• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

exA-Arcadia CEO: "We aim to be the next Neo Geo" (interview)

DjQOxAdV4AEzyv_.jpg

Eric Chung, the CEO of exA-Arcadia, did an interview with French shmup website shmupemall.com. Some excerpts from the interview below:

– Can you introduce exA-Arcadia ?

Eric Chung: exA-Arcadia is a platform based on PC hardware; the specs are stronger than those of the PS4 Pro. I think we are more powerful than any existing consoles as of today. Our objective with exA-Arcadia is to make it easy for creators to make a game on our platform, since both console and arcade worlds tend to converge towards PC hardware. We could have made something like a FPGA system, but then no one would have developed games for us. That’s why we chose a PC-based system.

When you look at some places like South America, South East Asia or Middle East, some of these regions can’t afford the most expensive arcade games like Japan can. For example, the new Gundam game, Mobile Suit Gundam: Extreme Vs. 2, that will come out later this year will cost $55,000. There’s no way a small arcade, even in Japan, could afford this.

That’s the main reason why arcade owners want to have a modular system where you can switch between different games, and that’s why exA-Arcadia will support four games. We really hope to become the next NEOGEO.

– Could you give us a list of development studios that are ready to partake in the exA-Arcadia adventure and promote it?
Eric Chung: We will in due time announce each studio that is working with us, but you can be sure that every major Japanese arcade developer, outside of the big guys, will join us. As you have seen today, M2 has officially joined with exA-Arcadia.

And even in the west we have many developers ready to support exA-Arcadia with more “indie” but fairly famous games people already know. These games may have been crowd funded or popular on Steam or other platforms. We will announce them in the near future. There are over 35 companies ready to support exA-Arcadia.

006.jpg

– Have you been contacted by game centers such as Round One or others? Do you have plans regarding distribution in occident, a potential exportation network?

Eric Chung: In Japan we have been contacted by Round One and many major chains. We will also probably work with a very big distributor who networks with Round One, SEGA and Taito. We will probably make an announcement about that later this year. For other parts of the world like South-East Asia, we were contacted by the biggest local chain already; the same with Australia. For the United States, we already met with Dave & Buster’s. So for the US, Japan and South-East Asia, we have a pretty good coverage area already.

– Do you intend to create a « consolized » version of your arcade system, such as Neo Geo AES?
Eric Chung: At the moment, no, we are not considering making a consolized exA-Arcadia. We feel that if you are an arcade collector you probably already have the means to play this at home. Also, supporting a home version makes it a bit more difficult for the creators as well. It induces more overhead to make these things, and our aim is really to support arcade. So no, it’s not a priority right now.

– At what price do you intend to sell an exA-Arcadia kit? And what about games?
Eric Chung: We have not really announced a price yet, but you can expect one kit, motherboard plus game, to cost around US$2000. And then, depending on the game, around $1000 to $1500. We are still looking into this to see what the price will be. But as you know, a new CAVE shooting game was sold around $1800, so it’s more or less the standard price in Japan.

The interview is quite long. Please read the rest at shmupemall.com. Exciting times!

No one can be the next Neo Geo.

Neo Geo seems like a perfect storm. That doesn't mean they can't make something great on their own.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
Is there really, honestly a market for this? Arcades died because of easier access / more affordable gaming at home.....with friends.

With Leader boards, online play, bigger screens and couch, are people really prepared to travel to throw coins in machines these days? I'm prepared to be wrong.

An indie console for the home, certainly in the vein of the Neo Geo and not Ouya would be a much better way to go IMHO if done right.

The timing too is key as AAA gaming is taking a huge hit with controversy after controversy.

N N1tr0sOx1d3 In the USA, this probably won't take off. But in certain countries in Europe, in Japan, China, S. Korea, and South American countries (Brazil especially) arcades are still turning a profit.

The problem is that the only companies still making arcade games and arcade hardware are big names like SEGA and Bandai-Namco. Their games are very expensive and charge a steep premium, while the arcade proprietor only makes pennies. Just a few months ago the most popular Tekken arcade in S. Korea which was where many regional and world champs played and practiced closed down due to lack of profitability.

Shin

Banned
Didn't read all that, but if someone is paying that person then perhaps they have too much money to waste.
Can't replicate NG's history because for one a big part of it was due to arcades which is very dead, Japan/HK alone won't cut it.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
N N1tr0sOx1d3 In the USA, this probably won't take off. But in certain countries in Europe, in Japan, China, S. Korea, and South American countries (Brazil especially) arcades are still turning a profit.

The problem is that the only companies still making arcade games and arcade hardware are big names like SEGA and Bandai-Namco. Their games are very expensive and charge a steep premium, while the arcade proprietor only makes pennies. Just a few months ago the most popular Tekken arcade in S. Korea which was where many regional and world champs played and practiced closed down due to lack of profitability.

Yeah, this wouldn't be successful over here in the UK either. The costs of owning a property or renting plus running costs would prevent, as you quite rightly say, turn a profit.

Don't get me wrong, I wish everyone success and I hope this venture works out for them. I just can't envision this working out in the UK.
I

I miss having arcades everywhere. I miss Blockbuster or CD stores or having a wide variety of physical magazines to choose from. It was a much better experience than consuming shit online and bitching about it on social media. Current year sucks ass.

lock2k

Banned
I miss having arcades everywhere. I miss Blockbuster or CD stores or having a wide variety of physical magazines to choose from. It was a much better experience than consuming shit online and bitching about it on social media. Current year sucks ass.

Absolutely agree. And it's not even nostalgia... I mean... it was interesting going to places and having all kinds of cool shit to do. Today's world feels so sterile. I also miss gigantic record stores.

I love the convenience of a lot of stuff, but it seemed like we always had new stuff to find on the streets and everything is in the palm of your hands now, and while it's comfortable, the whole magical experiences that we had was lost. The world felt more colorful.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
Absolutely agree. And it's not even nostalgia... I mean... it was interesting going to places and having all kinds of cool shit to do. Today's world feels so sterile. I also miss gigantic record stores.

I love the convenience of a lot of stuff, but it seemed like we always had new stuff to find on the streets and everything is in the palm of your hands now, and while it's comfortable, the whole magical experiences that we had was lost. The world felt more colorful.

Couldn't agree more. Something to look forward to in the school holidays.

I'm 42, so my memory is vague, do people suffer from a lack of money these days for such leisure time compared to say 30 years ago?

I really do like the concept of giving small and indie developers better access to the arcade market, but after reading the whole article, this strikes me more as a business targeted at the arcade collector's market, than something sustainable in what remains of the consumer arcade industry. Distribution deals and the company's ability to produce product will be big factors, but the price of game cartridges seems too high for the content they're currently set to deliver; and upfront, none of this comes across as very profitable for the game developers (although, admittedly, there's still some prestige to be had from legitimately getting a game into arcades).

Regardless, it'd be awesome to play one of these units in the wild, and I hope it works-out for all the parties involved.

Yeah it was different when you looked at a movie at a Blockbuster. You had the thing in your hand and you kind of had to think about it since it cost money, nowadays people just stream or torrent that shit without second thought and complain that it sucks. I don't think it's nostalgia either, you had a lot of reasons to get out of your house in the old days which aren't there anymore. We're becoming more and more isolated and our social lives mostly consist of pretending to be people we're not.

Many times I didn't even rent a movie, going out to get it was a nice way to clean my head. I'd drink a coffee, look at people and just kind of be there. Being there was nice and while I also appreciate the convenience we have today, it makes me sad that we basically don't have the option anymore. Going to a mall today is a stupid quick endeavor, you go to get the shit you want. It feels like in the past you had a lot of reasons to be there. Go to the record store, movie place and generally anything you couldn't easily get online today. Now if you can't stay there too long obliviously looking at shit or people will think you're severely mentally handicapped.

Basically I wish the convenience was a bit less convenient lol.

Top Bottom