• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Green Game Land (그린게임랜드) in Daerim, South Korea is shutting down (huge Tekken and shmup destination)

Sad news for any KoreaGAF and for the fighting-game and shmup community in Korea.

5561941520_91285bc873.jpg

For many years, Green Arcade has been the cultural Tekken mecca that produced the best players in the entire world and you can see it with walls filled with posters and trophies across many Tekken games. All the longstanding history from the arcade; dating back to ancient days of the earlier Tekkens, are now over. The future for Korean Tekken in arcades is now uncertain.

Sad to see them go. :( Look at the trophies just sitting on the floor and all the championship posters...

Source at Avoidingthepuddle.com

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Seeing those trophies and knowing they closed is sad. To think I was sad about all the Aladdin's Castles closing. Their posters are awesome. The only poster I ever saw for Tekken was for Tekken Tag. The place here in town that had a large amount of Japanese boards, now runs all their games on a single MAME machine. It's a shell of its former self.

In North America, the family arcades with pizza buffets are still around. I don't see any traditional arcades. I personally miss tokens. Anymore they have all switched to these swipe cards with credits. One game is so many credits. I never see fighting games. Even Dave & Busters doesn't have fighting games.

My state just had our largest mom and pop game store close. They were in two different states. The reason they closed was because they weren't making any money. Consoles and PC's have certainly made an impact on both retail and the arcade scene.

Last edited:
Seeing those trophies and knowing they closed is sad. To think I was sad about all the Aladdin's Castles closing. Their posters are awesome. The only poster I ever saw for Tekken was for Tekken Tag. The place here in town that had a large amount of Japanese boards, now runs all their games on a single MAME machine. It's a shell of its former self.

In North America, the family arcades with pizza buffets are still around. I don't see any traditional arcades. I personally miss tokens. Anymore they have all switched to these swipe cards with credits. One game is so many credits. I never see fighting games. Even Dave & Busters doesn't have fighting games.

My state just had our largest mom and pop game store close. They were in two different states. The reason they closed was because they weren't making any money. Consoles and PC's have certainly made an impact on both retail and the arcade scene.
What a bummer! Round One seems to be building up more of the traditional-style arcades in the USA but I haven't been to one personally so I can't vouch for their quality.

baphomet

What a bummer! Round One seems to be building up more of the traditional-style arcades in the USA but I haven't been to one personally so I can't vouch for their quality.

They're pretty great actually. I actually know quite a few traditional style arcades in the greater Denver area including "mom and pop" shops importing the newest Japanese rhythm games.

A.Romero

Sad but inevitable.... Online gaming pretty much made arcades obsolete (I know it's not the same experience but on a practical level is hard to justify the extra spending unless you are really really hardcore).

Sad but inevitable.... Online gaming pretty much made arcades obsolete (I know it's not the same experience but on a practical level is hard to justify the extra spending unless you are really really hardcore).
Well that's the thing: this arcade was home to a number of top-tier players, so while the closure is sad for regular ol' arcade fans, it is a damaging blow to the Korean Tekken scene (and to a lesser degree, the shmup scene) in that area. Lots of talent came from this arcade, apparently.

A.Romero

Well that's the thing: this arcade was home to a number of top-tier players, so while the closure is sad for regular ol' arcade fans, it is a damaging blow to the Korean Tekken scene (and to a lesser degree, the shmup scene) in that area. Lots of talent came from this arcade, apparently.

Yeah, I get it. Problem is that they need the casuals' money to support a business :(

Stuff like this was common in my country 15 years ago... It's a shame.

petran79

Banned
Yeah, I get it. Problem is that they need the casuals' money to support a business :(

Stuff like this was common in my country 15 years ago... It's a shame.

During arcades era you did not even need to own a console with the game. Now except the arcade version you also need to own the console versions, which adds up to costs too. Arcades also became much more expensive to play for casual players.

A.Romero

During arcades era you did not even need to own a console with the game. Now except the arcade version you also need to own the console versions, which adds up to costs too. Arcades also became much more expensive to play for casual players.

I didn't know that. It doesn't make sense to me...

petran79

Banned
I didn't know that. It doesn't make sense to me...

One reason why arcades now focused on game booths that you can not reproduce at home, eg racing games with wheel/pedal setups, shooters like HOTD or Silent Scope, Guitar Hero etc . There was even an arcade version of Plants vs Zombies. Plus the occasional flipper games, table hockey, crane games etc. Traditional genres that thrived in the 90s like fighters and shmups moved to the home console space.
It is sad that just like home video games, playing ancient 2d arcade games is considered a waste of money compared to the new booth 3D games.

A.Romero

One reason why arcades now focused on game booths that you can not reproduce at home, eg racing games with wheel/pedal setups, shooters like HOTD or Silent Scope, Guitar Hero etc . There was even an arcade version of Plants vs Zombies. Plus the occasional flipper games, table hockey, crane games etc. Traditional genres that thrived in the 90s like fighters and shmups moved to the home console space.
It is sad that just like home video games, playing ancient 2d arcade games is considered a waste of money compared to the new booth 3D games.

To be honest in the rare ocassion I go to a place that still has arcades, I rather spend money playing driving games than fighting games (that I can play at home).

That part does make sense to me, he.

There is lack of awareness that many of those arcade games (due to the way they were designed) have very low "skill requirement" but a very high skill ceiling. It is why a 40-minute beat 'em up or shmup can last someone a lifetime if they are chasing score or playing for a 1CC.

Last edited:
Top Bottom