• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exclusive Invitation for an Xbox One Alpha Trial [Titanfall]

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
I bought an xbox one with titanfall as the main reason, but a bunch of friends and I jumped on bf4 as a stopgap. What's happened is I kind of find myself falling in love with bf4. It's so different to the run and gun nature of cod. You have to work as a team, holding an area as a team is a common strategy. Kills aren't the only way to contribute. I find that really refreshing, especially with all the destructible environments and classes in play.

The videos of titanfall almost look boring in comparison. I suppose if I was comparing it to cod or halo it'd look great with all the wall running and mechs coming down but from the alpha it looks kinda one dimensional. Anyone who played it care to correct me?

Some other observations, the guns look super accurate, guys are spraying with seemingly no recoil and no need to burst. Titan combat seems kind of dull, and the HUD/UI looks abit crap. It makes me think of an attempt at a HUD from the GameCube era or something.

CryptiK

Please be aware "Alphas and Betas" these days are just demos. This game is 2 months out and its still in Alpha? Yeah no. People don't understand what Alpha and Beta's were for example BF4 Beta wasn't a Beta it was a demo. This isn't an Alpha for Titanfall all the gameplay functionality is there all they are doing is a server test. What you play now is what you will play when the game comes out. Anyone stating "Basing an opinion on Alpha is dumb" you are wrong.

derFeef

Please be aware "Alphas and Betas" these days are just demos. This game is 2 months out and its still in Alpha? Yeah no. People don't understand what Alpha and Beta's were for example BF4 Beta wasn't a Beta it was a demo. This isn't an Alpha for Titanfall all the gameplay functionality is there all they are doing is a server test. What you play now is what you will play when the game comes out. Anyone stating "Basing an opinion on Alpha is dumb" you are wrong.

There is also a misunderstanding here because Alpha can as well mean network test alpha, or multiplayer/infrastructure alpha. It does not say half-finished game alpha.

CryptiK

There is also a misunderstanding here because Alpha can as well mean network test alpha, or multiplayer/infrastructure alpha. It does not say half-finished game alpha.
Indeed but when its dubbed Alpha or Beta GAMEPLAY test that strikes out that area. The issue is people are getting mad at others for basing opinions on so called Alpha Gameplay when in fact its close to the finished product and not much will change.

So is it 720p or 1080p?
It looks 720p or lower. It's difficult to say due to the textures which are incredibly bad, but they did note that was due to the alpha. My only complaint at present are the graphics and jaggies, which make it quite difficult to make players out at distances. What I suspect is the upscale to 1080p is why it looks blurry.

EL CUCO

So is it 720p or 1080p?
We have done the pixel counting and based on our own analysis and the images leaked at Titanfall Planet, the alpha version of the game is indeed running at 720p ,as was initially speculated by neogaf Insider Thuway . The resolution of the game won't likely change at release, but the texture density would change as per developer Rayme . Based on our extensive analysis of the alpha , we can also confirm that the game is indeed running at 60 fps.
Source:http://insiderp.com/Titanfall-Xbox-One-Alpha-Resolution.html

Take this with a grain of salt, as it is "Alpha" but I'd say judging from the lack of resolution talk we're getting from Respawn/EA, you can bank on 720p.

Indeed but when its dubbed Alpha or Beta GAMEPLAY test that strikes out that area. The issue is people are getting mad at others for basing opinions on so called Alpha Gameplay when in fact its close to the finished product and not much will change.

I'm sure if multiple people are having the same issues in a certain aspect of gameplay, respawn have time to address it and make changes.

CryptiK

I'm sure if multiple people are having the same issues in a certain aspect of gameplay, respawn have time to address it and make changes.
I highly doubt that. Nothing other than balancing, networking and optimisation issues would be addressed which indicates its in the Beta staging. And Beta staging is only to fix bugs which means all major features are set and ready for going Gold then onto release. So I believe everyone should base their opinion on a game that is in such a late stage of development.

GlassCity

Banned
I highly doubt that. Nothing other than balancing, networking and optimisation issues would be addressed which indicates its in the Beta staging. And Beta staging is only to fix bugs which means all major features are set and ready for going Gold then onto release. So I believe everyone should base their opinion on a game that is in such a late stage of development.

Game looks good. Can't wait to try it.

Cryptik, just curious. Have you played this game, or do you own an Xbox 1 ?

CryptiK

Game looks good. Can't wait to try it.

Cryptik, just curious. Have you played this game, or do you own an Xbox 1 ?
I do indeed own an Xbox 1. I have played the game but not the current "Alpha". As I don't live in the States I wont get access to it but I have viewed plenty of the leaked footage. I have no idea what that has to do with what I am talking about but there you go.

StratJ

Banned
This is very optimistic thinking but I've been thinking regarding the resolution of the game. Currently the whole game is set at 720p, this includes the in-game HUD, the menu's, the lobbies and everything goes through that sharpening filter.

If Respawn was set on the game being 720p. They probably would of done the work, even in Alpha stage, which would of made the UI and menu's run on a different display plane at 1080p. Since it was thuway who has reported on this, and he also reported on Respawn waiting on a "January Driver Update" then I'm inclined to believe Respawn hasn't done that work yet to wait and see if they can boost the resolution on the back of that. More than likely, they have a build running at 1080p but aren't happy with the amount of times it'll fall from 60.

Due to this, and the driver update, I'm guessing this is why it's very quiet without even a final confirmation of the game running at 720p even though we've seen the alpha at that. Since it involves MS and something which maybe they're not sure about.

GlassCity

Banned
I do indeed own an Xbox 1. I have played the game but not the current "Alpha". As I don't live in the States I wont get access to it but I have viewed plenty of the leaked footage. I have no idea what that has to do with what I am talking about but there you go.

Thanks, was just curious. Game is looking better and better to me. I won't be sold until i can play it, but it looks to be pretty fun from the leaked things i've seen.

Take this with a grain of salt, as it is "Alpha" but I'd say judging from the lack of resolution talk we're getting from Respawn/EA, you can bank on 720p.

That might be the most biased site i've seen in some time lol.

The "most impressive next gen launch title" one got me haha. The pictures they took of both games is pure gold... Such a fair comparison...

CryptiK

Thanks, was just curious. Game is looking better and better to me. I won't be sold until i can play it, but it looks to be pretty fun from the leaked things i've seen.

That might be the most biased site i've seen in some time lol.
It does look like fun. The only issue I see at the moment is the AI they look incredibly dumb. From the videos I have seen they just walk up then sit crouch and wait. Which surprises me that they were pushing the aspect of great smart AI in a multiplayer game. But then again it wouldnt be the first time the Devs at Respawn(read: IW) have lied.

Again I will be getting this for PC so its a failure to me if it doesn't have all the essential features.

720p is kind of dissapointing, albeit not very surprising. Hope they can bump it up to 900p for the full release (not that it matters, because I'll be playing 1080p on PC).

I wonder if there will be game modes where it's strictly pilots V pilots?

Like on small maps designed specifically for it with everyone jumping around and wall running like crazy.

79573919.png

Seems legit.

But yeah don't get your hopes up for a res higher than 720p.

To be fair, I still have fond memories of MW2. It was actually the last COD game I can actually say I enjoyed. For all the issues I had with it, I thought it was a really fun game. I just disagree that it was better than MW.

But I can see why some would love it. I guess upon reflecting on it, the game was pretty over the top (in the good kind of way). And while I didn't think the maps were as well design as MW (I mean in terms of balance), the maps were still likable and memorable. I really haven't liked a lot of maps from the recent COD releases. Most of them are forgettable.

You guys are also right about the netcode. Ghost's is fuckin abysmal.

I've put well over 100 hours into Ghosts and I think it has the best net code since MW2. The dedicated severs have helped immensely.

It does look like fun. The only issue I see at the moment is the AI they look incredibly dumb. From the videos I have seen they just walk up then sit crouch and wait. Which surprises me that they were pushing the aspect of great smart AI in a multiplayer game. But then again it wouldnt be the first time the Devs at Respawn(read: IW) have lied.

Again I will be getting this for PC so its a failure to me if it doesn't have all the essential features.

If the this game or any game has failure written all over why plan to get it instead of waiting and see?

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Totally agree with this. I'm also worried that there may be a lack of content considering no-one has even bothered to mention this.

Seems to me if it's just 6 vs 6 over 5 or so maps it'll get boring quickly. Why are EA/Respawn so slow to reveal more about the game?

Multiplayer is often the reason that a game that normally doesn't have much of a singleplayer campaign (let's look at a CoD or even a Battlefield here) has a lot of replayability. I don't think content will be an issue with TitanFall because it seems to me that the gameplay is varied enough to be interesting (although, granted, I have not yet played the game). Also, I believe there is the "campaign multiplayer" mode and the regular, normal matchmaking multiplayer modes that we're used to in regular multiplayer games as well.

Totally agree with this. I'm also worried that there may be a lack of content considering no-one has even bothered to mention this.

Seems to me if it's just 6 vs 6 over 5 or so maps it'll get boring quickly. Why are EA/Respawn so slow to reveal more about the game?

http://www.cinemablend.com/m/games/...Gameplay-Video-Actually-Looks-Good-61711.html

A good article regarding those fears about 6v6 etc, Basically says it could wear thin eventually if there is no depth too gamemodes.

E92 M3

Been watching some Alpha footage (bless those blatant NDA breakers) and it boggles my mind how people are playing this like COD. One guys barely jumped and just ran around lol. Man is it gonna be great when it launches and people are confused about the mechanics lol. Otherwise, watching the videos gave me goosebumps -- it just looks like so much fun. If the controls are as smooth as they seem, then I will be playing this for the same length I played Halo 2.

Secondary question: What are all of the Titan modes and how effective are they?

Few minor complaints (just based on Alpha obviously): I think the 60 second lobby timer is a little long, and the match loading time did take a considerable amount of time. With that said, that can all be fixed for launch.

I have the Collectors edition preordered on Amazon for 230; I might just keep it depending how rare it will be.

Finally, we need to congratulate Bish for getting to be in Titanfall!

HK8Dh5n.jpg

Doffen

lots of stuff

The controller is really good in my opinion. It just fits perfectly.

Oddly enough, in my experience, you will survive longer if you walk around on the ground than if you jump around. Jumping on a teammates titan will also give you a pretty save passage across the larger map.

I've actually not yet been annoyed with the lobby time.

This is very optimistic thinking but I've been thinking regarding the resolution of the game. Currently the whole game is set at 720p, this includes the in-game HUD, the menu's, the lobbies and everything goes through that sharpening filter.

If Respawn was set on the game being 720p. They probably would of done the work, even in Alpha stage, which would of made the UI and menu's run on a different display plane at 1080p. Since it was thuway who has reported on this, and he also reported on Respawn waiting on a "January Driver Update" then I'm inclined to believe Respawn hasn't done that work yet to wait and see if they can boost the resolution on the back of that. More than likely, they have a build running at 1080p but aren't happy with the amount of times it'll fall from 60.

Due to this, and the driver update, I'm guessing this is why it's very quiet without even a final confirmation of the game running at 720p even though we've seen the alpha at that. Since it involves MS and something which maybe they're not sure about.

You can forget about 1080p. 900p would be a minor miracle.

Raide

Not sure if anyone can say or not due to NDA but can you catch a lift on a Friendly Titan? I saw you could do it during the Epilogue but I was wondering if that was all the time.

E92 M3

The controller is really good in my opinion. It just fits perfectly.

Oddly enough, in my experience, you will survive longer if you walk around on the ground than if you jump around. Jumping on a teammates titan will also give you a pretty save passage across the larger map.

I've actually not yet been annoyed with the lobby time.

How efficient are the Titan modes?

He knows, I told him in the 6v6 thread.

Yeah, I was sure I'd be late lol.

antitrop

It seems like the three main characters of the Militia are:

Macallan (Troy Baker)
Sarah (Abbie Heppe)
Bish (Unknown)

I like all three of them, they have cool personalities. Certainly better than you would expect for a MP shooter.

On the IMC side, they seem a little more generic, you have:

Blisk
Spyglass (IMC Robotic equivalent of Sarah)

BigDug13

I'm convinced on getting it; now the question is should I fork out some $$$ for a nice gaming PC or buy an X1...

Does your PC suck now? This game certainly won't be taxing with its source engine.

The real question to ask yourself about a twitch shooter at high speed is "keyboard/mouse or controller".

Not sure if anyone can say or not due to NDA but can you catch a lift on a Friendly Titan? I saw you could do it during the Epilogue but I was wondering if that was all the time.

Yup. Your view is slightly blocked straight ahead but aiming to the side and behind is unobstructed. Pretty neat when you hop on.

antitrop

Just from watching videos, I find the draw distance to be extremely impressive. There really is a lot of detail extending far out into the universe. It doesn't just seem like tiny little closed off CoD maps, it really gives off a KZ: SF vibe where they fleshed out the areas of the screen that you can't actually travel to, but it makes everything feel a lot more busy. Not like you're just fighting in a little box.

There's a part in the video where the guy gets on top of a tower in Angel City and you can see way out into the city, it's really cool.

Chobel

Does your PC suck now? This game certainly won't be taxing with its source engine.

It's not source engine, it's heavily modified source engine.

This is what the Producer of Titanfall had to say about the engine:
Drew McCoy: At this point I hate to say that it's the Source Engine.

Digital Foundry: In the same way that saying Call of Duty uses the Quake 3 engine?

Drew McCoy: Yeah, I mean we've replaced... it's a whole new renderer, all-new audio code, all-new net code, all-new input code for gamepad. There's some stuff that we've just improved but we've done massive changes. We have our own level editor, we have our own lighting, the way that maps are compiled...

Digital Foundry: But Source is fast, right? It has to be if I can play Portal 2 at 720p60 on a Surface Pro.

Drew McCoy: The thing about the Source Engine when we got it is that we actually branched from Portal 2. It was DX9, very single-threaded and they used the way that engine worked to its best possible potential for Portal. It can't render that much on-screen. The main thread just can't push out enough jobs, so we've done a huge amount of work. We didn't choose this engine because it was going to be 60, we chose this engine knowing that we'd be spending the next two years making it fast.

It's actually a pretty slow engine for showing stuff on-screen. What we have in a level now would run in single digits on what it was before - if you could even get it to load at all. It's been a huge engineering task, so what we did was put all the engineering [team] on the back-end so design [team] could be up and running at the task, otherwise engineering would have to be creating tools and design would be sitting around twiddling their thumbs. We only have a dozen or so engineers - it's pretty small for the amount of work they've done.

Digital Foundry: What's the approach with the renderer?

Drew McCoy: It's all-new. It's like going from a 360 engine to a PS3 engine - or more. It's now a 64-bit app, it's DX11, we've rewritten the way lightmaps are rendered and we have our own lighting system in it. It's not the crazy global illumination real-time everything. It's very tailor-made for our needs. We don't tend to add the whizzbang technical features just because they exist, so that's what we should have. We put more of our effort into design, gameplay and giving our artists the tools they need to make stuff look good. Good performance is our goal.

swcpig

Banned

Minor miracle? I think were just lucky the Xbox even displays images at this point, right?

Its definitely 720. I wouldn't be shocked of they exceed it but honestly - so damn fun it could be 480 and I couldn't care.

Honestly I'm probably a terrible judge of these things as I think it looks pretty good and has space ships flying in the sky and all sorts of cool stuff. I just like playing the game...

BigDug13

It's not source engine

Still doesn't look like it will be taxing on system requirements to me. At least not to be able to run it at 720p on low settings. And if they want strong sales, keeping it well optimized on PC as a twitch shooter should be priority 1.

Computer

I bought an xbox one with titanfall as the main reason, but a bunch of friends and I jumped on bf4 as a stopgap. What's happened is I kind of find myself falling in love with bf4. It's so different to the run and gun nature of cod. You have to work as a team, holding an area as a team is a common strategy. Kills aren't the only way to contribute. I find that really refreshing, especially with all the destructible environments and classes in play.

The videos of titanfall almost look boring in comparison. I suppose if I was comparing it to cod or halo it'd look great with all the wall running and mechs coming down but from the alpha it looks kinda one dimensional. Anyone who played it care to correct me?

Some other observations, the guns look super accurate, guys are spraying with seemingly no recoil and no need to burst. Titan combat seems kind of dull, and the HUD/UI looks abit crap. It makes me think of an attempt at a HUD from the GameCube era or something.
Please do not compare COD to Halo.
Halo requires a fare anount of skill to win.

E92 M3

Just from watching videos, I find the draw distance to be extremely impressive. There really is a lot of detail extending far out into the universe. It doesn't just seem like tiny little closed off CoD maps, it really gives off a KZ: SF vibe where they fleshed out the areas of the screen that you can't actually travel to, but it makes everything feel a lot more busy. Not like you're just fighting in a little box.

There's a part in the video where the guy gets on top of a tower in Angel City and you can see way out into the city, it's really cool.

Yes, I was just thinking how cool the skybox and the environment activity was.

antitrop

I wonder how embarrassing it must be to commit suicide by accidentally walking into the green light circle during your Titanfall.

StratJ

Banned
The game is in alpha, itll be pretty much a straight port from the PC with hardly any hardware specific bells and whistles. For example, optimised 8 core multithreading.

For you to think that the game will simply get the texture upgrade and not even get optimised for the platform is really stupid. It will be tight for them, and if the driver upgrades do boost by 10% its entirely possible.

Top Bottom