• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Every Xbox One Includes a Chat Headset!! + Xbox One Day One Unboxing

medze

God, just buy a PS4 then and be done with it. I'm so tired of people saying this same shit over and over again.

Huh? you do realize the reason MS is making these changes is because people were unhappy with the state of the system and complained about it, just like many of us are going to continue to do about kinect. Did you think maybe some of us are interested in the xb1 but completely turned off by many of the policies they have implemented including kinect?

Why wouldn't we make our voices heard about policies we don't agree with? If we didn't say the same thing over and over, we'd still be stuck with the DRM box, no used games, no headset, etc.

derFeef

I disliked it, personally. I did so not because of the quality of the video per se (it was actually good for what it was), but to let Microsoft know that I personally, as a user, do not support their philosophy in this industry.

You are doing it wrong.

NIGHT-

I disliked it, personally. I did so not because of the quality of the video per se (it was actually good for what it was), but to let Microsoft know that I personally, as a user, do not support their philosophy in this industry.

Lol!! Their philosophy is the same as Sonys... To make a console that will make them a profit... Some of you guys are beyond paranoid and your loyalty to companies is pretty scary.. Sony doesn't care about you anymore than Microsoft does

Withnail

most cable boxes/devices don't support hdmi-cec

Well that sucks. IR blasting is pretty crude.

Wait, what? How do you do this?

Can't remember what the PS3 calls it but the proper name is hdmi-cec. You enable it in the settings and then providing your TV supports it (most HDMI equipped sets do) the PS3 can automatically bring the TV of standby and switch it to the correct input.

ari

Banned
Quite a reversal from 2005/2006. It's pretty interesting.
I don't think the gap of the 360/ps3 is the same as the ps4/x1. Yes the x1 is less powerful, but the reasoning behind owning that is merely of preference since they both are releasing weeks apart.

B.O.O.M

Wise choice. MS fans should thank Sony. Competition is good for everyone...sony fans benefited from that too this gen.

On a random note..I never knew 'chat' headset was an actual term. Never came across it before

Lol!! Their philosophy is the same as Sonys... To make a console that will make them a profit... Some of you guys are beyond paranoid and your loyalty to companies is pretty scary.. Sony doesn't care about you anymore then Microsoft does

I don't understand how people can't see that they're both companies that want your money. At this point in time though Sony is smarter about getting it but that doesn't make Microsoft the devil.

I wonder if this is the most efficient way to get your message across to Microsoft.

SMZC

Lol!! Their philosophy is the same as Sonys... To make a console that will make them a profit... Some of you guys are beyond paranoid and your loyalty to companies is pretty scary.. Sony doesn't care about you anymore than Microsoft does

When did I say anything about Sony?

Microsoft's end goal is the same as other companies, obviously. What I and many others criticize is their means towards achieving said goal.

Dragon

Banned
I don't think the gap of the 360/ps3 is the same as the ps4/x1. Yes the x1 is less powerful, but the reasoning behind owning that is merely of prefence, where ps3 had few and far between releases at first and was getting shitted on by both the 360 and wii. Because of the price point.

360 = put out better looking third party games for most of the gen, cost less
PS4 = predicted to put out better looking third party games for the most of the gen, cost less

That's what I was referring to. Talking about preference and game releases now is premature to say the least. PS3 had one of its best FPS's launch with the console. Shit on R2 all you want but the original Resistance was awesome. The PS3 had no games thing even early in its life had more to do with its price point and people's views on the failures of the console than the games themselves.

RoKKeR

That unboxing video got me hyped, and I'm not getting a One right away. Something about next gen being tangible, in a box, something I could see myself opening, it's exciting.

If this is what I think it is, then this is absolutely killer! Talk about value! Al (I doubt people call you "Albert"), I know you can't say much, but I have a $200 Logitech Harmony remote in my Amazon wish list. If I were going to buy an Xbox One, can I remove that remote from my wish list?

Secondly, is the Kinect IR blaster programmable by the end user?
Depends on how in depth you want to be with your remote settings as to whether you need a harmony or not. For example when I press the customised 'PS3' button on my Harmony remote it doesn't just switch inputs, it also sets my TV to a particular game mode etc. I can also then program a button on the remote to turn theatre mode on and off depending if I'm watching movies on my PS3 etc. I'd be impressed if it could do all that, not enough to get me to buy one though. ;)

SMZC

I wonder if this is the most efficient way to get your message across to Microsoft.

It actually is, in a way. Enough negative votes here and there, and they will catch the message that there are a lot of people discontent with their politics.

it's the way they've been going about it that some of us don't agree with. MS was very transparent with it's casual focus for the last 3 years. Meanwhile Sony continued to invest heavily in studios and games, even this late in the console cycle the games are still coming.

we'll remember this when new hardware hits and bet on the horse who finished strong. not the one who limped over the finish line

ari

Banned
360 = put out better looking third party games for most of the gen, cost less
PS4 = predicted to put out better looking third party games for the most of the gen, cost less

That's what I was referring to. Talking about preference and game releases now is premature to say the least. PS3 had one of its best FPS's launch with the console. Shit on R2 all you want but the original Resistance was awesome. The PS3 had no games thing even early in its life had more to do with its price point and people's views on the failures of the console than the games themselves.
Resistance was amazing, but not 500 dollars amazing for the time. Yes, I dived in to play that game at launch, and hey, games was coming sooner or later. X1/ps4 are arguably worth the price for what you get day one on either console. Its totally about preference.

Nymphae

Banned
Sony doesn't care about you anymore than Microsoft does

That is true, but the impression I get is that Sony is, at some level, more concerned with games & gaming culture than MS is, which is why I think we've been seeing a lot of Sony love here recently.

BigJoeGrizzly

Neo Member
Huh? you do realize the reason MS is making these changes is because people were unhappy with the state of the system and complained about it, just like many of us are going to continue to do about kinect. Did you think maybe some of us are interested in the xb1 but completely turned off by many of the policies they have implemented including kinect?

Why wouldn't we make our voices heard about policies we don't agree with? If we didn't say the same thing over and over, we'd still be stuck with the DRM box, no used games, no headset, etc.

Because unlike some of the DRM policies, having the Kinect included doesn't hurt EVERYONE. I know this may be difficult for some people on this forum to understand, but some people actually LIKE the Kinect, can see the benefits of it being included, and understand why Microsoft chose that route.

I can name countless electronic devices that included features some people didn't want or thought they'd never use, but that's why consumers have a CHOICE to NOT buy every device put in their faces. Don't like the Kinect being bundled? Don't like the $100 premium that goes with including it? Don't like Microsoft's gaming philosophy? BUY SOMETHING ELSE. It's that simple. Want a next gen gaming console without Kinect and at $100 cheaper? BUY THE PS4 if all the other Xbone offerings don't appeal to you.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
How is Kinect IR blasting supposed to work? It would be blasting IR out into your room, while your cable box (or whatever it's gonna control) will probably be situated below the Kinect somewhere. So how are the IR flashes gonna get there? Are they strong enough to bathe the room in enough IR light that enough of it will bounce back to the device you're trying to control?

derFeef

How is Kinect IR blasting supposed to work? It would be blasting IR out into your room, while your cable box (or whatever it's gonna control) will probably be situated below the Kinect somewhere. So how are the IR flashes gonna get there? Are they strong enough to bathe the room in enough IR light that enough of it will bounce back to the device you're trying to control?

IR blasters can work through doors even.

Can't believe the xbox logo glows in blue. They better change it to green before launch.

Pretty sure it's supposed to be silver.

Pachimari

Well that sucks. IR blasting is pretty crude.

Can't remember what the PS3 calls it but the proper name is hdmi-cec. You enable it in the settings and then providing your TV supports it (most HDMI equipped sets do) the PS3 can automatically bring the TV of standby and switch it to the correct input.
Why didn't I know this... I'm gonna check this out.

Mine is a 2009 Samsung LED-TV but hopefully Xbox One can do the same so it also turns on my TV with Kinect. Though I don't think my TV can be in standby mode.

Also, what is the Kinect IR blasting used for?

What about the $99 point of entry you mentioned?

Are you really comparing the cost of a device to requiring XBL gold for Netflix?

It actually is, in a way. Enough negative votes here and there, and they will catch the message that there are a lot of people discontent with their politics.

Maybe it is but I question how seriously companies take youtube likes/dislikes on videos like these. Those dislikes could come from people legitimately upset with they policies or they could be because people have an irrational hatred for Major Nelson or a number of other stupid reasons.

SpyGuy239

Jesus, I didn't know the Kinect 2 was that huge lol.

Also done something new with the power button? come on. Have you seen the PS3?

I'm curious with M$ design choices, why all the black? It takes away from the Xbox branding of Green, and the White (if you don't count the original xbox)

Now it's just like the original PS3 wich was black and came with Wireless built in and that Touch power button and slot loading blu-ray drive? *shrugs

I know the internals are different of course, but you'd think they'd at least be able to fit a power brick inside then?

Also, overselling normal HDMI cable? C'mon son.

nitrofeen

Banned
Its probably used for external HDDs or iPods or something.

well yea it could be used for whatever by why on the side and not have one on the front, again it could help those people who are unaware that the console needs breathing room

it's the way they've been going about it that some of us don't agree with. MS was very transparent with it's casual focus for the last 3 years. Meanwhile Sony continued to invest heavily in studios and games, even this late in the console cycle the games are still coming.

we'll remember this when new hardware hits and bet on the horse who finished strong. not the one who limped over the finish line

We will? All I'll remember is how much fun I had playing games like Halo 3 & 4, and the other games I've enjoyed. :/

The console design is really growing on me. It's huge but looks better everytime I see it. Wonder when they'll have more preorders available?

Idk what it is but a good ol fashioned unboxing always gets me tempted. If MS weren't asswads with the XBLG paywall i would want this in my living room. :(

But sadly that's one area they'll never change. The Kinect sensor looks fucking huge. Bigger than the original right?

Yes. Seriously, it's like magic. I'm not even joking.

I didn't think it was going to work, either, if I'm being honest.

I'm sure there will be some unique situations where it's not perfect (which is why we have the cable). But yes it works that way, and frankly better than you would think.

SMZC

Umm, can you elaborate on their politics?

So many 180s don't inspire confidence. Don't get me wrong, it's good that they are reversing on what were bad or downright horrible ideas, but what this tells me is that they tried to get away with all that bullshit, and would still do so if they had the chance. It tells me that if they were to become the leaders of the industry, they would go back to all of the shitty politics and practices, since at that point there would be no one to make them do these reversals.

MaulerX

Jesus, I didn't know the Kinect 2 was that huge lol.

Also done something new with the power button? come on. Have you seen the PS3?

I'm curious with M$ design choices, why all the black? It takes away from the Xbox branding of Green, and the White (if you don't count the original xbox)

Now it's just like the original PS3 wich was black and came with Wireless built in and that Touch power button and slot loading blu-ray drive? *shrugs

I know the internals are different of course, but you'd think they'd at least be able to fit a power brick inside then?

Also, overselling normal HDMI cable? C'mon son.

"M$"??

And the touch button and built in wireless were introduced with the 360 slim. No sense in blasting them for it now.

Top Bottom