• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everybody's Gone To The Rapture - Review Thread

Verger

Banned
Bizarre not to have a run option. Even Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs of course had one. Also it sounds like there's no interactivity within the world, even less than AMFP which was already so little.

I'll probably pass.

As someone who loves stuff like Gone Home and The Vanishing of Ethan Carter this is a must pick up. Glad its overall reviewing solid

SerTapTap

I'm hearing there's a run button (R2) that takes time to build momentum but I can't check until the preorder timer unlocks (didn't get a review copy--I review but contacting Sony is...scary)

Reviews seem to be as expected, most people love it, while a few just don't "get" Walking Simulators.

Some very good reviews and some bad.

Good. I enjoy games that are polarizing like that.

This is basically the fate of anything outside the boundaries like that, unless it happens to really, really resonate with reviewers and/or somehow manage to be appreciated in a more mainstream light (Gone Home and Journey), you're pretty much doomed to getting 5s from people who don't get it, 7s from people who get but don't like it, and 9s/10s from people who do get it. The important thing is that the people who do like this kind of game don't still rate it low (see Submerged--which I didn't hate but yeah, certainly a flawed game)

my question is why give a review assignment to someone who doesnt like these kind of games?

it would be like asking someone who only plays horror titles to review a sports game.

i know this is an emerging genre so someone who has experience with them has a better understanding of how to critique them.

regardless, i dont care about reviews, i'll enjoy it.

Because there are always games that can break through the genre they exist within. Every game has preconceptions - a good writer can use that to their advantage and shed light on something interesting about the game. I don't want the same people saying the same things about a game over and over again.

I want to know of I can recommend Everybody Goes to friends who didn't like Dear Esther or Gone Home, so some of these reviews might be useful to me.

Furthermore, this genre barely even has a name ("walking simulator" sucks) so it's hard to pinpoint where it exists and how experimental it might be when all bets are off.

FelipeMGM

This is basically the fate of anything outside the boundaries like that, unless it happens to really, really resonate with reviewers and/or somehow manage to be appreciated in a more mainstream light (Gone Home and Journey), you're pretty much doomed to getting 5s from people who don't get it, 7s from people who get but don't like it, and 9s/10s from people who do get it. The important thing is that the people who do like this kind of game don't still rate it low (see Submerged--which I didn't hate but yeah, certainly a flawed game)

Yeah, I agree. I love this kind of game and I gave Submerged a 6 in my review (most it because of the visuals and animals), while some sites gave it a 3 or 4.
So Im very hped with this game, even tough I was thiking this would sit a mid 80 metacritic

I'm hearing there's a run button (R2) that takes time to build momentum but I can't check until the preorder timer unlocks (didn't get a review copy--I review but contacting Sony is...scary)

They are not very easy to contact sometimes.
If ou dont mind me asking, have you received your Volume review code already? (If you asked for one at all). I see some people talking about it but Mike is still doing some fixes as far I understand, so Im a bit confused

The walk speed is noticeably slower than Dear Esther's. I can see why that could be a pain.

onIPEgA.gif

chadskin

If you're in Europe and a PS+ member, you'll get a 20% discount on the game. It seems the game went live without the discount applied so don't buy it yet!

Via the Store page:
Kaufe Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture™ vor dem 24. August 2015 um 23:59 Uhr aus dem PlayStation®Store, um ein fantastisches dynamisches Design für dein PS4™-System zu erhalten – und wenn du PlayStation®Plus-Mitglied bist, erhältst du auch noch 20 % Rabatt auf den Originalpreis des Spiels!
..."if you're a PlayStation Plus member, you'll get a 20 % rebate on the original price of the game"

Just double checked and this is true. Takes a couple seconds, but there's a noticeable difference in your movement speed.

Edit: I should add that this only works outside of certain scenes. The game slows your movement down during specific moments and holding R2 does nothing. When you're free to explore you can hold R2 to build momentum and go a little faster.

WITHE1982

If you're in Europe and a PS+ member, you'll get a 20% discount on the game. It seems the game went live without the discount applied so don't buy it yet!

Via the Store page:

..."if you're a PlayStation Plus member, you'll get a 20 % rebate on the original price of the game"

Same thing happened with Broken Age in the UK. Sony refunded people the difference if you phoned them up to complain.

Just more evidence that SCEE really are a bit incompetent IMHO.

FelipeMGM

Just double checked and this is true. Takes a couple seconds, but there's a noticeable difference in your movement speed.

Edit: I should add that this only works outside of certain scenes. The game slows your movement down during specific moments and holding R2 does nothing. When you're free to explore you can hold R2 to build momentum and go a little faster.

I Wonder now if reviwers know this and if makes any difference

I Wonder now if reviwers know this and if makes any difference

Posted this in the OT thread:

I'm assuming this happened as it happened to me. (Facepalming that I missed this.)

- Press every button to see if there's a way to move faster.
- Look at controls in the options menu. Controls show Left Analog stick to move, Right Analog to look, and X to interact.

Because holding R2 takes a few seconds to build up speed I think people, like myself, just didn't hold the button long enough + assumed it wasn't there since there's no indication of it in the control screen.

The movement speed didn't drastically impact my own experience, but this is good to know and hopefully it'll help everyone else.

So yeah can't speak for anyone else, but it wasn't a huge impact for me. Still enjoyed the game. Laughing at myself for missing this. :p

FelipeMGM

So yeah can't speak for anyone else, but it wasn't a huge impact for me. Still enjoyed the game. Laughing at myself for missing this. :p

I see. Just wondering cuz some People gave it an 8 or a 9 and their only con was the slow movimentation.

Do you guys think they could up the score if They didnt know this was a feature While reviewing? Prob not right?

Melchiah

I can understand regular gamers missing it, but this brings the "you had one job" meme to mind. Those reviewers were supposed to write an informative article about a product, yet some of them criticized it for lacking a feature which it had.

EDIT: As a result I thought it's indeed so, and was already thinking it would be sluggish to play compared to Ethan Carter.
EDIT.2: Well, ~8 seconds build-up to something that's inbetween walking and running does sound like easy to miss, and may not even be considered running.

I see. Just wondering cuz some People gave it an 8 or a 9 and their only con was the slow movimentation.

Do you guys think they could up the score if They didnt know this was a feature While reviewing? Prob not right?
The only small issue is that if they up the score, it doesn't up the Meta, which is a bit disappointing. But I could see some outlets issuing corrections!

DayEnder

The only small issue is that if they up the score, it doesn't up the Meta, which is a bit disappointing. But I could see some outlets issuing corrections!

I'll quote me from another thread:

It's not ideal that the reviewers missed that you can walk faster/run with R2. Metacritic doesn't allow for updates to reviews, so it is going to hurt the developers for something that wasn't really an issue in the first place. Hopefully bonuses aren't tied to a Metacritic score. Either way this likely will hurt sales a bit.

Edit: Changed really to not ideal since some members don't like hyperbole/exaggeration for effect.

Edit 2: The video below shows that you go a bit faster, but it isn't running.

Linconan

Loving it so far.
Not rushing or trying too, just soaking it up.

It'll be interesting how this will play out, story wise.
imo, i hope it doesn't try and spin the subject and try too rationalize like majority of things today. Science and Governments etc.
Just keep it to the Rapture event, and i'll be happy.

I figured there'd be a decent split in terms of outlets' impressions, but this game is right in my wheelhouse so I can't wait to fire it up in a few hours.

I provided an update on my own. Not sure how many others might do the same.

LiK

Will pass on this until it's much cheaper. Didn't enjoy any of Chinese Room's previous games and this seems to be similar.

Regarding people having issues with the movement speed:

Dont you think during the whole development time of the game the devs themselves never thought it was an issue?

SerTapTap

They are not very easy to contact sometimes.
If ou dont mind me asking, have you received your Volume review code already? (If you asked for one at all). I see some people talking about it but Mike is still doing some fixes as far I understand, so Im a bit confused

Nah I just bought it. I've tried talking to SCEA once but haven't made a serious effort, I suspect it will be painful to even get on their "sce indies" list if I do at all

Regarding people having issues with the movement speed:

Dont you think during the whole development time of the game the devs themselves never thought it was an issue?

I've bugged walking sim devs about walking speed before (not this game), it's usually said to be a deliberate design choice to make the player drink it all in--I can appreciate that but don't agree with a single, extremely low walking speed especially in a game with any kind of non-linear movement, as exploring off the beaten path (then getting back to it) suddenly becomes extremely costly, even if the pacing is arguably just fine if you make a beeline through the expected path. As someone who likes to explore and isn't patient, walk speed can be a problem for sure.

Gameblog.fr gave it a 4/10 and Metacritic is now 79...

There could have been a Gamefrog.bl but Saint Barthélemy ended up using Guadeloupe .gp instead.

Anyway, the game is tempting, but

1) My hard drive is full
2) I'm not sure if I'm still employed
3) My backlog is humongous

Top Bottom