• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolution 2013 Fighting game championship of the World July 12th - 14th

Status
Not open for further replies.
I honestly think the only one who can beat ChrisG in GF is a Jwong with a new and better team. I mean I could see someone possibly sending him to losers but I doubt anyone will keep him from GF.

Dahbomb

I honestly think the only one who can beat ChrisG in GF is a Jwong with a new and better team. I mean I could see someone possibly sending him to losers but I doubt anyone will keep him from GF.
Time period is too short for a new team that is high level tournament ready. Justin couldn't beat ChrisG's Ryu team with his supposed "counter" team at last year's EVO. Justin Wong is most likely going all in with his Wolverine/Storm team.

As far as I know the only two players who have actual new tech is FChamp with his Dorm/Morrigan team (not new tech but it's supposed to be more optimized by now) and Nemo. My guess is that the Nemo secret tech is the already discovered dead man tech but if it isn't..... OOOOHHH BOY!

Still though... secret hidden tech is highly overrated most of the time.

Release a gameplay trailer on the internet .... no need to take half hour of EVO =/

But they are doing more than that. They are allowing people to play what better venue then where most of the FGC will congregate at. Also since most people will just be watching this is the perfect time for it since nobody will be practicing for their matches.

Honestly speaking as much as I hate to say it, replacing Dante with Doom (Plasma Beam) makes it a much better team. You still get unblockables but now both Trish and Wesker have Doom TAC option and full screen Plasma Beam assist.

I played that team. It's good but it's not better than Dante. It's just a counterpick because Trish's only major weakness is durability.

Bolts is a better assist for both characters but the confirm off of the unblockable is much harder with Strange, especially midscreen.

Still though... secret hidden tech is highly overrated most of the time.

Except that time it wasn't, like last year with TACs. And the year before that, when Rog pulled Acid Rain into Devil Trigger out of nowhere.

OceanBlue

No he hasn't. But he's supposed to be in the Team tourney. And I'm not even sure if he mains Ryu anymore. But as far as skills are concerned, he's the only Ryu I would say is close to Daigo's level.

Oh yeah, that's right! That's definitely something to be excited about. To be honest, I'm not skilled enough to tell how good players are past a certain level so I'll have to take your word for it. I hope he still plays Ryu. :D

AE aka matchup fighter four is really about bracket seating..especially in such a big tournament like Evo. You meet up against two bad matchups and your tournament life is over. If you took the same competitors at Evo and ran the same tournament again, I think you would get a different top 8 each time.

Although Infiltration is a lock because I think he has an easy path to top 8 this year.

Otsukare

Neo Member
Xian can probably take out Infiltration.

Yup, I'm with this. Hate to see everyone hoping Infil loses but I really don't want to see him win again either.

Wish Ryan Heart would do something.

I wanna see Sako bring some Evil Ryu action, doubt we will see it though, Ibuki if he decides to show up.

AE aka matchup fighter four is really about bracket seating..especially in such a big tournament like Evo. You meet up against two bad matchups and your tournament life is over. If you took the same competitors at Evo and ran the same tournament again, I think you would get a different top 8 each time.

Although Infiltration is a lock because I think he has an easy path to top 8 this year.

Infiltration wouldn't slip to your Daigos or Xians, it's those Riceata/K-Brad who will make him slip up and upset him. So an "easy path" could very well be a hard path for Infiltration, because he'll be up against players who he isn't ready to play against.

Really looking forward to SF4 team tourney and the main tournament. Also hoping we get some solid info on the version 2013/14/CE/whatever they call it. I'm rooting for Sako and Daigo to win AE. Daigo because he's Daigo and I've been a fanboy of his like many others since the 2004 parry video. Sako because he's using my main character and I want to see Evil Ryu win EVO. KOK is also attending but I don't think he'll even crack top 32.

As for the team tournament, I wish they didn't allow Laugh and Infiltration to be on team wild card. It just feels like Korea 2+Popi. I'd rather they remove one of the two(lol it would definitely be Laugh between the 2) and add a player from another region or at least another European country. Not a big deal, but that's my preference for how the team tourney should have been. And it didn't surprise me one bit that Infiltration and Poongko have continued to not be apart of the same team in country vs country tournaments.

OceanBlue

KOK is also attending but I don't think he'll even crack top 32.

Is this because you feel that KOK isn't that strong of a player or is it due to the amount of players there? To be honest, I think I've only seen KOK play once and I don't remember how that was.

Dahbomb

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";69063341]Except that time it wasn't, like last year with TACs. And the year before that, when Rog pulled Acid Rain into Devil Trigger out of nowhere.[/QUOTE]
So TAC infinites were performed in top 8 of UMVC3? Rog won EVO with this "new" tech? What about the Kubo escape? The Lightning Loops? The Firebrand death loop? Vergil's Round Trip glitch? Justin's Wolverine tech? All those anti Phoenix tech?

Hidden tech discovered soon before EVO had little impact on the results. However tech found last year would come into play this year mainly the TAC infinites, Round Trip glitch and maybe even the Kubo escape if Champ is playing. Both FChamp and Viscant won with strategies and tech that were known by most players at the time, they didn't pull out any secret stuff it was all business.

xCobalt

Just based on past performance, Infiltration's only threat is cammy players he's never played against. Unless he's played Xiao Hai, I can imagine infiltration losing to him

Perhaps download was too strong, didn't feel at any point Rog really threatened though, was pretty straight forward.

The thing is I only really back him when the pressure is on. He goes up a level but still plays so freely. A lot of other players, even those who might body him elsewhere freeze up.

Is this because you feel that KOK isn't that strong of a player or is it due to the amount of players there? To be honest, I think I've only seen KOK play once and I don't remember how that was.

A combination of both, he's good, but he's not elite and this tournament is chock full of elite talent from everywhere in the world. Him making top 32 or top 8 would require good draws and luck(to avoid bad match ups).

Besides seeing his Evil Ryu pop up on Youtube once in a while. The most I've ever seen of his ER is when he faced Juso(KOFUM2002 is his Xbox Live tag) Sakura in a FT10 and he got bodied 10-5 I think. The thing is that he wasn't competitive in a lot of matches, he got bullied and dominated. I don't have much to base his skill on, but that's my guess based on what I've seen so far. I'd love him to prove me wrong though. Too bad Naruo couldn't come, he's got probably the 2nd best Evil Ryu next to Sako's.

Hackbert

yess hype. subscribed hard. btw, i bet it was already mentioned... the OP looks great but with the dark theme on, it has visibility problems cause of rest white pixels

The thing is I only really back him when the pressure is on. He goes up a level but still plays so freely. A lot of other players, even those who might body him elsewhere freeze up.

Pretty much this. Rog has always been straight forward in his play, it's his ability to apply relentless pressure that makes him dangerous. In causals people can download him and body him, but in tourneys he can force his opponents to dumb down their play and choke to his pressure.

Chavelo

OH GOD

5aVapam.jpg

QUICK, MODS ARE SLEEPING, POST HYPE VIDS!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBfIMIz6_ME

FYC

Banned
Fantastic thread, great job.

First time watching EVO live(hopefully). Can't wait for Injustice.

Who else is watching both MK and Injustice
6SQqRtH.png

Ikon

So sad I won't get to watch much of evo this year due to work. In a way it's a good thing tho cause I feel like chrisg will take marvel and I just hate watching that guy play. Nothing against him personally, it's just gone on for too long without anyone really challenging him.

Jamie OD

Only saw a little of last year's tournament but am intrigued enough this year to jump straight into the deep end. Should be fun.

Woot! I will have the whole weekend off. I am ready. Although I wish there was more Tag 2 going to be shown. Also wouldn't mind more Persona, as I haven't really seen to much highlevel stuff recently.

Can't wait, Sako is gonna destroy some poor souls.

Would buy the premium stream pass in an instant if I was sure Twitch were capable of providing the 720p/60fps feed without lagging or stuttering (care more about the smoother framerate than the rez bump tbh) but since the overall twitch performance lately has been worse than last year, which also lagged, I think I'm gonna stay free.

Pepto

Banned
Prediction time:

Who I want to win AE: Alioune
Who I think will win AE: Infiltration
Who I want to win UMvC3: Zak Bennett
Who I think will win UMvC3: Chris G

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Can't wait, Sako is gonna destroy some poor souls.

Would buy the premium stream pass in an instant if I was sure Twitch were capable of providing the 720p/60fps feed without lagging or stuttering (care more about the smoother framerate than the rez bump tbh) but since the overall twitch performance lately has been worse than last year, which also lagged, I think I'm gonna stay free.
For me not having to deal with stream ads makes it entirely worth it.

Haunted

Tekken finals on the first day, nothing else streamed?

Markman am cry

I want to see some Asians make it to Marvel top 8 and some non-Asians contesting SSFIV and SFxT.

Haunted

Also, the winner of CM also won Marvel last year, so Dios X is clearly the favourite.

face of a champion

DIOSX_june-227x300.jpg

BadWolf

KOFXIII: Haregoro, Kaoru or KouKou
AE: definitely rooting for Daigo, Kazunoko or Sako in the alternative

Overall hoping that the same players as last year don't win again, would be kind of boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom