• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Every Xbox One Includes a Chat Headset!! + Xbox One Day One Unboxing

This guy Larry.

If you are not American, he just makes the whole Xbox brand even more alienating. I don't understand where he is coming from or have any reference point with guys that are similar to him.

He makes Xbox seem a million miles away from what I am as a gamer.

Is English not your first language? Because from what I saw from this video, there was absolutely nothing American about it. Its an unboxing of a fucking gaming console, not a political speech.

p3tran

Banned
Glad this is finally out. Headset going in wasn’t really a backpedal so much as a collective “Really?” internally. At some point I hope to share the story behind that, but it’s not a 180 the way you guys think about. Doesn’t matter – I’m just glad we put it in.

IR Blaster. Kinect has and IR blaster array built in. Can turn on your TV, Cable Box, etc. so when you say “Xbox On” it will actually power your equipment, switch inputs, etc. (I know, TV TV TV but when you get to see it, you’ll understand.). As someone pointed out, if for some reason your setup doesn’t work with Kinect IR blasting, you can get a cable and connect to the port in the back.

Storage is about HDD space. This is a generic disclaimer. You lose some of the 500gb in formatting (just like every HDD), and we reserve some space. No different than 360 or PS3. It’s just a legal disclaimer, no shenanigans going on.

Be nice to Larry. I know you guys hate him, but he really is a great guy. Doing what he does is hard – being filmed, trying to be concise, trying to be personable and “official”. It’s rough. I guarantee if any of you could spend 10min with him face-to-face, you’d get what I’m saying. That’s my plug for Larry.

4K rated HDMI cable – you can blame me for that. My point was, we have in fact tested this cable against 4K, and made sure we didn’t get EMI interference with our internal radios. So I wanted people to be confident it wasn’t a POS generic HDMI cable – to make it work great, you need to test it with the system you ship, to make sure at full resolution you’re not getting any interference.

By the way – wouldn’t it technically be Xbox ONE EIGHTY?

Hello friend!

Just make sure there is no internal collective "Really?" about the current non-possibility to physically detach kinect from the xbox, if/when I decide to do so.

I have no problem getting a kinect with the console, but only as long as I get to choose when to plug it in.

Redshirt

Banned
Does anyone know what the "day one code for a digital exclusive" is about?

Is he just referring to the Day One achievement?

Rat Salad

Banned
Pretty cool unveiling. Love all the ports in the back of the X1. Ofcourse Sony fans take it upon themselves by disling the video on that youtube page. LOL. Always have to show their ass. No class. The rude replies there are stunningly ignorant,wow. i should clerify abit: i was speaking about those youtube comments. Its the wild wild west over there! Gaf its more civil ofcourse.

Apath

Power button is damn classy though.

ibm8iUu0biIjVU.png

Nice power brick.

ibojKxsXuOitW8.png
Touch power buttons are the worst thing to ever exist, especially in such an accessible position. My cat turns on my 360 just by whipping her tail as she walks across my entertainment unit, barely grazing the disc eject button and turning on my 360/pushing the disc tray out.
This along with the fact that it's designed to be on as much as your AV equipment. This is a first for game consoles.
That's actually a good point.

You know what would be awesome for the XB1 UI? A notification center which will allow you to look at specific number of custom app notifications, game invites, in-progess game achievements, messaging, quick control settings (kinect, sound, etc.), ms news, etc.

MS is supposedly implementing a notification center for the next WP platform/update. I wouldn't see why they can't add this behind the XB1 UI.

The shell behind each of the major operating systems are very different :)

WP Shell =!= Windows Shell =!= Xbox Shell

WP has aligned with the same core of windows, and from the pr it seems like xbox has at least done something similar. Even if WP is doing that, it probably wouldn't be just a simple port job.

LGom09

Touch power buttons are the worst thing to ever exist, especially in such an accessible position. My cat turns on my 360 just by whipping her tail as she walks across my entertainment unit, barely grazing the disc eject button and turning on my 360/pushing the disc tray out.
Yep, hate that on the 360 Slim. My TV also has those buttons and they are the worst.

ari

Banned
Pretty cool unveiling. Love all the ports in the back of the X1. Ofcourse Sony fans take it upon themselves by disling the video on that youtube page. LOL. Always have to show their ass. No class. The rude replies there are stunningly ignorant,wow.
Why the fuck would anyone dislike the video? Lol. Console wars. Pathetic.

Putting a USB port on the side is probably the most asinine place to put it.

Why in the world would you put it on the side??

I'll never be able to access that....

So I assume you've carved out a cubby hole in your wall where you'll place your console so that it's flush with the wall?

Otherwise, not sure if serious.

Not saying it's not the right move, but do these guys have any pride left?

What's pride have to do with this reversal? It would make more sense to have said that regarding the exclusion of the headset after two consoles being packaged with one and proving why its existence is pretty much mandatory for a thriving online community.

They'd have even less pride if they kept that decision lol

how do you have a box that big and not incorporate a PSU inside the box?

So I assume you've carved out a cubby hole in your wall where you'll place your console so that it's flush with the wall?

Otherwise, not sure if serious.

he's right, it might not be flush with the wall but there is a reason why all the devices in my cabinet have front facing usb slots. my 360 sits next to my PS3 and there simply isn't any room to plug a usb in the side.

I guess it works if you have a setup like this. lol

Rat Salad

Banned
Damn the console really does look abit like a big cable box don't it. Good thing it plays games like TitanFall and Forza 5 :) Wish Sony would do a youtube out of the box unveiling also,just to see the console upclose at this point in time.

The shell behind each of the major operating systems are very different :)

WP Shell =!= Windows Shell =!= Xbox Shell

WP has aligned with the same core of windows, and from the pr it seems like xbox has at least done something similar. Even if WP is doing that, it probably wouldn't be just a simple port job.

Well, Microsoft did sign a deal with Unity for Xbox One and also WP8; would that make porting somewhat easier to do between platforms?

FinKL

I thought I was the only one. The touch buttons on my samsung monitor are annoying as hell.

Same, it's not a deal breaker though since it's just the power button. I like physical buttons, but I don't think I've ever gotten up to physically turn on my 360 since a controller can do the job.

Dragon

Banned
how do you have a box that big and not incorporate a PSU inside the box?

Microsoft is not a hardware company.

Rlod fear precautions?

Perhaps, although surely there's a ton of empty space in that thing. And it's not like the processor they're using is an i15 or something!

With voice?

No? I wouldn't want it to either. I'm just saying being impressed with "Xbox On" it's pretty silly IMO. I can call someone on my phone without tapping a button too, it's not that impressive. The stuff built around the ecosystem, all the hardware dedicated to background tasks is much more interesting to me.

spirity

I'm glad they're really trying to win people back. Definitely steps in the right direction.

My problem is the fact that they wanted to take those steps in the first place. I'm admittedly a pc gamer and as such not really interested in the new consoles, but all the stuff I've heard coming from the Msft camp the past 6 months has been really bad. I don't know if it was all down to Mattrick (I sincerely doubt that) but I hope there's been a shake up, because some of the features of this console were downright insulting, and the backlash was 100% deserved. Sony's E3 was the most astonishing F.U. I've ever seen, and all Sony did was say "we won't be dicks to you".

Anyway, keep on keeping on Msft. Nobody really needs a 1 horse race.

Withnail

IR Blaster. Kinect has and IR blaster array built in. Can turn on your TV, Cable Box, etc. so when you say “Xbox On” it will actually power your equipment, switch inputs, etc. (I know, TV TV TV but when you get to see it, you’ll understand.).

Why does that need an IR blaster? The PS3 can turn on my tv and switch inputs today using only the HDMI cable.

Apath

Good thing Microsoft fans have Sony!

Otherwise things like this would never happen!
Hooray for competition? Situations like these are the reason why people's thoughts of wanting Microsoft to leave the console space are idiotic; it's cutting off your nose to spite your face. Could you imagine where Sony's online infrastructure would be without the XBOX 360? We all know XBOX wouldn't even exist without Sony.

Competition is good.

medze

Good on them. Nice to see they included the 25$ headset and not a cheaper little bluetooth one. The inclusion of kinect isn't a problem for me as long as it can be disconnected. Doesn't look like this is gonna happen at this point when the marketing is already starting to roll out. Hopefully they change their minds about that and I could see myself buying this in a couple years after some price drops.

Even though Microsoft made it clear what their "vision" is for next-gen, which was pretty offensive to a lot of gamers, it at least seems that they're trying to move in the right direction.

I bet you're a million miles away from me as a gamer as well. The unboxing was to show you what was in the box and I didn't feel like there was anything offensive or shilling about it.

Well I hope so.

But I do find some commonality with Shuhei Yoshida or Mark Cerny. But all the Xbox team...Jesus Christ.

Dragon

Banned

Rat Salad

Banned

I can dig someone having a preference but to outright attack with so much venom there at YouTube? The replies there are golden,wow. Those guys don't have to like Microsoft but they'd better be thankful theyre around. It keeps Sony on their toes and vise versa. It'd suck if it were only Sony or Microsoft vs Nintendo. Beyond boring.

nitrofeen

Banned

I dont get that either.Maybe its a way to stop people that dont know it should be in tight places.

Apath

That's not the reason judging by the other iterations of the 360. :/
It makes sense that they are being extra cautious to avoid another RROD debacle. But really, who knows the real reason? Unless Microsoft comes out and says it (or some verified leak emerges), it's all speculation.
Why does that need an IR blaster? The PS3 can turn on my tv and switch inputs today using only the HDMI cable.
Wait, what? How do you do this?

KoopaTheCasual

Thank God for competition. I shudder to imagine an industry where Xbox 360 didn't bring PS3 back to reality, and the PS4 didn't force all these 180s from MS, pre-launch.

Dragon

Banned
God, just buy a PS4 then and be done with it. I'm so tired of people saying this same shit over and over again.

Quite a reversal from 2005/2006. It's pretty interesting.

It makes sense that they are being extra cautious to avoid another RROD debacle. But really, who knows the real reason? Unless Microsoft comes out and says it (or some verified leak emerges), it's all speculation.

Wait, what? How do you do this?

I believe he's talking about HDMI passthrough.

Bgamer90

Banned
No? I wouldn't want it to either. I'm just saying being impressed with "Xbox On" it's pretty silly IMO. I can call someone on my phone without tapping a button too, it's not that impressive.

So I can't think a feature is nice and will be useful in certain situations in my setup. Got it.

Wow (lol). Haterade.

SMZC

I disliked it, personally. I did so not because of the quality of the video per se (it was actually good for what it was), but to let Microsoft know that I personally, as a user, do not support their philosophy in this industry.

Top Bottom