• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve |OT| Leaving Monsters 4 Dead

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
The best medics for healing are caira and slim.This new game mode is clearly for winning the monsters.I'm fucking tired in the xbox one of losing and losing being the hunters in arena mode.

If you are a good player playing the monsters you have high chances of winning.

I'm digging Arena too now. I feel like its a good warmup for how the game feels before jumping into Hunt. I also feel more comfortable playing hunters I'm more uneasy with in there which is good experience with them. The fast matches are nice and help the jump in jump out nature of it. I was worried it would split the already small community but so far I haven't had issues finding matches in either mode. But I do wish they would make a matchmaking search mode that just searches for both Hunt and Arena.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Looks like we won't reach the goal. The challenge ends in 10 hours and according to the forums we only have ~21k wins right now.

I tried Arena for the first time this weekend and didn't like it that much, but I understand why they added this mode and it's free, so I won't complain.

Is impossible to reach the necessary wins when they make a gamemode for the people who like to be the monster and give to him clearly advantages for winning against the hunters.

vazel

Banned
Is impossible to reach the necessary wins when they make a gamemode for the people who like to be the monster and give to him clearly advantages for winning against the hunters.
A stage 2 fight against a competent hunter team is most definitely not in favor of the monster. The problem is that the hunters require skill and coordination, qualities which the average pub player lacks.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this is a bad game to play in pubs. This is the sort of game you play in scrims with people that know what they're doing. I usually don't advocate dumbing down games but I do hope they make Evolve 2 more accessible for pub play.

Looks like we're not going to make the goal, bummer but oh well it was a fun weekend event. Abe is a beast in arena, and managing his shotgun spread can put so much damage on a monster even at long range. Arena has also helped me out a ton with my Parnell as far as knowing when to best use Super Soldier for maximum effectiveness.

A stage 2 fight against a competent hunter team is most definitely not in favor of the monster. The problem is that the hunters require skill and coordination, qualities which the average pub player lacks.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this is a bad game to play in pubs. This is the sort of game you play in scrims with people that know what they're doing. I usually don't advocate dumbing down games but I do hope they make Evolve 2 more accessible for pub play.

I think there is some truth to the statement people make where in Evolve an effective team needs 4 people working together intelligently whereas an effective monster is just one lone player and thus it's like there is more effort needed on the hunters part to be competitive.

Honestly this game has gotten better for me as I went up in ranks and people just play smarter in general and know what to do (and unfortunately people who it didn't click for just stopped playing entirely). One of the most frustrating things when I first started playing was teams and trappers who only follow tracks, now I almost never see that, teams generally spread out intelligently to cut off a monster and don't solely rely on the trapper. Not that it happens every time, but it does make me stick in the game a lot longer when I find a good coordinated team. I will usually stick around until people start leaving first.

I think the #1 thing they could do to make it more accessible for public play is simply make the monster team have more than 1 player. Balance it so it works somehow, but in my experience the people who dropped this game that I know just hated playing the monster. Not because it was poorly made, but because it's a 'hot seat' position and if you feel somewhat left out of the team dynamic the game provides. It's a lot of pressure and it's the same reason 1v1 based games in general have fallen off in lieu of team based games, people don't like all the pressure to be only on them and would like teammates to both rely upon and blame. This game would have likely done so much better if it was like 2 monsters vs 6 or 8 hunters.

vazel

Banned
Looks like TRS is responding to the Abe meta by reducing his dart tracking duration to 35 seconds. I still think 35 seconds is too long considering how easy it is to spam his darts but it's a step in the right direction. Also, Goliath got some much needed buffs.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Am I the only one that loves being the monster? It's the best part of the game for me, and the only mode that provides real tension.

I think the opposite of you.I love the game because i like to be the hunters and i hate to be the monster.I always play evacuation coop because i don't want to a human be the monster.And if i play a different game mode like arena, and i have to be the monster i exit the game and search again for another game.

Mathi

I haven't played Evolve in a while, but the new Assault looks cool. I will definitely jump back in next week and try her.

Have they said anything about new maps or when the other T5 hunters and monster will be released?

Klyka

Banned
Included in the Season Pass?

There is no season pass. There has never been a season pass. it has always been teh "hunting season" pass and was ONLY for tier 4.

The hunting season pass is now "hunting season pass 1". This has the tier 4 hunters in it.

There will now be a "hunting season pass 2" which will have all the tier 5 hunters in it. I reckon the tier 5 monster will be sold seperate.
Edit: Just read that season pass 2 WILL have the monster in it.

Bru

Looking forward to the new hunters and monster! Lennox on assault seems ideal for blocking play, especially with her immunity to knock backs and ability to slam into the enemy from a distance.

How are you all finding the lobbies and matchmaking side of things? I still don't have a problem being placed into games that are either full or fill up very quickly, not bad for a title so many people almost gleefully pronounce as being dead.

They really should have simultaneously teased some new free maps when they revealed they're going to do another set of hunters and a monster. That would hopefully alleviate the new wave anti-DLC furor that was inevitable with this game's history. People would have maybe seen it as I do, I'd much rather get new free maps and not have to buy anything while my game gets better regardless because if I don't play Monster I still get a new monster to fight. Same goes for the hunters, but I'll probably buy the pass in that case because I like playing different classes with new abilities.

Klyka

Banned
They really should have simultaneously teased some new free maps when they revealed they're going to do another set of hunters and a monster. That would hopefully alleviate the new wave anti-DLC furor that was inevitable with this game's history. People would have maybe seen it as I do, I'd much rather get new free maps and not have to buy anything while my game gets better regardless because if I don't play Monster I still get a new monster to fight. Same goes for the hunters, but I'll probably buy the pass in that case because I like playing different classes with new abilities.

Well they did literally just release the Arena mode for free.
I am sure new maps are around the corner,especially since, as far as I can tell, the new hunters are all released bit by bit and not as one big team.

I'm up to #5 global on Xbone with Goliath. I'll pass #4 eventually just because thay person stopped playing as soon as the update came out that made you get a loss for quitting. So that player is at 850 wins and 1 loss for a W/L ratio of 850 LOL. Mine is 756 wins and 42 losses for a 14.04 or something.

Seems I only lose now if I really fuck up or if I play a really good team and time runs out. That's not to say it's a result of any skill, this game just badly needs ranked matchmaking. Games are constantly 1 or 2 good hunters mixed in with trash. One bad hunter and you might as well not even bother, unless the monster user is really bad.

I am super stoked for Lennox. She looks incredible. Love the idea of a melee assault. I'm also glad they are spacing out tier 5 content, hopefully it allows them to balance them better.

Then again we still have bodies dropping through the floor, which makes Laz cry. And Goliath leap smashes that do 0 damage. I guess 2k is making them prioritize DLC over bugs.

I don't know how well ranked matchmaking would work with such low player counts though, it might end up leading to really long wait times that just lead to people quitting the game or something.

Maybe the solution should be just some way for more experienced players to influence the game more and less experienced ones to have less of a negative impact on it, sort of like a handicap. In my experience the most damaging thing an inexperienced player has done is play trapper and never dome the monster, perhaps there could be a system where the other players could call in a dome or something that has the trapper do it automatically.

I really don't know but at the end of it I think the general idea is to gradually remove the complete reliance on the individual team members and make them all sort of effective at things other than their specific role. This game is excellent at requiring teamplay, but that doesn't work well in a public setting with random people. It's just too high a requirement that every single player be on point for the team to be effective, it has to allow for carrys.

I'm up to #5 global on Xbone with Goliath. I'll pass #4 eventually just because thay person stopped playing as soon as the update came out that made you get a loss for quitting. So that player is at 850 wins and 1 loss for a W/L ratio of 850 LOL. Mine is 756 wins and 42 losses for a 14.04 or something.

Seems I only lose now if I really fuck up or if I play a really good team and time runs out. That's not to say it's a result of any skill, this game just badly needs ranked matchmaking. Games are constantly 1 or 2 good hunters mixed in with trash. One bad hunter and you might as well not even bother, unless the monster user is really bad.

The last few times I played I wasn't even going up against full teams of players. At that point I don't even try to hide, just go out, eat, evolve to 2 and kill them all when they catch up. It's a joke.

Mathi

The Hunting Season 2 Pass is now available on Steam for 22,99€. Looks like they dropped the prices for DLC, hunters are now 4,99€ and monsters are 9,99€ (at least Behemoth is, but I don't think they will sell the new one for 15€ again). I don't think it will greatly improve the playerbase, but it's nice to see the new (and old) DLC more reasonably priced.

PCMR owners also get the complete season 2 for free.

Any Lennox impressions? That's super cool about the PCMR edition getting all the season 2 stuff, shows at least they are aware of how much damage the dlc stuff did to the game and are trying to offset it early.

I bought Lennox. She's incredibly fun to use because you're constantly engaged. It's not like the other assaults where you basically just hold the trigger button down. Her leap smash attack is insane, too. Does tons of damage and is a great juke move.

But that melee style and constant close proximity to the monster makes you go down FAST. Some are saying her shield might be bugged and I am inclined to agree. I know I was downed in a game last night while my shield was up.

Her Lance combined with Cabot just does crazy damage. I was melting off a bar of health at a time it seemed..

Podge293

As the game is now on sale on the Xbox store (no more room on the playstation), would it be worth the buy? Like is the community still active?

Sorry if there's somewhere to check this stuff out but couldn't find anything

q_q

The Hunting Season 2 Pass is now available on Steam for 22,99€. Looks like they dropped the prices for DLC, hunters are now 4,99€ and monsters are 9,99€ (at least Behemoth is, but I don't think they will sell the new one for 15€ again). I don't think it will greatly improve the playerbase, but it's nice to see the new (and old) DLC more reasonably priced.

PCMR owners also get the complete season 2 for free.

Wait wait wait. Does this mean if you own the game on pc you get season 2 characters and monster for free? That seems way too good to be true given this game's history.

Edit: Ah I see, only that one edition.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
It's not a bug, it's a feature!

-_-

19fwzw476fytpjpg.jpg

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Lennox is fucking incredible.My favourite character right now.When TR puts sunny, was sunny my favourite but with all the updates nerfing and nerfing sunny is disgusting play with her right now.
I hope Tr don't fuck lennox with updates decreasing her stats like always make with all the characters favoring the monsters like always.

Challenge this week

Turtle rock, LOOK IS THE FUCKING BUG FROM THE ALPHA OF NOVEMBER AND STILL PRESENT IN THE GAME!!!!!!!!!!!! WOW!!!!!!!! don't fix the bug and keep nerfing the hunters that is good, but not fix a BIG PROBLEM from a hunter that prevent him to use an important ability.

Seriously,anyone knows what happen with turtle rock and the bug of lazarus?They don't know how to repair the problem or don't want to fix it?

I can't believe the bodies falling through the ground thing still isn't fixed, its basically game breaking for Lazarus and ruins the entire strategy of the character.

Definitely going to jump back in for this weekend's challenge even though I never play support, I just always like the increased activity during challenges and people are usually more laid back knowing that its less about pro strats and more about hitting the goal through characters people might not be completely good with.

Debating getting the new pass but I really wish they'd get the characters out sooner, I mean March 2016? The last one did not take nearly as long though I know they were probably in development after the game went gold pre-release. If it was over the course of like 4-5 months I'd be way more into it.

Robso

Does shareplay work with Evolve on the PS4? If so, is it possible for you to play online together as different characters?

Ghazi

Just got the game. LOL @ buying the season pass and not getting the Behemoth. What a joke, really turned me off from bothering playing the game I just bought. Anyways, anyone here on Xbox?

Bru

Just got the game. LOL @ buying the season pass and not getting the Behemoth. What a joke, really turned me off from bothering playing the game I just bought. Anyways, anyone here on Xbox?

Try going to the in game store from the title screen and purchasing the season pass or Behemoth from there. Instead of being charged it should say you already own the item and will install it. It's how I got my content to pull through.

As for playing on Xbox? My Live ID is in my GAF profile, feel free to send a request. Just post a message to let me know you're from here.

Ghazi

Try going to the in game store from the title screen and purchasing the season pass or Behemoth from there. Instead of being charged it should say you already own the item and will install it. It's how I got my content to pull through.

As for playing on Xbox? My Live ID is in my GAF profile, feel free to send a request. Just post a message to let me know you're from here.

Damn! You're right! When I try to buy the season 1 pass in the in-game store it says that I already own it and I can either install it or cancel that screen. However, I can see a popup for the Behemoth underneath the Season Pass 1 purchase screen. I can't buy the Behemoth though, it won't let me, since the only options to get rid of the Season 1 pass popup get rid of the Behemoth one. That's annoying. I also sent the friend request with a message.

Bru

Oh my...

http://www.projecttriforce.com/index.php?p=catalog&parent=27&pg=1

New Evolve collectable statues from Triforce. I managed to pre-order the Savage Goliath for an absolute bargain but now I really need to show some restraint! That Carnivore Kraken is a thing of monstrous beauty.

Damn! You're right! When I try to buy the season 1 pass in the in-game store it says that I already own it and I can either install it or cancel that screen. However, I can see a popup for the Behemoth underneath the Season Pass 1 purchase screen. I can't buy the Behemoth though, it won't let me, since the only options to get rid of the Season 1 pass popup get rid of the Behemoth one. That's annoying. I also sent the friend request with a message.

I've added you to my friends list, will send you an Evolve invite when I next see you online.

If you have no joy with the Behemoth install, get in touch with Turtle Rock via the official forum:

https://talk.turtlerockstudios.com

They will sort you out.

SaberVulcan

So I have been playing this again lately (PC). Anyone here still kicking around?

I prefer to play the monster but I wouldnt mind the hunters assuming I play with some competent folk. My favorite hunter class is Trapper... but its so disheartening when I can find and trap a monster and we can barely scratch his shield -_-

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
This was happening on PC a few weeks ago, but I think a micropatch fixed it. Was so annoying, literally game saving revives getting bugged out. I initially thought it was something wrong with my controls until I found out other people were getting it.

In the xbox one is still present and i think this bug was introduced in the last big patch.

Another bug

Top Bottom