• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Every Extend Extra website renewal

kenta

Has no PEINS
Uh wow this song rules, I will be leaving this tab open for a while!

Can't wait for this game, I hope there's a demo :(

Demo is ok. More polished-looking graphics than in the original PC game, as you would expect. There's also more of a delay between hitting the button and exploding than I remember, which has thrown me a bit.

john tv

Currently third place in the rankings, LOL. If this had pad support I'd have been in first place with ease. Using the arrow keys to control anything should be illegal...

duckroll

john tv said:
Currently third place in the rankings, LOL. If this had pad support I'd have been in first place with ease. Using the arrow keys to control anything should be illegal...

I gotta wonder though, what the hell are they thinking. It is really EASIER for them to go out of their way to make a fully playable PC version as a demo, than to just PUT THE GODDAMN PSP DEMO THAT THEY ALREADY MADE ONLINE. :lol

Tain

Yeesh, what was that?

Needs a smaller hitbox (seriously, was the original like this?) and more bullets, either way.

The whole thing seems devoid of polish, too. I'd be willing to bet that it's running on EE's engine. ...And, at this point, EE was actually cooler looking and sounding than this demo.

This definitely could be the best Q game yet (all it took was someone else's concept lololo) if the demo is nothing to go by, but, eh, you know.

ZeMMiK

he john TV, when do you think it will be lereased?? (lumors in japan)
(edit..I see AUG 3...at the ploduct rink... DO I read it collectly ?)

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
How long does it take for the high score to be submitted to the leaderboards? I'm just slightly below Johntv's score, but it's not showing up yet.

john tv

SnowWolf said:
How long does it take for the high score to be submitted to the leaderboards? I'm just slightly below Johntv's score, but it's not showing up yet.
It should be instant. I had a couple of scores that wouldn't submit for whatever reason, which is why I kept changing my name (my top score is under the name "8-4"). I had to stop playing yesterday because it started crashing for whatever reason.

Fun game though, I can't get enough.

Brofist

ZeMMiK said:
he john TV, when do you think it will be lereased?? (lumors in japan)
(edit..I see AUG 3...at the ploduct rink... DO I read it collectly ?)

you spelled read wrong, didn't you want to type lead?

reminder

Why does Q Entertainment hate me?

They release an EEE Demo on the Playstaton Spots. Great, here in europe there are no Playstation Spots yet!

They release a ****ing PC Demo. I cannot play it on my ****ing PC!

I just want to play a demo of EEE. On my PSP. Please... :(

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
john tv said:
It should be instant. I had a couple of scores that wouldn't submit for whatever reason, which is why I kept changing my name (my top score is under the name "8-4"). I had to stop playing yesterday because it started crashing for whatever reason.

Fun game though, I can't get enough.

Ok, I'm rank 65 now with 1,450,890 pts. Name is "Snowy" :)

MegaTen

Banned
It's about time the site got updated. Looks like they've made a ton of progress. Can't wait to finally play it next month.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Play-Asia is shipping EEE today! :D

Unfortunately, my PSP is in L.A. so I won't be able to play it for a couple weeks. Has anybody in Japan picked it up yet?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I dont think you need to know Japanese. Someone posted videos of the first 3 levels and it seems like a straight forward game. There was English during gameplay at least

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Finally got ahold of this one...

I went in with trepidation, as I only had limited experience with the freeware release and didn't fully "get" it. However, after spending a good hour with the PSP version, I'm totally there. The game is an absolute blast to play and really does give me that same vibe that Lumines had before. Like Lumines, I can see this becoming a challenge to improve your skills and reach the higher levels/new music. With Lumines, whenever I fell short and lost, I always felt as if I could go back and do it better and would continue to do this until really making progress. EEE is very much the same in that regard and I'm very excited about making my way through it.

Visually, the PSP version looks very nice. Clean, colorful visuals are on tap, but unfortunately, the framerate is only 30 fps (though it still feels very smooth regardless). The music seems to be catchy thus far and works very well with the gameplay.

The game really doesn't seem to be getting much attention on PSP, though...

dark10x

Well, like I said, I only played over lunch break and wasn't familiar with the game before that, so there isn't much I can say just yet. I did the tutorial and then worked on arcade mode.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
This may seem like a silly question, but I'll ask anyway. I watched the "how to play" section, and the demo link on the site is broken (and the Playstation spots in Osaka don't seem to have EEE), yet I can't get a sense for what kind of game it is exactly. Is it closer to something like Rez, or something like Lumines? The How to Play video makes it look more like an action puzzle game rather than a puzzle game like Lumines was.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
TheTrin said:
This may seem like a silly question, but I'll ask anyway. I watched the "how to play" section, and the demo link on the site is broken (and the Playstation spots in Osaka don't seem to have EEE), yet I can't get a sense for what kind of game it is exactly. Is it closer to something like Rez, or something like Lumines? The How to Play video makes it look more like an action puzzle game rather than a puzzle game like Lumines was.

It's closer to Rez than to Lumines, but both aren't good comparisons. It's more like a shmup where instead of firing bullets, you're the bomb itself, and you have to figure out the best opportunities to blow yourself up to destroy as many enemies as you can. You control a character and have to manuever around the playing field to dodge enemies/bullets, but there still are some puzzle elements because scoring chain reactions is a big part of the game.

dark10x

TheTrin said:
I felt the same, but I picked it up pretty quickly (tutorial helped, but it really comes together when actually playing).

OK, let's say you start with 10 lives (basically). You have full control over your movements around the play field via the d-pad or analog pad as well as the ability to blow yourself up. Various shapes and shape patterns basically enter the playing field like a shooter or something and you are tasked with blowing yourself up along with the enemies. Any enemies that are touching each other at time of impact will blow up along with those you hit producing a chain of explosions. Many of those groups have special color enemies as well that, when destroyed, drop bonus items (points, speed-ups, time extensions etc). Everytime you blow yourself up, you lose 1 life. When you earn a certain amount of points, you GAIN a life. So, by blowing up the largest chains as well as collecting points, you'll gain enough points to earn an extend (another life). On top of this, you are on a time limit.

Take the first level; you basically dodge enemies and their attacks while setting up for the largest chains. If you hold the explosion button down, your movement speed is cut in half, but you can charge your explosion. As you increase the speed, the music changes somewhat along with the pace (better for long chains). After a bit, the boss shows up (Tri-Mirai is the first boss). The first boss is a tri-color spinner and text pops up telling you what you have to do at each point. First, you must hit a 5 chain explosion, then a 10 chain, then a 12 chain, and finally a 30 chain before you then have to start taking down his life meter. Obviously, you are losing lives everytime you explode AND the time is counting down. The boss also fires off shoote- like bullet patterns that you must avoid and death without explosion causes you to lose a life AND 5 seconds. You need to keep the chains rolling and the extends coming in order to survive. It sounds very strange, no doubt, but it really is addictive. When you mix the crazy gameplay with an awesome presentation (music and visuals are fantastic), you have something addictive.

I'm very pleased with it.

im seriously considering getting a PSP for this.. but there isnt much else i want on PSP aside UGnG and eventually MGO... :/

i know ill eventually break down... im a Miz junkie

syllogism

So is a full, pc version of this available? Looks like it's psp only, which is pretty silly considering the pc demo. Oh well, at least the original game is free.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
dark10x said:
I felt the same, but I picked it up pretty quickly (tutorial helped, but it really comes together when actually playing).

OK, let's say you start with 10 lives (basically). You have full control over your movements around the play field via the d-pad or analog pad as well as the ability to blow yourself up. Various shapes and shape patterns basically enter the playing field like a shooter or something and you are tasked with blowing yourself up along with the enemies. Any enemies that are touching each other at time of impact will blow up along with those you hit producing a chain of explosions. Many of those groups have special color enemies as well that, when destroyed, drop bonus items (points, speed-ups, time extensions etc). Everytime you blow yourself up, you lose 1 life. When you earn a certain amount of points, you GAIN a life. So, by blowing up the largest chains as well as collecting points, you'll gain enough points to earn an extend (another life). On top of this, you are on a time limit.

Take the first level; you basically dodge enemies and their attacks while setting up for the largest chains. If you hold the explosion button down, your movement speed is cut in half, but you can charge your explosion. As you increase the speed, the music changes somewhat along with the pace (better for long chains). After a bit, the boss shows up (Tri-Mirai is the first boss). The first boss is a tri-color spinner and text pops up telling you what you have to do at each point. First, you must hit a 5 chain explosion, then a 10 chain, then a 12 chain, and finally a 30 chain before you then have to start taking down his life meter. Obviously, you are losing lives everytime you explode AND the time is counting down. The boss also fires off shoote- like bullet patterns that you must avoid and death without explosion causes you to lose a life AND 5 seconds. You need to keep the chains rolling and the extends coming in order to survive. It sounds very strange, no doubt, but it really is addictive. When you mix the crazy gameplay with an awesome presentation (music and visuals are fantastic), you have something addictive.

Sounds really cool. I'll think about picking this up. Reminds me a lot of Rez.

Bebpo

Banned
dark10x said:

Hey, can you give some strategies for beating bosses. I can't deal with it because there's just too much going on. I move around trying to find a chain to start and I get hit by bullets, I dodge bullets and I run into some crystals, I charge up my bomb looking for the right moment and it blows up on its own; I just can't multi-task to the degree bosses expect of me and so I find it extremely tough and I can't get anywhere. Need tips :(

dark10x said:

Cool, this sounds fun. I like the idea of using up a life in scoring points, so that you have to balance the life lost in exploding with the points you can gain from it. That's a novel mechanic.

thetrin

I'm using the lightstream girl wallpaper now. Very classy stuff. :) I'm going to try picking this up today.

Top Bottom