• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everybody's Gone To The Rapture - Review Thread

Donlan's EG review is probably the best written review of the game yet.

Even when the loose ends have been tidied away, it's hard not to be drawn back to this beautiful village where the cars don't move, where the birds have fallen dead from the trees, and where everybody who was ever anybody is gone. A way of life has drawn to a close, just as it largely did in the real world in places like this, not with the bomb but with the analogue giving way to the digital. It's fitting that one of the final great mysteries here is the player: a camera drifting along, tugged between signposting and your own whims, but also a definite physical presence in the landscape, opening doors and crunching through dry grass, bearing witness to a place that is beyond saving.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
A.V. Club Review, no score:

If everybody’s gone to the rapture, then this must be hell: a game where the player hardly matters, a story that not even the characters care about, and a world whose pastoral beauty is a hollow vessel. The Chinese Room’s Everybody’s Gone To The Rapture—a PlayStation 4 exclusive from the creators of Dear Esther—is a work so brutally dull that it would function as a parody of an “art game,” if only it didn’t take itself so seriously."

onIPEgA.gif

I love that scene, but... "comming?" Really?!?! Ugh.

Lemondish

If everybody’s gone to the rapture, then this must be hell: a game where the player hardly matters, a story that not even the characters care about, and a world whose pastoral beauty is a hollow vessel. The Chinese Room’s Everybody’s Gone To The Rapture—a PlayStation 4 exclusive from the creators of Dear Esther—is a work so brutally dull that it would function as a parody of an “art game,” if only it didn’t take itself so seriously."

Wow. Based on other reviews, I think this guy missed the point.

Yikes!!!

sn00zer

Finished the first chapter....fucking amazing....a loooooot of people will hate this game.

Literally teared up at
the woman whose husband took their children upstairs

EDIT: If you think you will like this game, you will love it. If these type of things arent your thing, youre going to hate it.

woops wrong threaad

FelipeMGM

Just finished the game and I really enjoyed. I expected a lil bit more from the ending but it was Ok. Is def one of the best games I played this year

Hopefully I can play this soon, but I am curious: would intuitive puzzles make this a better experience? By that I don't mean the brainless "puzzles" from The Last of Us, nor do I mean needlessly abstract puzzles, but something in between? Natural, sensible puzzles that make the experience feel more like a game without detracting from the story or exploration elements?

Fury451

Banned

Honestly, this is a fair review. He touches on a lot of the key issues the game has, and even though I'm a general supporter of "walking simulators", this one squandered it's potentially chilling premise IMO.

I personally found the story to be pretty obvious almost immediately, and the payoff wasn't very good despite some great world-crafting and acting.

Hopefully I can play this soon, but I am curious: would intuitive puzzles make this a better experience? By that I don't mean the brainless "puzzles" from The Last of Us, nor do I mean needlessly abstract puzzles, but something in between? Natural, sensible puzzles that make the experience feel more like a game without detracting from the story or exploration elements?

Absolutely. I've felt that both this game and Machine for Pigs were puzzle games that forgot to put in puzzles. I think natural and well crafted puzzle solving/mystery elements would've vastly improved the experience.

Metro Gamecentral gave it 6/10

http://metro.co.uk/2015/08/12/everybodys-gone-to-the-rapture-review-emmerdale-apocalypse-5339583/

TL;DR:

In Short: A sci-fi short story masquerading as a video game, and while it’s often fascinating and beautiful it makes even other walking simulators seem fast-paced by comparison.

Pros: The game is extremely well written, with well defined characters that tackle some big subjects. Novel setting and excellent graphics and music.

Cons: The slow, unwieldy pacing and largely pointless interactivity gets in the way of the story. Some frame rate problems and crash bugs.

hahah, oh wow. i need to know what are some of the favorite games of the reviewer.

Thought it'd be better to post this here, but I was just curious, how long does it take for Metacritic to put up their review scores from later reviews? I mean EDGE Magazine gave the game a 9/10, and as of now, that still hasn't been posted on metacritic. I'm just wondering, and it begs the question, has this happened ever before to any other game, where they forgot to update the aggregate score on metacritic because websites were late or they just forgot etc?

For reference: http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/everybodys-gone-to-the-rapture/critic-reviews

EDGE Review: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1102192

Top Bottom