• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EX-Rare talks Killer Instinct - KI SNES sold over 3 million, KI2 for SNES...

MOAR ORCHID

cosplay-orchid15.jpg

killer-instinct-gold-1996-b-orchid1.jpg

ki2_b_orchid_mov.jpg

orchid.jpg

how does she fit in that car

also goddamn Orchid's face is uncanny nowadays. It's bizarre how by DKC2 Rare was actually pretty damn good by the game industry's standards at CGI work but they could still never get humans looking right, even up to Perfect Dark's promotional artwork.

Satchel said:
Yet you get this guy who was with Rare from almost day dot, and left only 2 years ago saying KI should almost become like an MMO and yet everyone talks about "old staff are gone from Rare, Rare will never be the same"

Well this is an 'old staffer' who wants to turn KI into an MMO?!
I'm pretty sure he's using WoW as an analogy in that it made the MMO genre more accessible, not that he'd literally turn KI in to an MMO.

GuitarAtomik said:
I'm pretty sure he's using WoW as an analogy in that it made the MMO genre more accessible, not that he'd turn KI in to an MMO.

Exactly what I thought.

I assumed this was crystal clear to everyone.

Ultratech

fernoca said:
I'd love to see Killer Instinct 2 on SNES. ..if it was pretty far ahead, maybe there's some old video or something hidden somewhere.

Hadn't seen much of anything regarding that, though according to a Retro Gamer article done on Rare sometime back, it was supposedly complete.

My best guess is that either Rare and/or Nintendo has it locked up in a vault someplace.

Astrosanity said:
also goddamn Orchid's face is uncanny nowadays. It's bizarre how by DKC2 Rare was actually pretty damn good by the game industry's standards at CGI work but they could still never get humans looking right, even up to Perfect Dark's promotional artwork.
always thought that version was supposed to look like janet jackson. so.. they nailed the plastic face look 100%

GreggTheGrimReaper said:
I've been waiting for KI3 for 15 years now, I won't get my hopes up. And I still think the character designs are awesome.

ki_flyer_2.jpg
Lulz, 64 bit technology. God, looking back at how "bits" used to be so important and a seeming indicator of a console's power is pretty funny. It's almost "blast processing" silly now.

Also, sign me up for a new KI. I used to spend ungodly amounts of time playing KI and Gold, and their arcade counterparts. It's probably just my childhood/rose tinted glasses on, but I'd be there day one :(

Pyrrhus

Oh man. The character design was always bad, but fifteen years on, it stinks like wet garbage on a summer day. KI2 Orchid's wasp waist and bright orange skin are gross.

Sydle

Can't see a reboot going over well unless they all of sudden figured out how to make a good fighting game. SF, Tekken, SC, and MK have never gone away...it's been nearly 15 years since the last KI. Might as well make a new franchise and just let KI rest.

In any case, I really love the look of Fusion: Genesis as an XBLA release. Hope it turns out great.

EDIT: Would have been cool if they would openly talk about the decisions behind fucking up Perfect Dark Zero. I see they explained why they didn't get another chance (Halo and Gears covered the shooter genre well enough).

Astrosanity said:
Rights are almost definitely Rare's, though it may of been owned by Nintendo at one point. I know a couple other of Rare's franchises like Banjo at the time were legally just as much Nintendo-owned as Mario, so they might somehow have some (but probably only a tiny amount) stake in it.

KI and Banjo are 100% owned by Microsoft and have been since 2002.

Duffyside

Banned
DopeyFish said:
make it more accessible? thank god you're not working on a potential future KI

accessibility is a death trap, and usually (read: almost always) makes a game from good to complete and utter shit
Yup, thank God for that. As is, we're not going to play a new Killer Instinct. If they made a new one, yeah, we MIGHT like it and play it, but we also might not like and not want to play it. I'm glad they're relieving us of that tough decision.
Derp.

Mlatador

Banned
why do such great developers have to part? why couldn't they have stayed together? they had such an awesome team, great ip's, everything. they could have become the next blizzard.

Rawker

damn i remember paying $115 CDN for KI on the SNES on launch day.

i really think they could make a new KI work because when you look at the progression from KI to KI 2/Gold they really started to balance the SP battles into VS battles.

+1 vote for KI GOLD on XBLA!

I remember going to Kay Bees to pick up KI Gold on N64, probably my brother and I's most anticipated game for the system other than Mario. I want to say it was Black Friday too, cause the store was packed and we had to wait in line. Cost $80 after taxes too.

I doubt there will ever be a sequel though. KI was popular, but that was a LONG time ago, I wouldnt' put it in the same boat as MK or Street Fighter as those were far larger names, and didn't disappear off the face of the earth. Capcom and Midway/NR kept the brands relevant, even if the games weren't always good. There literally hasn't been a Killer Instinct game in 15 years. A huge segment of gamers don't even know what the fuck it is. You might as well be making a new Primal Rage or Time Killers.

I'd be thrilled to see a KI3 with refreshed character designs, new poly models, a revamped fighting system, and an over-the-top soundtrack. Just keep it away from Kinect and we're golden.

Cheesemeister said:
I'd be thrilled to see a KI3 with refreshed character designs, new poly models, a revamped fighting system, and an over-the-top soundtrack. Just keep it away from Kinect and we're golden.

if they do, they better retcon TJ Combo's design. I don't know WTF they did to him in 2.

Astrosanity said:

All of the women from the KI series look like missing links in the face.

loosus

Banned
Even now, when I see the artwork for Killer Instinct and Donkey Kong Country, I have flashbacks of "now this is the future." Like, I was actually convinced that they somehow found a way to make my SNES produce SGI-quality graphics.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
Man, I tell you dudes, the Christmas I was 16 or 17 I got KI Gold and Cruis'n USA from my parents, and a mini keg of awful beer and a box of cheap cigars from my siblings and it was the best damn Christmas I ever had.

I stand with those stout fellows who count the KI games as beyond reproach. And I'll go further still and say that KI Gold was an amazing achievement for it's time for a home console. I'll always love the KI crew, they were just so damn goofy.

Mr. Robot

I always felt so badass when i beat someone and the commentator screamed "ULTRA! ULTRA! ULTRA!", also, i think the thrashiness of the character design was its appeal.

Salsa

what would be the correct way to type the sounds sabrewulf made when he was hurt? that's by far the most memorable thing about KI

EWWEERJHAG

its impossible

CO_Andy

SalsaShark said:
what would be the correct way to type the sounds sabrewulf made when he was hurt? that's by far the most memorable thing about KI

EWWEERJHAG

its impossible
woof, woof woof?

Fulgore's sounds are from a pig, so it's like...

I wanted to go make SFIV at one point... I think KI 3 is my new goal one day. I love KI and the man is a fool for thinking it couldn't just be an update of the fighting series. His rhetoric was all complete bullshit.

I'm certain I could make an awesome KI3. I remember getting obsessed with the manual into auto combos in KI Gold. Such a great game.

Kiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiing! COMBO!

2th

Banned
east of eastside said:
Was the KI announcer ever ID'd? Is his name in the credits?

he wasnt that great honestly. best game announcer is still the one from Unreal Tournament. Not Ut2003 or UT3, but the first Unreal Tournament.

v1oz

Astrosanity said:

It's funny how back in those days, at the time that CG artwork looked really good. It's about on the same level as other CG at the like Beast Wars Transformers and Reboot. But now it looks atrocious.

I wouldn't even blame the technology or the tools because that is purely bad art.

Top Bottom