• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag Tournament 2 |OT| Awaiting the "Final Battle"

Tekken has quite the learning curve, but that curve turns into a fork. You either go the way that makes that curve even tighter with difficult characters or you go the way that is practically straight with easy characters. And it irritates me to no end to see Namco be completely blind to that fallacy.

News flash, an overpowered easy character is not limited to new players. You are not banned from using Bob because you are now a good player. No offense to Bob players, but I am not exactly jumping for joy to lose to that fatso's antics. I could write several books on how to play Ling Xiaoyu and my journey in Tekken through her eyes. Yet, I have to use every ounce of IQ that I have to beat characters that make Street Fighter characters look deep.

I knew what I signed up for when I picked a petite little school girl, but I sorely miss how Tekken rewarded dedication. I actually welcome Tekken 7 becoming simple on a system wide basis. I honestly hated refloats, there is plenty of ways to make oki rewarding without making noobs feel like there are infinite combos in Tekken. However, including character after character with a high power to low skill output just leaves me depressed and sad.

You don't balance a game that way though. The goal should be to not make characters too good or too garbage. Obviously all developers fail at that and some characters are too good or terrible. Or nerfed for no reason etc etc. Thems the breaks guys. But putting in Time should not be metric of how good character or person should be. Things do not always work out like that in and out of fighting games.

No one should be rewarded just because they play a harder or easier character. If the character is good that's just how the dice rolled. Balancing characters like Xiao or Yoshi or Baek or Hwoarang is almost impossible to do, because buffing a few things here and there can make them completely overpowered. They are gimmick characters by design and despite the effort, you don't want your game to be straight up gimmicky because that can completely imbalance the game. Not to say balance is the holy grail but I'm pretty sure if Eddy was as good as Bob, we would be pulling our hair out.

To think one "deserves" reward for putting in work is silly and borderline scrubby when obviously the one who wants to win i.e. playing easier but good characters should also deserve to win because they are playing to win in the first place. You deciding to play a difficult character and having to go loss after loss is on you. If you're having fun playing that character then that's more important, but if you think you deserve to win or characters that don't take as much effort should NOT win or be that good in the first place then I'm honestly willing to call you a scrub in that instance. Time and dedication are never a for sure method of getting results.

For every low execution good characters there's good high execution good characters so there's not this full range of low execution characters that are good anyways. It's always been like that in fighting games. And yes I'm including other fighting games because Tekken players have no frame of reference and only think Tekken should be a certain way because that is the only game they like or play. I get the sentiment. That's what you like Tekken for. But playing other games opens up perspective and it allows you to see the flaws in something that you would probably have never saw before. it's not about making Tekken into other fighters but making Tekken a better game through the lens of other fighters.

That's all I'm gonna say. The use of scrub isn't to insult that's just how it sounds.

GrayFoxPL

g3XUQ31.jpg

Pack it up.

ib0Flh50oeBuA8.gif

So I just got this off the PSN sale and I really like it, it looks good, has a ton of content, and I'm a huge fan of unlockables in any game, but I have a few questions -
Why is the hair so terrible in the customization options? The front of the head always has that spiky balding pattern and only the back is changed. It's mullet city. It's just weird that when they were making this no one objected. I keep all the heads as they are.

And this is a huge question that will make me seem naive as hell, but is the entire point of the game to chain the longest combo possible? Is this what I need to learn to be good?
I only play single player and I do pretty well, but sometimes I will just randomly get decimated by the computer. It just becomes relentless. The computer seems to love doing long ass combos that take away half your health. Especially Jun at the end. I have to say that I kind of hate it.
If there's a cheap way to beat Jun, let me know. I'm not above it.

Doomshine

So I just got this off the PSN sale and I really like it, it looks good, has a ton of content, and I'm a huge fan of unlockables in any game, but I have a few questions -
Why is the hair so terrible in the customization options? The front of the head always has that spiky balding pattern and only the back is changed. It's mullet city. It's just weird that when they were making this no one objected. I keep all the heads as they are.

And this is a huge question that will make me seem naive as hell, but is the entire point of the game to chain the longest combo possible? Is this what I need to learn to be good?
I only play single player and I do pretty well, but sometimes I will just randomly get decimated by the computer. It just becomes relentless. The computer seems to love doing long ass combos that take away half your health. Especially Jun at the end. I have to say that I kind of hate it.
If there's a cheap way to beat Jun, let me know. I'm not above it.

Old thread, here's the new one: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=955672

Top Bottom