• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

Doomshine

I think all the rereleases have made people forget just how damn old SF4 is so the graphical leap is much more pronounced. Just imagine if T6 was the last game we saw before T7.

AAK

I think Street Fighter V looks pretty ugly except for the new animations. To me the character models of Tekken 7 in its primitive form destroys SFV's currently.

Also, that Kazuya super punish was just because of the wall. On regular hit, the opponent should hit super far away for them to not be able to punish the recovery animation.

I think Street Fighter V looks pretty ugly except for the new animations. To me the character models of Tekken 7 in its primitive form destroys SFV's currently.

Also, that Kazuya super punish was just because of the wall. On regular hit, the opponent should hit super far away for them to not be able to punish the recovery animation.

I honestly I think that it doesn't look all that great either, but then again I think T7 doesn't look that great either.

Sayah

Yes, both SFV and T7 are using the same artstyle but they both look fine. >_>

If you want 60 FPS @ 1080p, you're not going to see drastic jumps in visuals. With that said, character modeling in T7 definitely needs work and I'm hoping final version will show drastic improvements in that area. I'm not expecting details like EA's UFC games but at least do something with the issues I/others pointed out on the last page.

GrayFoxPL

SFV does look stunning but a comparison with Tekken 7 is not justified. SFV has A LOT less animations to worry about in contrast to the hundreds per character for Tekken.

And it's not like SFV is running 2D sprites. They're both running 3D graphics so cost comparison for individual animations shouldn't be that different.

I'm not comparing games I'm comparing philosophy. Philosophy of making something new vs philosophy of copy pasting.

Let's not talk about T7 like it has no budget, it's at least 4 times T5 and that game didn't look cheap. Where that budget goes? For Unreal Engine license and making characters that aren't martial artists or fighters but what? An exorcist priest that mistook Tekken with SoulCalibur and a weeaboo freak that's just random dev troll? I gladly exchange those for few known reworked characters or even 5 new moves per old character.

Would using Tag2 engine made the game look worse? They are using new arcade hardware so it only would amplify the engine x2 or x3 or more. 1080p with motion blur would be easy. Dirt effects are in, nice shiny sweaty effect like on arena stage is in. Awful vaseline on everything is out.
T7 doesn't show anything that couldn't be done before and probably much cheaper and more effective.

And what they did that game's graphics jumped from 50% to 80%? What's the improvement? Depth of field and drastically reduced next gen sparks so the game could hit 60fps? Where is the promised amazing lightning that would make the characters and their faces look not awkward? And everything still has that nonsense shine. Wood shines, skin shines, hair shines - the same way.

Let's not act like everything costs so much that nothing can be done. Is reworking character's moves with his existing animations still a budget problem? What's the other excuse? Strings are now legacy moves and can't be changed? Will I be doing Kazuya's 1,2,4,3 for all eternity now? Geezas just build some new strings. Moders of games like Tekken DR PSP or Tekken 6 PSP build a custom moves and strings from existing animations by themselves, alone with no budget or anything more then a will to do something. And whole dev team can't change up few old strings? Shit, Kaz's b+3,1,4,1 has 4 moves and animations not used anywhere else. Do something with it! Jesus not everything is matter of budget.

Not like it wasn't done before. Sega between VF5, VF5R and VF5FS changed up every characters moveset and they weren't afraid to even cut some moves only to make the characters feel fresh. Like Kage in VF5FS doesn't even play like Kage in VF5. And it's just a version of the same game and not a big ass sequel like Tekken 7.
What is the excuse to not copy-paste everything?

What, VF has less characters to work? Tekken 7 has a lot fewer then before but they still didn't rework even one shitty string. Just add 2 moves, copy paste every other including every string and here is finished T7 character. From cheap factory line.
There is no real excuse for this unless your goal is just make the game as quick as possible.

At this point Tekken Tag 2 did more for updating characters movesets after T6 then T7 did after Tag2. Which is ironic because at the release of TTT2 I thought it did very little. "Well, it's not much, but it's not a real sequel, Tekken 7 will add tons of new moves. I'm sure!"

Boy was I wrong.

Come Tekken 8 (and I know it will have its Tekken 3 moment after 7.)
I need a brand new artstyle they will have plenty of time to do it over as 7 just feels rushed to me.

Legacy movesets need new and improved animations too.

Dereck

Mentioning Tekken 8 already?

I have my speculations about Tekken 7, but until I actually play the game, I'm not writing it off.

Sayah

I'm not comparing games I'm comparing philosophy. Philosophy of making something new vs philosophy of copy pasting.

Let's not talk about T7 like it has no budget, it's at least 4 times T5 and that game didn't look cheap. Where that budget goes? For Unreal Engine license and making characters that aren't martial artists or fighters but what? An exorcist priest that mistook Tekken with SoulCalibur and a weeaboo freak that's just random dev troll? I gladly exchange those for few known reworked characters or even 5 new moves per old character.

Would using Tag2 engine made the game look worse? They are using new arcade hardware so it only would amplify the engine x2 or x3 or more. 1080p with motion blur would be easy. Dirt effects are in, nice shiny sweaty effect like on arena stage is in. Awful vaseline on everything is out.
T7 doesn't show anything that couldn't be done before and probably much cheaper and more effective.

And what they did that game's graphics jumped from 50% to 80%? What's the improvement? Depth of field and drastically reduced next gen sparks so the game could hit 60fps? Where is the promised amazing lightning that would make the characters and their faces look not awkward? And everything still has that nonsense shine. Wood shines, skin shines, hair shines - the same way.

Let's not act like everything costs so much that nothing can be done. Is reworking character's moves with his existing animations still a budget problem? What's the other excuse? Strings are now legacy moves and can't be changed? Will I be doing Kazuya's 1,2,4,3 for all eternity now? Geezas just build some new strings. Moders of games like Tekken DR PSP or Tekken 6 PSP build a custom moves and strings from existing animations by themselves, alone with no budget or anything more then a will to do something. And whole dev team can't change up few old strings? Shit, Kaz's b+3,1,4,1 has 4 moves and animations not used anywhere else. Do something with it! Jesus not everything is matter of budget.

Not like it wasn't done before. Sega between VF5, VF5R and VF5FS changed up every characters moveset and they weren't afraid to even cut some moves only to make the characters feel fresh. Like Kage in VF5FS doesn't even play like Kage in VF5. And it's just a version of the same game and not a big ass sequel like Tekken 7.
What is the excuse to not copy-paste everything?

What, VF has less characters to work? Tekken 7 has a lot fewer then before but they still didn't rework even one shitty string. Just add 2 moves, copy paste every other including every string and here is finished T7 character. From cheap factory line.
There is no real excuse for this unless your goal is just make the game as quick as possible.

At this point Tekken Tag 2 did more for updating characters movesets after T6 then T7 did after Tag2. Which is ironic because at the release of TTT2 I thought it did very little. "Well, it's not much, but it's not a real sequel, Tekken 7 will add tons of new moves. I'm sure!"

Boy was I wrong.

We haven't seen the entire command list for every character in front of us so it's early to be making that judgment call. Plus we've only seen like half the roster so far. They are supposedly reinventing Nina, for instance.

Each successive game adds new moves or changes the properties for others. Certain strings or moves will now lead to tailspin, for instance. Other moves now function as focus-type attacks.

Plus, since a lot of characters will be missing this time, we are already seeing certain characters taking on animations of certain other characters. You might even see reinvention of a clone character (if one ever makes it in). I.e. look at Anna and Armor King in Tekken 5.

Besdies that, Tekken has usually always followed a model of expanding on what's already been done instead of going above and beyond to reinvent everything. It's the ideology of "why fix something when it's not broken?"

Sayah

Tekken 7 is going to be fun. I can feel it. I just hope my anticipation won't die off if it's another Tekken 6 type 2-year long wait.

At the end of the day, I don't care about legacy animations and artstyle as much as I care about the core gameplay. Since I started taking the series more seriously with Tekken 6, I've always felt the franchise provided the most mind-blowingly deep gameplay experience out of any fighting game. And that trend continued with TTT2. With the changes we are seeing in Tekken 7, there seems to be enough changes in the gameplay system to bring in new elements while expanding on what's already there. If the gameplay system continues to impress me like it has in the past, then the other stuff is only a secondary concern for me.

It's not like the game looks ugly as sin with its old animations. It's a real beautiful game that just needs tweaks and fixes in certain areas (particularly with character models), which I'm confident they'll fix before final release. I don't think anyone can argue that they haven't done a spectacular job with the stages/environments. The post-apocalyptic NYC stage and the jungle look dope. Also, the fire and lighting in the temple stage..........

It's good to be critical but I think people often run with the most negative of things and ignore the positives.

GrayFoxPL

I'm saying all this shit about T7 because I love Tekken. It's my KING of fighting games and it breaks my heart when all other fighting games move forward, advance, reform, evolve or just present themselves fucking great and Tekken 7 falls down to some weird shithole and I don't know what to think anymore. I don't sleep for 2 days just to watch a shitty quality streams from Japan at 5 am for hope for something awesome in T7 and I feel like Harada takes a shit on Tekken and laughs to my face.

It's like watching your idol fighter get old, lose everything he worked for on drugs, alcohol and whores. Becoming a less then shadow of himself, a useless drunk slob not able to punch a wall because he's laying right there on the ground beside it, leaning slightly against it.

WhimsicalUnacceptableIzuthrush.gif

Get up. Get up you fuck and fight.

It's good to be critical but I think people often run with the most negative of things and ignore the positives.

I think people are just taking these early builds at face value and constantly being kneejerk about everything we see.

We have no idea what can change and what's being kept. We barely know the game and to make judgements "no new moves" "no overhauls." The game is all of a sudden "less hardcore" because different elements are introduced. There is no way to judge all of this at this point. I think folks need to think before they come to this concrete opinions and allow for some margin of leeway for Namco until we see the arcade release.

Sayah

I think people are just taking these early builds at face value and constantly being kneejerk about everything we see.

We have no idea what can change and what's being kept. We barely know the game and to make judgements "no new moves" "no overhauls." The game is all of a sudden "less hardcore" because different elements are introduced. There is no way to judge all of this at this point. I think folks need to think before they come to this concrete opinions and allow for some margin of leeway for Namco until we see the arcade release.

Yeah, it's the kneejerk reactions I don't like. Just be calm. To give an example. They've asked Japanese players their opinions on the game so far and a lot of them didn't like the excessive sparks so they toned them down in the next updates. While that makes me upset, I understand that literally everything is going to have a vast divergence in opinion . And it's just a matter of accepting that you can't win everything. You might like something that someone else hates (and vice versa).

I'm saying all this shit about T7 because I love Tekken. It's my KING of fighting games and it breaks my heart when all other fighting games move forward, advance, reform, evolve or just present themselves fucking great and Tekken 7 falls down to some weird shithole and I don't know what to think anymore. I don't sleep for 2 days just to watch a shitty quality streams from Japan at 5 am for hope for something awesome in T7 and I feel like Harada takes a shit on Tekken and laughs to my face.

It's like watching your idol fighter get old, lose everything he worked for on drugs, alcohol and whores. Becoming a less then shadow of himself, a useless drunk slob not able to punch a wall because he's laying right there on the ground beside it, leaning slightly against it.

Come on man. That dude is posting on twitter how he's getting 3-4 hours of sleep per night.

Directing a game is no joke. Ask Sakurai. :p

LOL

GrayFoxPL

Come on man. That dude is posting on twitter how he's getting 3-4 hours of sleep per night.

Directing a game is no joke. Ask Sakurai. :p

That drunk reference is for Tekken, not Harada.

I'd give Harada back all those wasted sleep hours making you know what for Tekken 7. In a blink. His awful choice though.

I was speaking about myself too, since I almost wrote it off when Chloe was announced.

I can totally see how you felt that way. Long as this kind of character art direction is kept at a minimum I can deal. She still has an annoying voice though.

The weeaboo aspect makes her somewhat bearable.

LOL That gif is perfect. Harada has a lot on his plate so I am gonna ease up on him and the staff that also works on Tekken.

But I understand how you feel.

Sayah

and people wonder why they usually don't show a lot of location test footage.

Makes complete sense from the devs perspective. I remember the original location test reveal thread and people had already made the decision to not buy the game because "it looks the same" despite knowing the game is at 50%. LOL.

Tekken is swag. Gonna be fun. And I'm re-learning Hwoarang for more swag.

DecimalUnfinishedEagle.gif

GrayFoxPL

Yeah, they hid all the potential awesome shit from people at location test because that would've worked against them. Makes sense.

In 2 months time we'll see a totally different game. A beast, because everything shown before was a fake.

Btw I can't fathom why people believe that percentage of graphical prowess bullshit Harada sells to the public. It's such a schtick.

You saw 50% version month ago? Now see 80% graphics. Trailer! Boom!

Oh Wow! Wow! Wow. wow.

ipMbeY6tO3OhQ.gif

Wait...this is 80%?

I guess first 15% is Paul's stage. Second 15% is Dragunov's stage.

iU0mPVIcb4P84.jpg

GrayFoxPL

Wow I thought I was gonna be flamed for this.

Another thing guys.

Yesterday when AAK posted Korean vids I watched them all. Whole time I had this weird impression that something is off. Like why does it seem slower then before, the movement even more clunky. The technical side seems fine it's not periodical huge slowdown and speed up from first loc test.

I didn't comment on them because I thought "Maybe it's my pessimism going overboard, I started to see bad shit in this game everywhere now." No one would believe me anyway.

But today I read this.

And it seems it's not just me, I'm not going crazy.

Did you guys notice this too?

What did they do? Slowed down movement, sidesteps? For Korean test, really?

I hope this is just single experiment.

I thought speeding up the game was the good shit. What are they doing.

New T7 video with Knee.

I haven't noticed, but I just noticed this new animation.

Not the kick, but getting hit by it

VpVQ627.gif
There was another gif actually posted recently showing the CH toe kick.

I like this change. It's a reward for making a good read. As long as its still punishable on block then I'm all aboard.

Wow I thought I was gonna be flamed for this.

Another thing guys.

Yesterday when AAK posted Korean vids I watched them all. Whole time I had this weird impression that something is off. Like why does it seem slower then before, the movement even more clunky. The technical side seems fine it's not periodical huge slowdown and speed up from first loc test.

I didn't comment on them because I thought "Maybe it's my pessimism going overboard, I started to see bad shit in this game everywhere now." No one would believe me anyway.

But today I read this.

And it seems it's not just me, I'm not going crazy.

Did you guys notice this too?

What did they do? Slowed down movement, sidesteps? For Korean test, really?

I hope this is just single experiment.

I thought speeding up the game was the good shit. What are they doing.

New T7 video with Knee.

Yeah it looks weird as shit. Have we gotten any impressions from anyone though?

GrayFoxPL

Yeah it looks weird as shit. Have we gotten any impressions from anyone though?

Yeah, if someone who was on previous loctests and this one could compare, we would know for sure. Koreans may think this is just how it runs.

But there's definitely something off. People in Eventhub comments say this was again done for newcomers and they like it.

I'm gonna go nuts before this game is released in some kindergarden edition.

Dereck

So, besides the Scenerio Campaign I don't get why most people don't like Tekken 6. I think Tekken 6 is the best one, how are other Tekkens better or worse IYO?

So, besides the Scenerio Campaign I don't get why most people don't like Tekken 6. I think Tekken 6 is the best one, how are other Tekkens better or worse IYO?

Well for starters aesthetically speaking its not a colorful as T5DR. Its drab and dark. Rage and Bound are another. The fact that the game was getting overloaded starting being felt. Online was garbage. Lack of the story mode from T5.

Just to name a few. T5DR is probably the BEST Tekken though. I can't say that about 6 even though I played the shit out of it.

Probably has awful range and can be punished badly on whiff with and with millions of crush tools in the game.

T7 will be even more crush based so this is not really a problem.

This seems pretty useful actually. Good, evasive tool to stop offense, as long as you aren't too predictable with it.

Dereck

Well for starters aesthetically speaking its not a colorful as T5DR. Its drab and dark. Rage and Bound are another. The fact that the game was getting overloaded starting being felt. Online was garbage. Lack of the story mode from T5.
LOL, I don't disagree with any of this

HeelPower

Just to name a few. T5DR is probably the BEST Tekken though. I can't say that about 6 even though I played the shit out of it.

I think 6BR is by far the best.

With a few tweaks, It could be the perfect Tekken experience.

This seems pretty useful actually. Good, evasive tool to stop offense, as long as you are too predictable with it.

Yeah its way better than the previous toe kick for sure.

I think 6BR is by far the best.

With a few tweaks, It could be the perfect Tekken experience.

I would love to say that but I can't lol. And I've never played T5DR at the same level I have T6 and TTT2. It's weird. I really started learning the game at T6 so its kinda odd for me. Probably besides that I really don't have much love for the game. I like TTT2 over it and I'm currently having pains with that game.

All of the negative opinions I've heard about T6:

a) It introduced bounds/too much juggles
b) It had bad netcode
c) Took too long to come out relative to the arcade
d) Scenario Campaign was garbage
e) The new characters were unappealing
f) Hopkicks too good
g) Movement too sluggish
h) Graphics/image quality was poor
i) Bob killed Tekken

Different people are bothered by different things, but that's a good collection of them I think.

EDIT: Forgot about rage, too.

Dereck

All of the negative opinions I've heard about T6:

a) It introduced bounds/too much juggles
b) It had bad netcode
c) Took too long to come out relative to the arcade
d) Scenario Campaign was garbage
e) The new characters were unappealing
f) Hopkicks too good
g) Movement too sluggish
h) Graphics/image quality was poor
i) Bob killed Tekken

Different people are bothered by different things, but that's a good collection of them I think.

EDIT: Forgot about rage, too.
Damn

GrayFoxPL

Tekken 6 is awesome. Not sure how I rank it, maybe just bit below DR because love that game's arenas, art style, music and faster paced matches more. And you don't have to memorize as much as in T6. You can just kinda jump into DR and start rocking without "Now hold on there buddy I need 6 hours in practice mode first!". Though after Tag2, T6 seems easy to memorize, lol. After Tag2 Advanced Mathematics seems easy to memorize XD.

T6 - Great game. Maybe just that doom and gloom WWIII atmosphere isn't that great to dig into.

I need to reinstall it and have some fun.(T6)

I like every Tekken for something else

Top Bottom