a windfall for GB/2k. Upfront money on sales (which they have probably already recouped) from Epic, full price on console as well.

After their exclusive window expires they sell it again for full price on all the other digital pc markets.

Time some new DLC with that broad release and they are looking at a VERY strong Q2-2020.

EGS can be seen as giving developers a path to revenue growth while making their content last longer. Mix that with avoiding the need for fire sales 35 days into executing a marketing plan and it is a fantastic deal for devs/publishers......as long as your game is successful of course.

Last edited:

joe_zazen

I don't see bl3 as a sales winner. It is 14th on top paid xbox, 2k stock is down, and has 13k twitch viewers, just above no name goose game.

Otoh, doesn't look like a genuine AAA open world world 100M budget game, so roi might be fine.

Three

I don't see bl3 as a sales winner. It is 14th on top paid xbox, 2k stock is down, and has 13k twitch viewers, just above no name goose game.

Otoh, doesn't look like a genuine AAA open world world 100M budget game, so roi might be fine.
It's 8th here above GTA5

Tenth biggest video game related seller on amazon

I'd say 5 million sales at launch price in a week is pretty good. I'd consider that a sales winner personally. Didn't Gears 5 get 3 million 'players' in a week?

joe_zazen

It's 8th here above GTA5

Tenth biggest video game related seller on amazon

I'd say 5 million sales at launch price in a week is pretty good. I'd consider that a sales winner personally. Didn't Gears 5 get 3 million 'players' in a week?

Yeah, idk what to make of those pr numbers as they are sell-in and probably include Epic store incentives (guaranteed game sales maybe?). If it is 5M sell through and strait up 70% digital without Epic Store ‘buying’ 2M copies, then yeah. But the MS top paid numbers + stock price tell me it isn't 5M sold through.

Like i said though, it looks like a cheap to make game as far as major releases go, so i doubt Strauss Z. is losing sleep.

Kagey K

Banned
Damn, an immature fart based looter shooter, based on a comic book style can make some people super salty huh?

I can’t imagine that anyone who played BL2, 7 years ago would be unhappy about more of the same, yet here we are.

At this point we have to say most of the salt isn’t about the game itself anymore.

BigAssBoy

I am guessing they are considering all the copies Epic bought by guaranteeing they would be sold are included in those numbers without actually selling that amount on PC.

Kagey K

Banned
A better title would have been, even without Steam Borderlands still kicks ass.

Great games are always going to be great, and it doesn’t matter what game store or launcher you are on people are always going to go where the games are.

Katsura

That does not really tell us a lot though. How would it have sold had it also been on Steam? We'll never know so arguing that this is somehow a win is flawed logic. Also, huge lol at the people claiming it's just another shortcut bro. That's a good way to show the world how tech illiterate you really are

Kagey K

Banned
That does not really tell us a lot though. How would it have sold had it also been on Steam? We'll never know so arguing that this is somehow a win is flawed logic. Also, huge lol at the people claiming it's just another shortcut bro. That's a good way to show the world how tech illiterate you really are
You’re Whole if it was on Steam it might have done better arguement goes out at the same time.

You can’t wash it one way and not the other.

In the end it doesn’t matter, it was a success without steam and will continue without steam. I’m willing to bet when it does release on steam it will be a minor blip.

Katsura

You’re Whole if it was on Steam it might have done better arguement goes out at the same time.

You can’t wash it one way and not the other.

In the end it doesn’t matter, it was a success without steam and will continue without steam. I’m willing to bet when it does release on steam it will be a minor blip.
I'm not though. I'm saying we don't know either way so claiming it's a win is moronic. As for the last part, that's obvious. I'm not even sure why you mention it in this context. It would be the same way the other way around. Is it a success? It seems to be. Could it have been more successful had it launched at all PC stores? We'll never know

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I'm not though. I'm saying we don't know either way so claiming it's a win is moronic. As for the last part, that's obvious. I'm not even sure why you mention it in this context. It would be the same way the other way around
Sure, we can debate that in what of should have would have land.
But we only have the numbers now with what actually happened and they are good.

The fact is Borderlands did great without Steam, and many other games are likely to find as much success, whether you like it or not.

Last edited:

Katsura

Sure, we can debate that in what of should have would have land.
But we only have the numbers now with what actually happened and they are good.
I'm not really sure what your point is here? You're not refuting anything i said

Kagey K

Banned
I'm not really sure what your point is here? You're not refuting anything i said
Good, so we both agree. Steam is not required for being a PC success and any developer that can avoid Steam can make more money for themselves.

I haven’t seen a PC player agree with me so far, so it’s a nice change of pace when I can agree with someone.

b0uncyfr0

Woah, BL3 really doesn't deserve to sell that much. Apart from changing guns every few minutes - nothing has really improved/changed.

Katsura

Good, so we both agree. Steam is not required for being a PC success and any developer that can avoid Steam can make more money for themselves.

I haven’t seen a PC player agree with me so far, so it’s a nice change of pace when I can agree with someone.
I have no horse in this race despite being a PC player since
1. I hate Borderlands
2. I hate Randy Pitchford and would never support anything he is part of
3. I hate AAA games
But sure, obviously games can be a success without launching on Steam. However, the last part of your conclusion is the part that is flawed. Make more money for themselves - that's the part where i'm saying we can't know that

Last edited:

Kagey K

Banned
I have no horse in this race despite being a PC player since
1. I hate Borderlands
2. I hate Randy Pitchford and would never support anything he is part of
3. I hate AAA games
But sure, obviously games can be a success without launching on Steam. However, the last part of your conclusion is the part that is flawed. Make more money for themselves - that's the part where i'm saying we can't know that
Have you ever had fun?

Like one time?

I’m thinking no.

Top Bottom