• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Every Extend Extra website renewal

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Bebpo said:
Hey, can you give some strategies for beating bosses. I can't deal with it because there's just too much going on. I move around trying to find a chain to start and I get hit by bullets, I dodge bullets and I run into some crystals, I charge up my bomb looking for the right moment and it blows up on its own; I just can't multi-task to the degree bosses expect of me and so I find it extremely tough and I can't get anywhere. Need tips :(
It's tough to say, exactly, but you really just have to be patient. Dodge like your playing a shooter until there are a decent number of objects on screen (or charge if you see slower ones on the way) and then simply wait until one of the slower ones is touching the boss and let it go. Once you've completed the combo challenges, you simply need to set up for a massive explosion to kill him.

One very important thing is the quicken power-up. You need to perform well during the stage and be above 50% quicken. If you can do this, the objects come much faster and in larger numbers making it much easier to destroy the bosses. Sometimes you simply have to sacrifice yourself if you can't dodge everything, however, as it is better to blow up and lose a life than simply lose a life and 5 seconds.

Which boss is giving you trouble?

Bebpo

Banned
dark10x said:
It's tough to say, exactly, but you really just have to be patient. Dodge like your playing a shooter until there are a decent number of objects on screen (or charge if you see slower ones on the way) and then simply wait until one of the slower ones is touching the boss and let it go. Once you've completed the combo challenges, you simply need to set up for a massive explosion to kill him.

One very important thing is the quicken power-up. You need to perform well during the stage and be above 50% quicken. If you can do this, the objects come much faster and in larger numbers making it much easier to destroy the bosses. Sometimes you simply have to sacrifice yourself if you can't dodge everything, however, as it is better to blow up and lose a life than simply lose a life and 5 seconds.

Which boss is giving you trouble?

the first one ;_;

And yes I've done all the tutorials and they were easy, as was the first level. I get to the boss with like 14 lives and I still can't beat it

Baron

Has any publisher picked up Every Extend Extra for release in North America yet? Wondering if I should pick up the Jpn version or wait for a possible NA release.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Baron said:
Has any publisher picked up Every Extend Extra for release in North America yet? Wondering if I should pick up the Jpn version or wait for a possible NA release.
BVG. :\

I'll buy this to play some more E2 if BVG doesn't change the music, otherwise I'm sticking with E2.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I`m really tempted to go pick this up during my off time at work today. I still have medals to get in Tengoku, though...choices choices.

john tv

Bebpo said:
the first one ;_;

And yes I've done all the tutorials and they were easy, as was the first level. I get to the boss with like 14 lives and I still can't beat it
You suck. :)

Are you following the rules? In other words, do you understand that you need to hit it with a chain longer than the number posted on the screen in order to hurt it?

If it says you need a chain of 5 or more, you have to start a chain and make sure the chain runs to at least 5 BEFORE it hits the boss; you can't have it run through the boss and then have it get the 5th hit -- it needs to hit 5, THEN strike the boss in order for the attack to be effective. The first boss is -super- easy so the only explanation I can think of is that maybe you were missing this point. Maybe try it again with this in mind?

Lee N

Membre
ZeMMiK said:
Anyone else already have it??
My copy of the game arrived at the post office today, I just gotta find the energy to walk there (it's a few kilometres back and forth ;)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I hopped by a couple game stores here in Japan during my free time at work. Curiously, not a single store even had the game on display, let alone in stock. When I asked if they had the game, they said it hadn`t even arrived at their store yet.

Half of them didn`t even know such a game existed.

Maybe I`ll have better luck when I check my far superior local game store, tonight.

DCharlie

Banned
Are you following the rules? In other words, do you understand that you need to hit it with a chain longer than the number posted on the screen in order to hurt it?

If it says you need a chain of 5 or more, you have to start a chain and make sure the chain runs to at least 5 BEFORE it hits the boss; you can't have it run through the boss and then have it get the 5th hit -- it needs to hit 5, THEN strike the boss in order for the attack to be effective. The first boss is -super- easy so the only explanation I can think of is that maybe you were missing this point. Maybe try it again with this in mind?

yeah, EEE is a weird game - and i'm not sure it does a great job of helping you click, but holy frig when you DO click ... WHAT a game! :)

thetrin

DCharlie said:
yeah, EEE is a weird game - and i'm not sure it does a great job of helping you click, but holy frig when you DO click ... WHAT a game! :)

Dammit Dcharlie, I still can`t find a copy in any store. :(

DCharlie

Banned
you´re not at akihabara then?? ......strange...

ha ha - yeah, even my local store has second hand copies already! ;)

OH can i just add a big WTF regarding putting a fake black sticky pad thing with text on the front cover? I think Jonnyram might have beaten me to this rant, but seriously... which clown decided ruining the cover would be a good idea?

Lee N

Membre
DCharlie said:
OH can i just add a big WTF regarding putting a fake black sticky pad thing with text on the front cover? I think Jonnyram might have beaten me to this rant, but seriously... which clown decided ruining the cover would be a good idea?
.. not that the cover was all that sexy to begin with. But still.. WHAT? WHY?!

everyextenextra.jpg

Lee N

Membre
I can't seem to beat
 the second boss where I need a chain of 47.. i always run out of time 

Is there an Asian region release of this coming out soon? Those seem to run $10 or so cheaper at Play-Asia, but I don't see one listed.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Bebpo, if you're still having problems with the first boss, check this video out for some hints:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=I250DxvuXUM

The videos of the first 3 stages are posted on Youtube as well, full length

Also, I've uploaded a game save to gamefaqs.com with levels 1-7 unlocked if anyone wants to cheat

Jonnyram

Actually, I did not know that the chains had to get to that number before hitting the boss. That will help a lot. Thanks for the pointer, John!
I'd gotten to the 4th boss without knowing that though, so I don't know what's up with Bebpo ;)

DCharlie

Banned
you don't need a chain of 47!

read the text - you have to just hit the boss with 47 chained hits.

You usually have to "GET 5 chain" "GET 12 chain" then it switches to something like "hit for 47"

you just need to have secondary explosions hit the boss 47 times.
once you click this, the game becomes a darn sight easier!

thetrin

FINALLY found a copy of the game at one of my local stores. The big black sticky note on the cover is a huge wtf.

Talk about a cover ruining piece of crap.

Haven`t cracked it open. Will probably do so when I have a few minutes free at work.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Getting a chain of 47 in 1 go nets you higher points though :)

I think the game is finally clicking for me, I just got a couple SSS rankings on my last play through. This game actually does have strategy but it's not very obvious. Like Lumines, I'm finding myself getting better at the game each time I play it. I think this may end up being one of my favorite games this year. Initally I thought this game sucked...

What's everyone's highest max chain so far? I got around 120 on my last run, my highest yet

Also, Every Extend mode on hard mode is...HARD. The boss you get changes but I'm not sure what the criteria is, but I got this one where you have to do a 40+ hit SINGLE COMBO.

thetrin

Just popped the game in between classes, and took it for a test drive.

WOW.

I`m loving the game. At first I was blowing ass, so I decided to hit up the tutorial, and then try again. Tried the arcade mode. Passed Melatonin Drive (stage 5) and then decided to call it quits to do some paperwork (...which I`m still not doing :S). Highest chain was 47. It was my first try. :|

I noticed on the stage map that there are multiple paths. What is the criteria for getting those different stages?

I`m getting into the groove with this game. Unlike Lumines, which I never really ever got better at, I`m getting into the groove with this game the way I got into the groove with Rez (now able to get the pink butterfly ending in my sleep). I still make silly mistakes and die sometimes, but DAMN. Cave shooter playing definitely makes this game easier. The bullets are few and far between, and when they`re everywhere, you can just desperately explode and take a bunch of guys with you.

People need to give this game a chance. Everyone on #ga was ragging on it last night, despite never playing it, and I find that kind of sad. The game needs to be played. **** the 2500 unit sales. This game needs to be played.

How are the explosions compared with the freeware game? I've seen some gameplay footage in which there didn't seem to that gratifying effect of nice explosions causing other objects to go of. Or does it depend one the skins?

thetrin

PjotrStroganov said:
How are the explosions compared with the freeware game? I've seen some gameplay footage in which there didn't seem to that gratifying effect of nice explosions causing other objects to go of. Or does it depend one the skins?

Yep. In one level, the explosions were really well done fireworks, while another used translucent black cubes for explosions. It totally depends on the level you`re on.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
PjotrStroganov said:
Yeah, it depends on the skin. The fireworks explosions were ULTRA cool looking. :)

Lee N

Membre
Ok, the game is starting to click for me too now, got up to Melatonin Drive on a single credit. My max chain so far is 48.

This game is so awesome, boggles my mind that it didn't even sell 2500 copies in Japan at launch.

john tv

Wario64 said:
Alpha and Omega levels: how do these get unlocked?
Play well. The higher the ranking you get on each stage, the higher you move through the level tree. I think you need an A, if not S (or SS?) to take the higher route after each stage. If you can keep that up all the way through, you'll reach the extra stages.

thetrin

john tv said:
Play well. The higher the ranking you get on each stage, the higher you move through the level tree. I think you need an A, if not S (or SS?) to take the higher route after each stage. If you can keep that up all the way through, you'll reach the extra stages.

Yea, it's A. I just got up to the higher version of Nostalgia after an A on Sakura.

The improvements I'm making in this game are palpable. I got very frustrated in Lumines because I never really ever got better. This, is a totally different story.

john tv

Jonnyram said:
Actually, I did not know that the chains had to get to that number before hitting the boss. That will help a lot. Thanks for the pointer, John!
I'd gotten to the 4th boss without knowing that though, so I don't know what's up with Bebpo ;)
Haha. No problem.

Another tip -- you'll know this if you read the tutorial, but it's probably not obvious for overseas players: If you want to get your Quicken gauge up to 7 or 8, you need to stop collecting them when it reaches 5, then try to get 2 or 3 more on-screen at once -before- picking them up. Once you reach 6, they stop appearing.

8 Quickens on some of the later stages = mass hysteria. My highest chain is over 150 (might be close to 200; need to check).

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
john tv said:

If you get a C ranking on one stage, is it all over? Because I got a bad ranking on stage 4, but I was able to bounce back to the "4th level tree" by the time I got to the 7th stage...still no go though. I also had to use a credit or two if that matters

Also, I noticed that some of the boss forms change in different paths? The boss on stage 5 had some different forms, not sure if it was just my imagination.

Quickens speeds up the tempo of the music and brings shitloads of stuff to blow up (which is what you want)

Also, I'm not sure if anyone else has been using this but you can set where you want to explode by holding the circle button THEN holding the L/R buttons. Basically, you can hold your explosion area but move your actual avatar at the same time. A bit hard to use though cause you have to know before hand where you want to explode

john tv

Wario64 said:
If you get a C ranking on one stage, is it all over? Because I got a bad ranking on stage 4, but I was able to bounce back to the "4th level tree" by the time I got to the 7th stage...still no go though. I also had to use a credit or two if that matters
I'm not actually sure on the specifics with that, but I wouldn't be surprised if it knocks you for continuing. I know whenever I unlocked stuff it was when I got high rankings straight through and didn't continue (I actually never continue, because if you do, it doesn't let you register your high score).

Wario64 said:
Also, I'm not sure if anyone else has been using this but you can set where you want to explode by holding the circle button THEN holding the L/R buttons. Basically, you can hold your explosion area but move your actual avatar at the same time. A bit hard to use though cause you have to know before hand where you want to explode
Yeah, you can break away from the core by holding L or R when you charge up to detonate; it's a neat technique but I rarely ever use it much myself, except against a couple of the bosses (usually they'll aim their fire at the core, rather than the frame).

thetrin

So I got to, and defeated the alpha stage boss last night. I'm sure other people have as well, but I thought I'd share the hilarity of it. All the enemies in this stage are shaped like katakana in a humorous font, and the music in the background is Dragostea Din Tei remixed (that terrible numa numa song). The funniest part is that the boss is actually the word "Maiahi" (a word repeated several times in the actual numa song) in katakana, tossing bullets at you.

So now I have to work towards unlocking omega stage. Difficult stuff. :|

thetrin

Marconelly said:
Is there a level in the game that is styled like this?

211016345_84726b3723_m.jpg

Exactly like that? Hmm, perhaps. I haven't played the omega stage yet. The other stages are very very stylized, but in vastly different ways in each case.

thetrin

Sorry, I can`t help you, yet, Wario. I don`t get youtube at work. :(

Has anyone else finished alpha, btw? Did anyone notice that Techno Drive is SO an homage to Rez? I`m just curious if anyone else experienced the Dragostea Din Tei hilarity.

thetrin

john tv said:
Nah, that's not it, unfortunately.

Have you hit Omega yet, john? I`m not quite uber enough to make it there yet.

Bebpo

Banned
john tv said:
You suck. :)

Yeah, I did the tutorial and I know how the boss works but I just couldn't handle the stuff. If I'm actively looking for chains and trying to set them up just when they'll end up hitting the boss at the end then I die by bullets or running into crystals since I'm not paying attention defensively. I guess my problem is that I can either be in defensive mode or offensive mode and EEE asks me to be in both at the same time. Traditionally in shmups you're always in defensive mode on bosses and just holding shot down while navigating the bullets. EEE just breaks my brain I guess.

Then again I only tried the game once for about 45 mins, but I continued 4-5 times on that boss and never was able to beat him >_<

thetrin

Bebpo said:
Yeah, I did the tutorial and I know how the boss works but I just couldn't handle the stuff. If I'm actively looking for chains and trying to set them up just when they'll end up hitting the boss at the end then I die by bullets or running into crystals since I'm not paying attention defensively. I guess my problem is that I can either be in defensive mode or offensive mode and EEE asks me to be in both at the same time. Traditionally in shmups you're always in defensive mode on bosses and just holding shot down while navigating the bullets. EEE just breaks my brain I guess.

Then again I only tried the game once for about 45 mins, but I continued 4-5 times on that boss and never was able to beat him >_<

Here`s what might help. Wait for a wave of the appropriate number enemies to show up. Then, get behind them, and blow up. As long as you`re behind them, the chain SHOULD hit the right chain number by the time it reaches the boss. Also, try to keep a lot of quickens on you. It makes boss fights a cakewalk.

Btw, the alpha boss is a little TOO easy. If you get in the middle of its 4 parts, it spews lines of enemies at you. If you blow up before they touch you, it chains back to the boss and hits each part for about 20-25 damage.

Top Bottom