• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | Jan 26 - Feb 1 | Zaibatschu

fader

that proximity blocking green hand ultra set up is crazy... weird that he starts abusing it after it works. Snakeyez is usually good at sneaking in setups.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Is APEX running on time?

So why did Japanese not play Marvel vs Capcom 2?
Was it cause it was considered a crap game or something?
Yeah. Marvel 3 is considerably better so more people are open to playing it, I think some Japanese players have attested to that too.

Mr. X

It had/has a small dedicated following, mags ROM loop was from japan. some came to Evo one year, got crushed.

But yeah, wasnt big because it was a bad game.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
New anime weekly will be starting next week that might be of interest to people:

Weeaboo Wednesdays
After speaking with the owner of UGC, Jyosua and I will be holding weekly tournaments for anime fighters on Wednesday nights. Since Super Arcade has temporarily shutdown, while they are relocating, there has been strong demand to have something during the week. We are really hoping this becomes big and we start getting 30+ every Wednesday. Just as we do during the monthlies, I will be running the brackets and organizing the events while Jyosua will be helping with the administration of the stream at the events,
More at the link.

Dahbomb

Bad game was bad. It was still played by the Japanese at the start but didn't last at all.

MVC2 if released in today's age would've died out pretty fast as well. People have far less tolerance for that type of game these days. MVC3 and Melee are the last of their kind.

I'm surprised Apex's numbers aren't higher. Pretty sure the Super Bowl is taking a good chunk out of them, which begs the question of why they didn't pick a different weekend....

Clockw0rk

I used to hate reading posts back in the day about why Japanese players didn't play MvC2 so much because people would always inject their own opinions on why they didn't play or why Japanese players sucked at MvC2 (they didn't) and you'd see the same shit being regurgitated over the years.

I went to Japan several times to play MvC2 at Alpha Station in Shin-Okubo and spoke with Japanese players (Marvel and others alike) on actual reasons why it wasn't nearly as popular in Japan as the states. Had much less to do with the mechanics of the game (people's favorite reason to bring up, fuck) and more to do with the fact that the Japanese population just has no connection to the Marvel franchise. So a Japanese person who had the slightest idea of who Spider Man or Captain America would have to go out of their way to find a MvC2 cabinet, many of which were on single player only cabs. It's probably a bit different now with the all the movies and whatnot but that was the main reason I was given.

There was other stuff too, including the fact that none of the really prolific Japanese players at the time like Daigo or Nuki didn't pick it up. People would often play what the popular players were playing, which helped out Guilty Gear a bit early on.

Horseress

I'm surprised Apex's numbers aren't higher. Pretty sure the Super Bowl is taking a good chunk out of them, which begs the question of why they didn't pick a different weekend....

71k watching top 16? It's fucking impressive imo. I bet it'll pass 100k by the end of the day

Had much less to do with the mechanics of the game (people's favorite reason to bring up, fuck) and more to do with the fact that the Japanese population just has no connection to the Marvel franchise.

That was what I found when I brought it up back when I was over there too. I think most people assume Marvel has worldwide appeal, but at the time of release and the years following there definitely wasn't much of a fanbase there. That is probably changing now with the movies, but I can't really say since I've never looked into it. Japanese arcades that I went to seemed to always cater to brands and franchises people would know more than anything else, both old and new. This is probably why games like Hokuto no Ken ever have a scene.

71k watching top 16? It's fucking impressive imo. I bet it'll pass 100k by the end of the day

Wouldn't surprise me if that happened. These Smash numbers just keep growing. If you put CapCup's different numbers(because of different languages) together I think it added up to 93k. Best numbers outside of EVO, Apex has a good chance of passing it.

I'm no fan but I can't help but constantly be impressed by its rapid growth.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
What's happened in the past couple of days? Having crappy internet at APEX and the whole Cinderella story made it impossible to keep up with everything.

mbpm1

What's happened in the past couple of days? Having crappy internet at APEX and the whole Cinderella story made it impossible to keep up with everything.

FGW| Nothing happened

Du beat Snake from Losers in GF
Kazunoko/Pepedai unstoppable in 2v2 team tournament in Tokaigi, beating teams like Momochi/Fuudo, Daigo/Mago, and more

Top Bottom