• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EVO Sunday Schedule Revealed

Oidisco

Smash 4 meta has gone a long way and is mostly offensive, and the more defensive chars at least have interesting tools (Villager, Mega Man, Duck Hunt, Olimar). Should be a great EVO!

Eh I wouldn't say it's mostly offensive. It's definitely way more aggressive now than it was in 2015, but it's still a very defensive game too. It really depends on who makes top 8, and I have a feeling that a lot of the more exciting players won't make it.

And those defensive characters are interesting, but we're far more likely to see Diddy Kong, Rosalina, Sonic and Bayonetta (well, Salems Bayo) than any of the more interesting defensive characters.

Eh I wouldn't say it's mostly offensive. It's definitely way more aggressive now than it was in 2015, but it's still a very defensive game too. It really depends on who makes top 8, and I have a feeling that a lot of the more exciting players won't make it.

And those defensive characters are interesting, but we're far more likely to see Diddy Kong, Rosalina, Sonic and Bayonetta (well, Salems Bayo) than any of the more interesting defensive characters.

A Mega Man got 2nd last year.

Oidisco

A Mega Man got 2nd last year.

Since Evo Kameme hasn't been doing as well. Pretty sure he's only made top 8 at a major once since then, same with Scatt. I mean it's possible one of them could make it, I just don't think it's very likely. I hope I'm wrong though!

I dunno about that. Of the PGR v3 top 10, 6 are considered "exciting" (MKLeo, Nairo, Ally, Larry Lurr, CaptainZack, Abadango) and only 3 are not (ZeRo, Dabuz and Komorikiri). And a lot of the players who've made splashes in top 8s at stacked tournaments this year, people love watching (T, Tsu, Elegant, HIKARU, Locus, Samsora, etc.). It all depends on how the brackets play out.

Compbros

You guys are so obsessed with whether a game is on sunday or not, but straight up, I'm not interested in waking up at the ass crack of dawn to watch Xrd, I'd rather watch it at primetime on Saturday.

It's about exposure, people that will never watch fighting games another day out the whole year will watch Evo Sunday. It's the Wrestlemania of Fighting Games. So people want their game on that day for maximum eyeballs and potential new fans/players.

Maybe they rather be the closer on Saturday instead of midday Sunday.

Why when the views of Sunday destroy those of Saturday? Smash WII U had 2637 entrants last year and was a Saturday game, it peaked at 71k viewers. Here's the peak view numbers:

Tekken 7: Fated Retribution (Saturday)

35,498 viewers on main channel at peak

Smash Bros. Wii U (Saturday)

71,141 viewers on main channel at peak

Pokken Tournament (Saturday)

23,980 viewers on main channel at peak

Killer Instinct (Saturday)

25,596 viewers on main channel at peak

Mortal Kombat XL (Sunday)

104,586 viewers on main channel at peak

Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (Sunday)

121,878 viewers on main channel at peak

Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator (Sunday)

136,914 main channel / 148,811 total twitch viewers

Super Smash Bros. Melee (Sunday)

219,125 main channel / 232,900 total twitch viewers

Street Fighter V (Sunday)

182,716 main channel / 213,927 total twitch viewers

DylanEno

CaptainZack is like THE super major top 8 bayo, so I'd put him over Salem, but we'll see. It's very possible they both make it, given the steady rise of Bayo. But the game is so volatile that you can expect to see anyone, really. Ffs a Link made top 3 at Civil War.

In for Tekken 7. May watch some of SF5, but honestly the best matches for SF happen the two nights before.

Sad I won't be there this year. :(

Spade

tpgZWOt.gif

This GIF has perhaps never been more appropriate xD

Yup. Very appropriate. Honestly, can't wait :)

MutFox

Banned
Smash 4 on Sunday is awesome.
Great for the good of the series.
Shows the community supports the developers newest entry.

mas8705

Mr. Wizard did confirm that the poll winner (UMvC3) was going to start off Sunday while Blazblue and Smash 4 were going to be Sunday games during the reveal stream. Not sure why so many people are caught off guard by this.

That said, the order itself of "Blazblue, Tekken, Smash 4" is a bit of a shocker actually. Mind you that Melee did lead into SF5 last year, so in some regards, you could say that it makes sense for Smash 4 to lead into SF5 too. Honestly though, I would have put Tekken in as the "Lead up" to SF5 instead. Still, can't argue the end results considering the number of entries. Just hope that some didn't get turned away from Melee just because "It wasn't going to be Sunday."

A captain falcon and Link came 2nd n 3rd respectively in smash 4 biggest tournament yet. 2GGC Civil War

Sami+

Smash 4 meta has gone a long way and is mostly offensive, and the more defensive chars at least have interesting tools (Villager, Mega Man, Duck Hunt, Olimar). Should be a great EVO!

I've been heavily involved in the scene both as a spectator and competitor up until about a month and a half ago - this is a stretch imo. It is and will always be an extremely neutral heavy game because the advantage state just isn't strong enough and almost every character has an amazing recovery. I've been excited watching Smash 4 before, don't get me wrong, but I just don't think it's as good of a spectator game as Melee most of the time. If Zero gets knocked out early then we might be in for a ride but otherwise idk.

I've been heavily involved in the scene both as a player and competitor up until about a month and a half ago - this is a stretch imo. It is and will always be an extremely neutral heavy game because the advantage state just isn't strong enough and almost every character has an amazing recovery. I've been excited watching Smash 4 before, don't get me wrong, but I just don't think it's as good of a spectator game as Melee most of the time. If Zero gets knocked out early then we might be in for a ride but otherwise idk.
Saying "I've been excited watching Smash 4 before" implies that it's only exciting every so often to you, but that's not been the sentiment lately by the majority of people who watch. It is exciting very often. Smash 4 has had a GREAT year so far, with the game somehow getting way more diverse, character-wise, than in previous years, sets between top players going down to the wire more often and international representation absolutely EXPLODING. ZeRo getting knocked out early will not determine how fun the tourney will be to watch. Some of the best tourneys have been ones where ZeRo makes top 8, whether he wins (Frostbite) or doesn't (Momocon).

On a semi-related note. The first draft of pools are out for each game: https://smash.gg/Evo2017/events

I've been heavily involved in the scene both as a spectator and competitor up until about a month and a half ago - this is a stretch imo. It is and will always be an extremely neutral heavy game because the advantage state just isn't strong enough and almost every character has an amazing recovery. I've been excited watching Smash 4 before, don't get me wrong, but I just don't think it's as good of a spectator game as Melee most of the time. If Zero gets knocked out early then we might be in for a ride but otherwise idk.

That exactly what happened in Civil War. it was really great to see a Link and Falcon in Semi Finals

Smash in there to suck the life out of the night.

SFV is bad enough as it is.

But to sit through hours of smash, and their awful fans who will leave the area full of empty seats for the SF finals...

Christ I missed the days that garbage wasn't on stream.

KoF, GG, and Tekken 7 are all hype games that should have been the run in to SF V.

Wouldn't it be better for the viewers if smash was in the morning or day before and out of the way before the fighting games start?

Ronin Ray

I wish Evo would move to a week you can add a few more games give games more time to breathe not have so much stuff overlapping. I think it be cool if there was a finals everyday of the week.

Kyne

Wouldn't it be better for the viewers if smash was in the morning or day before and out of the way before the fighting games start?

nah, that wouldn't make sense. Smash gets the most viewers of any game at EVO, why would they want to move it to a timeslot where no one will be awake?

BossRush

But it is..........

It's a competitive game for sure, it's gonna have backing support from Nintendo and people love playing it. And that's great!...but it's not a fighting game. It has similar aspects but after playing it for a week it felt more akin to a shooter than a fighting game.

nah, that wouldn't make sense. Smash gets the most viewers of any game at EVO, why would they want to move it to a timeslot where no one will be awake?

Shouldn't it be last then? Why mix it in with the fighting games when it ruins the flow of everything?

They don't overlap with fighting game fans.

Put smash 2 games earlier it will still get 90 % it's maximum.

The other games all build logically in to SF and will build and retain (after initial massive cliff edge.)

Kyne

Shouldn't it be last then? Why mix it in with the fighting games when it ruins the flow of everything?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

probably because the FGC is afraid to admit that Smash is the most popular game at EVO. Despite the falling participant/viewer rate, it continues to push SF5 as the main attraction. Maybe that will change next year.

Goku vs. Vegeta grand finals @EVO 2019 with 500,000 viewers. Calling it now.

It's a competitive game for sure, it's gonna have backing support from Nintendo and people love playing it. And that's great!...but it's not a fighting game. It has similar aspects but after playing it for a week it felt more akin to a shooter than a fighting game.
Is this just due to the 3rd person view out of interest?
Like for me its all about controlling the space between fighters, dodging punches and hitting them when they are open, countering their blocks with grabs and so on. I get its not all right up in the other characters face like other fighting games, but the only thing it lacks compared to other fighters IMO is stuff like button combos, special moves & frame counting.
But if games like the DBZ Budokai or Naruto fighting games, no reason something like ARMS shouldn't be.

mugwhump

Where's the side stream schedule? I need to know when the REAL fighting games are on
aka Catherina and Puyo Puyo Tetris

BossRush

Is this just due to the 3rd person view out of interest?
Like for me its all about controlling the space between fighters, dodging punches and hitting them when they are open, countering their blocks with grabs and so on. I get its not all right up in the other characters face like other fighting games, but the only thing it lacks compared to other fighters IMO is stuff like button combos, special moves & frame counting.
But if games like the DBZ Budokai or Naruto fighting games, no reason something like ARMS shouldn't be.

Honestly? It's the whole having to aim your punches thing that makes it feel more like a shooter than a fighting game. As I've said, there are aspects of fighting games in ARMS, but those aspects are the mindgames of "will he block, will he throw, will he dodge." I.e mind games. And while that's a big part of fighting games, it's also a big part of a lot of competitive games in general.

If you want to call it a fighting game, that's fine. Go right ahead. Hell, if it ends up at EVO one year that's great too! This is just my personal biased opinion that it's not really much of a fighting game.

its like calling For Honor a fighting game.

Top Bottom