• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Every Xbox One Includes a Chat Headset!! + Xbox One Day One Unboxing

When did Larry become such an obnoxious shill?

He's always sort of moved closer and closer to becoming one, and finally transitioned completely during the DRM crap. He's pretty much just a talking head doing advertising for MS now. His objectiveness is absent.

EDIT: And I mean to say he managed to put on an almost-journalistic mask in the past, but not too much nowadays. I hear he's a nice man in person though. A job's a job.

nitrofeen

Banned
They had to spend money on these headsets and include them into the 499usd pricing, so if anything it hurt their wallet to include them. MS did what any smart company would do by listening to the consumers and providing something they wanted at no additional cost to them.

Companies like ms listen to consumers to get their money more then to give them what they wanted. They are looking at the bigger picture which is moving as many systems as they can. If they need to add a headset to get more pre-orders then they will and did. Its pretty obvious at this point with all the changes they are making that the decisions being made are fear driven of losing next gen but if fan boys want to believe the head sets are just a gift then by all means think away. I mean cmon we are talking about a company that made claims the cloud will make one xbox one as powerful as 3 xbox ones but yet they go out of their way to boost the gpu a whopping 53mhz and they did so not for gamers but to move systems.

Bsigg12

No. Not "Really?" that people wanted it. It was more like "Really? What were we thinking?"

It's a long story.

You should write a book on the process of bringing the Xbox One together. The book about making the original Xbox was fascinating and with all the craziness surround the Xbox One, it would tell for a good story.

MS PR working overtime lately. Sony has been relatively quiet. :)

Sony's PR *coughShuheicough* doesn't cough out the details unless you prod him for questions.

Sony's always been a boogeyman when it comes to these kind of things, probably in due to their SCEA/SCEE/SCEJ structure.

Vire

and what does he do specificly to make you think this?
Overly aggressive and very loud. Comes off as a used cars salesman.

Be more casual about it, take your time and have a conversation with the customer.

Also, why does the Xbone have an external power supply when it is 1/3 bigger than the PS4 and is less powerful? Not only that... PS4's PSU is internal.

farisr

No. Not "Really?" that people wanted it. It was more like "Really? What were we thinking?"

It's a long story.

I'm guessing something along the lines of you guys completely forgot about some of the stuff that actually happens in online chat/games, and you were so focused on the overall feature set, you guys went "well we already have the things a headset provides, like voice chat can be done through the kinect, and the audio coming in can be done through the speakers so there's no problem not including a headset in the bundle."

TheJCAbr

Banned
He's always sort of moved closer and closer to becoming one, and finally transitioned completely during the DRM crap. He's pretty much just a talking head doing advertising for MS now. His objectiveness is absent.
Oh did he?! He works for Microsoft, please just stop that bs.

Be more casual about it, take your time and have a conversation with the customer.

Also, why does the Xbone have an external power supply when it is 1/3 bigger than the PS4 and is less powerful? Not only that... PS4's PSU is internal.

Product design choices. Simple as that. They don't want another RROD-like problem.

Furyous

This is a great video. I won't use the DVR functions because I'm a cord cutter.

Does anyone know when Microsoft will clarifiy their stance on recording features being a part of Gold subscriptions? Is it recording and uploading or just recording?

I'm not a fanboy or paid shill for etiher company and just want to know.

The guy is an MS employee, I expect to hear information about MS products from him. I don't understand how anyone would expect objectiveness in such a scenario. It's not like he hides it or anything, he's a promoter for the Xbox brand

Scooby

Be nice to Larry. I know you guys hate him, but he really is a great guy. Doing what he does is hard – being filmed, trying to be concise, trying to be personable and “official”. It’s rough. I guarantee if any of you could spend 10min with him face-to-face, you’d get what I’m saying. That’s my plug for Larry.

Larry is awesome. Played some BF3 a while ago with him and he was just really cool to talk to. I don't get the hate he gets from people

FHIZ

When did Larry become such an obnoxious shill?

I think after this E3... some of those interviews and responses to all of Xbox's shit, man. Especially the "are you an engineer?" response to the "Why can't you just turn the DRM off" question... then of course, the DRM gets turned off. I just can't even begin to take him seriously anymore.

derFeef

EDIT: And I mean to say he managed to put on an almost-journalistic mask in the past, but not too much nowadays. I hear he's a nice man in person though. A job's a job.

Those posts are both hilarious and sad. The offensiveness some of you put toward that man is really embarassing.

Krixeus

Good unboxing, though it felt a bit rushed. Maybe this is just a cultural thing, but I liked how Iwata did the unboxing of the WiiU where he acted very respectful to the consumers (even though it didn't really help in the sales department regardless).

farisr

This is a great video. I won't use the DVR functions because I'm a cord cutter.

Does anyone know when Microsoft will clarifiy their stance on recording features being a part of Gold subscriptions? Is it recording and uploading or just recording?

I'm not a fanboy or paid shill for etiher company and just want to know.

I'm guessing they'll go over more details in the gamescom showcase.

I love Twitter.

jdvpRRk3GHLnf.png

EvB

IR Blaster. Kinect has and IR blaster array built in. Can turn on your TV, Cable Box, etc. so when you say “Xbox On” it will actually power your equipment, switch inputs, etc. (I know, TV TV TV but when you get to see it, you’ll understand.)

That's cool, I recently got a Wii-U and simply being able to use the pad as an universal remote is actually really handy as it's virtually impossible to lose that thing.

What control will I be able to have over my regular TV if I'm not routing it through the Xbox one? as I don't think that service is available in my country to start with.

nitrofeen

Banned
why do people keep saying the brick is still being used b/c ms doesnt want another rrod problem. The RROD had nothing to do with the psu and obviously a brick didnt help prevent it

farisr

I think after this E3... some of those interviews and responses to all of Xbox's shit, man. Especially the "are you an engineer?" response to the "Why can't you just turn the DRM off" question... then of course, the DRM gets turned off. I just can't even begin to take him seriously anymore.

Dude, he works for MS. He's gonna make apologies for what MS is doing, or avoid questions, and talk up the product. That's what employees do. Though I can say I don't like the way he comes off in presentations, but I'm sure he's a good person (heck even Angry Joe was saying that Larry's a good guy and all, he actually met the person rather than just watched him on 3-5 minute videos like most of us). Even I would probably come off that way too if I had to work with what he has had to work with the last few months.

Anyways, I haven't taken him "seriously" for a while though, and I mean pretty much since the beginning of this gen (just look at the ps3 vs 360 stuff he released back before the ps3 came out). He's going to play up MS and the Xbox as that is his job. Still enjoy some of the stuff he does, and he is a good source for official details for Xbox.

Barzul

The posts about Major Nelson being a "shill" are embarrassing to read. It's his job people.

Why does this even need to be explained?
I know right. Major Nelson is a paid shill, that's basically his job description as MS main PR guy. And there's nothing wrong with that imo.

Glad this is finally out. Headset going in wasn’t really a backpedal so much as a collective “Really?” internally. At some point I hope to share the story behind that, but it’s not a 180 the way you guys think about. Doesn’t matter – I’m just glad we put it in.

IR Blaster. Kinect has and IR blaster array built in. Can turn on your TV, Cable Box, etc. so when you say “Xbox On” it will actually power your equipment, switch inputs, etc. (I know, TV TV TV but when you get to see it, you’ll understand.). As someone pointed out, if for some reason your setup doesn’t work with Kinect IR blasting, you can get a cable and connect to the port in the back.

Storage is about HDD space. This is a generic disclaimer. You lose some of the 500gb in formatting (just like every HDD), and we reserve some space. No different than 360 or PS3. It’s just a legal disclaimer, no shenanigans going on.

Be nice to Larry. I know you guys hate him, but he really is a great guy. Doing what he does is hard – being filmed, trying to be concise, trying to be personable and “official”. It’s rough. I guarantee if any of you could spend 10min with him face-to-face, you’d get what I’m saying. That’s my plug for Larry.

4K rated HDMI cable – you can blame me for that. My point was, we have in fact tested this cable against 4K, and made sure we didn’t get EMI interference with our internal radios. So I wanted people to be confident it wasn’t a POS generic HDMI cable – to make it work great, you need to test it with the system you ship, to make sure at full resolution you’re not getting any interference.

By the way – wouldn’t it technically be Xbox ONE EIGHTY?

If this is what I think it is, then this is absolutely killer! Talk about value! Al (I doubt people call you "Albert"), I know you can't say much, but I have a $200 Logitech Harmony remote in my Amazon wish list. If I were going to buy an Xbox One, can I remove that remote from my wish list?

Secondly, is the Kinect IR blaster programmable by the end user?

This guy Larry.

If you are not American, he just makes the whole Xbox brand even more alienating. I don't understand where he is coming from or have any reference point with guys that are similar to him.

He makes Xbox seem a million miles away from what I am as a gamer.

Sonson21

Banned
Well adding the headset is good news, I still think they should adjust the price a bit. 449.99 sounds good to me. Doubt they'll do something like that though. Honestly the $100 difference between PS4 and X1 is the only reason I'm still on the fence about which one to get. I'm a huge cheapskate.

nitrofeen

Banned
Dude, he works for MS. He's gonna make apologies for what MS is doing, or avoid questions, and talk up the product. That's what employees do. Though I can say I don't like the way he comes off in presentations, but I would probably come off that way too if I had to work with what he has had to work with the last few months.

Anyways, I haven't taken him "seriously" for a while though, and I mean pretty much since the beginning of this gen (just look at the ps3 vs 360 stuff he released back before the ps3 came out). But I'm sure he's a good person (heck even Angry Joe was saying that Larry's a good guy and all, he actually met the person rather than just watched him on 3-5 minute videos like most of us).

All true but its kinda hard to tell if someone is a good person in 10 minutes and at a huge public event

Proelite

This guy Larry.

If you are not American, he just makes the whole Xbox brand even more alienating. I don't understand where he is coming from or have any reference point with guys that are similar to him.

Consoles are judged based on the affability of its PR head and not on its line-up.

I think I've read it all.

People need to grow the hell up! Major Nelson seems like an nice guy.

I know it's frowned upon on these forums, but I can't wait to get my hands on my X1. Would love to see a Video on the UI now.

madmackem

Im so glad they 180 on the headset, i had nightmares of live filled with people shouting through their kinects with all the noice from the tv and the people in the living room coming through my tv set.

RayMaker

Banned

you must of met some very timid cars salesmen.

What do you expect him do be all quit and stuff.

He has to be clear and precise so people know what he's talking about.

he might have not of been as quiet as iwata in his unboxing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObtdKFuzCuA

but thats only because he is different as a person to iwata , who has different mannerisms, speech , language, personality etc.

If your dont like someones approach to something just because they are different to you or your liking, I think your going to come against many obstacles in your life.

Razdek

Banned
This guy Larry.

I bet you're a million miles away from me as a gamer as well. The unboxing was to show you what was in the box and I didn't feel like there was anything offensive or shilling about it.

Alx

That IR blaster feature is nice, I didn't know about that. There's some nice potential for living room control there, I hope it will be widely supported.
Oh and although I don't really follow Major Nelson, I'll still have a nice thought for him. He's doing a hard job indeed, and I wouldn't want to be in his place for all of Bill Gates's money, having to deal daily with the whole internet crowd.

Dramos

I really hope they do a vídeo about it really soon...

You know what would be awesome for the XB1 UI? A notification center which will allow you to look at specific number of custom app notifications, game invites, in-progess game achievements, messaging, quick control settings (kinect, sound, etc.), ms news, etc.

MS is supposedly implementing a notification center for the next WP platform/update. I wouldn't see why they can't add this behind the XB1 UI.

Top Bottom