• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everybody's Gone To The Rapture - Review Thread

0fIUpWN.gif

Amazing. I've been waiting for a few reviews to come out before I jumped the gun on the preorder. I guess I will now! Can't wait.

danowat

Banned
Or maybe Polygon give realistic scores?, unlike other outlets who just chuck about 9's and 10's without a care in the world?

valkyre

Game looks solid. I must admit I did not expect such great reviews. Seems it will earn a place in my collection ;)

DavidDesu

Well I loved Dear Esther. A solitary and deep experience that you can dive into and complete in one sitting (which I think does make all the difference on it's impact on you). I'm definitely getting this when I get paid! Haven't seen anything more than a trailer or two and a music featurette, but the reviews make me more than confident it will be worth my money. Gaming needs more experiences like this (and with VR on the way we might be getting more of these kinds of games :)

FelipeMGM

Seems like it's reviewing really well. Expected more low scores just based on the type of game it is. There's been a slew of really solid releases in the last month or so, with Rocket League, N++, Journey, Galak-Z, The Vanishing of Ethan carter, God of War 3 Remaster and now this.

Yeah, It has been an amazing month on PS4, Plus lineup is pretty solid as well.

Is this still getting a PC release at some point or no?

Since its a Sony IP, I dont see this happening

DOWN

Banned
Sounds like if you're into narrative atmospheric games, it is worth a play. For the 20% off pre-order deal, I'm in.

Super glad it's getting good reviews, I'm a fan of The Chinese Room's work but their last, Amnesia: AMFP left a lot to be desired.

Can't wait to play it.

wierd, a lot of games are up for preorder or preloading before their release. Yet there is nothing in the store even suggesting this game exists...

The extreme minority of games can be pre-ordered on EU PSN. It'll be on the store when it's out like every other game.

Nerix

Really looking forward to play this. It seems to be exactly my type of game. Excessive use of the share button granted ;) (when there´ll be a lossless screenshot format for PS4...)

kyser73

Jaz Rignall USGamer review said:
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture takes elements of a radio play, underpins it with a core of classic science fiction literature, and wraps it into a combination of walking simulator and slice of interactive drama to create a game, product, or perhaps even a piece of art, that's simply gorgeous.

The bolded part really interests me, as it is a perceptive comment that has further piqued my interest in this game (which I was buying anyway).

Plus it looks sooo lovely. Looking forward to going back 'home' to England when playing this.

I'll wait for more reviews and especially impressions on GAF and elsewhere. I didn't like Dear Esther and thought that Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs was just decent.

Sounds like if you're into narrative atmospheric games, it is worth a play. For the 20% off pre-order deal, I'm in.

I love The Stanley Parable, Gone Home, and others, and Rapture really didn't grab me. It's on the low end of all first-party games I've reviewed.

To me, Rapture signals a turning point for this still-young genre where games won't be able to skate by on the mere fact that they're first-person exploration with strong stories and get automatic critical acclaim. I note in my review that with growth comes growing pains, and now that the genre has grown up a little, there will be fewer and fewer free passes.

WITHE1982

I'm glad this seems to be getting some favorable reviews. I'm gonna buy it as soon as it's live on the EU PSN having watched it's development with a keen interest. I'm hoping it does well enough to warrant a physical release as The Chinese Room have hinted at such.

You never know a port of Dear Esther could be in the offing if this is a financial success. Well I hope so anyway.

Amir0x

Banned
Reviews seem to reflect a game from the developer of such idiosyncratic properties as Dear Esther, very divisive.

I still don't know whether I'll fall in the realm that likes the game or not, but I suppose that depends on how well written the game is, how it makes me feel emotionally. I did not like Dear Esther.

Maxrunner said:
So chinese room =no gameplay besides developing walking simulators?

groan

Saladinoo

The Polygon review seems to confirm what I was afraid of - it being similar in concept to Dear Esther (good), but keeping the slow movement pace (bad).

I know it might seem like I lack patience, but I can't lie to myself, I just found that the walking speed of Dear Esther made it into a bit of a chore. The game was brilliant in some respects - the atmosphere they created was wonderful, and I enjoyed absorbing it, which was obviously the point so I can see why they decided to set the movement speed the way they did, but there were long distances to traverse, and I would occasionally go in the wrong direction and have to back track for ages, and the movement speed just made it a tad frustrating. I think a sprint button would be out of place, but just an option to walk a bit faster would have been appreciated - I think the issue was that it felt like I was moving slower than anyone would in real life, and it just got in the way of me enjoying the storytelling, and it seems like it would be even worse due to the less linear nature of this game compared to Dear Esther.

Maxrunner

Reviews seem to reflect a game from the developer of such idiosyncratic properties as Dear Esther, very divisive.

I still don't know whether I'll fall in the realm that likes the game or not, but I suppose that depends on how well written the game is, how it makes me feel emotionally. I did not like Dear Esther.

groan

so you agree with me? lol
dear esther is just a different way to read a short story....

golem

Had the chance to play a few hours of this a while back. The storytelling and voice acting is really well done and it is quite a beautiful area to explore. Those looking for actual gameplay elements will be disappointed but the way the story unfolds is pretty compelling, there are some beautiful moments in the game and you get wrapped up in the individual stories of the various townsfolk. The walk speed does get somewhat annoying like Beyond Eyes though since the town is actually pretty big and if you miss something you're in for quite the stroll.

Top Bottom