• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 26 - Feb 1 | Zaibatschu

or they could all just pick Diddy kong for the fast KOs

hey, all the matches with the hoo haa crowd chants were the best parts, maybe it's not so bad after all!

thread is currently a mine of hypocritical
right now

I see that 115k are watching Melee now. Now I'm sad that they didn't stick USF4 on the main stage/stream so that 80k+ Smash fans would have been bitching about when the boring ass fighting game would end :p

Azure J

Just stopping in to say that this week's thread title is The Great Cave-In Offensive because Smash hype might leave me dead at this rate.

DRE Fei

I am saying games that don't get patched or supported don't have a long term future in today's environment. Yeah MVC3 did get a couple of patches and an expansion but as soon as the well dried out the interest waned (when interest was really high with these things in play). MVC3 is sort of a game that was half way in between the Melee/MVC2 era of basically no post-release support and the current lots of post release support in fighting games which is why it has stayed afloat for 5+ years.

That said, post release content/support is not enough to keep afloat a game that is genuinely bad or poorly received. A game has to be both received well and get good support for it to be viable in the long term. With the advent of MOBAs, many players simply expect fast balance changes as the NORM.

I agree with this. League of Legends had something like 22 patches in 2014. No current fighting game is keeping up that kind of pace with multiple new characters/skins etc.

Killer Instinct is trying to follow that MOBA business model somewhat, but it got that XB1 exclusive stigma attached to it which kinda fucked the game early on. I think a PC port in the future should open the game up to more people and SF5 on steam should be a good thing for the platform too.

Dahbomb

I agree with this. League of Legends had something like 22 patches in 2014. No current fighting game is keeping up that kind of pace with multiple new characters/skins etc.

Killer Instinct is trying to follow that MOBA business model somewhat, but it got that XB1 exclusive stigma attached to it which kinda fucked the game early on. I think a PC port in the future should open the game up to more people and SF5 on steam should be a good thing for the platform too.
Having 22 balance patches in one year is bad. DOTA 2 has a "patch" like every week but those aren't balance changes, just bug fixes and new content additions. The actual balance patches in DOTA 2 are not that frequent, like you will get a decent one every 3-4 months which changes things up which is fine for that game.

Most fighting games would probably need a patch every 3 months when the game is new and then when everything is stabilized they can get away with 1-2 balance patches a year (sort of like what USF4 is doing right now). Of course content patches and bug fixes have to come more frequent.

KI is doing a lot of things right though but like you said, no PC version yet and XB1 only version hurts it. It being on PC would help it a lot.

Having 22 balance patches in one year is bad. DOTA 2 has a "patch" like every week but those aren't balance changes, just bug fixes and new content additions. The actual balance patches in DOTA 2 are not that frequent, like you will get a decent one every 3-4 months which changes things up which is fine for that game.

Most fighting games would probably need a patch every 3 months when the game is new and then when everything is stabilized they can get away with 1-2 balance patches a year (sort of like what USF4 is doing right now). Of course content patches and bug fixes have to come more frequent.

KI is doing a lot of things right though but like you said, no PC version yet and XB1 only version hurts it. It being on PC would help it a lot.
I think a fighting game patch shouldn't occur sooner than 6 months after release unless it is fixing a massive exploit/bug. You don't even know how to balance the game when people have only been playing it for 3 months.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
I think a fighting game patch shouldn't occur sooner than 6 months after release unless it is fixing a massive exploit/bug. You don't even know how to balance the game when people have only been playing it for 3 months.
Sentinel 2 strong pls nerf.

Game reviewers were bitching about Arthur.

I played Morrigan for 9 months and said she sucked. :p

Sentinel 2 strong pls nerf.

Game reviewers were bitching about Arthur.
I stopped reading Joystiq entirely after I saw them try to play MvC3. Pathetic skill level to be judging game balance.

Edit: To be fair, Morridoom would not have been a thing in Vanilla. No Soul Drain to counter Phoenix, and invincible assists made her rushdown far more risky. Plus, air dash blocking! A lot of things had to change for Morrigan to get where she is now. Including a considerable list of buffs.

If not for ChrisG, I think she could have potentially went undiscovered for the entirety of UMvC3's lifespan.

Top Bottom