• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exclusive: A Microsoft Smartwatch Is Coming Within Weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Microsoft Plans To Launch A Wearable Device Within Weeks

Microsoft is gearing up to launch a wearable device within the next few weeks, Forbes has learned. The gadget is a smart watch that will passively track a wearer’s heart rate and work across different mobile platforms. It will also boast a battery life of more than two days of regular use, sources close to the project say

That could put it ahead of Samsung’s Galaxy Gear smart watch and Moto 360 which both need to be charged around once a day. The wearable will hit stores soon after launch in a bid to capture the lucrative holiday season, a timeline Apple AAPL was reportedly targeting before it delayed its own Watch to early 2015.

Going cross platform is also consistent with Nadella’s drive to make his company’s product offerings available “across all devices”. His launch of Microsoft Office for the iPad in March marked a move away from the company’s Windows-only vision under Steve Ballmer.

More at Forbes

I am excited, they need to price it right and have a worldwide release this year.

Courage

What are the odds of smartwatches actually taking off? Sounds like they want to get a product out before they trail behind again.

The smartwatch competition has barely even started

When Samsung, Motorola, and Apple are already there, you're officially a follower at this point.

A follower to a stupid fucking party though.

What are the odds of smartwatches actually taking off? Sounds like they want to get a product out before they trail behind again.

Everyone seems desperate to convince us that <x> is the next big thing because nothing has taken off as organically as the smartphone and tablet did.

When Samsung, Motorola, and Apple are already there, you're officially a follower at this point.

Everyone seems desperate to convince us that <x> is the next big thing because nothing has taken off as organically as the smartphone and tablet did.

The Apple Watch isn't out yet

Vashetti

Banned
I feel like this recent Smartwatch phenomenon is searching for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

Why does everything have to be an all-in-one device nowadays, why can't a watch just be a watch?

BeforeU

Smartwatches will take off if done right. As long as these companies treats it as a companion devices then they work and makes sense to own it. But as soon you they start putting camera and market it as replacement of your cellphone then no. That is never going to happen.

For example, in so many instances I felt like I don't want to take off my phone just to change track, or see notification, or redial. These are just few examples of many things you can potentially do if its connected to your device.

Condolences.

Don't need it. I am tired and bored previous Android and iOS user. Now happy WP user.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I feel like wearables will be a thing one day, but every current implementation seems pretty shortsighted or trying to fit into some less than appealing physical form factors.

I really feel it won't take off until we get some minority report shit or any form factor that can be expanded and contracted faster than you can pull out your phone and put it back in your pocket.

Courage

Why does everything have to be an all-in-one device nowadays, why can't a watch just be a watch?

Are they really trying to be that tho? I thought they're just trying to bring watches back with a few gimmicks that don't seem worth the price.

Konka

Banned

If by organically you mean after Apple launched the iPhone and the iPad.

Alphahawk

Even if a company can make smartwatches work, they have to deal with the fact that watches are inherently uncomfortable.

BeforeU

Samsung's on what, it's 3rd Smartwatch yea?

All shitty concept which sold piss poor, looks like they have no idea what they are trying to do. Launched it just for sake of coming to market first. No wonder, mostly no body has even heard of it.

Somnid

Cross platform would automatically put it ahead of everything except Pebble so that's something. Of course at this rate I don't think any tech giant can see beyond sticking an LCD on your wrist and calling it a day.

Well it's good that it's cross platform since no one will buy Windows phones. But that means added headaches for optimization for Microsoft though.

I feel like this recent Smartwatch phenomenon is searching for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

This right here. Consumers just aren't interested in these things at all.

Woffls

Microsoft aren't late the party because it hasn't even started yet. The market hasn't responded yet, and the length of time that other products have been on the market is really not relevant.

clav

late to the party

Actually, the smartwatch doesn't have a party.
Microsoft aren't late the party because it hasn't even started yet. The market hasn't responded yet, and the length of time that other products have been on the market is really not relevant.

Yeah for once, Microsoft is actually launching something during the trendy period.

Anion

Even though I have an iPhone, I would be more excited for a Microsoft watch if it has some clever features integrated with windows

Also, at this point I believe you cant make a watch uglier than the iWatch...
actually you can but still

Samsung's on what, it's 3rd Smartwatch yea?

6th

Samsung Galaxy Gear - Android based, upgradeable to Tizen
Samsung Gear 2 - Tizen based
Samsung Gear 2 Neo - Tizen based
Samsung Gear Fit - runs a RTOS, neither Tizen nor Android
Samsung Gear Live - runs Android Wear
Samsung Gear S - Tizen based

ItIsOkBro

I think the market has responded with a resounding "we don't want this"

jelly

Microsoft Smartwatch in 2004.

Microsoft_Spot_watch.jpg

Oozer3993

Exactly. Claiming Microsoft is late to the smart watch party is as silly as claiming Apple was late to the smartphone race because Palm and Windows Mobile products had been out for years. There's a difference between a product category existing and a market existing. The latter comes after the former. Sometimes by a matter of years.

forms

at least it can't look any shittier than the Apple watch, so for once they may even have a chance to have a product that does not look absolutely silly. Not counting on it though.

royalan

late to the party

How are they late to the party? Nobody's drunk yet and strippers haven't even shown up.

You guys actin like anybody outside of hardcore enthusiasts gives a shit about smart watches yet (or ever, if we're being real).

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Right now pebble is the only quality smartwatch. But it isn't as consumer friendly as the new colorful ones.

Android wear is pretty but too constrained. Apple Watch looks poorly designed in almost every aspect.

Once someone takes a pebble as a base and then builds it into something where it doesn't link to opening shit on your phone, doesn't look like a poor college kids school project and doesn't overload you with unnecessary garbage... They will have a winner.

Right now too many manufacturers are considering it a communication point. A place where you can do things. It should act as a great reference first before they start going beyond that.

Watches should be info at a glance. They shouldn't be alerting you every 30 seconds, professionals won't take it seriously otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom