• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exclusive Invitation for an Xbox One Alpha Trial [Titanfall]

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Battlefield had a pretty decent length beta and it changed fucking nothing.
That was a glorified demo. 1 month between beta and launch is not enough time to do any real fixes, and the beta build they used had to be certified well before the start of the beta.

iMax

That was a glorified demo. 1 month between beta and launch is not enough time to do any real fixes, and the beta build they used had to be certified well before the start of the beta.

Nowadays, a beta is basically how a studio compiles their day-one patch.

Rixxan

Looks pretty much as expected, and by that i mean - fun.

I just don't think this will end up being as groundbreaking as some people are expecting it to be, like many others have said - It's call of duty with wall running and double jumping. And i'm not sure its gonna be a "call of duty killer" so to speak.

The one vs one Titan battles do look engaging though, and dat stealth eject, pretty awesome.

I dunno, I guess I was just expecting to be a bit more impressed by some of these gameplays.

That being said, totally early, totally alpha, and totally quick to judge it, as I haven't even played it.

Still looking forward to it.

antitrop

Titanfall was unsurprisingly rated 'M' by the ESRB:

This is a team-based first-person shooter in which players fight as either members of a militia or as soldiers from the Interstellar Manufacturing Corporation. Players use a variety of firearms (e.g., pistols, machine guns, missiles, grenades, mines, sniper rifles) and mech-style robots called Titans to seek out and kill enemy forces. Titans use their robotic arms to punch soldiers and vehicles and can also use large-scale firearms (e.g., chain guns, mine launchers, electric pulse guns) to kill enemies. Combat is frenetic and realistically depicted, with frequent cries of pain, impact sounds, and blood splashes. Some weapons blow enemies apart into small chunks of flesh; Titans can also punch enemy soldiers or crush enemy Titan pilots until they burst into chunks. The words “f**k” and “sh*t” appear in the dialogue.

bidguy

Banned
Looks pretty much as expected, and by that i mean - fun.

I just don't think this will end up being as groundbreaking as some people are expecting it to be, like many others have said - It's call of duty with wall running and double jumping. And i'm not sure its gonna be a "call of duty killer" so to speak.

The one vs one Titan battles do look engaging though, and dat stealth eject, pretty awesome.

I dunno, I guess I was just expecting to be a bit more impressed by some of these gameplays.

That being said, totally early, totally alpha, and totally quick to judge it, as I haven't even played it.

Still looking forward to it.

you have to play it man
so good

Caddle

It's not call of duty with mechs, it plays much faster and the movement through the levels are on another levels. The titans aren't overpowered, it's so easy to take them down as pilots, because of all the building you can hide in and score hits on them, I guess that's why they isn't much destructability in the game.

Mononoke

Banned
Leaked images look bad? What the hell have I been playing all this time then. The game looks really good, hardly any jaggies, smooth as hell gameplay, and the ai actually get shit down, depending on the objectives on the map. As for the player count, your running into players to shoot all the time no matter if human, or AI. As for the resolution people, it don't look like 720p to me, and If it is, they are using a lot of AA and post processsing on the image.

Huh? This game looks awful in Alpha. As it should. Respawn said it only has 25% of the texture quality of the final build. Im on a 55 inch plasma, and there are jaggies everywhere and muddy textures. Also I don't agree about AI. You can walk in front of 5 AI and kill them all without getting shot once. They are fodder and no threat. They serve for points to get your titanfall quicker, nothing more.

Edit: you were talking about them doing objectives. Okay. But you can still interrupt their objective and kill them all barely batting an eye.

aravuus

Leaked images look bad? What the hell have I been playing all this time then. The game looks really good, hardly any jaggies, smooth as hell gameplay, and the ai actually get shit down, depending on the objectives on the map. As for the player count, your running into players to shoot all the time no matter if human, or AI. As for the resolution people, it don't look like 720p to me, and If it is, they are using a lot of AA and post processsing on the image.

The leaked images look fucking horrible to be honest. But like Azula said, it should change drastically for the retail release.

I obviously haven't played the alpha, but I really think the fodder ai sounds like an awesome idea. I'm not into MOBAs at all but the few times I played LoL, I had a lot of fun running around with the little fellas.

Jarmel

Banned
Huh? This game looks awful in Alpha. As it should. Respawn said it only has 25% of the texture quality of the final build. Im on a 55 inch plasma, and there are jaggies everywhere and muddy textures. Also I don't agree about AI. You can walk in front of 5 AI and kill them all without getting shot once. They are fodder and no threat. They serve for points to get your titanfall quicker, nothing more.

Edit: you were talking about them doing objectives. Okay. But you can still interrupt their objective and kill them all barely batting an eye.

Jaggies, jaggies everywhere. Hoping they either add lots of AA or they're getting that resolution up to at least 900p.

swcpig

Banned
The leaked images look fucking horrible to be honest. But like Azula said, it should change drastically for the retail release.

I obviously haven't played the alpha, but I really think the fodder ai sounds like an awesome idea. I'm not into MOBAs at all but the few times I played LoL, I had a lot of fun running around with the little fellas.

I dunno... Looks decent enough to my eyes in motion. Stills are stills - even a mountain can look ugly.

My kids all think its the most amazing game ever and they say its got the best graphics they've ever seen. 7 and 10 year olds but my 5 year old loves playing it.

I had put this in a wait and see buy category but just put in my preorder after playing the alpha. Soooo good.

Mononoke

Banned
I dunno... Looks decent enough to my eyes in motion. Stills are stills - even a mountain can look ugly.

My kids all think its the most amazing game ever and they say its got the best graphics they've ever seen. 7 and 10 year olds but my 5 year old loves playing it.

I had put this in a wait and see buy category but just put in my preorder after playing the alpha. Soooo good.

Well if you are impressed now, you are going to be blown away when this comes out. Respawn has confirmed that that the final build has 75% more texture quality. They purposely made the texture quality on the alpha really low.

Sounds awesome that your kids are loving it. I feel like a little kid myself again playing this. Jumping into big mechs, and running off walls. This is is the most fun I've had in an FPS since Modern Warfare 1 and 2.

Jaggies, jaggies everywhere. Hoping they either add lots of AA or they're getting that resolution up to at least 900p.

There is almost no chance the final game will have a different resolution than the beta. I think Respawn would have mentioned that, just like they did with the textures.

The resolution and other shortcomings should be viewed purely as the limitations of the hardware, and not the fault of Respawn.

Doffen

Also I don't agree about AI. You can walk in front of 5 AI and kill them all without getting shot once. They are fodder and no threat. They serve for points to get your titanfall quicker, nothing more.

I like how the AI "behaves". One match I saw an enemy AI trying to help his friend up on his feet. Cute.

PSGames

For those who have played this is there a danger of this being too fast paced and hectic? For hardcore FPS fans I'm sure that's fine and might even be preferable but for your average Joe I could see this being overwhelming.

Mononoke

Banned
I like how the AI "behaves". One match I saw an enemy AI trying to help his friend up on his feet. Cute.

I mean, I'm not 100% negative on AI. I'm just saying that for some there is skepticism about how easy they are to kill. Personally, I think they bring a nice element to the game. They are like creeps in a MOBA, and you use them to get your Titanfall quicker. From what I've played, I haven't had any issues with Grunts (or AI).

For those who have played this is there a danger of this being too fast paced and hectic? For hardcore FPS fans I'm sure that's fine and might even be preferable but for your average Joe it could be overwhelming.

It will certainly be more arcadey then other hardcore/strategic shooters. Of course. But you don't die as fast over and over like you do in COD. So it's not as twitch as that. Like you could stay alive for huge lengths of time traversing the map, killing grunts. I pretty much never die until my Titanfall. So I'm able to stay alive to get my first Titan fall and get into big mech fights.

There is almost no chance the final game will have a different resolution than the beta. I think Respawn would have mentioned that, just like they did with the textures.

The resolution and other shortcomings should be viewed purely as the limitations of the hardware, and not the fault of Respawn.

i don't understand this logic since there are much prettier games at higher resolutions on the same platform so in my opinion if a not so pretty game can't reach 1080p when other more demanding looking games can then i think that should be viewed as developer incompetence

i don't understand this logic since there are much prettier games at higher resolutions on the same platform so in my opinion if a not so pretty game can't reach 1080p when other more demanding looking games can then i think that should be viewed as developer incompetence
1080p/30 or <1080p/60 seems to be the choice

antitrop

Holy shit, this guy made a LEGO replica of the R-101C Assault Rifle. It's amazing...

w8YvexU.jpg

https://twitter.com/NickBrickBuilds/status/424568480281534466/photo/1

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
How many XB1 FPS games run at 1080p?

Mononoke

Banned

Yeah, and even Call of Duty Ghosts struggled to hit 1080p (it couldn't). This game doesn't look that much better than Ghosts. I love Titanfall, and I think it 's one of the funnest games I've played. But I don't think anyone should go into this game thinking it will have stellar graphics. It's going to have a similar style to COD, and it won't push the boundaries. It's just the way that it is.

Point is, if Ghosts couldn't even do 1080 on X1, we might all be shocked that Titanfall (given its less than wow graphic quality) can't do it either. But it's the limitations of the console. It is what it is.

Bsigg12

Those impressions do not sound good, 720p does not sound fun at all, what the eff.

Exactly, I am not having a single fun moment playing this game. It's terrible :p

Just played a game earlier where it was full 6v6 titans and it was fucking madness.

I'm finding that talking strategy and getting people to hold off on calling their Titan down until at least 2 others have Titans ready gives you a really good chance to control the map for a little. Grouping Titans together keeps everyone safe for the most part but it's far more difficult to pull down 3 titans covering each other rather than one dash around avoiding people.

Mononoke

Banned
How are people taking to the various mechanics? Are people actually using wallruns? Rodeos? Follow mode?

I haven't really used follow mode. But Wall runs and using your jetpack is essential. It's how you move around terrain. It's become second hand nature pretty quickly (that and using your cloak).

Massa

They can do real fixes on their servers anytime they want. Server stress, balance changes, etc.

Bsigg12

How are people taking to the various mechanics? Are people actually using wallruns? Rodeos? Follow mode?

I only use follow when I get killed moving to get in my titan. Rodeos are good when you're sneaking up on a Titan fighting an ally. Wallruns are awesome and make getting across and up the map quick and easy.

GavinGT

Banned
When you first call down your Titan, it has the shield around it, right? Is it invulnerable until you first get in it?

Also, if you die as a pilot but you have a Titan ready, do you instantly respawn into the Titan?

I only use follow when I get killed moving to get in my titan. Rodeos are good when you're sneaking up on a Titan fighting an ally. Wallruns are awesome and make getting across and up the map quick and easy.

Wallruns go vertical as well?

And I heard you build momentum as you do consecutive wallruns. That true?

Mononoke

Banned
When you first call down your Titan, it has the shield around it, right? Is it invulnerable until you first get in it?

Also, if you die as a pilot but you have a Titan ready, do you instantly respawn into the Titan?

Yep. But I'm pretty sure that there is a time limit on your shield. At least, I know there is a perk that extends that shield. You can choose to spawn in the Titan. You are given the option to spawn as a Pilot on ground, or Pilot in Titan if you die, and have a Titan you never used.

Bsigg12

Yea it has the dome shield. It lasts for a set amount of time and once that goes away, if you haven't gotten in it, it goes straight to AI mode. It's not invulnerable once that shield drops though. You can pick to be sent down in the titan if you have one ready when you respawn but don't have to.

Wallruns go vertical as well?

And I heard you build momentum as you do consecutive wallruns. That true?

Not exactly. I have been wallrunning and then spinning around and double jumping to climb buildings quickly. You do build up speed.

Utnac

Banned
AI in the videos I've seen looks to be essentially stationary or even pre-programmed. That's going to get old fast.

Daffy Duck

I have to admit, and I maybe alone here but.......

When Titanfall was released I was excited as hell, at the time I only really played Black Ops 2, however after Ghosts felt flat and giving BF4 a whirl and falling in love with it I'm not sure Titanfall is for me now with the twitch reflexes.

I honestly want to love it because it looks awesome but I can't help thinking I'm going to be disappointed!

Alienous

The AI is controlled by the cloud supposedly. Maybe they forgot to turn it on.

I think their activity is probably fairly pre-programmed. As in, travel this route to get from here to here, stop and shoot if you see a pilot. They aren't bots, so I don't expect any kind of spontaneous player-like behaviour.

Mononoke

Banned
I have to admit, and I maybe alone here but.......

When Titanfall was released I was excited as hell, at the time I only really played Black Ops 2, however after Ghosts felt flat and giving BF4 a whirl and falling in love with it I'm not sure Titanfall is for me now with the twitch reflexes.

I honestly want to love it because it looks awesome but I can't help thinking I'm going to be disappointed!

Well, I was someone that was really skeptical about Titanfall, and I ended up loving in the Alpha test. But ultimately, it will up to the individual to play, and decide if it's something they think is fun and worth their money.

Alienous

The South African accent seals it. Respawn really like District 9.

Which is weird because the Halo (a Microsoft exclusive) film failure spawned that.

Funny how things work out.

Top Bottom