• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everybody's Gone To The Rapture - Review Thread

Amir0x

Banned
83 Metacritic says it's not that decisive. So far it's a solidly good game.

In the sense people are saying this game is divisive, it's because the range of the scores between those who loved Everybody's Gone to the Rapture and those who had significant problems with it is probably a little higher than the average game.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
In the sense people are saying this game is divisive, it's because the range of the scores between those who loved Everybody's Gone to the Rapture and those who had significant problems with it is probably a little higher than the average game.

So basically we'll be seeing more 5s and 9s and not alot of 7s. Wasn't Heavy Rain review scored the sameway?

EGM1966

Sounds great from that sampling already. The low scores reading them are low for reasons I would discount for this genre and the trend I'm seeing is "those who took the experience for what it is" = 9 and those who wanted more videogame and ability to zip around = 5 to 7.

There are plenty of games I can zip around in and I had no problem with speed in Dear Esther etc. so I'm fine with games in this genre being what they are.

Maddanth

wierd, a lot of games are up for preorder or preloading before their release. Yet there is nothing in the store even suggesting this game exists...
Where you from? It's there for me, I'm in NA, and I also was able to pre-order a few days ago. Just check under the pre-order option in the store.

Raven77

Is this the game that uses the photo-technology where they go out and image an object from a bunch of angles and it makes a super hyper realistic 3d model out of it???

Reedirect

If anything, Chinese Room always gets people talking. I hated Dear Esther, was profoundly disappointed by A Machine for Pigs, but there is always that something in their games that makes me want to give them another chance. Scores seem solid, so I might just do that.

Hanmik

TheVerge

Rapture and its ilk aren’t for everybody. There are plenty of people who will find themselves bored by simply walking around a quiet, empty village waiting to hear what happened next. But if you’re like me, you’ll find yourself hooked. Some of my favorite video game moments are when nothing is really happening at all — when I can sit on a swing and listen to music in Life is Strange, or when I’m walking down a deserted highway, watching a Las Vegas sunrise in Fallout. They’re not just peaceful moments, but ones that are unique to games; they make you feel like you’re in a real place, one where even small moments can have real meaning. Rapture is a game that’s made entirely of those moments, and it’s amazing.

http://www.theverge.com/2015/8/10/9123999/everybodys-gone-to-the-rapture-review-ps4

Kssio_Aug

Screamride an 8 and TLOU a 7.5 says not

Will wait on pan plus or a sale myself, scoring well though.

Every media outlet does that! If you search in IGN you wi find a lot of uninteresting / bad / non-hyped games with higher scores then some considered master pieces.

Thats just not how analysing a score works. If you read the review you may understand why the score was given that way, even if you diagree, or even if sometimes it still sounds unfair. You can't just compare the score itself and expect it to be always just, cause a score-based system will never be always just.

Those are about the scores I hoped for. These kinds of games aren't for everyone and I respect that.

my question is why give a review assignment to someone who doesnt like these kind of games?

it would be like asking someone who only plays horror titles to review a sports game.

i know this is an emerging genre so someone who has experience with them has a better understanding of how to critique them.

regardless, i dont care about reviews, i'll enjoy it.

Hanmik

I wonder if they'll patch in a sprint? I mean, I can see why people would want it, and it'd be optional.

I actually don´t think that Cryengine (combined with these amazing visuals) can handle anymore speed. I think the speed of things is gameplay AND engine related..
Even with this slow speed the engine sometimes stutters now. And I had the game crash on me once (a friend had it crash twice).

tuxfool

Banned
YES thats it. Damn, I was hoping it was this game since I'm dying to see that tech for myself.

Either way though, I've been waiting for Rapture for a long time and it sounds like it delivers.

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter is available too, if that is what you wanted.

SparkTR

Walking simulator games are always pretty divisive in their reception looking at Gone Home, Ethan Carter and Dear Esther. Personally I find them hit or miss, and it really depends on the mood of the person playing as well.

tesqui

This game seems pretty divisive. I guess that's kind of inevitable with the type of game it is. I'm thinking I'd like it though.

Se_7_eN

I found myself completely absorbed by the story; I kept a pen nearby to keep track of people’s names and their relationships, and as I explored I not only learned about where all these people went (at least, I’m pretty sure I’ve figured it out) but I also got an incredibly intimate look into their lives. There are marriages in trouble, and problems with the church. These minor quibbles sometimes felt just as important as the big question at the heart of the game.
- The Verge

That just sold me... I did the exact same thing while playing Silent Hill 1-3 and it is my fondest memory in gaming. Unfortunately, the later games didn't delve as deep into side characters as the early games.

I was on the fence about Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, but I will buy it on PSN now.

Apart from that one 5/10 score, the game is getting a more positive critical reception than i anticipated. It will almost certainly end up being the developers best received game so far and as someone who really liked 'Dear Esther', I am confident this will be one of the best ps4 exclusives of the year. Albeit one that is an acquired taste like almost any experimental game that has come before.

It doesn't look like something I would normally care about, but the reviews are making me think about it now.

I wish Kevin Van Ord was still at GS to review this game. I trust his reviews a lot with these types of games. But Gamespot had a different reviewer for this particular game, so I'm not sure if they're on the same wavelength with me or not, so far as reviews go.

Games like this are hard to judge because it either hits you emotionally or not at all, which leads to mixed opinions.

Xater

It doesn't look like something I would normally care about, but the reviews are making me think about it now.

I wish Kevin Van Ord was still at GS to review this game. I trust his reviews a lot with these types of games. But Gamespot had a different reviewer for this particular game, so I'm not sure if they're on the same wavelength with me or not, so far as reviews go.

Games like this are hard to judge because it either hits you emotionally or not at all, which leads to mixed opinions.

Van Ord isn't even with Gamespot anymore.

derExperte

Here is the first 40 minutes of the game, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2yJL59FWxg

I fear the walking speed will become frustrating fast, I'm a sucker for the genre and liked all the big ones like Gone Home, Carter or Stanley Parable but this is really pushing it and makes the reasonable playtimes quoted earlier not look so hot anymore. Also takes the joy out of exploring if I know it'll take me five minutes to get somewhere.

I fear the walking speed will become frustrating fast . . . Also takes the joy out of exploring if I know it'll take me five minutes to get somewhere.

Even as someone who loves playing these story-driven games at a slower, contemplative pace...

Yeah. This, exactly. When the world is so big, it's enough to make you look at places you could explore and think, "Eh... I'll just continue on the main path."

Top Bottom