• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everybody's Gone To The Rapture - Review Thread

Karsha

Is this like gone home/dear esther ? Im not a fan of that kind of game, would have preffered some kind of puzzles at least

Reading on mobile so I may have missing if anyone posted this already; but am I the only one that kind of finds that first sentence of the Polygon review to be a bit spoilerish? I didn't know that going in, thought it could be a possibility, but now I know 100% that it is the case and that kind of makes me a bit bummed. Still super excited for this game and all, just don't want anyone else to feel that slight quick pang of "what..?" that I did.

derExperte

Did Dear Esther have running? I don't think it did. Didn't really bother me, I'm not in a hurry.

No but it's been over three years, back then games like this were still rare and Esther was also very linear without much room to explore, almost felt like a tech demo so I guess people were more forgiving. Still some got annoyed and there are even mods to increase the speed. Eh, not completely ruling out a purchase, I'll wait for more impressions and see if I'm in the mood later this week.

FelipeMGM

Metacritic now sits at 78. I wonder how many more outlets will review this game, only major ones missing right now are IGN US and Jim Sterling I think.

few hours of lengths keeps me away from buying it.

It's $15-$20. I think the cost is fair for the time you will spend.

Someone brought up an interesting point a few posts above: The game is supposedly 6-8 hours I think? With the slow walking speed, I can see how that artificially boosts the playtime.

I imagine adding a faster running option would ruin the game's pacing/narrative. I imagine people are going to be very annoyed with the no sprint. It doesnt have to be a huff-and-puff COD sprint around the world, but a slightly faster walking speed to cut down on some backtracking might be appreciated.

I am avoiding reviews, but is it a big detriment to reviewers? I notice Gamespot noted it as a fault

FelipeMGM

It's $15-$20. I think the cost is fair for the time you will spend.

Someone brought up an interesting point a few posts above: The game is supposedly 6-8 hours I think? With the slow walking speed, I can see how that artificially boosts the playtime.

I imagine adding a faster running option would ruin the game's pacing/narrative. I imagine people are going to be very annoyed with the no sprint. It doesnt have to be a huff-and-puff COD sprint around the world, but a slightly faster walking speed to cut down on some backtracking might be appreciated.

I am avoiding reviews, but is it a big detriment to reviewers? I notice Gamespot noted it as a fault

Yes. The biggest con seems to be not being able to run

Despera

Banned
About the walking speed, it's something that annoyed me a lot in the previews. Was secretly hoping they'd adjust the walking pace or at least add a run button, but apparently neither of those things happened.

I'm still interested however. Was mildly entertained by Dear Esther so wouldn't mind seeing how much they've improved since.

I mean, this seems to be a con for both people who liked or disliked the game overall. Reviews with bad scores have orher complains too, but no sprint is present in almost every review as bad thing.

Ah okay.

I hope they'll consider a patch then. Doesn't need a super sprint, just a faster pace option. Surely that will benefit the game more than hurt it.

For me the walk speed was annoying, but not something that took away a lot from the experience. Even just a slight increase in speed would be fine.

TheZink

Im totally confused about what this game is but I bought it anyway. It just looks interesting. Im not reading the review so I go in totally blind.

Melchiah

Sounds like a must-buy for me. Although, after playing Ethan Carter I sure would like to have the option to run. Backtracking in that game would have been a pain in the ass without it.

JoduanER2

Mmm, I dont know about this game, i mean i liked Dear Esther but maybe they went too far with the "walking simulator" thing this time, but for $15 you cant go wrong i guess, plus you get a nice dynamic theme.

I preordered based on the atmosphere/concept, so hoping it turns out good. I'm not expecting an action game so I hope it's as interesting as it looks.

I haven't played Dear Ester or Ethan Carter... so no chance of burnout from similar games for me.

JP

I'm saving this until the weekend instead of playing it when it unlocks, would rather wait until I have an evening to sit and play with being disturbed. I also want to complete The Vanishing of Ethan Carter before I move onto this.

ryseing

so you agree with me? lol
dear esther is just a different way to read a short story....

That's actually a great way of looking at this genre of games, and probably why I appreciate them so much.

Did anyone ever solve the ARG? I would love to hear the findings from much more talented people then myself.

RedAssedApe

Banned
slow walk speed can be a bit of an annoyance.

i started playing ether one on ps4 and there is a run button but it barely makes you move faster. pretty annoying if this game is that slow as well. wouldnt be a deal breaker for me though

JoduanER2

Ok, bought it. They werent kidding about the music, soo celestial and peaceful. I think this is the perfect game to play with a glass of wine, cheese or some weed in the middle :)

SerTapTap

Yes. The biggest con seems to be not being able to run

This seriously is a problem in "walking sim" games, and I thoroughly enjoy them. I really wish devs wouldn't try to dictate pacing quite that extremely, especially when there's any level of walking around just to take in the sights. The pace in Proteus is abysmal.

I already bought it and doubt I'll be disappointed, but seriously, it could be an option and it seems in this case it may have legitimately reviewed better--a slow pace can harm an experience just as a too fast one can.

I don't think I'll buy it like I'd been considering. The reviews are too all over the place, and I didn't know if it'd be my type of game from the onset.

I'll hold out and hope it'll become a freebie one day, because money is limited and I don't feel comfortable making a blind purchase of this one.

Top Bottom