• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exo One - Xbox Series X Announcement Trailer

FeldMonster

Everytime I see the title Exo One pop up, my brain assumes it is the upcoming game Exo Mecha, and then I get disappointed all over again when I realize it is not.

mango drank

Played the Steam demo. While it looks gorgeous, there's a serious disconnect between the "gameplay" (?) and the visuals. Maybe the mechanics get better and more complex as you progress through the full game? But I'm not seeing any evidence of that in the trailers. Balls.

Reactions: GHG

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Looks like...what are you doing in this game again? You're a flying saucer that goes on an interplanetary journey. I don't understand what the goals of the game are. It looks fine I guess.

Need more info.

Stuart360

Played the Steam demo. While it looks gorgeous, there's a serious disconnect between the "gameplay" (?) and the visuals. Maybe the mechanics get better and more complex as you progress through the full game? But I'm not seeing any evidence of that in the trailers. Balls.
Yeah tried the demo and didnt really get it. The demo was very short though, and old.

N30RYU

Looks like made on Dreams.
The Series X does indeed Power Your Dreams...

Damm being banned for that... but I understand the reference since the purple clouds at the start does have a "texture" that resembles the ones in said game.

Game looks indeed strange gameplay wise, resembling to Flower.

Is it only releasing on Series X? or also on OneX and SeriesS?

Last edited:
Yeah looks good. At leasst equal to the likes of Resogun/Contrast that launched with PS4 so it's probably trying to be one of those interesting and complementary launch titles.

How does this look like Resogun? Have you played Resogun at all? That is one of the best arcade shooters of the last ten years, easily. This title has a Flower/Subnotica/Journey vibe to it.

This game is actually the most impressive looking next gen game shown so far. All the effects and fidelity look amazing.

giphy-downsized-medium.gif

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!

Bad: I’m sad to say we’re delaying Exo One to early 2021 due to me slowing down a fair bit since last update, because…

Good: I’m a dad now! I had a few weeks off to begin with, but working from home with a new baby around has been tough these first months. Things do seem to be calming down a little now though, so pretty confident we can finally release early next year.

Orta

Banned
Just after being released on Steam. Not much in the way of reviews yet though...

There are a few more about, 8's and 9's which is promising. Might pick it up this weekend.

Just after being released on Steam. Not much in the way of reviews yet though...

There are a few more about, 8's and 9's which is promising. Might pick it up this weekend.
Is this on Xbox GP today?

Protocol7

Some planets are really awesome.
Too bad there's no vsync (played it on SX) though, especially for a this kind of game. Incoming patch maybe?

Last edited:

CamHostage

So no console version once again?

There is a console version, and it will/did launch day-and-date. Seems like some people had trouble finding it (maybe XBL didn't synch yet?) but the creator tweeted that it should be out on PC and Xbox/Game Pass today & the webstore lists it as the 18th, so check again?

Last edited:

FlyyGOD

There is a console version, and it will/did launch day-and-date. Seems like some people had trouble finding it (maybe XBL didn't synch yet?) but the creator tweeted that it should be out on PC and Xbox/Game Pass today & the webstore lists it as the 18th, so check again?

I just did a search in game pass and found it.

Kuranghi

This game can be very very heavy at ultra settings. Sometimes it's 150fps other times 30. Gorgeous though.

I left it on high for everything except sky/clouds on ultra.

I didnt have that bad of a delta, but it was pretty large. Maybe its just frametime stutters due to other reasons (loading assets, etc) you are experiencing? Not sure if you threw a frametime graph up on it but I get stutters even after forcing exclusive fullscreen and using external v-sync + fps cap.

I actually came here to ask if anyone was experiencing these stutters (its particularly bad in the 2nd level), and if anyone else thinks the camera pans and screen shake is at half-rate compared to the refresh rate cap?

The game seems to be under 90% GPU usage on my GTX 1080 all the time so far but I still have the stutters, thats at 4K60 and I turned the refresh rate down to 30@4K and its still the same just the stutters aren't quite as long and even if I turned it down to 1080@60 and its just a tiny bit better than 4K30, still stutters. GPU usage is at ~30% at 1080p60, you'd think having such a massive overhead would be enough for frametime spikes but its kinda worse than Batman Arkham Knight in this regard, I can run that at 4K30 and its 99.9% locked to 30fps. CPU usage is usually under 20%.

I can play it at 1080p@120hz and I don't have the half-rate camera/screen shake thing happening but I'm guess thats just because half the rate of 120 would still look relatively smooth, ie 60, compared to a rate of 30 on a 60 cap.

Its a total bummer because the visuals and especially world & sound design are awesome but I can't play it when its doing that. Its meant to be relaxing I don't want to have that ruining my immersion.

I suppose the writing was on the wall from the prologue which had the same problems :( I contacted the dev four (4) separate times to let him know about this but I believe he didnt either doesn't notice stutters and/or only tested the game on a 20 or 30 series at 1080p and 1440p @ 60 (as that might be a giant enough overhead to avoid the stutters, like you can do in Batman: AK). Plus the half-rate camera movement may be intentional to simulate the crafts camera view of the world maybe? I'm not sure the screen shake being half-rate would be intentional but you see that in many games so its a more reasonable oversight.

Anyone else experiencing some or all of these things?

I left it on high for everything except sky/clouds on ultra.

I didnt have that bad of a delta, but it was pretty large. Maybe its just frametime stutters due to other reasons (loading assets, etc) you are experiencing? Not sure if you threw a frametime graph up on it but I get stutters even after forcing exclusive fullscreen and using external v-sync + fps cap.

I actually came here to ask if anyone was experiencing these stutters (its particularly bad in the 2nd level), and if anyone else thinks the camera pans and screen shake is at half-rate compared to the refresh rate cap?

The game seems to be under 90% GPU usage on my GTX 1080 all the time so far but I still have the stutters, thats at 4K60 and I turned the refresh rate down to 30@4K and its still the same just the stutters aren't quite as long and even if I turned it down to 1080@60 and its just a tiny bit better than 4K30, still stutters. GPU usage is at ~30% at 1080p60, you'd think having such a massive overhead would be enough for frametime spikes but its kinda worse than Batman Arkham Knight in this regard, I can run that at 4K30 and its 99.9% locked to 30fps. CPU usage is usually under 20%.

I can play it at 1080p@120hz and I don't have the half-rate camera/screen shake thing happening but I'm guess thats just because half the rate of 120 would still look relatively smooth, ie 60, compared to a rate of 30 on a 60 cap.

Its a total bummer because the visuals and especially world & sound design are awesome but I can't play it when its doing that. Its meant to be relaxing I don't want to have that ruining my immersion.

I suppose the writing was on the wall from the prologue which had the same problems :( I contacted the dev four (4) separate times to let him know about this but I believe he didnt either doesn't notice stutters and/or only tested the game on a 20 or 30 series at 1080p and 1440p @ 60 (as that might be a giant enough overhead to avoid the stutters, like you can do in Batman: AK). Plus the half-rate camera movement may be intentional to simulate the crafts camera view of the world maybe? I'm not sure the screen shake being half-rate would be intentional but you see that in many games so its a more reasonable oversight.

Anyone else experiencing some or all of these things?
Thanks for detailed response. I'm gonna mess around with it after the wife goes to bed and get back to you with any findings. I was at 1440p everything at max btw

Top Bottom