• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everybody's Gone To The Rapture - Review Thread

chadskin

OT: Everybody's Gone to the Rapture |OT| A Cosy Catastrophe

GameSpot - 9/10
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture uses subtle cues to guide you through its world and then gives you the space to digest what you find. It's a wonderful example of what games can achieve narratively while presenting minimal physical engagement and tasking player imagination with the rest. That sense of futility never leaves you, but whether or not you cling to the story's threads of hope is entirely up to you; no happy ending is forced on you... just an ending. The moral of the story is whatever you think it is, and there's no wrong way to feel as you sift through its bright, empty world. And while I had my moments of frustration in navigation, that didn't stop it from dazzling me. I left Shropshire exhausted, spent, and utterly impressed by The Chinese Room's magnificently crafted journey, both in how it brought me to its conclusion and the conclusion itself.

Polygon - 7/10
It's a bit surprising that a game where you literally never see another person has the most humanity of anything I've played this year. And that makes it all the more unfortunate that a few of the design choices — the walking speed in particular — pushed me away and weakened my experience. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture has some incredible, down-to-earth stories to share, emotional stuff that transcends its end-of-the-world scenario. But, not unlike any of the game's characters, you'll have to see past its flaws before you can learn to love it.

GamesRadar - 4.5/5
Everybody’s Gone To The Rapture is brave, it’s challenging, and it’s essential. How The Chinese Room has managed to convey this level of narrative artistry, while simultaneously offering us the freedom to dig through it’s characters’ lives so freely, is beyond me. It has to be experienced to be believed.

GameInformer - 7/10
The Chinese Room has crafted another unique experiment that proudly stands out from the gaming norm, now with the improved graphical horsepower of the PS4. Despite the prettier locales and solid attempt to break out of the linear mold, Rapture simply doesn't feel rewarding when straying from the glowing golden path.

Eurogamer - Recommended
In fact, it's near impossible to talk about Rapture for very long without dropping a name - Ethan Carter for its narrative yomping, PT for its creepy domestic fidelity, Her Story for its social archaeology, Year Walk for its fascination with the horror of proximity and of recent absence, The Archers even for its gossipy evocation of the mundane and bucolic - and yet the final result remains entirely singular.

Even when the loose ends have been tidied away, it's hard not to be drawn back to this beautiful village where the cars don't move, where the birds have fallen dead from the trees, and where everybody who was ever anybody is gone. A way of life has drawn to a close, just as it largely did in the real world in places like this, not with the bomb but with the analogue giving way to the digital. It's fitting that one of the final great mysteries here is the player: a camera drifting along, tugged between signposting and your own whims, but also a definite physical presence in the landscape, opening doors and crunching through dry grass, bearing witness to a place that is beyond saving.

IGN - 8/10
Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture excels at building a dense world, evocative tone, and rich cast of characters. Its five hours are filled with some really great exploration, discovery, and memorable moments. Piecing together its web of heartbreak, loss, and ultimate revelation is well worth putting up with the frustratingly lethargic movement through the world. Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture rewarded my patience with a fulfilling journey.

TheJimquisition - 5/10
As a visual showcase, a museum piece, Rapture is superbly put together. From both an audio and visual standpoint, The Chinese Room has put together something impressive. t’s just a shame that it’s also horribly tedious. Outside of shallow aesthetic pleasantries, I felt nothing from Rapture‘s attempts to make me sad or tense. No sorrow, no joy, no anger, nothing. Once again, I’m little more than a glorified camera operator watching others who have personal stakes in a world that excludes me. It’s like Homefront‘s story mode all over again.

Some games deserve that derogatory term, even if it’s an overused one. Everybody’s Gone To The Rapture really is a walking simulator, and possesses all the traits associated.

Really nice soundtrack though.

Gamersyde - 5/5 HQ videos
If Everybody's Gone to the Rapture does not address the needs of all players, it at least speaks to an undoubtedly large audience eager to dive into another narrative driven experience. Immersion in this world requires one to accept its slow progression where contemplation reigns supreme and gameplay is limited to its most simple expression. Those who choose to embrace this adventure will find an experience well worth the time. With a surprisingly decent length for such a game, we estimate around 5-6 hours, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture may be a bit dull for some players. For others, though, they will be proud to declare: I too have gone to the rapture.

A.V. Club - no score
GameTrailers - 8.2/10
EGM - 7.5/10
VentureBeat - 96/100
The Verge - no score
ShackNews - 7/10
usgamer - 5/5
PSN Stores - 4/5
God is a Geek - 9/10
PushSquare - 9/10
PlayStation Universe - 6.5/10
PlayStation Lifestyle - 8/10

IGN (Italy) - 5/10
Multiplayer (Italy) - 7/10
GamesVillage (Italy) - 9/10
GameBlog (France) - 2/5
Joypad (Denmark) - 95/100

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture PS4 Review - 9/10
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture is a masterwork – a gorgeous and subtle experience, which treats you as an adult, without ever indulging in pretence. It cares about its characters enough to give them interesting and meaningful things to say, while also playing host to some truly breathtaking art direction and music.

http://www.pushsquare.com/reviews/ps4/everybodys_gone_to_the_rapture

Our reviewer really loved it. I can't wait to play it myself later this week - it sounds right up my alley.

I am glad the reviews werent so bad. I just pre ordered before seeing this thread. I havent had any success with "walking simulators" but wanted to give this a chance due to the beautiful trailers.

Karu

Are there any walking simulators out there without some genre-twist? Also... Walking simulator/games that don't entirely rely on enviromental storytelling?

For the first criteria, Gone Home is probably still the king.

Not interested in Rapture so far. Ether One, a quite disappointing game, filled me up on this type of game. And pretty vistas aren't enough of a draw.

Tenebrous

Game looks gorgeous, but it definitely isn't for me. Good to see it getting some solid scores, though!

Are there any walking simulators out there without some genre-twist? Also... Walking simulator/games that don't entirely rely on enviromental storytelling?

For the first criteria, Gone Home is probably still the king.

Not interested in Rapture so far. Ether One, a quite disappointing game, filled me up on this type of game. And pretty vistas aren't enough of a draw.

I've not played it, so I might be missing the mark, but... The Stanley Parable?

Reviews seem decent so far, might pick this up along with The Vanishing of Ethan Carter for something a little different for a change.

Seems like some reviewers don't get the game, but the ones that do get it, seem to like it.

Is it just me or goes Polygon seem to put most PS4 exclusive 2 points lower than the surrounding reviewers.

9/10 - Is it a PS4 exclusive? - Yes? - Minus 2 points.

I don't think we should go down this path. Polygon was one of the few major publications to give DriveClub a high score, for example, so I don't think there's a conspiracy.

Besides, 7/10 is still a good score.

eFKac

Surprised at those scores, quite a bit higher than I expected, thought it will have around 70 meta, guess we don't know where it will end up but still.

Congrats to TCR and Sony!

nib95

Banned
Seems like it's reviewing really well. Expected more low scores just based on the type of game it is. There's been a slew of really solid releases in the last month or so, with Rocket League, N++, Journey, Galak-Z, The Vanishing of Ethan carter, God of War 3 Remaster and now this.

Top Bottom